Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Since we're talking cases I'll recommend the Fractal Define Mini micro ATX case. For having "micro" in the name it's still not that small so double check the dimensions. This is the case I'm using currently and I like it bunches.

Really, I'd recommend anything in Fractal's line-up. I swear I don't work for them or anything, I just like my case.

DrNutt posted:

poo poo, that does sound really good. Any reason to snag a 1070 over that, or are they close enough that it won't matter? I plan on gaming via a 1080p 144hz monitor.

You mean a GTX 1070 vs. an RX 480? The 1070 is much more powerful. The GTX 1060 is closer to an RX 480. If you're trying to run games at 144hz you might need the extra horsepower even at 1080p. That's 144 fps vs. the "usual" 60 so the card has to work more than twice as hard.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What do you guys build as backup solutions these days? Right now I have my SSD and 2TB Green backing up to a 4TB Red and the cloud via CrashPlan, but scaling that up for a new build will get really expensive. The 4TB Red isn't in production any more but I guess I could find another 4TB 7200RPM drive (Black? Red?) and use the Z170 to RAID-1 them with only cloud backup. I've got unlimited gigabit so a restore wouldn't be any worse than local. The other option is to shell out a 6TB drive as the in-PC backup and re-purpose the 4TB as the new data drive, as the 2TB is now quite old and 75% full. Ideally I'd get a 2-bay MyCloud or similar for in-house backup but this build is already running $2600 CAD with some parts scavenged from what it's replacing.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

McCracAttack posted:

Since we're talking cases I'll recommend the Fractal Define Mini micro ATX case. For having "micro" in the name it's still not that small so double check the dimensions. This is the case I'm using currently and I like it bunches.

Really, I'd recommend anything in Fractal's line-up. I swear I don't work for them or anything, I just like my case.

I just finished my own build in that case, it's great. No side window or annoying LEDs minus the power button and really silent. Might look into putting more fans in some day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a good mATX case with no 5.25 bays, length for full sized GPUs, great airflow and good cable management? I have a Node 304 but I wanted to go to mATX to do SLI at some point. The 304s hard drive cage setup is kind of wonky as well.

Edit: cube or shoebox style is much preferred.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 23, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Enigma posted:

Perhaps he means rx480, which is new and MSRP isn't too far off your price.

She, but yeah I meant the rx480.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

Plenty of people have done it in an rvz01 and Ncase M1.

That M1 looks sexy as gently caress. God dammit.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Parasara posted:

US based and use my computer almost exclusively for gaming. If it can also run a bunch of spreadsheets for when I work at home or do some mild content creation that wouldn't be a missed bonus. Aiming for 1440p gaming at 60 fps at high to max with the option to turn things down to get 144hz when desired or when I need to power through particularly graphics intensive areas. My budget is 1000-1600$, and this will be my first build. Am I missing anything that would save me money or any obvious noob traps?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($160.45 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($700.00)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.95 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1552.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 15:51 EDT-0400

Ideally i'd be running this on a 144hz g synch 1440p monitor if that makes a difference. I'm also unsure if I should buy these parts online or go into a local store and pick everything up.

I have a pretty similar setup with a 1070 instead of a 1080 and would definitely spring for a better power supply (I originally bought the 500B then returned it for an EVGA 650GS -- though I would have bought the 550GS if it wasn't exactly the same price on Amazon). The price difference isn't that much, you'll be annoyed with the gigantic mess of cables coming out of the 500B (it's non-modular), and you'll have a little more peace of mind.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Can anyone recommend a 120 x 120 x 10mm quiet case fan?

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.
I'm looking to replace my Alienware X51 R1 with something better, that is also easy to upgrade in future. This Alienware case is not useful for upgrading from my GTX555.

So, what I'm looking to do is replace this with a new gaming PC. The machine will also be used for video production via software like Power Director, so ideally it would produce video quite quickly. I use the current PC for these, and it's not bad at all, but would certainly like better graphics choices, an increase in video production times, and a quieter system at gaming load.

I'm unlikely to mess around with overclocking, so I'd want something that runs well out of the box. Noise is important, but I've never worked with water cooling and have no idea how necessary it would be for me. I would, however, prefer the scope to overclock if I felt like it in future, if the price variable is fairly small.

I already have a 1TB drive in my PC, so would just want to use that and throw in an SSD to the new machine. My storage is covered by a server in the house.

So, onto what I built in a store - There's no SSD in there currently, and I have no idea if I'm missing anything else key to making this work. I have an OS already.

• 600W Corsair Builder Series CX, Non Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, 1x120mm Fan, ATX, PSU
• Corsair Carbide Clear 600C Inverse Full Tower Computer Chassis with Window, EATX/ATX/Micro ATX/Mini ITX, Black
• MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Aero OC 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card, 1920 Core, 1531MHz GPU, 1721MHz Boost
• Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 ATX Motherboard.
• Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) CPU.
• Corsair H115i 280mm All In One Water Cooler.
• 16GB Corsair DDR4 (3000OC, CL15, 2x 8GB) Memory.

This comes out at £1208. GPU is at £399, if that helps for conversion. I'm using scan.co.uk currently.

So, I want to spend less than this. Ideally I'd like to take the price much closer to £850, and I'm sure there are some easy ways to cut the total.

Appreciate your expertise here.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
If Im upgrading to the 6600k from a 2500k thats about 4 years old would I need to change out my seasonic 620w psu aswell? Its the same age as the 2500

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Extra posted:

I'm utterly confused. Are you saying an RX280 or is the R9 280X what you're talking about? The R9 280X benchmarks worse, clocks slower, doesn't have DX12 compatibility, has less RAM, and I'd have to deal with AMD's poo poo drivers.

I suppose you're of the opinion more cores = more performance? 3 GB really doesn't cut it on any game with high resolution textures.

He means the 480. My only suggestion would be to hold out for a few weeks until all the custom cooled 480s are out to choose from. If you don't care about a bit of fan noise, though, buy away.

RocketSurgeon posted:

If Im upgrading to the 6600k from a 2500k thats about 4 years old would I need to change out my seasonic 620w psu aswell? Its the same age as the 2500

It's often recommended here to go by the warranty period of the PSU, although for a fantastic quality one (like a high end Seasonic), you can probably go a bit longer.
4 years doesn't sound like a long time for a Seasonic PSU, honestly, so I wouldn't worry about it. That said, which model is it? They vary in warranty/quality a little.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
It is a seasonic m12 ll I believe, one of the not modular older kind.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Well you can kind of do 4k with a 1080 but the new Titan should be the first real single GPU 4k card.

Oh, I thought you meant something in particular when you said 'tiny'.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Looking to make a new computer for my dad who does mainly photography stuff and internet browsing. I suspect this might be overkill but he'd like a good robust computer that can last him a long time.
He went to the shop who recommended the following:

Intel Core i7- 6700 – 3,40GHz – 8MB
Asus Z170A
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8)16 GB – 2400MHz
Samsung 850 PRO – 256GB – SSD
WD Black – 3,5 - SATA 6Gb/s – 2TB
Asus DRW-24F1MT – DVD+RW
MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G – 4GB
Cooler Master Silencio 550
Corsair CX Series CX600M – 600 Watt
Cooler Master – ventilateur Hyper 212 Evo

Any comments?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Le0 posted:

Looking to make a new computer for my dad who does mainly photography stuff and internet browsing. I suspect this might be overkill but he'd like a good robust computer that can last him a long time.
He went to the shop who recommended the following:

Intel Core i7- 6700 – 3,40GHz – 8MB
Asus Z170A
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (2x8)16 GB – 2400MHz
Samsung 850 PRO – 256GB – SSD
WD Black – 3,5 - SATA 6Gb/s – 2TB
Asus DRW-24F1MT – DVD+RW
MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G – 4GB
Cooler Master Silencio 550
Corsair CX Series CX600M – 600 Watt
Cooler Master – ventilateur Hyper 212 Evo

Any comments?

It's a touch all over the place - locked CPU with a Z chipset board, 850 Pro is unnecessary, better to spend the money on a larger 850 Evo, the 960 4GB has never been great value, and it's completely pointless in a machine he will never game on, honestly he could stick with the on-CPU graphics. Finally, that PSU isn't the best quality.

Basically, your instinct was correct, some parts a little overkill, others aren't the best value. I also would say the overall build is way too large - an ATX case is overkill for most builds, let alone a non-gaming one. I'd be building a mini-ITX machine for this.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 23, 2016

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Yeah what I thought, I'm going to make the list myself so if you guys have any recommendations for a PC used for photography (photoshop etc...) and browsing internet it would be great.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone has built a PC recently with a MSI Z170 Gaming or Krait motherboard, check out MSI's site. If you register your motherboard you can claim a code for Total War: Warhammer, a cool and good game.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Le0 posted:

Yeah what I thought, I'm going to make the list myself so if you guys have any recommendations for a PC used for photography (photoshop etc...) and browsing internet it would be great.

Something like this, maybe:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€209.00 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€98.99 @ Amazon France)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€61.90 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case (€57.39 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.99 @ Amazon France)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (€18.45 @ Amazon France)
Total: €535.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-23 15:39 CEST+0200

Obviously you also need an operating system.

If you need more HDD space, there's a surprising amount of room left in the case to add more drives. You could say I went a touch high-end with the PSU, but I believe it's important if you do want a robust system over the long term, and it's important in such a small case to get a modular PSU, in my opinion. The motherboard also has Wifi, which you might find useful in future if the room gets rearranged or whatever. Just a bonus.

Edit: sorry, I've made an error here, why the hell is the 850 Evo 500GB not showing up.
It's on Amazon.fr at €142.12. If you only need 250GB, feel free to go for the 850 Evo 250GB. You could get a Core i3 if you wanted to save even more money. I obviously don't know what your budget is, but everything you can build will be cheaper than the originally suggested build by the shop :D

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 23, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does seem overkill for what your father wants to do, unless maybe the photography part involves heavy editing and modeling?

For the processor, I'd recommend going down to an i5-6400, or an i5-6500 if he thinks 2.7 Ghz is too low (the i5-6400 does have TurboBoost to allow it to reach 3.3 Ghz when necessary).

He doesn't need a Z motherboard unless he wants to overclock his RAM and/or processor (though that would of course increase his build's performance and life expectancy).

If you decide to go for a non-Z motherboard, you can also pick cheaper RAM at 2133 Mhz as it will be locked at that speed anyway. Also, he could very likely make do with just 8GB RAM instead of 16GB, but RAM is cheap so sticking with 16GB is an acceptable way to futureproof a bit.

An SSD is a good idea, and Samsung is a good brand for that, but as said I would go for Evo instead of Pro.

He doesn't need a GPU at all if he's not going to game. The integrated graphics (HD 530) that come with Skylake processors should be enough. In fact, even if he did game he'd be able to play older games on acceptable settings.

600W for the PSU is somewhat more than he's likely to need, I'd recommend dropping down to about 450W. It would depend on the final build, you can use this site to get an estimate: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator. Whatever you do, don't skimp on quality and try to get a reliable brand even if it's more expensive, the model preferably being gold-rated.

e: I was handily beaten by HalloKitty, but it seems we have a lot of the same suggestions.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks a ton guys, you helped tremendously.
HalloKitty, I took your list and picked parts I could on a website we will order from, cause I'm from Switzerland and sadly amazon France adds a lot of shipping and then taxes.

Here is what I came up with, sadly the mobo you suggested is not available, I picked another one which seem to fit the bill and I also added a 2TB drive that he wanted to have.
Any comments?

Samsung 850 EVO Basic (500GB, 2.5")
Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI (LGA 1151, Intel H170, Mini ITX)
Intel Core i5 6500 (LGA 1151, 3.20GHz)
Fractal Core 500 (Cube, Black)
WD Blue (2000GB, 3.5", Desktop)
G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x, 8GB, DDR4-2133, DIMM 288)
ASUS DRW-24F1MT (Black)
Seasonic G-450 (450W)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I took a guess at you being in France, I guess I wasn't quite on the money.
Luckily, I know of a Swiss price comparison website already, don't know if it helps to save you any cash; but what you've listed is going to be fine. That said, there are a few around here who aren't fans of Gigabyte boards, so I generally go for others.

CPU: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_418514.html
MB: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_432041.html
RAM: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_418941.html
SSD: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_387537.html
Case: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_419012.html
PSU: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_290760.html
DVD: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_274600.html

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

HalloKitty posted:

I took a guess at you being in France, I guess I wasn't quite on the money

Well you were close, I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland, right next to the border ;)

EDIT: Thanks Hallokitty, toppreise is perfect, how do you even know this website ?!
I'm going to order from Digitec cause they have free shipping, will this mobo be better than the Gigabyte? https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/asus-h170i-plus-d3-lga-1151-intel-h170-mini-itx-motherboards-5634195?tagIds=76

Le0 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 23, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Extra, what are you doing for case and power supply?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Okay, really finally about to hit the buy button now:

GPU is a GTX 1060 Founder's Edition (I know...) already purchased

Are these fans good? I'm going for the PWM version... which is the correct choice? Otherwise they'll run at full speed all the time? The price for both PWM and non-PWM is the same, it seems.

Oh, and also, I sent my Macbook Pro into Apple for repairs a few months ago and they replaced my SSD with a 1TB HDD because they thought it was broken (it wasn't). I put the SSD back in and now the HDD is just sitting around. Would I be crazy to put it in this as secondary storage? I mean, free 1TB HDD....

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.92 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($158.75 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design HF12-BK 83.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $909.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-23 14:53 EDT-0400

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 23, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Le0 posted:

Well you were close, I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland, right next to the border ;)

EDIT: Thanks Hallokitty, toppreise is perfect, how do you even know this website ?!
I'm going to order from Digitec cause they have free shipping, will this mobo be better than the Gigabyte? https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/asus-h170i-plus-d3-lga-1151-intel-h170-mini-itx-motherboards-5634195?tagIds=76

There's only one problem with that board - it uses DDR3 instead of DDR4, which isn't really a problem, but you'd have to swap out the RAM for some DDR3. It would also need to be DDR3L, low voltage stuff that will run <1.5V. So I figured I would stick with the newest DDR4 kit instead. Otherwise, I like ASUS boards myself.

Ah, about toppreise - I can't really remember myself when I heard about it, I think it was some time ago, when someone linked a cheap graphics card, and I kind of remembered it ever since (I don't live in Switzerland, so it's not much use to me).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Bass Bottles posted:

Okay, really finally about to hit the buy button now:

GPU is a GTX 1060 Founder's Edition (I know...) already purchased

Are these fans good? I'm going for the PWM version... which is the correct choice? Otherwise they'll run at full speed all the time? The price for both PWM and non-PWM is the same, it seems.

Oh, and also, I sent my Macbook Pro into Apple for repairs a few months ago and they replaced my SSD with a 1TB HDD because they thought it was broken (it wasn't). I put the SSD back in and now the HDD is just sitting around. Would I be crazy to put it in this as secondary storage? I mean, free 1TB HDD....

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.92 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($158.75 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $909.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-23 14:53 EDT-0400

You shouldn't need the CPU cooler unless you're over clocking, which you can't with that processor or motherboard. Also, I think DDR2400 is going to down clock to 2133 on that motherboard, so unless the 2400 is less expensive you can save some money there too. Not sure that you need 16 gigs of RAM either.

Check out the ASRock B150M motherboard. I just ordered one for a new build. It's less expensive and has 4 DIMMS (yours has 2), making upgrading in the future easier. I'm not sure what yours offer over it, other than "gaming" branding?

That PSU is overkill. You should be able to get by with something 450-550, fully modular, gold certified for half the price.
I got this, which is still probably overkill, for $70: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

I'd like to know about the fans too, since I may pick up one soon.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 23, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Enigma posted:

You shouldn't need the CPU cooler unless you're over clocking, which you can't with that processor or motherboard. Also, I think DDR2400 is going to down clock to 2133 on that motherboard, so unless the 2400 is less expensive you can save some money there too. Not sure that you need 16 gigs of RAM either.

Check out the ASRock B150M motherboard. I just ordered one for a new build. It's less expensive and has 4 DIMMS (yours has 2), making upgrading in the future easier. I'm not sure what yours offer over it, other than "gaming" branding?

That PSU is overkill. You should be able to get by with something 450-550, fully modular, gold certified for half the price.
I got this, which is still probably overkill, for $70: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

I chose the motherboard because it had good reviews for wifi and bluetooth, which the B150M doesn't seem to feature??

That PSU looks nice. I'll have to look into reviews later.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

You're correct re: motherboard. The first site I looked at didn't mention your board having it, but the manufacturer lists it on the spec sheet.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Posted this in the monitor thread last night, and haven't gotten any response yet, so I figured I post it here as well.

This Moron posted:

I'm looking at the LG 34UM67 and the Acer KN242HYL on Newegg right now. I'm thinking of getting them both and trying to find a dual monitor stand that will let me put the Acer above the LG. Any thoughts on this? I'd be sort of okay with sticking with my current monitor (Samsung S22E310) as a secondary instead of getting the Acer, but I don't think I could stand having a TN right next to an IPS, and with the sale right now, both monitors would total a mere $500.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HalloKitty posted:

She means the 480. My only suggestion would be to hold out for a few weeks until all the custom cooled 480s are out to choose from. If you don't care about a bit of fan noise, though, buy away.

The Iron Rose posted:

do not buy a 960. at that price point, get a RX480, which should get you 60 FPS @ 1080p on high settings for the next few years.

Cool I'll just wait until the next set of RX480s are out. Hopefully AMD has figured out their drivers.

Is there anything that jumps out at either of you (or any goon) about this motherboard that would make it a bad idea for the 4.6GHz OC the i5-6600K?

ASUS Z170-P LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bass Bottles posted:

Can anyone recommend a 120 x 120 x 10mm quiet case fan?

Intake or exhaust? If it's an exhaust, Arctic makes exhaust-only fans which are mounted on rubber supports (instead of the regular square plastic cage) and are extremely quiet as a result.

e:nevermind, missed the "x10mm" part :v:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 24, 2016

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

NihilCredo posted:

Intake or exhaust? If it's an exhaust, Arctic makes exhaust-only fans which are mounted on rubber supports (instead of the regular square plastic cage) and are extremely quiet as a result.

Any suggestions for an intake?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Enigma posted:

Any suggestions for an intake?

That's a really unusual size so I'm not sure if you're going to find anything easily. I haven't been able to with some cursory searches. Most 120mm fans are 25mm thick so the main slim one I found is 12mm:
https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Slip-Stream-120mm-SY1212SL12L/dp/B002CYPWTG

It doesn't move as much air as a regular fan since it's so thin. Deepcool has a UPC for 120x120x10mm fan but every page I can find it on lists it as 20mm thick, so the 10mm may just be a typo:
http://www.upcindex.com/6933412712176
https://www.amazon.com/Deepcool-Gamer-Storm-Computer-Connector/dp/B00KJF1ZM8

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Rexxed posted:

That's a really unusual size so I'm not sure if you're going to find anything easily. I haven't been able to with some cursory searches. Most 120mm fans are 25mm thick so the main slim one I found is 12mm:
https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Slip-Stream-120mm-SY1212SL12L/dp/B002CYPWTG

It doesn't move as much air as a regular fan since it's so thin. Deepcool has a UPC for 120x120x10mm fan but every page I can find it on lists it as 20mm thick, so the 10mm may just be a typo:
http://www.upcindex.com/6933412712176
https://www.amazon.com/Deepcool-Gamer-Storm-Computer-Connector/dp/B00KJF1ZM8

Sorry, should have clarified I'm not bound by the 10mm thickness like the previous poster. A standard 120mm is fine. It's for a Coolermaster N200, but I have no idea how to compare the bazillion fans available so I don't end up with a case that sounds like a 747. Also, why are LEDs in fans a thing?

Is this good?

Enigma fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 24, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Enigma posted:

Sorry, should have clarified I'm not bound by the 10mm thickness like the previous poster. A standard 120mm is fine. It's for a Coolermaster N200, but I have no idea how to compare the bazillion fans available so I don't end up with a case that sounds like a 747. Also, why are LEDs in fans a thing?

Is this good?

LEDs in fans are a thing because some people like their expensive electronics to glow.

Noctua makes really good fans if you don't want LEDs, and Corsair ones aren't bad if you do. The Noctua 120mm is nearly silent without the included low-voltage adapters and definitely silent with the 5V one on, if not the 7V. Corsair's 120mms don't come with adapters but work fine with the Noctua 7V adapters if you buy extras.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

e:nevermind, missed the "x10mm" part :v:

I think I was being overly conservative. The manual for my case said that certain GPUS only left enough space for 10mm thick fans and other left room for 25mm, but I couldn't tell what thickness my GPU was because it only listed "2 slots" for width and no actual measurement lol

But I don't think my 1060 FE is too thick so probably it will be fine?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eletriarnation posted:

LEDs in fans are a thing because some people like their expensive electronics to glow.

Noctua makes really good fans if you don't want LEDs, and Corsair ones aren't bad if you do. The Noctua 120mm is nearly silent without the included low-voltage adapters and definitely silent with the 5V one on, if not the 7V. Corsair's 120mms don't come with adapters but work fine with the Noctua 7V adapters if you buy extras.

Noctua is great if you want to hide your fans where you can't see them more like :v: (they're really good fans and I think some models come in not horrifyingly ugly).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Enigma posted:

PC Parts Picker says this PSU is incompatible with the Node 202 case. Anyone have any idea why?

Also, my estimated wattage is only around 270, so if I stick with the 600wat PSU would that cause problems?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bass Bottles posted:

PC Parts Picker says this PSU is incompatible with the Node 202 case. Anyone have any idea why?

Also, my estimated wattage is only around 270, so if I stick with the 600wat PSU would that cause problems?

The node 202 is a super small case so it only takes SFX sized power supplies. Enigma linked an ATX one (which is much larger) because the price vs. wattage seemed off on the SFX one, but he didn't realize it was SFX and it will cost more per watt simply due to being small. So the ATX one won't fit and you're paying a bit more for the small size, but you should probably go with your original linked one or another good gold 80+ model like Silverstone which is going to cost about the same anyway:
https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Factor-BRONZE-ST45SF/dp/B003H4QPDC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Okay, weird question time!

Is this: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/bwcMnQ/msi-motherboard-b150igamingproac

The same thing as this: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-S...3.0+Motherboard

My order for this motherboard was canceled earlier today due to shenanigans and when I went to re-order it, it was out of stock! It's still available from Superbiiz, but I've read a lot of horror stories about their service.

Now I see this similar mobo on Amazon that actually seems like it might be the same one. But if it is, why isn't Amazon listed on the pcpartspicker page for it? I don't want to buy sometime I'm not 100% certain is compatible!! :(

They both appear to be MSI B150i Gaming Pro AC motherboards, then there are a ton of other weird jumbles of numbers and letters and I'm worried that there's some significant difference I'm missing.

Edit: okay, I'm like 99% sure this is the same exact motherboard, but the Amazon listing also has a ton of bad reviews. None of the sellers listed on pcpartspicker had bad reviews, so this is pretty suspicious.... :(

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 24, 2016