Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
Well guys, This product is the Nintendo NX, hate to break the sad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Vinja Ninja posted:

lmao i hope so

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm amused at how this apparently has more suspend data slots than the more expensive per-game virtual console releases on the Wii U.

I'm not particularly tied to NES gaming memories as I am the SNES, so I won't be getting one. If they release an SNES one of these, though, and the selection of games is right, I'm on that poo poo day one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was a couple years too young to get big into the NES so this is super tempting. If they make a SNES one I'm there on release night.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The Vinja Ninja posted:

If it played cartridges (it doesn't) and they started releasing new games for it (they won't) it would be the exact opposite of sad news. Just decide the last 30 years of technical advancement are a fever dream. Have a coupon inside for a free issue of the relaunched Nintendo Power.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'd pay 4 times as much as this for an SNES version

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Just FYI you can make a raspberry pi 3 box that will emulate through N64/PSX for *almost* this cost. I think you can bluetooth your PS3/PS4 controllers to it, too.

Not that I don't want one of these. I definitely want one of these. Just, you know. FYI.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I'd pay 4 times as much as this for an SNES version

You already almost can, if by 4 you mean 10.

It also doubles as a cart dumper for the systems it supports (Famicom, NES if you get a pin converter, Super Famicom and SNES, Genesis/Megadrive, Game Boy and Game Boy Advance, PC Engine, and with an sold-separately adapter, Sega Master System and Game Gear). Has 4 gigs internal, and a microSD slot you can load ROMs from.

The emulation on it is stupidly solid, has handled everything I've thrown at it including special chip games.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is the 30 games all you'll get? Having some connection to the Nintendo online store to buy more NES games would be a good idea.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nostalgia is all well and good in some ways but why would anyone buy this? Are there that many people who still desire to play NES Mario who don't know how to use emulators? Or people who want to play Tecmo Bowl who don't already play Madden?

The funny thing is I know this is going to sell bajillions of units but each one will get used maybe like twice in this fashion

- Play one game for 10 minutes
- Switch to another game, play for 15 minutes
- Switch to another, play for 5 minutes
- ....oh that's it huh
- Boot up PS4 or play Candy Crush

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I can see carting it around to grandma's house.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

There's an appeal to being able to play these on your couch with a friend/family member instead of hunched over your laptop in the office.

Please stop up before you talk about putting a drat PC in the living room with a gamepad. No one who's not PC master race uber alles weird would do that.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Waffles Inc. posted:

Nostalgia is all well and good in some ways but why would anyone buy this? Are there that many people who still desire to play NES Mario who don't know how to use emulators? Or people who want to play Tecmo Bowl who don't already play Madden?

The funny thing is I know this is going to sell bajillions of units but each one will get used maybe like twice in this fashion

- Play one game for 10 minutes
- Switch to another game, play for 15 minutes
- Switch to another, play for 5 minutes
- ....oh that's it huh
- Boot up PS4 or play Candy Crush

- boot up play through the entirety of Adventures of Link
- store away for months or years
- boot up play through the entirety of Adventures of Link

worth $60 imho

Nail Rat posted:

There's an appeal to being able to play these on your couch with a friend/family member instead of hunched over your laptop in the office.

Please stop up before you talk about putting a drat PC in the living room with a gamepad. No one who's not PC master race uber alles weird would do that.

I have a drat PC in my living room solely because it's the only platform that every streaming service works on.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, I have a laptop I mostly keep by the TV for watching stuff on Netflix and I occasionally play games on it, but even I want a tiny adorable NES to hook up to my TV.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Germstore posted:

I have a drat PC in my living room solely because it's the only platform that every streaming service works on.

I guess I can see it if you need 9 streaming services. Most people have something else that will play the 1 or 2 they use though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No ninja turtles, pass.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

*checks through list looking for ninja gaiden*
*starts sweating*

Oh wait it is there!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the most impressive thing is that they were able to add a good selection of quality third-party games and didn't feel compelled to add all those middling early NES games that bogged down NES Remix.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
LOL at motherfuckers wanting this to play carts who don't already own them. Like those 30 games will cost you $300+ unless you luck into a garage sale or thrift store find. Also the the original NES is a pile of poo poo gently caress that thing.

Oh poo poo I didn't hold down the reset button there goes my Zelda save.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It's interesting seeing a lot of people say stuff like "OTHER COMPANIES HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOREVER BUT NINTENDO DOES IT YEARS AFTER THE FACT AND EVERYONE GOES CRAZY, KILL ME NOW".

Had Nintendo thrown 30 of their own games on there, many of which are trash or just not very good (Urban Champion, Gyromite, etc) then I'd probably agree. However, this line-up is really drat good and includes much of the true meat of the NES line-up, a lot of which is third party, with save states. The system, controllers, and even box also look fantastic. There are several games on here that I've never played through in entirety and I'm looking forward to being able to do it on my tv.

They are going to sell so many of these things.

Also, sign me up for the SNES version of this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does the lid open up? I hope it does.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i have a top loading nes so i will not be buying this product

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gorgolflox posted:

LOL at motherfuckers wanting this to play carts who don't already own them. Like those 30 games will cost you $300+ unless you luck into a garage sale or thrift store find. Also the the original NES is a pile of poo poo gently caress that thing.

poo poo, I've been holding onto my stuff just for nostalgia's sake because I figured it wasn't worth much, maybe I should sell it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does the lid open up? I hope it does.

of course. where else would you place the games

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Looks like a must buy with a 2nd controller :getin:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One game I feel this is missing is any of the four Dragon Quest games. If they had put III in here I'd buy it for that alone. I'm surprised it's not there considering its cultural significance in Japan.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SettingSun posted:

One game I feel this is missing is any of the four Dragon Quest games. If they had put III in here I'd buy it for that alone. I'm surprised it's not there considering its cultural significance in Japan.

Its overseas presence is super-weird, and I think they've been avoiding the NES titles due to using the outdated "Dragon Warrior" title.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Nail Rat posted:

I guess I can see it if you need 9 streaming services. Most people have something else that will play the 1 or 2 they use though.

Individual networks had streaming video and apps didn't exist or would cost money- past tense, cable companies have gotten things on lock recently. Either way it doubles as the kids computer; I'll admit I don't think I would have gone with a PC if it wasn't pulling double duty.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
It's got Gradius. I'm in. I'm in!!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Already own all the games listed on that thing, and bought one of those Blinking Light Win replacement connectors several months ago so I'm good.

But I'm gonna probably buy this anyway.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
For those in Europe, the PAL version is 60Hz for everything.

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
I loved so many of the games on the list growing up. I've been trying to figure out a way to get these games into the hands of my kids without having to set up a dedicated emulation PC or shell out massive amounts of cash to buy the old system or buy them on VC. If this gets my kids hooked on gaming, then it'll be mission accomplished, even if my wife gets mad at me.

Also, sign me up for a SNES version. If the game selection for that is half as good as this, then I'm in.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Between this and Pokemon Go, it seems Nintendo is hitting the right marks to off-set the Wii-U failure while they gear up for the next phase.

Good on them, I suppose. I'm sure I'm not the only guy in line for the NX who sat out on the Wii U so things are looking up for Big N.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i hope this thing is amiibo supported like the nx

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

But...no Blades of Steel. :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd like to commend them on their wisdom to include Megaman 2 over the terrible first game

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd like to commend them on their wisdom to include Megaman 2 over the terrible first game

Megaman 3 was the best on the NES though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Mario's? Check
Metroid? Check
Zelda? Check
Megaman? One Half Check.

Solid Selection.

With honorable mention to Double Dragon and Star Tropics.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
This seems like a cool gift idea for people who don't really play games anymore but grew up with a Nintendo. I can think of quite a few friends and relatives who don't have consoles and wouldn't want to deal with emulators, but if they got one of these they'd enjoy and use it. "Hahaha whoa no way I used to play the poo poo out of this oh man this was fun let's see if I'm still any good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Garage sales are a complete dead-end for retro gaming unless you're the kind of person who stands outside a 9AM garage sale at 8:30 waiting for the sale to open up, and even then its super-rare because everyone but the most out-of-touch old people cleaning out their basement knows that poo poo sells these days. It's really frustrating tbh, I used to find NES and SNES games at garage sales all the loving time around 10 years ago.

That said, while this is a cool idea, for $59.99 you could get a Raspberry Pi with enclosure, SD card, NES USB controller and have the entire NES library on it. Plus since you're doing emulation there's all sorts of filters and poo poo you can use to make the "NES displayed on an HDTV looks like poo poo" curse go away. Hell, might as well get an SNES controller instead and go whole-hog, since you can most likely fit every single video game released before like 1994 on a single 32gig SD card

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 14, 2016