Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kanfy posted:

As for towns, some are stronger or weaker than others but they're all totally fine for single player and casual multiplayer.

I'd *really* hate to be playing Fortress on a large multiplayer map against a Tower player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Knight-enchanter is a good idea yeah. Once you unlock the spec, you pretty much only use those Abilities from then on, right? And there's what, 4? Should be p easy. And in the run-up to it, low-level Mage is pretty straightforward as I recall.

Looks like Knight-Enchanter might have been patched to be less broken at some point if this guide is anything to go by: http://dragoninquisition.com/knight-enchanter-build-guide/

Might not be the easiest any more, before it was changed you could pretty much just hold down the button for spirit blade and be invincible.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Eldred posted:

Looks like Knight-Enchanter might have been patched to be less broken at some point if this guide is anything to go by: http://dragoninquisition.com/knight-enchanter-build-guide/

Might not be the easiest any more, before it was changed you could pretty much just hold down the button for spirit blade and be invincible.

I argue it's actually more powerful now, but you actually have to do stuff that isn't just Spirit Blade now. The Energy Storm move that fires a bajillion projectiles is a good move to pair it with.

Add the fire talent that lets you spend half your barrier powering up moves and the Fire Mines with the close range array upgrade and you're the king of DPS while staying extremely tanky.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

I would say melee rogue and encourage her to get stealth upgrades and do crafting.

It's all very well talking about Knight enchanters and so on, but you don't get specializations until you're a way into the game, by which time you'll be pretty good at everything anyway. Personally I found being a mage heartbreakingly dull in Inquisition, after it had been so great in earlier Dragon Ages - only the Rift mages get interesting spells, and them only quite late. Archers can at least move a little while fighting, but slowly, which for me at least is just frustrating. Melee rogues get to move fast (at the press of a button, not requiring player dexterity) and hide whenever things are tricky.

I'm not really too fussed about dull vs. interesting; in her own words, she just wants to "button mash and experience the story", so I'm mostly just looking at a class that will let her do that with a low skill ceiling.

Sounds like K-E or Archer Assassin are the top candidates (and if we go the mage route and she likes the early game, we can pick one of the other specs and just stay a ranged wizard). I'll look into what Knight Enchanter looks like now and pick one of those two probably.

Thanks, thread!

e: Oh wow, they totally re-did how Knight Enchanter works, you weren't kidding. Still doesn't look too bad, but the whole "pay attention to how many charges you have" thing could take some getting used to.

e2: She's in act 3 and complaining about doing a fetch quest for Anders and I'm just biting my tongue. She has no idea what level of "oh gently caress you anders" is coming

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 13, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

e: Oh wow, they totally re-did how Knight Enchanter works, you weren't kidding. Still doesn't look too bad, but the whole "pay attention to how many charges you have" thing could take some getting used to.

A good rule of thumb is to not swing your sword more than three times in a row. Swing, Swing, Swing, do other moves. It gets pretty mindless pretty quickly IMO.

Ainsley McTree posted:

e2: She's in act 3 and complaining about doing a fetch quest for Anders and I'm just biting my tongue. She has no idea what level of "oh gently caress you anders" is coming

:allears:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Watching the Diablo 2 run from SGDQ has got me nostalgic for it but it's been years since I played it.
Dog Fat Man Chaser is right about stats. Only take Strength and Dexterity as far as you need to, and ignore Energy entirely. This goes for just about every build out there.

Starting a new game, hit 'enter' type '/players 8' and hit 'enter' again. This strengthens the monsters to the point of a full 8-player server, but also drowns you in XP and loot and is perfectly doable with a fresh character. Enter it every time you come back into the game. Eventually you will want to ease back down, but the first Acts will be a breeze and you'll be closing in on 30 in Act II rather than Act IV.

The best hirelings are the Desert Mercenaries in Nightmare Act II; the Defense ones have Holy Freeze which stays useful forever. If you want to plan ahead for it, they two-hand polearms, spears, and javelins so toss your best one in your box for later. Act 3 Iron Wolves with Cold are ok unless you're counting on enemy corpses.

Another note on hirelings: they don't technically use stamina, Vitality, mana, or Energy, so don't waste your time equipping items that increase those stats. Except for the Act IV barbarians they can't use class items either, and Rogue Archers can't equip crossbows or use ammunition (thank god). They DO benefit from items that increase the skills they use. +Amazon Skills improve Cold and Fire Arrows on Archers and the Jab skill on Desert Mercs, for instance.

Soloing the game is easy with Necromancer and Sorceress. Paladin, Barbarian and Assassin are decent with the right equipment and certain skills. Druid struggles in late Nightmare and beyond pretty much no matter what, but is fun anyway.

Closed Public games are riddled with bots and low-level players looking for handouts. Open Public games are hack central. I'd strongly recommend playing with friends in a passworded game or even by yourself.

Most of the builds you can look up are focused on end-end-endgame content, but a few really well thought-out ones will sort of ease you into it by level. You can do what you like and then respec at Kadala in Act I if you feel like you're getting too off track.

Some skills max their usefulness with a single skill point, and some top off at around 10 with greatly diminishing returns. For an example: you'll never need more than 1 skill point in any Necro debuff.

im cute fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 13, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ainsley McTree posted:

He was the one tolerable mage in origins and awakening, too. :smith:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for Axiom Verge? I'm about 20% through, I think. Biggest tip I can give is 'use the Lock button to aim and snipe enemies diagonally'.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

As for towns, some are stronger or weaker than others but they're all totally fine for single player and casual multiplayer.
Apart from the Conflux, which is horribly broken no matter where and when.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
A couple of chapters in but any advice for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, aka SMT: Idolmaster?

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for Axiom Verge? I'm about 20% through, I think. Biggest tip I can give is 'use the Lock button to aim and snipe enemies diagonally'.

I just beat this game a few hours ago, and the biggest tips I have are:

-The game gets pretty challenging but save spots are frequent. If it's been more than about 10 rooms since the last save spot you missed one.

-There is only one ending. There is a bonus scene that is 30 seconds long if you 100% it so don't drag the game on longer than you find fun. I ended the game with a 69% :mmmhmm: item completion and was plenty prepared for the final boss.

-The lightning gun is really great. Its ability to shoot through walls lets you attack enemies without putting yourself at risk, and is your most damaging weapon for some time.

-There is a flamethrower weapon that made the final area much, much easier than it would have been otherwise, I believe. You can't get it until you've gotten the final traversal item, and is well hidden.

-You'll get to a snowy area, and there is a pit you'll probably fall into. There is an item along the right wall you need to get to progress.

-The alien messages do not become decoded through plot, it is a collectible that requires backtracking, and is a little obtuse.

- If you plan on 100%ing this game, there are Secret World entrances that spawn in specific places, but it's random where they will spawn in your save and you can't enter them until later in the game. You can tell they're in that room because scanlines will start showing. You can't google where yours spawn so if you see that keep a note of it.

Edit:
-There is a quasi-fast travel hallway between the left/rightmost areas of the map, that you can get to after getting a traversial item in the rightmost area. There is seaweed hanging from the ceiling you may mistake as a wall, but it's just decoration. Don't be a dummy like me and assume it's impassable.

Xythe fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 14, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wrote up a short guide to "What should I know before I play The Witcher 3 (stealing from the wiki and my own personal experience). Anything important that I missed? Anything that's exceptionally unclear?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody got anything for Anno 1503?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Hello friends, my PS4 has just shipped!

Anything for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Disgaea 5, or Uncharted 4?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

She killed Anders

she's a keeper

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

KoldPT posted:

Hello friends, my PS4 has just shipped!

Anything for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Disgaea 5, or Uncharted 4?

Disgaea 5:

- Many game features are unlocked through story progression.

- If you want to grind efficiently, wait until you have access to the martial training maps and the cheat shop.

- Send your unused characters on expeditions. They will gain xp and find items.

- Use the interrogation room to interrogate prisoners fully. The game makes interrogation look more complex than it really is. Just use your assigned character's special until your uses run out. If you run out of uses without having fully interrogated all prisoners go run a small map and then go back to interrogating.

- You can dramatically speed up interrogations by improving the squad so that interrogation applies to all captured enemies.

- The reason you want to focus on interrogation is that fully interrogated prisoners triple their contributions to leveling up your squads. (They provide level x 3 experience instead of experience equal to level.) You also can turn fully interrogated prisoners into items that improve all stats of the characters who use them.

- Releasing prisoners does nothing except contribute to quest requirements.

- If you want to capture enemies for interrogation, the best place to do it is in the item world. The enemies in the item world are very weak for their levels, so you can capture them easily.

- If you want the DLC characters, get them early.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ainsley McTree posted:

She killed Anders

she's a keeper

Hope she enjoys not having a healer for the rest of the game though, as short as it is at that point then.

That's pretty much the only reason i didn't kill the bastard.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Hope she enjoys not having a healer for the rest of the game though, as short as it is at that point then.

That's pretty much the only reason i didn't kill the bastard.

In Act 2 i was lugging him around for every mission and started to get a taste for how quickly he was turning from "dissatisfied" to "possessed" and intuited a heel turn from him, so I quickly benched his rear end and started Merril down the green magic path. I lucked out, and killed Anders with no regurts.

Anyway, does anyone have advice for Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

paco650 posted:

The game teaches you most of the stuff, the only non-obvious thing I can think of is the upkeep mechanic: once you reach 50 population, your gold miners efficiency drops a bit, once you reach 80, it drops further (7 and 4 gold per trip as opposed to 10, specifically). It's supposed to discourage turtling and building up large armies but doesn't really work that way because you'll be expanding all the time anyway.

Oh, and hope you like "hold on for X minutes" missions.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Any tips for Lords Of The Fallen . Got it for free, I have never played any sort of Dark Souls like game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

paco650 posted:

In Act 2 i was lugging him around for every mission and started to get a taste for how quickly he was turning from "dissatisfied" to "possessed" and intuited a heel turn from him, so I quickly benched his rear end and started Merril down the green magic path. I lucked out, and killed Anders with no regurts.

Several missions have triggers and shortcuts by going through a forest. An orc mission in Ashenvale, a forest level, has a shitload of bullshit night elves attack you when you knock down a forest. Delay that if you can. The game gets hard if you're not great at RTS, don't be ashamed to cheat, because the story is pretty good and worth seeing.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Wrote up a short guide to "What should I know before I play The Witcher 3 (stealing from the wiki and my own personal experience). Anything important that I missed? Anything that's exceptionally unclear?

It's a decent brief guide but you mention some skills are traps without mentioning the true standouts. For instance the only real way to increase your toxicity threshold for most of the game is the 3 point skill that increases toxicity for every alchemy recipe known. Due to every bomb, potion, oil, and decoction being an alchemy recipe this gives you enough toxicity to, by arguably the mid-game if you buy missing recipes, take two decoctions and several potions at the same time, with only three points in the alchemy tree. It's worthwhile regardless of build. Much like griffin school techniques is one point spend that's worthwhile for any build that isn't focused on light or heavy armor.

Edit: No mention of GWENT?!

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 18, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Any tips for Lords Of The Fallen . Got it for free, I have never played any sort of Dark Souls like game.

Quoting my earlier post:

anilEhilated posted:

- It's not that bad. I had a lot of fun with it given the low expectations.

- Don't spend your XP on unlocking spells, you can find enough items that give you a spell point to unlock everything (which you don't need anyway)

- Character creation: class determines your starting stuff and equipment, magic type what spells you have access to. You can alter stats, you can't pick another spell school until NG+; that being said, the game is easily beatable without magic.

- Speaking of, every magic type has a decoy spell, a ranged attack and a self-buff. They aren't necessary but if you find a spell you like, it can make your life a lot easier. If you want to focus on magic, it's probably best to take the deception school: Stab is probably the best offensive move and Shift makes you go invisible and do crazy backstab damage.

- The combat is slow. If you want the maximum bang for your buck, focus on slow, heavy weapons, killing a boss with knives will take a while.

- You'll find the ranged weapon pretty early in the game and it's mostly independent of stats (damage scales with faith but you can customize it for other purposes). The flip side is that it goes in your shield hand so if you want to use it, you'll have to rely on dodging.

- If you beat a boss while fulfilling a special condition, you get a slighly better version of their weapon; look those up in a guide if you want them. With the first one it's taking no damage.
- If you have trouble with a boss, try poison. Some enemies are immune but it's an amazing way to cheese most of the game.

- Explore, backtrack. The game world is pretty small but chock-full of secrets. Also, characters that give you quests usually aren't too helpful regarding the location of what they send you to find.

- Early on in the game you'll encounter a monk dying from a poisoned bite. Cut off his hand; you'll meet him again later on that way. Letting him die has no benefits whatsoever.

- In the first building, you'll probably find an item called "Shard of Heroes" which the game is supremely unhelpful about. It doesn't come into play until you fight the second boss: the arena they're in has three statues. You can either kill the boss and use the shard at one of the statues to change your class to that and reallocate any stats you added OR you can insert the shard in one of the statues before/during the battle and then lure the boss into breaking it. After the battle, you'll find a pretty good weapon for the class of the statue you used. If you want the item and didn't get the statue broken or the shard in it, there's going to be another boss fight in this arena later on so there's another shot at it.

In addition, if you're new to the whole thing:

- Don't fear death. You learn by dying and the consequences of it are very little. It's a good idea to take a moment and think about what killed you and how to avoid it the next time, though.

- Dodging is almost always better than blocking, but blocking is much easier. Experiment.

- Weapons damage calculation is based on two things: a base damage of the weapon and a scaling based on your stats. Different weapons scale differently so pay attention to the little numbers.

- There's a fuckton of secrets. If you see a locked door, feel free to jot down a note, the game won't remind you about it and is pretty vague about what keys go where.

- You can sort of upgrade your equipment at an NPC you'll meet a bit into the game. There are runes that go into sockets on items. Remember that you can also pull the runes out - so you don't need to save the good ones until you find a weapon you think will last you a long time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cirofren posted:

Edit: No mention of GWENT?!
Agreed: Feel free to ignore Gwent completely. It only comes up once in the plot after they teach it to you.

If you really want to play it, the Siegemaster (Foltest) is probably the most consistent way to win. Spies, decoys and anything that gives you a card advantage are the easiest ways of improving your game, because not only do they give you more cards, but allow you to play later, thus knowing exactly by how much you need to win.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 18, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So is Gwent like the card game from FF9 (useless) or the card game from FF8 (great for breaking the game)?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Useless. You get minor amounts of coin, sometimes cards, and there's gwent quests that grant XP also but XP isn't exactly hard to come by. Really the only reason to play gwent is to get more cards for playing gwent.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Never got into gwent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cirofren posted:

It's a decent brief guide but you mention some skills are traps without mentioning the true standouts.
I'm not really aiming at "here's a guide to everything about TW3" but rather things that aren't obvious until you've been playing for a while (and then regret not having known them from the start).

For instance, if I ever want to use more potions, then I'll go to the Alchemy section of my character build, and click on the skill that allows me to use more potions. Not exactly an arcane process that needs a specific tip.

Edit - what about Gwent? I've played every available match, got all the achievements, and never felt like the game explains things poorly, or like I would have done things differently if I had a specific bit of knowledge ahead of time. Nevermind that it's an absolutely optional mini-game.

Geektox posted:

Really the only reason to play gwent is to get more cards for playing gwent.
Yup. It's fun, and it doesn't have a lot of stupid "read the guide to learn about rules propagation" bullshit behind the scenes, but if you don't like the mini-game for its own sake, there's basically no reason to play it.

(One of the DLCs will shove the game a bit more insistently in your face, and winning certain matches will make the game a tiny bit easier)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 18, 2016

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Edit - what about Gwent?

Gwent's a huge part of the game. It's probably worth knowing that it's completely optional, as mentioned earlier, and if you are digging it that there's occasionally dialog and a couple quests where it comes up and there's a book you can buy in Novigrad to keep track of the cards you're missing.

Might be outside of your audience but I would have enjoyed knowing that spies, decoys, and medics are the only way to facilitate card draw and get card advantage. That said you're right that Gwent is one of the elements that the game introduces more clearly itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I lost the first game of Gwent I played and then just ignored it forever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I hunted down every drat gwent player in the game because I suffer OCD when it comes to videogames, and hated every second of it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I want to play Pillars of Eternity and I'm just wondering is there anything I need to know about character creation? Like is there a way to accidentally gimp myself?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lucinice posted:

I want to play Pillars of Eternity and I'm just wondering is there anything I need to know about character creation? Like is there a way to accidentally gimp myself?

There are ways to gimp yourself in the PoE character creation, but you have to be really actively trying to do so.

There are no "bad" stats, per se, but you need to pick what you want to focus on. If you want your guy to be high Int (for flavor reasons or whatever), then you're not gimping yourself as long as you're willing to pick things that work with Int. If I recall, Int is mostly extended radius of AoEs and duration of effects, so you might focus your character more on his AoE abilities or buffs/debuffs than being a direct blaster.

If you pick a guy with a ton of strength (including a caster), then you probably want to focus on doing crazy damage because Str is the damage stat.

If you read what bonuses the stats give you, you'll understand pretty much all you need to know for character creation, at least until you decide to play super hard mode and need to be min-maxed.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You don't need to be min-maxed to beat the game even on Path of the Damned, the official companions definitely aren't but they still do their jobs perfectly fine even on that difficulty level.

(Also you're thinking of Might as Strength isn't a stat in PoE)

Anyway, if you're not going to roll with custom party members and want to avoid duplicate classes in the beginning of the game then you might want to know that you get a Fighter and a Wizard in the first town and a Chanter and a Priest from nearby areas (and you oughta collect them before tackling dungeons).

Also this isn't related to your question, but you can safely ignore the stories of all the gold-named NPCs as they're kickstarter backer stuff and almost universally bad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thanks. I always end up thinking about stuff as the more traditional stats so Might became Strength in my head.

Overall point remains though, any stat can be a good stat if you're willing to play to the bonuses that stat gives you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Also this isn't related to your question, but you can safely ignore the stories of all the gold-named NPCs as they're kickstarter backer stuff and almost universally bad.

Good advice. I started reading them all until I got to Defiance Bay and was like "seriously, this many?"

At least they're better than the tombstone messages

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Another tip for the early part of PoE: That bear will loving kill you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nordick posted:

Another tip for the early part of PoE: That bear will loving kill you.

At least solo it will. If you've got at least one other character you're probably fine.

Bears are nature's perfect killing machine, after all. Speaking of, are Ranger pets decent? I don't think I tried a ranger. Rogue always seemed a better choice for a shootyman.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I read everywhere about good combat builds for PoE, but what's a good build to get all the dialogue options and story bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

I read everywhere about good combat builds for PoE, but what's a good build to get all the dialogue options and story bits?

I'm running a 12/16/7/10/15/17 Wild Orlan Kind Wayfarer Paladin. It's pretty decent as a tank with support abilities and gets a bunch of added dialog options from stats as well.