Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

THanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I just audited my books so that I can use a RNG to choose my next book.

Over 700 UNREAD books across physical, Kindle, iBooks and Kobo. I have a problem.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Read instead of posting

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Sick burn

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just a suggestion

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/07/14/world/europe/ap-eu-hungary-obit-esterhazy.html?_r=0

RIP Peter Esterhazy. Maybe your death will make me read one of your critically acclaimed books.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm getting frustrated as I try to decide what to read between the three books I'm agonizing over. Alive, the story of the soccer team that crashed in the Andes; In the Garden of Beasts, Larsen's book about Nazi Germany; and The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright's Pulitzer winner that documents the rise of Al-Qaeda and the attack on Sept. 11.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

blue squares posted:

I'm getting frustrated as I try to decide what to read between the three books I'm agonizing over. Alive, the story of the soccer team that crashed in the Andes; In the Garden of Beasts, Larsen's book about Nazi Germany; and The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright's Pulitzer winner that documents the rise of Al-Qaeda and the attack on Sept. 11.

The Looming Tower is probably the best non-fic I've read during the last few years, comparable only to Wright's Scientology book. I'd go with that one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mcustic posted:

The Looming Tower is probably the best non-fic I've read during the last few years, comparable only to Wright's Scientology book. I'd go with that one.

And that's another book checked out of the library on my end. Thank you both for the description and rec, it sounds like it's worth a look!

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So, interest check.

I'm not a usual TBB poster (or really that much of a poster) but I'm surprised by the lack of an Iain (M.) Banks thread. Dude's body of work is deep and multifaceted, and a lot of it seems to be right in the Book Barn's wheelhouse (I think it was some recommendations thread here years ago that got me to read The Wasp Factory).

Does anyone else want a thread devoted to the coolest Scottish author?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So, interest check.

I'm not a usual TBB poster (or really that much of a poster) but I'm surprised by the lack of an Iain (M.) Banks thread. Dude's body of work is deep and multifaceted, and a lot of it seems to be right in the Book Barn's wheelhouse (I think it was some recommendations thread here years ago that got me to read The Wasp Factory).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3072427

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So, interest check.

I'd love a thread about Alasdair Grey but I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with it.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

I'm searching for books that take the shape of a narrator confessing their sins. I just read a book in that form ("Dear reader, I'm a terrible person and no God can forgive the enormous heinous sins I've committed, my hands drenched in blood as I write this. But you must know it was never my intention. It all started on a summer day in etc etc") and it seemed really cliche, but I can't really think of other examples.

Lolita is one, but it's been a while since I read it. Any other ideas?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sort of - Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Warning: may contain aliens and/or wizards. Plus he might not be actually confessing his sins...

e: VVV That's a very good one, yeah.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 17, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Another sort of: The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco. Although, the protagonist might not be aware he had sinned.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Sai posted:

I'm searching for books that take the shape of a narrator confessing their sins. I just read a book in that form ("Dear reader, I'm a terrible person and no God can forgive the enormous heinous sins I've committed, my hands drenched in blood as I write this. But you must know it was never my intention. It all started on a summer day in etc etc") and it seemed really cliche, but I can't really think of other examples.

Lolita is one, but it's been a while since I read it. Any other ideas?

The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, by James Hogg. Except the narrator is too delusional to think he did anything wrong.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anilEhilated posted:

Plus he might not be actually confessing his sins...

mcustic posted:

Although, the protagonist might not be aware he had sinned.

Esme posted:

Except the narrator is too delusional to think he did anything wrong.

A pattern emerges...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if we interpreted it as first person past tense narrative with emphasis on a critical approach to the events related, then, uh...

...Look, the real recommendation thread is right under this one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A good one is Steven King's Dolores Claiborne, about a housewife confessing to murdering her abusive husband.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BioEnchanted posted:

A good one is Steven King's Dolores Claiborne, about a housewife confessing to murdering her abusive husband.

For years and years I had an antipathy towards david strathairn. he plays the dad who molests his daughter and gets dropped the gently caress down.

Much later I realized it was a role he played. hes incredibly good at any role

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I also enjoyed Rose Madder. It gets uncomfortable in the Steven King way at times, but the story is interestingly told - half of it is from the point of View of a woman who (again, it's part of a trilogy of books involving abused wives) finally plucks up the courage to flee her husband after he beats her into a miscarriage (although the actual tipping point is finding small spots of blood on her pillow indicating long term damage that her husband has done that could actually kill her in time) and her journey to a women's shelter and the reinvention of her life after her first independent purchase - a painting of a woman dressed in a Rose Madder gown (Rose Madder being how the colour is described), that helps her by being a totem - the woman is a ideal, someone she wants to be like.

The other half is from the point of view of her psychotic husband, who is a cop, and therefore good and finding people. This really helps ratchet up the tension immensely as you see how far she gets, and then at times, how close he gets to finding her, and because you're in his head too you see just how much more unhinged he's getting.

One of my favourite scenes is a scene where the husband, by chance, ends up at the diner that his wife is working at, completely by chance, while she is on shift. he completely fails to recognise her even as she is waiting on the guy next to him, because she has changed so much. Not only has she dies her hair, but she has lost weight due to the lowered stress, she is wearing nicer clothes that suit her new figure better, and she is carrying herself with a confidence that he never saw in her before and therefore cannot recognise as hers.

I even kinda liked the ending because it was foreshadowed well enough. Since buying the painting she notices that bugs have started getting into her apartment. She starts seeing dead grasshoppers in the frame of the painting, and that sort of thing, and eventually ends up narnia'ing it, only to find that the woman who was helping her attitude with just her presence has disappeared, leaving her gown behind. Her husband, who by this point is completely deranged and hiding his face with a child's bull mask that he can't take back off because its stuck. The painting world is an ancient greek style ruin. the wife, now fully taking on the persona of the woman in the painting, starts teasing him, forcing him to chase her to wear him out. Of course she leads him into a labyrinth because :byodame:SYMBOLISM:byodame: and finally manages to finish him.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Does anyone find that having a long to-read list overwhelms them? Or that access to audiobooks distracts from reading?

I really enjoy reading, but recently I haven't been. This is frustrating because I have a lot of time this summer expressly for reading.

Anyone have any advice for setting the mood for a good few hours of reading?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

William Stoner posted:

Does anyone find that having a long to-read list overwhelms them? Or that access to audiobooks distracts from reading?

I really enjoy reading, but recently I haven't been. This is frustrating because I have a lot of time this summer expressly for reading.

On the contrary I take comfort in knowing my life will probably end trapped by a collapsing pile of books as I accidentally set off a trap I installed in one of my movement corridors.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

William Stoner posted:

Yeah, this is me. I have so many unread books it's getting ridiculous, and my attention span for reading is getting worse and worse recently. Whenever I have an hour or two to spare for reading I end up spending it listening to podcasts, or watching youtube or TV shows.

I keep track of all my unread books on Goodreads, but I have so many now that I've had to split my list into many "to read" lists. Keep in mind this is all books I've paid for and own, but haven't read yet:

must-read-collections ‎(28)
must-read-fantasy-horror ‎(62)
must-read-nonfiction ‎(45)
must-read-other-fiction ‎(26)
must-read-sf ‎(88)
to-read ‎(245)

(that last one being the general list of stuff I'll get to after all the "must-read" books)

The number of books I've finished so far this year? 4 :smith:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

William Stoner posted:

I find that keeping a to-read list makes reading feel like a chore. I end up forcing my way through a particular book just to cross it off the top of a list.

There are enough books that I don't actually "need" to use a list for remembering what might interest me, so without it, finishing a book can be a feeling of liberation. I don't have to trudge back to a weary list; instead, it's an opportunity to browse around again and pick whatever is appropriate for my mood at the time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, this is me. I have so many unread books it's getting ridiculous, and my attention span for reading is getting worse and worse recently. Whenever I have an hour or two to spare for reading I end up spending it listening to podcasts, or watching youtube or TV shows.

I keep track of all my unread books on Goodreads, but I have so many now that I've had to split my list into many "to read" lists. Keep in mind this is all books I've paid for and own, but haven't read yet:

must-read-collections ‎(28)
must-read-fantasy-horror ‎(62)
must-read-nonfiction ‎(45)
must-read-other-fiction ‎(26)
must-read-sf ‎(88)
to-read ‎(245)

(that last one being the general list of stuff I'll get to after all the "must-read" books)

The number of books I've finished so far this year? 4 :smith:

Maybe you should read some good books, instead of bad ones

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Putting a kindle app on my phone has been game changing for keeping up with my reading.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

Maybe you should read some good books, instead of bad ones

well he does have a videogame avatar

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Let me tell you why videogames are literature

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

William Stoner posted:

I joined the goon book lord challenge this year, and it has both helped motivate me to read more and also gotten me to branch out of the sci-fi/fantasy rut I'd fallen into. I'm still reading slower than I'd like and slower than I used to a few years ago, but I'm getting through ~3 books a month now, compared to last year where I read maybe 5 total.

Even if you decide you're going to spend 15 minutes reading before doing anything else helps because you get into a story then.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I like using a to-read list (which is more of a "these are books I might want to read at some point" rather than "these are books I have to read") as a sort of shopping list, or something to keep in mind when I'm at a library, a bookstore or similar. there's hundreds of pretty good books out there and it would be impossible to keep track of them all whenever I need to. and there's still room for impulse bying/borrowing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

I like using a to-read list (which is more of a "these are books I might want to read at some point" rather than "these are books I have to read") as a sort of shopping list, or something to keep in mind when I'm at a library, a bookstore or similar. there's hundreds of pretty good books out there and it would be impossible to keep track of them all whenever I need to. and there's still room for impulse bying/borrowing

Yeah, I have a big list of books that come out every year and how many pages they have so I can quickly buy something that I feel like reading once I am done with what I currently have

Still hasn't prevented my reading list from being like 100 books deep

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone read Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous , and more importantly, is it any good?

All comments and reviews point to it being good, but the V for Vendetta mask/4chan Anonymous face for the cover makes me incredibly hesitant.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what's a good translation of ovid's metamorphoses?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

icantfindaname posted:

Don't get the one with the Guy Fawkes mask on the cover.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

Has anyone read Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous , and more importantly, is it any good?

All comments and reviews point to it being good, but the V for Vendetta mask/4chan Anonymous face for the cover makes me incredibly hesitant.

Get it on kindle.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't that mask synonymous with the group? Why is it inappropriate to use it as the book's cover?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

icantfindaname posted:

As with practically any classics book, you can't really go wrong with Penguin Classics or Oxford World Classics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading the Oxford World's Classics edition, and A.D. Melville's translation is very fluid and absorbing, aside from some occasional clumsiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I like the OWC editions of most books over their Penguin counterparts but that's just me. Those endnotes, man. Those endnotes.