Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You know...

We could enslave a giant faction, make then kill more giants until they are all dead and use the soul stones for more giant enslavement? If we can do this again that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Azuth0667 posted:

J - Convince the adults that EL has sent us to free them and that they are to further ELs will by freeing other villages. Arm them with whatever extra weapons we might have at let them go to town. Give whatever advice we can then assure them that their children will be safe and free.
These people are puny even by Donut standards. It is highly improbable they could take down any giants.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Q
A

As long as Q seems like a good idea with our Benefactor.

My explanation to the Balls is that they gazed on the glory of El and have joined Him in paradise.

Then we leave a trail in the wrong direction (or stampede all the actual livestock all over the village/immediate forest) and go home on foot.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Could we create an item, powered by faith in El, that creates an aura that is utterly repulsive to demons and monsters?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Some? Would it be a worthwhile amount? Limitations on type or strength? Is this pleasing to El and/or our Benefactor? How does it feel with the idea of the Giants praising and serving El?
You have no opinion on how you feel about it.

How many you could enslave depends on how powerful they are. This would not be an effective strategy to overwhelm even Gebek, if you had such an item when you came. It won't be enough.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Could we create an item, powered by faith in El, that creates an aura that is utterly repulsive to demons and monsters?
Repulse, or hide?

Hide, as per the Tent Poles, yes.

Actively repulsing them would be more noticeable.

It would not be powered by faith in El in any event.

It would not work on sufficiently powerful "demons".

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Q
A

As long as Q seems like a good idea with our Benefactor.

My explanation to the Balls is that they gazed on the glory of El and have joined Him in paradise.

Then we leave a trail in the wrong direction (or stampede all the actual livestock all over the village/immediate forest) and go home on foot.

quote:

Yet the Whispers offer no guidance not suggestion nor tactic not strategy. It is up to you to decide what may best be made from the perverse, accursed bounty before you.

You feel nothing at Q. None of them seem like a "bad idea", only some of the ideas proposed are upsetting.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Diogines posted:

Repulse, or hide?

Hide, as per the Tent Poles, yes.

Actively repulsing them would be more noticeable.

It would not be powered by faith in El in any event.

It would not work on sufficiently powerful "demons".
Basically the idea would be to make the area around the item extremely unpleasant for beings that are actively hostile to Man, and encourage them to go elsewhere. Monster pest repellant of a sort.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Diogines posted:

These people are puny even by Donut standards. It is highly improbable they could take down any giants.

Probably not directly but, with a little subterfuge they could do some damage. Set a bunch of traps, make some poison and wait for an opportune moment.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Basically the idea would be to make the area around the item extremely unpleasant for beings that are actively hostile to Man, and encourage them to go elsewhere. Monster pest repellant of a sort.
Viable. If you lessen the scope to not include demons, or lessen the scope on what you consider to be "demons", it will be less noticeable.

You've never had a clear definition of what "demons" are and have not gained one now.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SerSpook posted:

You know...

We could enslave a giant faction, make then kill more giants until they are all dead and use the soul stones for more giant enslavement? If we can do this again that is

Yea, that's kind of where I am going with this, although in preference making it a "Cult of El" among the giants. Let's create a heresy amongst the giants, the best kind of heresy. We're not going to bust down the doors of New Amelak or overthrow Fake Amok and all his demon lords without having this empire turn in on itself. Also, the benefit to this means the giants will be infinitely more concerned with self-policing than striking out, potentially giving Zepath breathing room.

Diogines posted:

You have no opinion on how you feel about it.

How many you could enslave depends on how powerful they are. This would not be an effective strategy to overwhelm even Gebek, if you had such an item when you came. It won't be enough.

How much would be required to enslave/convert a single average giant? Are we talking 1:1 here?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
V E C'mon y'all, let's get an expensive degree that won't help us get a job! It'll lead to greater power in the long run if it helps us figure out how to science!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, that's kind of where I am going with this, although in preference making it a "Cult of El" among the giants. Let's create a heresy amongst the giants, the best kind of heresy. We're not going to bust down the doors of New Amelak or overthrow Fake Amok and all his demon lords without having this empire turn in on itself. Also, the benefit to this means the giants will be infinitely more concerned with self-policing than striking out, potentially giving Zepath breathing room.

How much would be required to enslave/convert a single average giant? Are we talking 1:1 here?

A few dozen with all of the resources available now?

An "average" giant was about 20 feet tall and possessed no magical powers of any sort you could see, besides being very big and very strong.

The Silver Mesh were 40 feet tall and some, but not most of them seemed to have supernatural powers?

The Gold Mesh were also about 40 feet tall and all of them seemed to have supernatural powers.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Actually? I'm debating stasis vs. my current plan. On one hand, I think it's better to save everyone later, rather than save some people and (probably) drat (some of?) the rest. But on the other hand, Gebeb is sealed *now*, and he may not be when we return. Do you fancy our odds against him, even when we're full-up on Might?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I'm the only one that thinks using human soul powered giants against other giants is as bad as making human soul powered giants in the first place, not to mention that Dio already said it'd be ineffective against the likes of Gebeb and his like?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Slaan posted:

I'm in. Call me Wolfgang Og von Child
But it might not contain recipe for cooking human.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I don't know what to do about the folks we can't take with us.

I want to vote for a club, but...

Did anyone else notice that Fred is with us? Isn't Fred the donkey what turned into an evil thing that killed us all horribly? If so, that might make team stupid teleport the only non-party wiping option.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Arcturas posted:

Did anyone else notice that Fred is with us? Isn't Fred the donkey what turned into an evil thing that killed us all horribly? If so, that might make team stupid teleport the only non-party wiping option.
Won't work. We gave it to the bug queen and it somehow stay with us instead.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Arcturas posted:

Fred is our most beloved donkey, he's been with us for years. In another reality he is living a happy life in Bug City. And a motherfucking demons impersonated him to kidnap women.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Fred was a real donkey, the bugs took him, he came back once the demon made everyone forget that.

Also we need to use this moment to brand upon Ishamal's psyche and awareness of his own well equivalent the question "why don't I poop?"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Nyaa posted:

But it might not contain recipe for cooking human.

We can make our own, starting from the fundamentals :colbert:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Slaan posted:

We can make our own, starting from the fundamentals :colbert:
But then we don't need the cookbook since human is the tastiest food?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Diogines posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean?
Let's say hypothetical-future-Enkidel makes a series of very poor decisions and wants to travel back in time to fix them, but he's doomed to fail due to the nature of Urian time travel.

Can we prepare some sort of 'landing point' here in his past to help him get here?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Diogines posted:

A few dozen with all of the resources available now?

An "average" giant was about 20 feet tall and possessed no magical powers of any sort you could see, besides being very big and very strong.

The Silver Mesh were 40 feet tall and some, but not most of them seemed to have supernatural powers?

The Gold Mesh were also about 40 feet tall and all of them seemed to have supernatural powers.

So if the process can be replicated (IF) then it's possible to say take over a border town here and there, breed a cult and mythos of El amongst the giants, and sow disruption within the empire? I think the biggest question is: can the giants be saved and brought into the glorious embrace of El? Am I reading it correctly that the giants are not soley composed of what I assume are human souls sacrificed to animate the constructs? That they have an existence separate from needing human souls to function, as potentially evidenced by the ones (I guess spiritual manifestation?) detained and screaming as we plot on what to do with them?

Toughy posted:

I'm the only one that thinks using human soul powered giants against other giants is as bad as making human soul powered giants in the first place, not to mention that Dio already said it'd be ineffective against the likes of Gebeb and his like?

The point is to turn them away from the false practices and subservience to demons and to the worship of El. Releasing their victims could potentially be a part of this, but I'm not particularly troubled by the idea that the enemies of El fighting amongst each other, and don't see it on the same level as consumption of humans and the rites necessary to bring giants into existence.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Nyaa posted:

But then we don't need the cookbook since human is the tastiest food?

I HUNGER to KICK IT UP A NOTCH. Human flesh is the best base to be sure. But what if we broiled it with saffron and a white wine based sauce. And topped it off with magic soul gems to add in some crunchy?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer: How about : A small object, attuned to these people and their bloodlines, not us or our balls, which would protect them from the beasts of the wilds and demons and the giants looking for them if they decided to become nomads on their own. Placed on the ground it slowly rotates until it points at the nearest non-underground water source. We could then leave them to it and they could go off and found their own city somewhere else, or follow behind us more slowly on their own terms.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Fred was always with you.

Well at one point you left him behind and then a demon posed as him. But due to the retcon, you probably never met that demon?

Edit: Beaten by others.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
QA

My long term plan would be to follow Amok, since calamity would apparently follow us home, and I feel inclined to believe it. I think the loss of a northernmost city would in fact cause any empire to look widely to the north. So let's make tracks east, whether we decide to make our tracks look like we're [strikeout]Amok or his hypothetical buddies, or pretend we're[/strikeout] Bnaimokt. [strikeout]Bonus points if we can make them think the Bnaimokt woke Amok up.[/strikeout]

I would also like to hear more about Fred and if he did or did not turn into a monster. :ohdear:

edit: actually let's let Amokland be obscure, they could do bad things with invincible hunger demons even they had to spend some giants or seconds to get them somewhere useful.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 2, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Algid posted:

Let's say hypothetical-future-Enkidel makes a series of very poor decisions and wants to travel back in time to fix them, but he's doomed to fail due to the nature of Urian time travel.

Can we prepare some sort of 'landing point' here in his past to help him get here?

Silence.

Inability or refusal?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Response to IRC comment:

quote:

<VikingHelmet> I forget, is suicide considered a sin in our religion?
<VikingHelmet> like if we convince all the adults to off themselves, is that going to cause a big negative reaction from our balls (beyond at least some of them being unhappy about tons of people we just saved dying)

Diogines posted:

Suicide is a misdeed. Your body belongs to El and killing yourself robs him. It is considered a property crime, albeit a serious one. It won't keep you from climbing Mount Har if you otherwise probably would, but El will be pissed off and it is less glorious.

It can also screw up inheritance under limited circumstances.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer: How about : A small object, attuned to these people and their bloodlines, not us or our balls, which would protect them from the beasts of the wilds and demons and the giants looking for them if they decided to become nomads on their own. Placed on the ground it slowly rotates until it points at the nearest non-underground water source. We could then leave them to it and they could go off and found their own city somewhere else, or follow behind us more slowly on their own terms.

I kind of like this idea - this solves the issue of trying to save these people while not being hypocritical (made a sacrifice to El, take this banner/object with you where ever you may go and Els shall protect you), while also allowing us to cart off our loot.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I suspect El is mildly impressed with some of the creativity shown here, even when he refuses an answer

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Am I the only one who things shuffling them all off to Mt. Har is a good idea?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So this is sort of related to other posts and probably won't work, but the first time you guys sacced to El the area became more flowery and wholesome or whatever, and the second time it seemed to go hard El-style, with huge, beautiful, and terrifying birds and stuff. Would it be possible to triple-quadruple down on this and make a sanctuary place where these villagers would be kinda ok and safe to live long term, like a toehold for El outside of Ur? Not garden of eden, but a place where they could find refuge and survive as a people long term, even if life is still hard as gently caress out here.

Nettle Soup posted:

I guess we're going towards basically the same result but coming from different directions

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

It would not work on a sufficiently powerful "demon". Otherwise, this is viable. Depending on how powerful it is, it might attract attention.

Not a solution if you intend to tell the Gebebans to take it and run.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Outrail posted:

could be, but we're only sorta sure that's where they're ending up??

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Outrail posted:

No, it's deff. my second choice. And I could probably be talked into making it my first.

Ensuring their souls are safe is pretty boss, even if it would blow for their lives to end prematurely.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Diogines posted:

It would not work on a sufficiently powerful "demon". Otherwise, this is viable. Depending on how powerful it is, it might attract attention.

Not a solution if you intend to tell the Gebebans to take it and run.

So a potential sanctuary is possible? Would this be a ward or glamour?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

FoxTerrier posted:

No, it's deff. my second choice. And I could probably be talked into making it my first.

Ensuring their souls are safe is pretty boss, even if it would blow for their lives to end prematurely.

Yeah, I figure at this point we've already sent thousands and thousands of souls to Mt. Har, a few hundred more isn't a big deal, and given the other options just up and dying and going to hopefully paradise is better than dying in the desert or being food for demons. Plus, we deny the demons them and their potential future children. I see it as the least bad option, not the most good one. It's also pretty selfless because we lose the potential magical thing AND lose out on a bunch of glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I figure at this point we've already sent thousands and thousands of souls to Mt. Har, a few hundred more isn't a big deal, and given the other options just up and dying and going to hopefully paradise is better than dying in the desert or being food for demons. Plus, we deny the demons them and their potential future children. I see it as the least bad option, not the most good one. It's also pretty selfless because we lose the potential magical thing AND lose out on a bunch of glory.

Our culture does not give a poo poo about selflessness. You are expected to exaggerate and boast about your prowess regularly and wildly.