Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I now understand why people talk about how much better the Laguna stuff is. There's the main game, with long confusing conversations full of Teen Drama and pointless side stuff spread between plots to Save The World...

Then you cut back to Laguna, where three questionably employed dumbasses keep stumbling through various unlikely borderline disasters in their attempts to basically make enough cash to get by without being arrested or killed as a result of a previous borderline disaster. It's a much more likable narrative. Sure, Laguna and Zell are both dumbasses. But even aside from writing quality, (where Laguna wins) Laguna's a dumbass when it's mostly him on the line, which is relatable. Zell is a dumbass with the fate of the world on his shoulders, which makes you wonder why someone competent isn't on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Cool Ghost posted:

Laguna does a few practice slashes with the gunblade, then strikes a heroic pose. The pose he strikes makes me think that Seifer does it at some point, but I can't find a picture of that particular pose.

Seifer's victory pose/animation I think.
He even does a couple of slashes before the pose as well.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Seifer is just the biggest loving goon, isn't he?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nihilarian posted:

I love these guys' limit breaks, especially Desperado

It really is the greatest attack ever.

Are there any videos of the Dissidia version that don't have Ultimecia in them?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It really is the greatest attack ever.

Are there any videos of the Dissidia version that don't have Ultimecia in them?

I have a compilation of all EX Bursts, but I had everyone attack their story mode counterparts, so Laguna is fighting Cloud of Darkness. Just don't read the description and stop before it gets to Squall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUPd_YBXJu0&t=39s

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Desperado is probably the best limit in any FF. It doesn't matter if Ward's is more powerful, because Laguna hangs from a magic rope (where does it go? What is it attached to? Who cares?) and just blasts the entire field with his machine gun.

Cool Ghost posted:

If you put the pieces together (this movie includes two characters, a sorceress and a knight), you can tell this is the movie Seifer loves and wants to emulate. That's right, Seifer's "romantic dream" is to be some dork from Galbadia who stumbled into acting in a B-movie adaptation of a fairytale.

this is my favorite little detail in all of FF8. It's also what I was very obliquely referring to way back when:

Psion posted:

I actually just learned about another one that won't have a payoff for two more discs, so I sure hope I remember it in six months or two years or whenever! It's kind of amazing in what it does to explain character motivations when you take it in context. I completely missed it every time I actually played 8.

so I guess I did remember! :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Psion posted:

Desperado is probably the best limit in any FF. It doesn't matter if Ward's is more powerful, because Laguna hangs from a magic rope (where does it go? What is it attached to? Who cares?) and just blasts the entire field with his machine gun.

Ward's is just as impressive - the guy not only manages to throw a heavy harpoon up who knows how high, but then jumps high and accurately enough to land perfectly on top of it after it inexplicably curves straight back down.

Put it simply, the guy's not only strong and fast, he's got some mad inner knowledge of physics and angles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Psion posted:

A helicopter, obviously.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cool Ghost posted:

And so, a new minigame begins, with Laguna fighting the dragon. Before that, though, take a look at Laguna's stance. He holds the gunblade sideways, in a backhanded grip with the blade pointing out. It looks pretty familiar, because:

If you put the pieces together (this movie includes two characters, a sorceress and a knight), you can tell this is the movie Seifer loves and wants to emulate. That's right, Seifer's "romantic dream" is to be some dork from Galbadia who stumbled into acting in a B-movie adaptation of a fairytale.

I never put this together before. Seifer is a loving dork.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Ward is using the harpoon while still in the army too. Wanna know how that got approved.

"You get a machine gun. You get two big knives, hope you can hit someone before you get shot. You get uuuuh a giant harpoon, no launcher though, just throw it at the enemy."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like to think Laguna probably just misplaced Ward's actual equipment and so he had to improvise with whatever that was lying about.

Not sure anything accounts for whatever Kiros is wearing though. It looks uncomfortable.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I wonder if they ever finished filming... I guess they musta if it's Seifer's basis for how a Knight behaves (like a dork).

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I think it's sad. You can just picture some poor kid without any real role models in his life fixating on an imaginary movie hero and watching it over and over.
Seifer's an orphan whose carers put him into a child soldier training camp. He's just a bit emotionally stunted, and he's meant to be what? 17?

But he tries to be a hero, despite it being drilled into them that they're amoral mercenaries, and even runs off to save everyone in Timber. He knows the importance of having friends. He had the girl.
Then Zell goes and opens his big dumb mouth and suddenly Seifer's the bad guy and doesn't get to have 4 disks of emotional growth like Squall does.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This LP is great though. I had no idea about most of the stuff in FH, opting to run straight to the objectives in most cases. And uh

Tbh a lot of that was spent in triple triad over like 3 playthroughs. I pretty much install it whenever I just want to break a game over my knee before the second boss or w/e.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Strong Convections posted:

But he tries to be a hero, despite it being drilled into them that they're amoral mercenaries, and even runs off to save everyone in Timber. He knows the importance of having friends. He had the girl.
Then Zell goes and opens his big dumb mouth and suddenly Seifer's the bad guy and doesn't get to have 4 disks of emotional growth like Squall does.

Now that Edea is not the sorceress any more, Seifer can join the party, right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I think it's sad. You can just picture some poor kid without any real role models in his life fixating on an imaginary movie hero and watching it over and over.
Seifer's an orphan whose carers put him into a child soldier training camp. He's just a bit emotionally stunted, and he's meant to be what? 17?

Seifer broke the rules, abandoned his teammates at the Dollet exam, and held a hostage at gunbladepoint.

He's no hero.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The_Frag_Man posted:

Now that Edea is not the sorceress any more, Seifer can join the party, right?

Well, Rinoa interacted with him some way in that trippy bit between beating Edea and when she went comatose, and he walked uncontested out of the scene to some unknown end. That's not exactly the behavior of a guy who's all "gently caress, what have I been up to, let's mend bridges and be buds again", not that that's really Seifer's style anyway.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ApplesandOranges posted:

Seifer broke the rules, abandoned his teammates at the Dollet exam, and held a hostage at gunbladepoint.

He's no hero.

All villains believe themselves to be the heroes.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

ApplesandOranges posted:

He's no hero.

Yeah, he isn't hero, but a gloryhound: his problem is that he doesn't understand the difference between the two in time for him to become anything other than Ultimecia's pet. The worst part is that he wasn't entirely wrong: Edea *wasn't* actually the evil one herself, but by protecting her, he just made things worse for everybody. And now he's trapped: if he stops now, he'll be seen as a war criminal, but if he continues, he'll just continue to make the world a worse place.

Squall is becoming the hero Seifer wanted to be, and could even be considered the knight of a sorceress now that Rinoa seems to have magical powers, while Seifer (ironically, considering the movie) is just a dragon.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Leal posted:

I never put this together before. Seifer is a loving dork.

Seriously holy poo poo. Stuff like this is why I will always read FF LPs. Keep up the good work Cool Ghost!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Ward is using the harpoon while still in the army too. Wanna know how that got approved.

"You get a machine gun. You get two big knives, hope you can hit someone before you get shot. You get uuuuh a giant harpoon, no launcher though, just throw it at the enemy."

It's the Anime Army. Everyone gets to use their own weapon.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

He's no hero.

He identified a key strategic location, and captured it. Breaking the rules is something heroes do all the time if they think it's right. There are also indications he doesn't think much of being the perfect obedient mercenary.

Abandoning is a bit of a strong word considering what he actually did was leave a team of highly trained mercenaries who can summon demons to make their way back down a path that he'd already helped to clear on the way up. It was the wrong decision, but he didn't leave out of cowardice.

He held a hostage at gunbladepoint to help his friends. Not even super close friends from what we've seen - just some kids his own age that he thought had been sent on a mission that was way over their heads. He probably thought they were going to get killed for Cid's bottom line.

I think you can say he's not a hero, but I think he certainly tries.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
One of my favorite things about FF8 (and much as I might complain about the game systems, there are good things in there) is the fact that the renegade who plays by his own rules and GETS RESULTS, DAMMIT is actually the villain whereas the straight-laced, dutiful, emotionally stunted guy who follows orders is the hero.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think seifer rules until he gets brainwashed

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

exethan posted:

I think seifer rules until he gets brainwashed

Can you really say he gets brainwashed though? He's more going along for the ride, knowing totally what he's getting himself into, but not caring because it gives him his chance to live his dream.

Really though, it is rather appropriate. Seifer goes off on his own, disobeying orders, and does terrible things for the sake of living out his dream since his first priority is his own interest. It's just that he happens to be being used, despite being all about his own freedom. Meanwhile, Squall is all about following orders, but has been trying to keep his own interests and desires under wraps. And hey, he becomes a leader, despite wanting nothing to do with this whole responsibility and freedom thing, he'd rather just take orders.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There might have been some brainwashing magic keeping him on the rails, but it probably didn't take much effort for Ultamecia to pull off. If anything she probably only needed to suppress his inhibitions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

He held a hostage at gunbladepoint to help his friends. Not even super close friends from what we've seen - just some kids his own age that he thought had been sent on a mission that was way over their heads. He probably thought they were going to get killed for Cid's bottom line.

this is legit a seriously heroic thing to do

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

He's no hero.

Never was.

Just an old killer. Hired to do some wetwork.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...And now, for whatever reason, I'm imagining Seifer as MGS3-era Ocelot.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Don't forget, Seifer also probably used GFs in training. So maybe when he was a kid, he looked at this movie and considered the sorceress' knight someone who he wanted to become, and he started to mold his personality around. Except, as he used GFs that idea started to fuzz and fade until there was just this niggling thing is his subconcious about being a sorceress' knight. He subconciously remembers the fighting style that was used, and models an actually decent fighting style off of it. Then he meets Edea and joins up with her because it's one of his only remaining options, and as he spends time with her, he comes to realize that she's their adoptive mother, and a sorceress and he finds himself fulfilling that subconcious desire. So despite following an absolute despot, Seifer feels right in the world and sees Squall and company as enemies that just want to kill his Matron and Mistress, and that their the enemy. Then some stuff happens that I won't really talk about because we're not there yet that reinforces his fall.

Seifer's story is loving tragic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, if Seifer bothered to bring Fujin and Raijin with him to Timber probably this whole mess could have been avoided. Seifer hasn't had many people that would back him up; most of the faculty pretty much mocked him to his face. With actual dissenting voices there early enough to give him pause about what he's doing Edea's grip wouldn't have sunk in so deeply.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I swear to god you're all putting in tons more thought into this than Square ever did.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
It's a small thing, but Seifer hasn't forgotten about the movie. He's actually got the script on reserve at the library, plus a Garden NPC mentions that it's recently been remade.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What's Seifer's thoughts on remaking one of his childhood favorite movies?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

"What the gently caress do you mean it's a woman knight protecting the Sorceress?! :argh:"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Can we possibly avoid where this conversation is headed?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yes by talking about something else:

I hated this minigame, like after the whole punching one this was really bad and gave you little chance to recover if you hosed up.

Also I always wondered what triggered Ward to appear and why is he there/not there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seifer decapitating Cid would be the most heroic thing any character on FF8 could ever do.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Golden Goat posted:

Yes by talking about something else:

I hated this minigame, like after the whole punching one this was really bad and gave you little chance to recover if you hosed up.

Also I always wondered what triggered Ward to appear and why is he there/not there.

Reading a specific Timber Maniacs, where Selphie is a Blind gently caress and can't see Ward in the picture, despite him being in plain sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Silegna posted:

Reading a specific Timber Maniacs, where Selphie is a Blind gently caress and can't see Ward in the picture, despite him being in plain sight.

Proving once and for all that our present day heroes can change the past. They just don't bother to do so most of the time.

• Locked thread