Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

You know that the rental impala is an entirely different model than the Impala you buy from the dealer as a consumer? Impala vs Impala Limited. I made the same mistake when I got a rental 2016 Malibu and it was the same poo poo they've been making for a decade.

Edit: Impala vs rental impala.
also: Malibu vs rental malibu

Rental fleets have the updated models as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Linedance posted:

I had a rental Impala from Enterprise back in January, and it was definitely not the fleet one you posted, it was the regular one. It was mostly forgettable, but for the weird loving hump behind the rear seats that blocks all your rear vision, so it's impossible to tell how close anything is to you. There was a small car, I think a Miata but I don't remember exactly, that was stopped behind me at a light and I couldn't see it at all, not one part of it, and it wasn't like he stopped right on my bumper. Reversing in to parking spots required a spotter too, because there was no backup camera.

I had a rental Malibu in april of this year and it was definitely the new one. It was actually pretty decent car and a pleasant unobtrusive rental. It was the first time I've driven a car with an auto-start stop feature and it was really really smooth. If I didn't know such systems existed, i'd never had noticed. Cabin layout was also reasonably nice.
But it also had that weigh rear hump that wrecked rear visibility. Thankfully mine had a backup camera.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigPaddy posted:

Iirc that is right so if you want a manual then your only choice is a Challenger. If you went for a manual I would suggest budgeting for upgrading the shifter as stock it is a bit long and wooly imo.

This is correct, about the manual not being available in the Challenger. The manual in my Challenger has kinda-long throws (I came from a manual E39, let me tell you about long throws) but my biggest issue with it is that it likes to grab second gear and I have to pull it out of second to get it into third. Not hard, but my 2-3 shift is usually a full second longer than it otherwise would be.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

A local Ford dealer emailed me saying they've got two Focus RS's coming in and are offering them at MSRP, dropping the $3000 over sticker price that they told me they were charging before. It's pretty tempting...

On the other hand I've never driven a manual before however and I drive 2 hours total each day for commuting. I have to wonder if they're going to be easier or harder to find next year when I'm actually ready to buy a car.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CornHolio posted:

This is correct, about the manual not being available in the Challenger.

The manual's not available in the Charger. It is in some trims of the Challenger, as you seem to have discovered.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

IronDoge posted:

A local Ford dealer emailed me saying they've got two Focus RS's coming in and are offering them at MSRP, dropping the $3000 over sticker price that they told me they were charging before. It's pretty tempting...

On the other hand I've never driven a manual before however and I drive 2 hours total each day for commuting. I have to wonder if they're going to be easier or harder to find next year when I'm actually ready to buy a car.

You're me. Do it. The car is amazing, and learning manual on this car is cake it revs a bit when you let out the clutch in first so it's really hard to stall once you aren't dumping the clutch too early from fear of burning it or pressure to get moving faster. I would think they may be easier to find and may have any or all kinks worked out by next year(I haven't run into any).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IronDoge posted:

You will hate your life commuting 2 hours a day in an RS.
It might be cool for a little while but ugh. No.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Why? I did a 5.3L lsx swap in a s10 blazer 2dr without a/c for a couple years. Loved it. Shooting my steel belt sparks out the back was fun.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

skipdogg posted:

Reason being?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

skipdogg posted:

I've done this in a few WRXs and AW11s over the years. It's bearable but about once a week on the way home you're going to be weighing up if buying a cheap auto daily in addition to the RS..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It depends on the nature of your commute as well. If you're an hour each way on two lane roads with little traffic, it probably won't bother you and would be fun. If you're an hour each way in heavy stop and go traffic on the freeway, it will probably not be much fun.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It depends on the nature of your commute as well. If you're an hour each way on two lane roads with little traffic, it probably won't bother you and would be fun. If you're an hour each way in heavy stop and go traffic on the freeway, it will probably not be much fun.

What better way is there to learn clutch control?
Its down to personal preference though, I quite enjoyed my half hours in heavy traffic with a twin plate clutch and ultralight flywheel.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

88h88 posted:

Reason being?

Driving a 'sports car' every day really takes the fun out of owning one as your only vehicle. I DD'd two manual miatas, a BMW 325ci and a mini cooper, all manuals, and I went screaming back to automatics every time. Reason being? Traffic in Houston is hell. I could suck it up and not be a baby, but honestly after 11 hours at work, I just want to loving zone out and go home and listen to audio books. With a manual I have to listen to the engine to hear what it's doing so I don't stall it. You'll be maddened by how slowly automatics around you can get going and how you have to time every last thing. Honestly, if you want a fuckaround car, keep whatever your daily is that's automatic and find a cheap, fun manual car as a side-bitch, like a miata.

If the RS clutch is anything like the Mazdaspeed 6, and I have every reason to think it will be, you will hate traffic, as well as life, because that fucker is on or off, no progressive uptake like a miata. A nice compromise would be the BRZ or 350z. Both of those have very manageable clutches, and the 350z made me drive like more of an rear end in a top hat than even the BMW let me do.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah focus St has. Button clutch. Wouldn't you prefer a lightweight button though? My 350z hr clutch is heavy and wears your leg out. I guess free work out

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeah focus St has. Button clutch. Wouldn't you prefer a lightweight button though? My 350z hr clutch is heavy and wears your leg out. I guess free work out

350z has torque off-idle where the 4cyls with button clutches and turbos tend to be stall-o-matics if you don't rev them up first in my experience. The 350 and the miata both, you could slip them into first off-idle no problem. The BMW clutch delay valves in both the 325 and the mini made that pretty much impossible or horribly jerky. gently caress BMW forever for that poo poo.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I DD a flashed 500 Abarth convertible with a manual transmission. It's a lot of fun every day that I don't hit traffic, which is to say one day per week. Every now and then I'll take our Ford Flex to workx and it's like a little vacation.

The Abarth is still my favorite car.

*edit* every now and then I have to take her 500 non turbo to work and jeeesus christ. It's more comfortable than the Abarth, but it's so goddamn anemic.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 7, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If I had garage space, money, and a wife amenable to such plots, I'd have my shitbox base auto subaru as a DD and an Exocet for Fridays/weekends. A turbo Exocet :awesome:

e: hngggggg

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

The manual's not available in the Charger. It is in some trims of the Challenger, as you seem to have discovered.

Oh. Uh, Yeah. My heart meant Charger, my fingers just like typing Challenger.

You all knew what I meant though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

88h88 posted:

Reason being?

I admittedly don't know much about how the RS rides or drives, or how comfortable the seats are. Nor do I know what his commute is like. I commute 170 miles round trip between Austin and San Antonio sometimes for work (I used to do it 2 or 3 times a week) and the thought of making that commute and dealing with Austin traffic in a vehcle like my old SRT-4 just makes me say Nope Nope Nope.

My old SRT-4 was somewhat modded, solid motor mounts, downpipe and exhaust, lowering springs, and there is no loving way I would want to commute 2 hours a day in a car like that. The "viper inspired" seats weren't that comfortable for trips over an hour, the constant stop and go of rush hour traffic, forget it.

I'm older now though, I value a comfortable environment more than I did back then.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What better way is there to learn clutch control?
Its down to personal preference though, I quite enjoyed my half hours in heavy traffic with a twin plate clutch and ultralight flywheel.

Even if I tried my best not to slip it too much, my clutch would overheat in stop and go traffic to the point that you could smell it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd definitely at least test drive the Focus. It can't be that bad, it's a modern Focus with a big engine/turbo after all. And unless you're in literal stop and go traffic for the whole duration of the commute, manual vs automatic shouldn't be an issue either, regular people do it all the time without going insane.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd definitely at least test drive the Focus. It can't be that bad, it's a modern Focus with a big engine/turbo after all. And unless you're in literal stop and go traffic for the whole duration of the commute, manual vs automatic shouldn't be an issue either, regular people do it all the time without going insane.

That's not true I died every time also my foot fell off and my wife left me.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

mobby_6kl posted:

FWIW, Matt Farah just got his RS, which he plans to DD for at least the duration of the warranty. He describes it as both easy to drive, light clutch, excellent gearbox, luxurious and very comfortable. Does complain that it might be too quiet for his liking!

https://youtu.be/ep10ChjKVuQ

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are some rumors that Chevy is going to throw a supercharged engine into the SS for what might be the last model year, so that would be cool.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Let's not listen to the guy that actually drives an RS 70 miles a day commuting and speculate about it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KidDynamite posted:

Let's not listen to the guy that actually drives an RS 70 miles a day commuting and speculate about it.

I was all for it anyway, modern manual cars really aren't an issue in traffic unless you're a goober with the thigh strength of a newborn baby with a muscle wasting disease.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The only time manuals are an issue is when traffic is moving slower than first gear idle speed, you either have to slip the clutch (which is bad for the clutch) or stop and go a lot (which can enrage people behind you, I've found).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fknlo posted:

There are some rumors that Chevy is going to throw a supercharged engine into the SS for what might be the last model year, so that would be cool.

Please let this happen and please let it be manual

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dislike button posted:

Please let this happen and please let it be manual

Good luck finding one. I think they make 2 a year. Also I would bet the manual can't handle the power of the supercharger version so no manual with that option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Good luck finding one. I think they make 2 a year. Also I would bet the manual can't handle the power of the supercharger version so no manual with that option.

What? The SS uses a TR-6060. Same transmission as the Camaro ZL1.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There's several manual SSs around me for sale right now, I kind of wish I'd test drove one before I got my Silverado but the only one they had there was an auto. An SS with the CTS-V drivetrain for like $60K would be killer though

Edit: I didn't realize the 2016 CTS-V no longer comes in manual

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 8, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What? The SS uses a TR-6060. Same transmission as the Camaro ZL1.

Also the same as the Viper and the Challenger Hellcat. It'll handle the power no problem.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I think Chevy may have tried to straddle the "old men who like fast Chebbies" demographic and the younger, Internet-using enthusiast demographic when making the SS - and failed to entice either. Old men will just get a Corvette since they don't need sedans - the SS might have worked for them if the styling was more retro like what Dodge is doing with its muscle cars. Enthusiasts can get fast sexy sedans anywhere so a bland one isn't that enticing, but if it was a wagon...(I would've paid 40k for a better-styled wagon version called the Nomad).

OK now we can rehash the "what people say they want on the Internet and what they actually buy are two different things" argument we always have.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
your younger, enthusiast demographic is also broke as a joke

blk
Dec 19, 2009

go3 posted:

your younger, enthusiast demographic is also broke as a joke

I'm leaning more towards 30 and 40 somethings with kids - a 40k hot wagon would be competitively priced with SUVs and crossovers typically bought in the upper middle class demo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

I'm leaning more towards 30 and 40 somethings with kids

Those people are also broke as a joke, they just have slightly better credit score by virtue of not being 20.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

blk posted:

I think Chevy may have tried to straddle the "old men who like fast Chebbies" demographic and the younger, Internet-using enthusiast demographic when making the SS - and failed to entice either. Old men will just get a Corvette since they don't need sedans - the SS might have worked for them if the styling was more retro like what Dodge is doing with its muscle cars. Enthusiasts can get fast sexy sedans anywhere so a bland one isn't that enticing, but if it was a wagon...(I would've paid 40k for a better-styled wagon version called the Nomad).

OK now we can rehash the "what people say they want on the Internet and what they actually buy are two different things" argument we always have.

The CTS-V manual wagon sold like utter garbage, how is your proposed car going to be significantly different? So cheap that it's difficult to turn a profit on? (you're talking an effective ~14% discount on the current SS at 40k OTD)

I like your idea, for me, and you, as individuals, but it's not too surprising GM brass said no. The SS is only sold here because the Caprice is sold here so there's a lot of regulatory overlap and efficiency. A wagon would need separate federalization.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

blk posted:

(I would've paid 40k for a better-styled wagon version called the Nomad).

No you loving wouldn't. What the hell do you have in your car right now that you cannot live without and that will fit in a Caprice wagon but not in a caprice sedan? Some kind of really tall potted plant? A grandfather clock? Take a picture of this thing and how it to us because I don't believe you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
That's uh. A pretty angry response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

No you loving wouldn't. What the hell do you have in your car right now that you cannot live without and that will fit in a Caprice wagon but not in a caprice sedan? Some kind of really tall potted plant? A grandfather clock? Take a picture of this thing and how it to us because I don't believe you.

Maybe a dog cage? A selection of fine Ikea flat pack furniture? Bags and assorted luggage for 4 or 5 people going on vacation? A Leslie amp+speaker? A 24-channel mixing desk? A set of JBL JRX125 speakers? A couple of Fat Boy beanbag chairs? Literally hundreds of other things that people regularly load into their wagons or SUVs?

There have been plenty of situations where I've been annoyed that I bought a sedan instead of a wagon, more than enough that I've made up my mind that my next car will be a wagon (or a very roomy hatchback). The Leslie amp in particular just barely fit in the back seat, and I scraped up interior door handles manhandling it in and out of there.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 8, 2016