Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:siren: Link to Update :siren:

| Wiki | Judah Thread | Recap | BoneMonkeys Post-History | The Museum of Enkidel |

Come join us in IRC! #madgod on irc.synirc.net - The topic of the day is AAAAIJUSTWANNAGOHOOOME!!!!!!!
Mibbit IRC Link - Just click to join us!

--

Diogines posted:

It would not work on a sufficiently powerful "demon". Otherwise, this is viable. Depending on how powerful it is, it might attract attention.

Not a solution if you intend to tell the Gebebans to take it and run.

Ok yeah then, double down on it.

Make it a bigass fruit tree, it stays here in this clearing and is attuned to these people and their bloodlines. Could it make this place, just a couple of hours outside gianttown, safe for these people to live in long term? A fruit tree that shields these people, within a certain radius, from being found and I guess misdirects searchers away.

It's not really a valid idea, but interesting to think about.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I somehow left off the option to move just you and your Balls home.

You can do that.

You can bring as much Loot as you want.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
SD While I would prefer to make something useful long-term, especially that elixir of long life, I think we need to get the hell out of here and limit the number of votes and opportunities before we get home and so limit our chances of making stupid decisions. I want to get back to Zepath; so much poo poo is going to go down when we get there.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Whispers, if we remove their souls from their physical forms and contain them in a physical object, can a sufficently powerful being remake their phsycial forms and revive them on Ur soil?"

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
SE

For reasons previously explained in much greater detail, teleporting the children and the Balls is our most solid plan. I also feel it will gain us the most favor in our benefactor's eyes. Giving up things earned through great hardship. The divine know how much we want sweet loot, answers to questions, or materials to practice in our forge with. We choose instead to give up most of it to ensure our men and 180 innocent children make it home safely. If we were in trouble, we won't be after that. Maybe.

Asking the adults to commit suicide seems....distasteful, but it seems clear that if even one of them gets interrogated it will be Bad News with a capital B. I previously felt them being left to their own devices would be equal to leaving a physical trail if we put them in stasis - it seems interrogation would be much worse.

Maybe we just tell all the adults to look upon El before the sacrifice ends? That seems to have ended Yosef PDQ. Going out embraced by the loving gaze of El.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress it HD

From VD

I want loot that will kill demons good, this is a literal one time opportunity due to the preexisting mace we fashion it from.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo.

We're half melachim.

Melachim are the messengers of El. The voice guiding us? It isn't some melachim. Its the big boss. We're close enough to melachim that we can be radioed by EL HIMSELF.

Guys this is a pretty big deal.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

SerSpook posted:

I want loot that will kill demons good, this is a literal one time opportunity due to the preexisting mace we fashion it from.

Honestly, if we're going to make a weapon people should vote for making the mace into one instead of the 'spear, but sharper'. That seems like the stuff we can already get in Ur. I mean, the Shield Tudiya gave us was 'Shield, but harder', which while extremely powerful and useful lacks the coolness of 'God Club made from Ox-god's Vampiric Mace'.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

TheCog posted:

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo.

We're half melachim.

Melachim are the messengers of El. The voice guiding us? It isn't some melachim. Its the big boss. We're close enough to melachim that we can be radioed by EL HIMSELF.

I've been saying that since before we retconned or even before we died I think

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

TheCog posted:

So your saying that the widespread belief in Ur that to look upon the face of El or hear his Awesome voice would be to perish, does not apply to you because your not you know, mortal?

What an interesting idea!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

TheCog posted:

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo.

We're half melachim.

Enkidel is pretty cool

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1. You pick....

S H

Also, Why would anyone pick the club? We already have a nice one back home.

Hot Dog Day 80 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 2, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Diogines posted:

So your saying that the widespread belief in Ur that to look upon the face of El or hear his Awesome voice would be to perish, does not apply to you because your not you know, mortal?

What an interesting idea!

Keep on selling El-scam.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Further supporting we talk to El, we are being allowed to do things only Labaras did if we wish, such as introducing new ideas and technologies to Ur

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Olothreutes posted:

Our culture does not give a poo poo about selflessness. You are expected to exaggerate and boast about your prowess regularly and wildly.

No that kind of selfishness. Our culture does give a poo poo about giving things up for the benefit of other people, sacrifice and all that.

Sacrificing the potential for a kickass *thing* in exchange for painlessly sending a few hundred souls directly to heaven is a selfless thing that our culture can get behind. In a kind of messed up way but we're undoubtedly doing them a solid in comparison to most of the other options.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 2, 2016

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
No idea how to vote, but persuading them to suicide is out for me. Stasis is interesting just because of long term narrative and the legend of the frozen, lost people, etc... But I dunno. Already hopelessly lost in the first vote in the new world.

Diog, will the benefits of the Nth potion of longevity be passed on to future generations, progeny and such or does it only effect this generation of drinkers directly?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
If it didn't mean all these folks would be dead, Slaan's idea is super rad.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

No idea how to vote, but persuading them to suicide is out for me. Stasis is interesting just because of long term narrative and the legend of the frozen, lost people, etc... But I dunno. Already hopelessly lost in the first vote in the new world.

Diog, will the benefits of the Nth potion of longevity be passed on to future generations, progeny and such or does it only effect this generation of drinkers directly?

It will only effect them.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 2, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

It will only effect them.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 2, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Outrail posted:

Am I the only one who things shuffling them all off to Mt. Har is a good idea?

No, I'm strongly leaning in that direction too.

Remember, Mercy is never misplaced.

We can't save 100% of these people. Anybody we leave behind is almost guaranteed to have their essence consumed by a giant, there to suffer in torment forever. Worse, if we leave enough breeding stock they can just restart the farm.

If we 'save' the kids, they'll be orphaned foreigners in a xenophobic society. They'll have far more comfortable lives than they might otherwise have endured, but the cost is their parents die and potentially lead the Giants right to our doorstep before they do.

The lives of these people have been perverted and distorted by these monsters. The only way to absolutely save everyone is to direct their immortal souls to the Mountain. Their bodies will physically die but they die free, and they can enjoy paradise as was intended for them.

Voting Q AKA Plan Jonestown

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
1. R
It is to me, at this point the only real option. We cannot leave them, this is the only way to save them, the rest of what we take may be vital and is worth the risk with the laurels to cover our men.

(Provided some option of securing the souls of all might sway me, but I am uneasy about an Enkidel that would leave these children here to die)

2. D/J
Tell them their options. We will see their children home safe. They may flee if they wish, provide them food, perhaps even arms to see themselves safely through. If they die to the monsters fleeing, which is extremely likely, their soul may not be able to climb mt har. They will not accompany us.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Also, Why would anyone pick the club? We already have a nice one back home.

Because:

1.) gently caress bows

2.)

quote:

H. Transform Gebek's club into an truly awesome club you can use. For reasons you cannot understand, the club won't be (or can be made to not be?) immediately obvious to beings of tremendous power. It will be interesting and noticeable to beings of lesser but still terrifying power, yet... with it you may have a weapon to slay them. It won't offer much protection against them but it is a weapon capable of defeating creatures you once thought invincible.

Making a weapon as equally awesome as Gebek's club will draw greater attention and such attention will likely bring your doom. The club is either already... less noticeable somehow or because it already exists is easier to change? You don't truly understand why. Making a weapon capable of shooting lightning, hundreds of arrows, fireballs or the like will bring enough attention to likely bring your doom.

Because its our best way to make a tremendously powerful weapon that wouldn't be noticed by the powers that be. Since it's technically already made, we are just tailoring it it to not be a dick to us.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Can we make the club into a bow?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Honestly at this point I don't know poo poo about what happens to a soul when a person dies and hold literally no comfort about their respective fates nor our ability to direct that as a positive thing.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Diogines posted:

I somehow left off the option to move just you and your Balls home.

You can do that.

You can bring as much Loot as you want.

Not sure what letter this would be, but this and for two, just make an inspiring speech to the Gebenians that they can TOTALLY take on the giants and be a brave resistance force, as long as they believe in El.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think Q is the most noble option, or would be considered as such to Ur. I want us to be home, though.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

1. H. Let's get a sweet mace/club. I still don't know what to do with the people.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Diog

Would it be possible to transport the balls, us and the children? Bare minimum, just what we have on us, no loot whatsoever?

If that is possible I'd like to vote for that.
If not, have everyone killed, should our benefactor approve such a thing.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Wentley posted:

Can we make the club into a bow?
Yes.

You may as well just make a bow, you won't get any special benefit form using the club for that purpose.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Votecount is up to date

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Greggster posted:

Diog

Would it be possible to transport the balls, us and the children? Bare minimum, just what we have on us, no loot whatsoever?

If that is possible I'd like to vote for that.
If not, have everyone killed, should our benefactor approve such a thing.

Unless I am missing something, is this not S?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Actually how about this, does our benefactor have an opinion on how effective the teleport will be at preventing notice to Ur? Will the stealthiness of the teleport stem from it never being noticed at all, or from a certain to succeed misdirection? Likely to attract notice, most likely.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Diogenes can this be workable?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So this is sort of related to other posts and probably won't work, but the first time you guys sacced to El the area became more flowery and wholesome or whatever, and the second time it seemed to go hard El-style, with huge, beautiful, and terrifying birds and stuff. Would it be possible to triple-quadruple down on this and make a sanctuary place where these villagers would be kinda ok and safe to live long term, like a toehold for El outside of Ur? Not garden of eden, but a place where they could find refuge and survive as a people long term, even if life is still hard as gently caress out here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Trying to condense our options a bit:

We have three problems that we can solve using the process of elimination.

1) We have a bunch of people that if we just leave will almost certainly die and we do have some responsibility towards them, seeing as we got them into this new predicament.

2) If the Giants find out who did this Ur is quite possibly hosed as the giant civ could quite possibly wipe the floor with Ur. If any of the Gebekians are left behind they'll talk about us.

We need to make sure no giant ever finds any of the Gebekians, I think everyone agrees on that.

3) We have a magic *thing*that we can use to help the Gebekians or help ourselves.

Two items we can be fairly certain about :
A) None of the magic *thing* options will give us something cool AND help all the Gebekians (unless you think a magic sword will allow us to get all the way home and we know how the trail of tears option works out).
B) Without using the magic *thing* we can't solve problems 1 and 2, unless we straight up murder most/all of the Gebekians and maybe take a handful of the strongest with us. (I don't think anyone wants to do this)

So based on the above three problems and two items we need to use the magic *thing* to solve the problem of getting rid of all the Gebekians,(any that aren't solved by the *thing* need to disappear with us or die).

So the question is really 'How do we use the *thing* to remove all the Gebekians?'. Personally I think burying them all still has a chance of detection and is kinda poo poo because if we die again they'll be stuck there forever. We can't take all of them with us. I think we have the opportunity to send them to what we to the best of our knowledge think is paradise, or at least is most likely better than demon torment. After that we have the option to loot the giant village and likely get a bunch of interesting tech and all the riches we can carry before making the relatively easy trek home.

We can't have our cake and eat it too. This is exactly what got us killed last time. The lessons we should have learnt were'We need to learn to make sacrifices. We need to learn to make the hard decisions, even if we don;t like it. We can't have everything our own way, making the best of a bad situation is best we can do. Making a mad situation perfect isn't something we can do. Sometimes you can't save everyone.'.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

vorebane posted:

Actually how about this, does our benefactor have an opinion on how effective the teleport will be at preventing notice to Ur? Will the stealthiness of the teleport stem from it never being noticed at all, or from a certain to succeed misdirection? Likely to attract notice, most likely.
Silence.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So this is sort of related to other posts and probably won't work, but the first time you guys sacced to El the area became more flowery and wholesome or whatever, and the second time it seemed to go hard El-style, with huge, beautiful, and terrifying birds and stuff. Would it be possible to triple-quadruple down on this and make a sanctuary place where these villagers would be kinda ok and safe to live long term, like a toehold for El outside of Ur? Not garden of eden, but a place where they could find refuge and survive as a people long term, even if life is still hard as gently caress out here.
Do you think 500 people are going to live in a small stretch of the forest?

You can increase whatever has happened around the altar. It won't offer substantive or long term protection, if it even is offering any now.

You could make an area to ward off monsters and lesser "demons".

You are not all that from the Amalakite settlement. If and when they return...

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

FaustianQ posted:

So if the process can be replicated (IF) then it's possible to say take over a border town here and there, breed a cult and mythos of El amongst the giants, and sow disruption within the empire? I think the biggest question is: can the giants be saved and brought into the glorious embrace of El? Am I reading it correctly that the giants are not soley composed of what I assume are human souls sacrificed to animate the constructs? That they have an existence separate from needing human souls to function, as potentially evidenced by the ones (I guess spiritual manifestation?) detained and screaming as we plot on what to do with them?

The point is to turn them away from the false practices and subservience to demons and to the worship of El. Releasing their victims could potentially be a part of this, but I'm not particularly troubled by the idea that the enemies of El fighting amongst each other, and don't see it on the same level as consumption of humans and the rites necessary to bring giants into existence.

They are mud golems with human souls powering them, they were made in a most blasphemous way, we already tried bringing Goliath to the flock and white eagle killed it, they aren't something to be used because you're using damned souls that live in a glass orb in perpetuity, El wouldn't sign off on that.
Hey blood magic is repulsive and only done by the most vile creatures/demons.

Ya ya right, but what if they work for US.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Y'know what I reread all the options and I'm changing my vote from R to Q, send away all of the living Gebebians. Do them all a kindness, no loose ends to worry about and we can make our return trip relatively safely with a good haul.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

SKY COQ posted:

No, I'm strongly leaning in that direction too.

Remember, Mercy is never misplaced.

We can't save 100% of these people. Anybody we leave behind is almost guaranteed to have their essence consumed by a giant, there to suffer in torment forever. Worse, if we leave enough breeding stock they can just restart the farm.

If we 'save' the kids, they'll be orphaned foreigners in a xenophobic society. They'll have far more comfortable lives than they might otherwise have endured, but the cost is their parents die and potentially lead the Giants right to our doorstep before they do.

The lives of these people have been perverted and distorted by these monsters. The only way to absolutely save everyone is to direct their immortal souls to the Mountain. Their bodies will physically die but they die free, and they can enjoy paradise as was intended for them.

Voting Q AKA Plan Jonestown

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking too.

Q

edit:

Outrail posted:

We can't have our cake and eat it too. This is exactly what got us killed last time. The lessons we should have learnt were'We need to learn to make sacrifices. We need to learn to make the hard decisions, even if we don;t like it. We can't have everything our own way, making the best of a bad situation is best we can do. Making a mad situation perfect isn't something we can do. Sometimes you can't save everyone.'.

Yep. This is a vote where every vote is a wrong vote. However, some votes are definitely wronger than others

Rahul fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Q has some feel good vibes, but if we are going to hike all the way back to Kavodel I think we should get some sweet loot or knowledge instead of sending some chumps to the demon on top of Mt. Har.