Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If by enforcing track limits you mean making the tracks even narrower

This of course is exactly what i mean. Did you think "Enforcing track limits" meant "let people drive a wider line" somehow? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think the important question is what is going to happen to the mercs when one of them pushes the other one wide? Never mind the front wing, the new kerbs are going to rip off the entire floor and leave someone's arse scraping along gravel.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

learnincurve posted:

I think the important question is what is going to happen to the mercs when one of them pushes the other one wide? Never mind the front wing, the new kerbs are going to rip off the entire floor and leave someone's arse scraping along gravel.

If anyone can come up with the final solution to that problem it's definitely Mercedes.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

learnincurve posted:

I guess they shouldn't of went that wide boo hoo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I spent all day watching rubbish kart racing and taking part in an old school F1 trivia quiz over radio. Pretty good day overall.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

I bought Pirelli tires for the first time ever specifically because of their Formula 1 involvement.

I changed away from Pirelli because of their complete bungling of the tires the first many seasons. It's only been in the last season and a half they've managed to not be stupid.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I changed away from Pirelli because of their complete bungling of the tires the first many seasons. It's only been in the last season and a half they've managed to not be stupid.

That's fine. It really was more brand exposure more than anything that could me looking at their lineup. I really didn't feel like comparing cross-brands all night long and settled on a set that I'm quite happy with. Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.

Also most likely will buy Michelin's for my motorcycle next year simply because they're the tire provider for MotoGP now.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

El Hefe posted:

If anyone can come up with the final solution to that problem it's definitely Mercedes.

:vince:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

German jokes write themselves so idk why you're surprised.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

German jokes reich themselves so idk why you're surprised.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Goetta posted:

German volks reich themselves so idk why you're surprised.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Tbh that was the wurz joke I've ever seen.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Falken posted:

Tbh that was the wurz joke I've ever seen.

There's always a Wurst joke.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

I'm sure whoever Merc brings in for Hamilton to push around next year will be furious.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Ferrari targets Brawn as part of new action plan

:getin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wheelbarrows of money Ferrari. Do whatever it takes.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Sensible Scuderia

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The VettelReich is coming back

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

You Am I posted:

Well the third reich was supposed to last "Fur a tshushund yeahrs". It lasted 12

So if this trend continues and vettel was supposed to bring back a new schumacher-style reich, his dominance should last 1.2 percent of that: about 4 weeks. Seems about right. He's got one more scud win in him. Enjoy it guys!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Just watched the MotoGP race and that should be a prime example of "listen to your loving team"

what a huge mistake by Rossi

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

El Hefe posted:

Just watched the MotoGP race and that should be a prime example of "listen to your loving team"

I think one of the best "listen to your team" moments was the 2014 Bathurst 1000 where Jamie Whincup ignored team orders about conserving fuel in his car.

It could have not happened to a better person.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

El Hefe posted:

Agreed. I was screaming at the screen watching that. Happy with the result for Jackass though - amazing how good some riders are in the wet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I do wonder how long it takes to change tires on the bikes that are waiting - eventually someone will think of hand signals to tell the team what tires they want on the bike in pit lane: "OK, I'm on wets, the track is drying, the bike in pit lane has intermediates, I need them to switch to slicks"...give them a '1' hand signal and a lap later pull in to swap your decaying wets for fresh slicks.

All of these factory teams know that endurance motorcycle racing exists, there must be something that is already worked out. Lights, even: LED lights on the front of the fairing that tell the team what to put on, attached to a switch that's as complex or as simple as the teams/riders want.

e: also, apparently the 'BOX' message meant that other riders had come in to switch, not 'come in right now'

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

You Am I posted:

I can't wait to get fingered again :allears:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GramCracker posted:

I can't wait to get fingered again :allears:

Vettle for WDC in 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Alonso for WDC in 2017

Hell, agreed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nando's dominance in 2017 will be glorious.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Asymmetric aerodynamics in F1?

For ovals a car's suspension is set up asymmetrically because the car is obviously in a constant turn. On circuits while there may be a variety of left and right-handers when you add it all together the car is still engaged in a constant turn - albeit with occasional diversions. F1 tracks favour anti-clockwise but it's true whatever the orientation. (I seem to remember F1 great Jaques LaBatt setting his car up specifically for one particular corner - Jerez?)

So if a car is on average spending most of its time turning left, say, then why shouldn't the aerodynamics take this into account? For example a rear wing that produced more downforce on which ever side of the car happened to be on the inside for most of the turns.

I'm not Newey (honest) but I would have thought any 0.1% of extra downforce over a lap would be worth a dabble.

Has/will this ever been a thing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Probably won't ever be a thing, Nascar stuff right now is very low downforce to the point aero is very heavily policed by stewards. There's also the question of how you make aero asymmetric without having removable aero pieces, which I'm not sure are allowed in F1.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

njsykora posted:

Probably won't ever be a thing, Nascar stuff right now is very low downforce to the point aero is very heavily policed by stewards. There's also the question of how you make aero asymmetric without having removable aero pieces, which I'm not sure are allowed in F1.

I suppose they'd just build circuit specific wings :shrug:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

njsykora posted:

Do what they do in NASCAR and have the pit crew "accidentally" break off a wing or something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Nando's dominance in 2017 will be glorious.

it'll be cool for you guys if this happens because i'm going to fly off the handle and get banned by like round three

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Asymmetric aerodynamics in F1?

For ovals a car's suspension is set up asymmetrically because the car is obviously in a constant turn. On circuits while there may be a variety of left and right-handers when you add it all together the car is still engaged in a constant turn - albeit with occasional diversions. F1 tracks favour anti-clockwise but it's true whatever the orientation. (I seem to remember F1 great Jaques LaBatt setting his car up specifically for one particular corner - Jerez?)

So if a car is on average spending most of its time turning left, say, then why shouldn't the aerodynamics take this into account? For example a rear wing that produced more downforce on which ever side of the car happened to be on the inside for most of the turns.

I'm not Newey (honest) but I would have thought any 0.1% of extra downforce over a lap would be worth a dabble.

Has/will this ever been a thing?

Having more downforce on one side than the other would mean that either the car doesn't turn as well in the offhand corners (making it slower) or is more difficult on the driver to control (like when your car needs an alignment and you find you're always turning left a little bit). This also makes it slower.

The only way this could work is if you had active aero elements (like on the Pagani Huayra). But this is currently banned by the FIA.

Active Aero:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

it'll be cool for you guys if this happens because i'm going to fly off the handle and get banned by like round three

I'm equally as excited for this as I am McLaren and Nando's WCC/WDC

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

F1 2017 thread: The return of the prodigal Wicka

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Active aero seems like a cool feature that I would enjoy watching. I guess cost/practicality issues are probably stopping it, but it could be very cool.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CratSock posted:

Active aero seems like a cool feature that I would enjoy watching. I guess cost/practicality issues are probably stopping it, but it could be very cool.

It's more to do with the FIA not wanting bits breaking off and decapitating the driver behind. Look at front wings, bits of those fall off all the time and they ain't held on with tiny hinges and springs.

e: missed a wurd.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 19, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes the FIA wants to decapitate drivers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the safety angle was more along the lines of "adding back all the car's down force at once under braking was going to make the cars incredibly unstable going into corners"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That and our old friend "cost cutting measures"

I can't even begin to imagine how gently caress ugly the Red bulls would be if active aero were a thing.

• Locked thread