Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Don't gently caress with it, dude.

Powershift posted:

remeber it's a $750 truck that probably has 20,000 hours on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

Don't gently caress with it, dude.

This is what happens when you start loving with sub $1000 cars and are an AI regular - heed the warning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

McTinkerson posted:

This is what happens when you start loving with sub $1000 cars and are an AI regular - heed the warning.

:frogon:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Hey, i beat the living poo poo out of my $1000 540 for over 28,000kms without issue. That's despite driving it on worn LCA bushings, hosed ball joints, completely bald tires and a wheel with a giant chunk missing out of it. The moral of the story is, if you're paying less than $1000 for a vehicle, make sure it's a V8.

You wouldn't have that problem with a V8.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I just got a "new" car and we got it home yesterday.

1949 styleline deluxe 4 door. Currently it's not running and has no brakes. But it shouldn't take much to get it going.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Hey, i beat the living poo poo out of my $1000 540 for over 28,000kms without issue. That's despite driving it on worn LCA bushings, hosed ball joints, completely bald tires and a wheel with a giant chunk missing out of it. The moral of the story is, if you're paying less than $1000 for a vehicle, make sure it's a V8.

You wouldn't have that problem with a V8.

If Sweet Chili Heat had any power, the other end would be the one in the tree.

Or we'd have an awesome shot of a dead brown bear embedded in their rear quarter as they drift raced it to death.

edit: Also meet us in the Trans Mountain to Tidewater Rally thread if you want to know more about Beautiful Angel Sweet Chili Heat.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 25, 2016

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Valt posted:

1949 styleline deluxe 4 door. Currently it's not running and has no brakes. But it shouldn't take much to get it going.

:stare:

Paging Lobsterboy to the thread, paging doctor Lobsterboy.

That looks beautiful. gently caress me that interior is great.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Valt posted:

Holy hell, this is gorgeous! I have to know more about this

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Valt posted:

Awesome. Starting a thread I assume for getting it roadworthy? What are parts like to get?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Valt posted:

Just of interest to you, here's the brochure for the car:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1949_Chevrolet/1949_Chevrolet_Foldout/1949%20Chevrolet%20Foldout-01.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finally got my new(er) 2012 Ford Focus. Only done 5900kms.

Sorry about the poo poo quality of the lighting in the pics, dying light and winter time ya'll

Tidy exterior, but there are some small scratches that kinda annoy me

Interior is in good quality for a former work car. Some of the chrome/silver is peeling slightly on the steering wheel

2.0lts of turbo diesel powaaaaaarrr. Pulls very hard, and not too noisy, well compared to a similar era Holden Cruze diesel my workplace has.

Future mods? CAT Diesel Mudflaps and "Haulin' Pussy" wind deflector on the bonnet ;) Nah, I wouldn't mind getting the diesel tuned for more power (not chipped). And maybe put the high series radio into it, but at the moment I just want to get used to it.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

slidebite posted:

Awesome. Starting a thread I assume for getting it roadworthy? What are parts like to get?

Yah I will start a thread once I actually start working on it. As it stands its hard for me to work on it since its not running. But I'm going to get a battery for it and see if it will start. Most likely it will as it was running when parked (16 years ago). I did get the brakes to sort of start working by adding fluid to it (master cylinder was dry). As far as what I plan to do to it, I'm getting lowering blocks for the rear and new springs for the front. I would also like to find a original radio and surround for it, as you can see it is missing in the interior picture.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Valt posted:

Just echoing everyone else but :aaaaa:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I sold my BRZ a few months ago and picked up a STI, finally got my new wheels and suspension on this weekend.

New Footwork 02 by Alex Boyd, on Flickr

New Footwork 01 by Alex Boyd, on Flickr

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I'm a moron and can't figure out images. I'm working on it :/

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 26, 2016

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

well I'd been meaning to get a new bumper anyway :saddowns:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Now that's an Alfa.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Scotch posted:

Now that's an Alfa.

But it's not on fire???

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I got rid of my S60R and replaced it with something more... 'merica.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

Finally got my new(er) 2012 Ford Focus. Only done 5900kms.
My sister just bought the same car, in Canada. It doesn't have the diesel :( but otherwise is pretty great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

But it's not on fire???

The part you can't see is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Just a cell phone photo driving around the Appalachian mountains.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

Just a cell phone photo driving around the Appalachian mountains.

Virginia and West Virginia are so beautiful to drive around. Some of the roads going up the mountains are full of 180 degree bends that are a blast to drive on. Heres a pic of the road trip I took there last year.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

Virginia and West Virginia are so beautiful to drive around. Some of the roads going up the mountains are full of 180 degree bends that are a blast to drive on. Heres a pic of the road trip I took there last year.

My parents live on a lake in western Maryland so I go up there frequently in the Summer. Most of the drive up is pretty dull highways up and down the mountains, but towards the end you get some winding backroads that were pretty fun when I'd take my corvette. Unfortunately last summer in my optima I hit a deer on one, I wasn't even speeding since it was at night. Now I find I'm way more paranoid driving anything that isn't 4 lanes wide or has tons of visibility.

State Farm tried to jack up my insurance after that, as if suicidal deer are my fault. I could have easily totalled the car instead if I hadn't gotten on the brakes as soon as I did. Since I've been with them for over 20 years they fixed it and changed my rate back to what it was. Unfortunately my rates increased $130 this last period just due to the statistics of 2012 Kia Optima SX's being crashed. I figured surely that's bullshit and they're just trying to recoup having to pay for the deer, but I pricechecked some other insurance companies and it looks like it's true. I guess that matches up with the used sx I saw walking by a dealership that had a bunch of front end damage. It's like you can't own anything with a turbo because once people can pick them up used for cheap they think it's a race car even if its a 4-door family sedan?

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Four door sedan you say?

Insurance for this guy is around $1,600/y with an agreed value. Checked how much they were for the more powerful, more expensive Toyota Supra. Motherfucking $1,200/y. Considering I know a bunch of people personally who have written them off, it's understandable but ugh.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

davebo posted:

It's like you can't own anything with a turbo because once people can pick them up used for cheap they think it's a race car even if its a 4-door family sedan?

4-door family vehicles indeed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PenisMonkey posted:

4-door family vehicles indeed.

Hey neither of those is cheap, your wife won't take that Mercedes over 2k rpm and the M3 is almost as short as a Corolla. When I say family I mean mid-size god dammit!

I assume the insurance for those is crazy but I wonder per-capita do those get damaged less than cheaper cars and does that make the insurance semi-reasonable?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Full coverage for both and home insurance runs me $300 a month. I have no idea if that's good or not.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I got rid of my S60R and replaced it with something more... 'merica.

My brain has lost the ability to post pictures but I also picked up the same car on Monday (same color too) so I am co-opting your post.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Four door family car you say?

Yes it's seen snow, slides as well as you'd expect

Of course a modern Corolla is larger, has more leg room and probably has a faster 0-60 time

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:fap:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Abe Froman posted:

My brain has lost the ability to post pictures but I also picked up the same car on Monday (same color too) so I am co-opting your post.

That's a weird coincidence. Which drivetrain?

Mine's a 3.6 AWD. I wanted a 3.6 RWD premium for the magnetic ride control and LSD but the closest one was 450 miles away and it was kind of an urgent problem as my S60R had started quietly telling knock-knock jokes. Fortunately it only did so when cold or reved above 5k so the dealer didn't notice.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

~*Insurance Chat*~

$110 a month in New Jersey(old pic, ignore inspection stickers) for my four door family sedan.

My rate actually went down $30 per month when it renewed in the spring which was nice.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

NitroSpazzz posted:

Four door family car you say?

Yes it's seen snow, slides as well as you'd expect

Of course a modern Corolla is larger, has more leg room and probably has a faster 0-60 time

I love all of your M cars but that E28 is the best :allears:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's a weird coincidence. Which drivetrain?

Mine's a 3.6 AWD. I wanted a 3.6 RWD premium for the magnetic ride control and LSD but the closest one was 450 miles away and it was kind of an urgent problem as my S60R had started quietly telling knock-knock jokes. Fortunately it only did so when cold or reved above 5k so the dealer didn't notice.

In Canada dealers pretty much stock AWD Cadillac models only, with a rare base model RWD thrown in.

No Mag-ride ats's unless you order it from the factory. :smith:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

~*Insurance Chat*~

$110 a month in New Jersey(old pic, ignore inspection stickers) for my four door family sedan.

My rate actually went down $30 per month when it renewed in the spring which was nice.

$114/Mo in Los Angeles for my 2016 non-sti 4 door family sedan and 83 supra. :hf:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

El Scotch posted:

In Canada dealers pretty much stock AWD Cadillac models only, with a rare base model RWD thrown in.

No Mag-ride ats's unless you order it from the factory. :smith:

I gotta say the AWD model may not be the best version, but it's still damned good. I just need to get some Pilot Supersports on this thing. The all seasons it came with are the weakest link.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It will never exist, for a squillion reasons we all already know, but I love the idea of an ATS hatch.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Halp there're scorpions on my car:

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

No. 6 posted:

Halp there's scorpions on my car

Coilover are going on this week.

Good color!