Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
dat maddox poster

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

between the picture quality, chair and maddox poster I'd believe that picture is from 2004.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks relatively clean, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're doing laundry.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Or it probably had something to do with this:

64fanatic posted:

Just moved

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Zorilla posted:

Or it probably had something to do with this:

Yeah... when I move in somewhere I set up my desk... put posters on the wall.. game a little.. post on SA then on like day 2-3 I put a mattress cover on my bed.

Probably had to do with this:

nerd priorities

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

benisntfunny posted:

Yeah... when I move in somewhere I set up my desk... put posters on the wall.. game a little.. post on SA then on like day 2-3 I put a mattress cover on my bed.

Probably had to do with this:

nerd priorities

I moved in 3 years ago and I still have stuff in boxes and bag, the computer and internet was the first thing installed and that was it..

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm moving soon, I'll make sure to put the mattress cover on before going online!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

I moved in 3 years ago and I still have stuff in boxes and bag, the computer and internet was the first thing installed and that was it..

Same, 3 boxes of crap I was meant to sort through sitting for a year. It's just so conveniently out of the way. :smith:

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Finally got my desk set back up the way I like it after the move. Cable management on this thing is difficult but I'm mostly happy how it came out.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Nice M1! What are the specs?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That doesn't seem thermally optimal for the MacBook.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

beepsandboops posted:

Nice M1! What are the specs?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mvyvpg

Really enjoyed building that guy. The GPU is still a bit louder when playing games then I'd like, not sure I'd go with a micro next go around.

Josh Lyman posted:

And? lol

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

ILikeVoltron posted:

Finally got my desk set back up the way I like it after the move. Cable management on this thing is difficult but I'm mostly happy how it came out.

/hi5 Embody color scheme bro!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Josh Lyman posted:

It's fine. I've had one of those for over a year with no issue.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

ILikeVoltron posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mvyvpg

Really enjoyed building that guy. The GPU is still a bit louder when playing games then I'd like, not sure I'd go with a micro next go around.

Hey NCASE M1 & MBP buddy.

My M1 build isn't quiet while gaming, but I use headphones so it's no problem.

What chair is that and do you recommend it?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

dema posted:

It is a Herman Miller Embody and I highly recommend it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

dema posted:

Hey NCASE M1 & MBP buddy.

My M1 build isn't quiet while gaming, but I use headphones so it's no problem.

As mentioned, it's an Embody and they are quite amazing. Pricy, but amazing. Re: Noise; It's usually pretty quiet, but some newer games with high graphics you can hear the 970 really chewing it up. I've got it down to silent while not gaming though.

beefnoodle posted:

It's fine. I've had one of those for over a year with no issue.

Same, I've run laptops closed for years like this.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is the Embody really worth it?

It's hard to admit to myself that I spend enough time sitting at my computer that the cost might be justified.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

VagueRant posted:

It's hard to admit to myself that I spend enough time sitting at my computer that the cost might be justified.

The Embody is amazing, although they are not the easiest thing to find used. If you spend a decent amount of time in front of a computer it is worth it buying a higher end chair that won't ruin your back and fall apart in a year.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My next office chair will be fancier, but for now, the ikea markus works fairly well. Any niggling back issues/aches I had before disappeared after I started working out :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

VagueRant posted:

Do not compromise on your chair or your bed, they are both way too important to cheap out on.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Super cheat $100 office chairs aren't worth it but my DXRacer EXTREME GAMING chair's pretty decent. It's held up to abuse. It's still not perfect and doesn't have all the ergonomic comforts, but it's also a big deal cheaper if you aren't ready to drop a grand on a chair. Of course, the usual advice in this thread is to try before you buy because there's no one-chair-fits-all.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Took me a while but I finally unpacked my gunpla from when I moved back in, and actually cleaned the desk off. Still need to vacuum though.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Took me a while but I finally unpacked my gunpla from when I moved back in, and actually cleaned the desk off. Still need to vacuum though.

I'm reasonably sure those plastic blobs are going to get stuck in your vacuum. :colbert:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Hollow Talk posted:

I'm reasonably sure those plastic blobs are going to get stuck in your vacuum. :colbert:

They're well armed enough to get out.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

sick blue zaku

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

New monitors came in.

They look way better in person than in the picture. Now I REALLY need a new graphics card - Chrome runs out of vRAM and crashes when trying to load an 11,520x2160 wallpaper.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
A personal creation of mine that I've used for a few years now. iPad retina displays used as montiors, on bendy mic stands to position them wherever I want. Compact, high resolution, low power consumption (1.2mA 5V each)

I'm down to 4 (from 8) after I plugged the bottom row into the wrong Molex connector (12V instead of 5V)

I have spare adapter boards from the first prototype and need to buy replacement retina screens to feel whole again.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 18, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is that for real are you being serious with that setup. Holy poo poo.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is that for real are you being serious with that setup. Holy poo poo.

yeah it used to look like

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

why

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That actually looks quite cool, although I wouldn't be keen on having something like that around. Something would definitely get knocked over.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

EVE Online mostly

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 18, 2016

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

eve players are a special breed

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

yikes

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
also great for never having to overlap windows, and programs like Maya where I can have different views per screen simultaneously and basically see more of what I'm doing without having to swap.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Elsa posted:

also great for never having to overlap windows, and programs like Maya where I can have different views per screen simultaneously and basically see more of what I'm doing without having to swap.

But mostly eve online

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

benisntfunny posted:

But mostly eve online

EVE was the initial inspiration yes.

<crosspost from PYF selfie & chill thread

I am normal ish please don't judge me

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 18, 2016

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Among the many questions I have: why iPads instead of just monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

beepsandboops posted:

Among the many questions I have: why iPads instead of just monitors

it's the replacement screen for a broken iPad... 2500 x 1500 resolutions (roughly I forget ), cheap ($65) per screen ($35) per adapter.uses 5v power which is already supported in several ways in your motherboard.

And then there's the scaling. With the right card you can push four of these plus 2 more DVI outputs for a total of 6 monitors per card

With a motherboard limit of two of such cards , you could have a setup of 12 screens from what seems like any old desktop rig.

The dimensions of the retina displays are the same as the iPad Retina you are familiar with. You can fit several of them in close proximity to your face.

They're engineered by apple to be great color production, and clarity IPS panels with excellent light production.

All told, along with basic EE know-how (such as soldiering and Volts and Amps) you can build this unit for less than $100 a unit.