Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Throatwarbler posted:

No you loving wouldn't. What the hell do you have in your car right now that you cannot live without and that will fit in a Caprice wagon but not in a caprice sedan? Some kind of really tall potted plant? A grandfather clock? Take a picture of this thing and how it to us because I don't believe you.

I have no idea what you're even mad about here.

Chill the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is why I have five cars of various cargo capacities.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The CTS-V manual wagon sold like utter garbage, how is your proposed car going to be significantly different? So cheap that it's difficult to turn a profit on? (you're talking an effective ~14% discount on the current SS at 40k OTD)

I like your idea, for me, and you, as individuals, but it's not too surprising GM brass said no. The SS is only sold here because the Caprice is sold here so there's a lot of regulatory overlap and efficiency. A wagon would need separate federalization.

I forgot about Federalization costs, but I don't think a SS wagon would be any further off the mark than a SS sedan. They're obviously both niche products but I think the wagon might cast a wider net for buyers, if we imagined all other things equal. Cadillac was a different brand and demo, and the V wagon was ugly (sorry Tremek).

Throatwarbler posted:

No you loving wouldn't. What the hell do you have in your car right now that you cannot live without and that will fit in a Caprice wagon but not in a caprice sedan? Some kind of really tall potted plant? A grandfather clock? Take a picture of this thing and how it to us because I don't believe you.

Sorry you can't handle my active lifestyle bruh - I move lots of bicycles and animals and craigslist furniture and building/landscaping materials for perpetual house remodeling. I frequently run out of room in my existing hatch.

And actually yeah, I'm moving a grandfather clock later this year.

blk fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 8, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The current Commodore wagon has bugger all room in the back anyway - obviously an improvement over the sedan but nothing like the massive wagons of old.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No one on this forum would pay 40k for a manual-transmission high performance station wagon.

This forum wants other people to pay 40k for a manual-transmission high performance station wagon, so that they can buy one for 6k from a junkyard five years later.

Car companies build cars for the people who buy them new, not the ones who smugly proclaim that they've never bought a new car because they don't pay the dealer tax.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

No one on this forum would pay 40k for a manual-transmission high performance station wagon.

I would if I could :sigh:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I would if I could :sigh:

Sagebrush posted:

This forum wants other people to pay 40k for a manual-transmission high performance station wagon, so that they can buy one for 6k from a junkyard five years later.

Car companies build cars for the people who buy them new, not the ones who smugly proclaim that they've never bought a new car because they don't pay the dealer tax.

I'd take the hit if it was available.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

I absolutely would.

Hell, I just paid $37k for a manual-transmission high performance coupe, and only that because the sedan was auto-only. Even though the sedan would have been more practical and get better fuel economy. If I could get a high performance manual transmission wagon for about that price, I'd be all loving over it.

It's less of an issue since I have a truck, but still. I'd buy it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I would I just paid 40k for a hot hatch.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sagebrush posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking at getting a V90 for her. She'd prefer a stick but unfortunately it doesn't come with one.

We need something in the next few months though, so she'll probably end up with a Macan or X3 or something. :sigh:

No I haven't proposed yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What car has four doors and a hatch, costs about $33k CAD and breaks the tires loose when you punch it at 45 mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxEvd9oXtvY

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Sagebrush posted:

I bought an SRT8 Magnum and if they made a manual version of it I would have gotten it with that.

Not to say that a manual SS wagon would be a hot seller but there are people who would buy it in a heart beat if it looked good and performed well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That Chevy spark went from 20 to 40 really fast

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is it just me, or does the G meter feel backwards? I feel like it should fall towards you for acceleration, and away for braking, but maybe I'm not thinking about it right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raluek posted:

Is it just me, or does the G meter feel backwards? I feel like it should fall towards you for acceleration, and away for braking, but maybe I'm not thinking about it right.

Like a throttle?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blk posted:

I'm leaning more towards 30 and 40 somethings with kids - a 40k hot wagon would be competitively priced with SUVs and crossovers typically bought in the upper middle class demo

Those people do not buy wagons. In fact, nobody buys wagons.

GM already did exactly what you asked and made the CTS and CTS-V wagons for six years. Nobody bought them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terrible Robot posted:

I have no idea what you're even mad about here.

Chill the gently caress out.

The extremely loud brown manual diesel wagon crowd does not seem to have shrunk at all even though any combination of those things keep popping up and then dying horribly because, surprise, vocal internet people don't actually represent a meaningful market.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mange Mite posted:

The extremely loud brown manual diesel wagon crowd does not seem to have shrunk at all even though any combination of those things keep popping up and then dying horribly because, surprise, vocal internet people don't actually represent a meaningful market.

I dunno VW did plenty in killing the brown diesel wagon market

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe a dog cage? A selection of fine Ikea flat pack furniture? Bags and assorted luggage for 4 or 5 people going on vacation? A Leslie amp+speaker? A 24-channel mixing desk? A set of JBL JRX125 speakers? A couple of Fat Boy beanbag chairs? Literally hundreds of other things that people regularly load into their wagons or SUVs?

There have been plenty of situations where I've been annoyed that I bought a sedan instead of a wagon, more than enough that I've made up my mind that my next car will be a wagon (or a very roomy hatchback). The Leslie amp in particular just barely fit in the back seat, and I scraped up interior door handles manhandling it in and out of there.

Nobody in North America buys wagons. Anybody who says they would buy a wagon or want a wagon is lying. gently caress off with your stupid garbage crap vehicles that no-one cares about or buys here. Invest the money into actual sports cars please.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Why buy a good looking coupe when I can buy a dumpy looking pile of poo poo ?" - Internet car forums.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well I'm not gonna spend 40k on any one vehicle but I'd love a turbo Optima wagon. And if for some reason it became rwd and had 300+ hp I guess I could spend a little more and ditch my second car. I was never interested in wagons as heavy as the Magnum or CTS though.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If you're married, why not banish the wife to SUV-land and get a sports car?

I need extra space so rarely that I just rent a van from Home Depot for $40.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Those people do not buy wagons. In fact, nobody buys wagons.

GM already did exactly what you asked and made the CTS and CTS-V wagons for six years. Nobody bought them.

CTS wagon was an ugly non-performance wagon that cost $55k with regular options. CTS-V was an ugly performance wagon that cost $75k with regular options. Both came from a brand that was Kryptonite for car enthusiasts and just now starting to find it's legs.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nobody in North America buys wagons. Anybody who says they would buy a wagon or want a wagon is lying. gently caress off with your stupid garbage crap vehicles that no-one cares about or buys here. Invest the money into actual sports cars please.

Mange Mite posted:

A performance wagon would never be a volume seller but my point is it'd do better than the bland-as-gently caress SS sedan. Sedans are even more worthless than wagons. Look how well performance wagons retain value, like the CTS-V, then consider that the SS will be the last V8 four door offered by GM. An SS wagon would be a much different value proposition considering that it would be the last of a breed, and that's why I'd be willing to spend fat stacks on one if it looked right, and others probably would as well. V wagons hold value better than G8 GXPs.

Human Grand Prix posted:

"Why buy a good looking coupe when I can buy a dumpy looking pile of poo poo ?" - Internet car forums.

I have a bachelor sportsmobile for when I'm alone, but having a car that supports a real person's life is helpful too. Wagons do everything crossovers do better without driving like total poo poo. You have a very limited imagination.

oRenj9 posted:

If you're married, why not banish the wife to SUV-land and get a sports car?

Because I want to participate in the parenting of my kid?

People are falling over themselves to pay 40k+ for an abbreviated wagon called the FocusRS, it's not much of a leap for an LS longroof.

Edit: just to reiterate, my argument is that I think the SS would do better as a wagon than a sedan. It's going to be a niche product either way, but most niche buyers would take a hot wagon over a RWD Impala.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 9, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I doubt many people are cross shopping the mother of all hot hatches and a Commodore (wagon or not)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dissss posted:

I doubt many people are cross shopping the mother of all hot hatches and a Commodore (wagon or not)

We'll never know because they only get the first option in the states.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

blk posted:

We'll never know because they only get the first option in the states.

Well my market does get both options* so you can get a pretty fair idea from there.

* At least in theory, the RS is apparently hard to actually get a hold of

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I would most certainly buy the Golf R wagon if it showed up here to the USA even without the manual transmission and would glady trade in my current Golf R for the privilege. And certainly also buy a Focus RS Wagon are you kidding me that would own so hard.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dissss posted:

Well my market does get both options* so you can get a pretty fair idea from there.

* At least in theory, the RS is apparently hard to actually get a hold of

I can't speak for the Aus market because four door VFs are a novelty in the US and something to grab when they're (rarely) available.

I can tell you that I wouldn't buy a new hot hatch now that I have a family, and in that regard I wouldn't cross shop the FoRS and a SS wagon because one carries immensely more utility. The closest comparison I can think of is the V90 wagon, but that's not a performance car at all and will depreciate a lot harder than any GM performance wagon ever would.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

euphronius posted:

That Chevy spark went from 20 to 40 really fast

Welcome to modern electric cars :getin:

I never thought I would ever say this, but I kinda want a Chevy Spark after watching that video.

Raluek posted:

It's not a G meter, it's a power flow indicator. Upwards is power going out from the battery, downwards is power going into the battery. It's a really handy indicator that most electric cars have in one way or another, it really helps gauge how much you're actually benefitting from engine braking regeneration.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Because some of us only want or need or can only afford one car, and we want it to be both practical and a bit fun.

And because wagons are just awesome, full stop.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I feel like I need to point out that Americans only stopped buying wagons because the manufacturers tricked the masses into thinking that they need an SUV to transport one child and a small dog by way of the good old fashioned "bigger is better" American attitude

Wagons sold very well for a drat long time before everyone decided they needed an extra 3" of lift, less interior space, and a pack of my family stickers. They still sell very well in Australia and the U.K., too.

And at the end of the day pretty much every SUV is just about a lifted, slightly shittier wagon so arguably you DO still buy wagons

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

literally a fish posted:

I feel like I need to point out that Americans only stopped buying wagons because the manufacturers tricked the masses into thinking that they need an SUV to transport one child and a small dog by way of the good old fashioned "bigger is better" American attitude

Wagons sold very well for a drat long time before everyone decided they needed an extra 3" of lift, less interior space, and a pack of my family stickers. They still sell very well in Australia and the U.K., too.

And at the end of the day pretty much every SUV is just about a lifted, slightly shittier wagon so arguably you DO still buy wagons

What do you mean "bigger is better" your classic wagons like the Country Squire or Caprice Wagon were loving boats and were larger in pretty much every dimension except height than current bestselling crossovers like the CRV, etc. A Country Squire is 216 inches long - that's longer than an Escalade - and weighed two tons.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I bought a wagon and want more wagons. They're fantastic and I think more Americans are starting to realize that again.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Mange Mite posted:

What do you mean "bigger is better" your classic wagons like the Country Squire or Caprice Wagon were loving boats and were larger in pretty much every dimension except height than current bestselling crossovers like the CRV, etc. A Country Squire is 216 inches long - that's longer than an Escalade - and weighed two tons.

And then you have the smaller "compact" and later actual-compact cars that followed them during the oil crisis and ensuing years iirc

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I bought a wagon and want more wagons. They're fantastic and I think more Americans are starting to realize that again.

I think people are finally starting to work out that SUVs are not a requirement the moment you have a child or dog or 30 foot gravel driveway yes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

literally a fish posted:

And then you have the smaller "compact" and later actual-compact cars that followed them during the oil crisis and ensuing years iirc

They made those huge wagons until the 90s. Then nobody bought the compact wagons, they just switched to equally huge SUVs and minivans, which is why they stopped making them. Bigger has always been better in the US because gas is cheap and we don't have tiny 18th century streets with unmarked parking so there's no real advantage to a smaller car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blk posted:

CTS wagon was an ugly non-performance wagon that cost $55k with regular options. CTS-V was an ugly performance wagon that cost $75k with regular options. Both came from a brand that was Kryptonite for car enthusiasts and just now starting to find it's legs.

A performance wagon would never be a volume seller but my point is it'd do better than the bland-as-gently caress SS sedan. Sedans are even more worthless than wagons. Look how well performance wagons retain value, like the CTS-V, then consider that the SS will be the last V8 four door offered by GM. An SS wagon would be a much different value proposition considering that it would be the last of a breed, and that's why I'd be willing to spend fat stacks on one if it looked right, and others probably would as well. V wagons hold value better than G8 GXPs.

It's not about being a volume seller, it's about any sales at all. Wagons sell extremely terribly, as in usually a couple hundred sales annually. And all the internet loudmouths who constantly clamour for wagons and small cheap sports cars don't ever buy them. The instant the cars actually come out, they just make excuses about price and power. You mean a tiny niche product costs more and is a worse value than a massive volume model? No sale, sir. Come back to me when this 300 hp awd wagon/coupe also costs no more than an economy car. Maybe then we'll talk.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
We sold 4500 commodore wagons last year alone and we're smaller than Texas (in population)

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 9, 2016

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mange Mite posted:

It's not about being a volume seller, it's about any sales at all. Wagons sell extremely terribly, as in usually a couple hundred sales annually. And all the internet loudmouths who constantly clamour for wagons and small cheap sports cars don't ever buy them. The instant the cars actually come out, they just make excuses about price and power. You mean a tiny niche product costs more and is a worse value than a massive volume model? No sale, sir. Come back to me when this 300 hp awd wagon/coupe also costs no more than an economy car. Maybe then we'll talk.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/04/dodge-magnum-sales-figures-usa-canada.html

When they were actually advertised they sold decently and this was during a pretty big SUV sales period

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mange Mite posted:

Except the Escalade weighs 3 tons

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
And the Escalade ESV is 224" long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ill probably end up buying a Volvo V60 for my wife at some point if not myself if the Fusion Sport is a disaster