Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm going in for a marketing analytics interview position in a few days while only having one previous internship. I'm wondering what would be considered fair/professional to disclose about my previous position?

Would details like the marketing offer we used, the customer segments we targeted, why they were targeted and how we arrived at it be considered okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cute n Popular posted:

I'm going in for a marketing analytics interview position in a few days while only having one previous internship. I'm wondering what would be considered fair/professional to disclose about my previous position?

Would details like the marketing offer we used, the customer segments we targeted, why they were targeted and how we arrived at it be considered okay?

Unless you signed an nda or non compete you can disclose whatever you want

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So a company flew me to their facility for a big fancy conference/interview deals in early May, then subsequently offered me a job which I turned down. With all that out of the way, I sent in my little "here is what I spent out of pocket for you to reimburse" form to them the following week, but now here it is like two months later and I can't get people in HR to respond to my messages asking if they're still processing or if they never received mine. What should I do at this point to get my dough? It's only like thirty bucks or so, but I still don't want to have PAID to interview with a company I didn't end up liking.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Realistically, keep bugging them or eat the cost.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

So a company flew me to their facility for a big fancy conference/interview deals in early May, then subsequently offered me a job which I turned down. With all that out of the way, I sent in my little "here is what I spent out of pocket for you to reimburse" form to them the following week, but now here it is like two months later and I can't get people in HR to respond to my messages asking if they're still processing or if they never received mine. What should I do at this point to get my dough? It's only like thirty bucks or so, but I still don't want to have PAID to interview with a company I didn't end up liking.

The idea of sending a demand letter for $30 is hilarious to me but I think that is your next step on the continuum of legal actions.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

vyst posted:

Unless you signed an nda or non compete you can disclose whatever you want
You can, but shouldn't. If you're sharing company secrets on a job interview, the person interviewing you is going to assume you'll do the same for her company. I've dinged people in the past for this.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I just want to say thank you for this thread. I just moved from Chicago to Louisville and had to search for a new job. While my field (procurement) is common here, my segment (health club chains) was not. I had manufacturing experience previously, but it was hard to get people to see past my last field. I spent a few months getting almost no interview requests until I found this thread. I took its advice, re wrote my resume completely and then fine tuned it for every job. I got a interview request from every application I put in after that and ended up with multiple offers.

To anyone still using the thread - good luck. I ended up spending five months looking for a job, and getting a lot of depressing automatic rejection emails (thankfully I could work remotely for most of that with my old job), but it all came together quickly after I made my changes.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

You can, but shouldn't. If you're sharing company secrets on a job interview, the person interviewing you is going to assume you'll do the same for her company. I've dinged people in the past for this.

I agree when it comes to company secrets. But the information that poster mentioned didn't sound like it was much in terms of "the secret sauce" for the old company. Just metrics and analytics. I should have been clearer but cell phone and all.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

The idea of sending a demand letter for $30 is hilarious to me but I think that is your next step on the continuum of legal actions.

I'm not above doing it either. Everything about their interview and job offer process rubbed me the wrong way and they just keep digging that hole deeper with this stuff. I'll probably take the advice of "keep bugging them" for now, but I'll make the demand if I have to!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

I'm not above doing it either. Everything about their interview and job offer process rubbed me the wrong way and they just keep digging that hole deeper with this stuff. I'll probably take the advice of "keep bugging them" for now, but I'll make the demand if I have to!

Google "how to write a demand latter" if you do. Also remember that the world tends to be very, very small.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dik Hz posted:

As a database guy, wouldn't you want precision? I think in marketing they'd mock you for knowing exactly how many entries a database had. But if I was hiring a database guy, I'd want the guy that knew precision was important.
It's neat when someone knows this information, but if they didn't know, my impression would be that they had actual important things to do at work instead of free time to go around counting things.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I've been interviewing for what's essentially a PR position for my state's university system. This morning I had my second round interview with a different panel of employees from the department, and so far each one has gone really well. They in fact just called me and asked me to come in a third time Thursday morning. I thought based on the way they were talking that we'd be done after two rounds, but now thay I think of it I can't think of them explicitly saying that. What should I expect, or is it possible they're calling me in to extend an offer instead of doing that by phone or email for some reason? I've met drat near the whole team in separate interview panels so I'm not sure what else there would be, but that would be out of the norm for any other job offer situation I've ever had.

And more pressingly, is it kosher to call back and ask for a different time or day? She asked if Thursday at 9 am would work and I told her I'd call her tomorrow to confirm so I haven't committed to it yet. I've already taken a day and a half of ETO from my current job for interviews here, and we are short handed as it is at my current job so I'm really not sure how I can take more time unless I can just base my lunch break around it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I would love some resume input, anonymized version here.

Some background:
10 years experience in a fairly narrow technical field, document design and print solutions (TL;DR, bills, statements, postcards, etc, and the automated systems by which they're generated, printed and mailed) with extensive experience specifically in financial communications. I enjoy this work and frankly I'm good at it, however it's a very narrow market so I'm also looking for positions that require a lot of technical aptitude and research ability or where extensive generalist experience might speak more than hard programming or database skills (e.g. business or systems analysis.)

I also got laid off so I need to consider branching out whether I like it or not.

Besides my technical experience, I'm specifically I'm trying to emphasize a couple things that set me apart from most of the other developers I've ever worked with: that I excel at communicating technical interests and efforts to non technical individuals; that I'm creative and flexible in a way that encourages collaboration to find solutions to business problems rather than taking an adversarial/this-can't-be-done stance; that I can assess the technical or software ecosystem of a company and come up to speed on how things work without a lot of handholding.

Per thread advice I'm doing my best to provide quantifiable numbers but I'm not sure I'm doing so in a meaningful way. For my most recent position I could also guess at the number of gold-star type commendations I was put in for but after 4 years I just don't have the records to prove it, so I don't know if I should leave it off or not. I also feel like my job titles are odd looking in sequence like this, but I assume that's not unusual with developers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bluedeanie posted:

I've been interviewing for what's essentially a PR position for my state's university system. This morning I had my second round interview with a different panel of employees from the department, and so far each one has gone really well. They in fact just called me and asked me to come in a third time Thursday morning. I thought based on the way they were talking that we'd be done after two rounds, but now thay I think of it I can't think of them explicitly saying that. What should I expect, or is it possible they're calling me in to extend an offer instead of doing that by phone or email for some reason? I've met drat near the whole team in separate interview panels so I'm not sure what else there would be, but that would be out of the norm for any other job offer situation I've ever had.

And more pressingly, is it kosher to call back and ask for a different time or day? She asked if Thursday at 9 am would work and I told her I'd call her tomorrow to confirm so I haven't committed to it yet. I've already taken a day and a half of ETO from my current job for interviews here, and we are short handed as it is at my current job so I'm really not sure how I can take more time unless I can just base my lunch break around it.

I've not had good luck with rescheduling interviews. Im sure some have, and in each case it was a first interview, but the tone changed after the reschedule and none extended offers. In one case they simply didn't pursue me as a candidate.

How do you feel about a girl/guy who reschedules a date or doesnt commit to a hard date?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 20, 2016

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

I've not had good luck with rescheduling interviews. Im sure some have, and in each case it was a first interview, but the tone changed after the reschedule and none extended offers. In one case they simply didn't pursue me as a candidate.

How do you feel about a girl/guy who reschedules a date or doesnt commit to a hard date?

I mean I definitely understand what you mean, but that's also kind of like asking for a date at a hard line specific time on a specific day and her responding with "I would love to but can we meet two hours later, because that works better for me?"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bluedeanie posted:

I mean I definitely understand what you mean, but that's also kind of like asking for a date at a hard line specific time on a specific day and her responding with "I would love to but can we meet two hours later, because that works better for me?"

I hear ya, that was my experience though. If she was hot enough, you'd go.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Well at any rate I guess I worried over nothing because my boss let me take the time no problem and I can meet their appointment, so thanks for the advice!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So I had been trying to keep my resume to a single page. To do that, I had removed my previous work history because it was outside the field that I am now trying to get into, making it more like a student's resume than a professional's. That part is fine except that I get people wondering what I did for 9 years. So I have built a version of the resume that goes top-to-bottom Skills / Education / Projects / Relevant work at the bottom of the first page, with the second page being Previous Work Experience and listing the stuff I did before.

The question is: should this be the version that is on the job sites to be seen? Or should I stick with the 1 page one? If I remember correctly, I've had three people being confused about my history when I talked to them out of 20-25 people, but that doesn't mean others weren't confused, they just didn't mention it. Is the taboo of multi-page resumes dead? I feel this format will let people ignore the additional pages if they want while keeping the important stuff on the first page.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Two pages is fine. Mine out of college was 2 pages.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Two pages is fine. Mine out of college was 2 pages.

Pretty much. In the age of digital automated resume scans, nobody cares if it's 2 pages.

BlueCity
Apr 24, 2005
Every post ends with an implied "Bizzle"

CarForumPoster posted:

Google "how to write a demand latter" if you do. Also remember that the world tends to be very, very small.

Also remember to take a look at the font they use on the $30 check. That says a lot about what they think of you. If you don't like the font then you don't have to accept the check.

No acceptable font...No justice!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BlueCity posted:

Also remember to take a look at the font they use on the $30 check. That says a lot about what they think of you. If you don't like the font then you don't have to accept the check.

No acceptable font...No justice!

This. Helvetica = GET OUT

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lmao if you accept anything but a handwritten check from them

cybertier
May 2, 2013
I want to apply for a position at a large (13k employees worldwide) america-based company at one of their german locations.
This is also the first time applying for a position where I'll have to do more than call and ask for the job.

Should I be fine following the american etiquette presented here, since it's an american company, or are there any important differences I should watch out for in Germany?

Also their application form has a bunch of checkboxes for knowledge about very specific technology. Would I be an automatic no-go, if I can't check some of those?

cybertier fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 25, 2016

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Followup question:
I'm coming from a programming job and I want to switch to an IT position.
Should I still put specific programming skills (i.e. SQL Server, C#, etc.) on the resume or focus on more widespread IT knowledge (IP networks, Windows Server etc.).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

cybertier posted:

Followup question:
Should I still put specific programming skills (i.e. SQL Server, C#, etc.) on the resume or focus on more widespread IT knowledge (IP networks, Windows Server etc.).

Make your Programming skills bullet points somewhere in your resume on top of your IT knowledge. You don't need to go into glorious detail about what projects you've done. But even in the non-programming side of IT, having programming knowledge is beneficial.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

cybertier posted:

Followup question:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857

And they'll give better advice if you share whatever job description you're targeting.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey guys! Bear with me here:

I've been with my company for 10.5 years and have generally been happy (or perhaps complacent) enough that I haven't done much jobsearching until about two months ago, when I realized it was time to start looking for new/better opportunities in my field (communications/writing/editing/proofreading/blahblahblah). I've had some nibbles, phone interviews (and in a couple cases, second interviews), but nothing beyond that yet. That's fine; I know patience is required for this sort of thing.

But anyway: On a whim, I applied for a position through a staffing company — something I had not done before. I was quickly contacted by a woman who told me more about the position, which she thought I was overqualified for but willing to move forward with. It turns out the company (which she had since identified) was interested in me, but I had to complete a :fuckoff: predictive index :fuckoff: last Thursday.

The woman called me back earlier today to tell me that they didn't want to move forward based on my PI results, but that she had also submitted 5-6 others that hadn't also passed — and she also told me she thought I would've been miserable there anyway and "dodged a bullet." :raise: But she said she'd keep looking for suitable openings for me, and asked that I send her a list of jobs I had applied for so we weren't doubling up on them. I obliged and thanked her for her help.

I should note I'm not paying for this in any way, but I'm wondering if it's somehow doing more harm than good — i.e., if companies get contacted ad nauseum by staffing services like this, roll their eyes and ignore them. Like I said, these are new waters for me.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 26, 2016

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Real Name Grover posted:

Hey guys! Bear with me here:

I've been with my company for 10.5 years and have generally been happy (or perhaps complacent) enough that I haven't done much jobsearching until about two months ago, when I realized it was time to start looking for new/better opportunities in my field (communications/writing/editing/proofreading/blahblahblah). I've had some nibbles, phone interviews (and in a couple cases, second interviews), but nothing beyond that yet. That's fine; I know patience is required for this sort of thing.

But anyway: On a whim, I applied for a position through a staffing company — something I had not done before. I was quickly contacted by a woman who told me more about the position, which she thought I was overqualified for but willing to move forward with. It turns out the company (which she had since identified) was interested in me, but I had to complete a :fuckoff: predictive index :fuckoff: last Thursday.

The woman called me back earlier today to tell me that they didn't want to move forward based on my PI results, but that she had also submitted 5-6 others that hadn't also passed — and she also told me she thought I would've been miserable there anyway and "dodged a bullet." :raise: But she said she'd keep looking for suitable openings for me, and asked that I send her a list of jobs I had applied for so we weren't doubling up on them. I obliged and thanked her for her help.

I should note I'm not paying for this in any way, but I'm wondering if it's somehow doing more harm than good — i.e., if companies get contacted ad nauseum by staffing services like this, roll their eyes and ignore them. Like I said, these are new waters for me.

I'm super wary of soft-skill/non-STEM recruiters. They throw applications at companies till one sticks, so they can get a finder's fee. Chat on the phone with them, sure, but don't go out of your way.

Also personality tests for professional positions, fuckin' :lol:
I interviewed with a company that gave me one before the sit-down and it immediately dampered my enthusiasm about working there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I had to do a personality test for my second round interview for a IT PM job lol. Motherfucker had math questions on it too

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Thanks. Might give it a couple weeks and then lie and said I got something, or got a raise, or whatever.

This one was relatively simple: Checking words out of a list of like 100 that I thought described me, and then again from basically the same list — except this time it was words that I think people would use to describe me. I get what they want out of it, but whatever.

Someone try applying for a gig with Gallup sometime — theirs is next-level ridiculous.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Real Name Grover posted:

Thanks. Might give it a couple weeks and then lie and said I got something, or got a raise, or whatever.

This one was relatively simple: Checking words out of a list of like 100 that I thought described me, and then again from basically the same list — except this time it was words that I think people would use to describe me. I get what they want out of it, but whatever.

Someone try applying for a gig with Gallup sometime — theirs is next-level ridiculous.

Yeah, that's the same one I took. I can't help but look askance at a company that makes hiring decisions based on that kind of thing.

Keep applying and putting more irons in the fire. Something will shake out.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
:respek: Agreed. And the company that was interested in me (via the service) was an industry that would likely suck the life out of me by age 40, so I'm not shedding any tears.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

vyst posted:

Pretty much. In the age of digital automated resume scans, nobody cares if it's 2 pages.
Counterpoint: No hiring manager has ever read the second page of a resume before forming a first impression of a candidate.

Resumes are marketing documents designed to get you a phone interview. I'm not going to ding someone for a two page resume, but when I see a well formatted one page resume that clearly shows recent relevant experience, it shows that the candidate understands the business and can communicate well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Counterpoint: No hiring manager has ever read the second page of a resume before forming a first impression of a candidate.

Resumes are marketing documents designed to get you a phone interview. I'm not going to ding someone for a two page resume, but when I see a well formatted one page resume that clearly shows recent relevant experience, it shows that the candidate understands the business and can communicate well.

I think it's all circumstantial based on industry, the individual person, and the size of the business. You're right that page 1 is the first impression, but most enterprises don't even read the resume unless the ATS gets enough keyword matches which is more likely to happen with a longer resume. And if you're in an industry or business that doesn't need an ATS system then you're probably less concerned about 1 vs 2 pages.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

vyst posted:

I think it's all circumstantial based on industry, the individual person, and the size of the business. You're right that page 1 is the first impression, but most enterprises don't even read the resume unless the ATS gets enough keyword matches which is more likely to happen with a longer resume. And if you're in an industry or business that doesn't need an ATS system then you're probably less concerned about 1 vs 2 pages.
I totally agree with you. If you're submitting a resume to an algorithm, you should load it down with every keyword relevant to your industry and make it as long as it takes.

I also agree that every piece of advice in this thread starts with "Depending on your industry..."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Brocialist posted:

Question for y'all fine folk:

A couple weeks ago I applied for a position at a 500-1,000 person company that's in the print biz (union and everything), and maybe 8 hours later the hiring manager called me up and told me "we're interviewing you; also for a lot of other positions, but we're definitely interviewing you"

Okay sweet. I sent in my clips like they asked, but never got a confirmation that they were received. Called a few days later, got voicemail, left a short message saying I was just touching base to see if they got everything they needed.

It's been eight days and no email, no call, nothing. I know the company is older and struggling a bit with new management and revamping efforts, and that in this industry these weeks are when most people take their summer vacations to clear out July for the beginning of the fiscal year. But am I safe in assuming I should forget ever hearing back from them? Does the prices really move that slowly? Seems like even picking up the phone or a simple email confirmation would be an easy thing to do.

Follow up on this.

So I had my interview (3 hours) in NY. It was a little tough to read how I did, but everyone I met was happy and genuinely cool ( :peanut: ). However, the radio silence after continued.

Then after about a week, an alert came in saying I had applied for a different job there (I didn't), which is much more in my wheelhouse. The odd thing is, the coded requirements at the top of the page differ from the candidate mandatory experience, lined up perfectly with my resume. Is this a good sign? Am I overthinking it when I don't hear a peep from any of the thank-you notes I've sent?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's probably worth a call at least. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, but it won't hurt.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If a place asks to email a cover letter and resume, what's the best way to tackle it? Attach them both as separate documents? Combine them into one attachment as a resume with a cover letter as the first page? Or just attach the resume and then write the letter in the body of the email?

So far I've been attaching them as separate documents and writing the cover letter in the body of the email as well, stating that it's also attached as a Word document if that's preferable. I always do this so that they're faced with the letter right away but also have a version for printing if they need it.

This is probably stupid but like most other people here I'm pretty concerned with doing things As Correct as Possible so I figured I'd ask anyway because I can't really afford to gently caress anything up no matter how menial it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Who cares