Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your anecdotes don't disprove things. A university education absolutely helps with those things.

Also it's continually throwing me off that you guys call it college. "College" here is usually a 2 year university transfer program for those who couldn't get into university or for those who want to do a faster less academic program (like a 2 year criminology program is common here). University is the term that applies to our 4 year public institutions for a bachelors, masters, or PhD.
A "Well-Rounded" individual exists in people that have a variety of interests - college/university attendee or not. You do not make a "Well-Rounded" individual by making them take a course they aren't interested in. Just saying "Well, he came out of college/university with a degree and that means he's well-rounded" will bite you more often than not.

I believe, based on the research I've read, that cause and effect are confounding in the papers that promote the marketing points for college/university attendance.

Inspector_666 posted:

History, and I got around it by taking a class that I think was literally called "Math for Humanities" and then a comp sci class that I got a D in. I did try taking Calc before that and lol.

However, can I ask how you got around the humanities requirements for your STEM degree? I think it's funny that engineers always poo poo on having to take humanities classes but as soon as one of us dumb humanities kids says math is stupid it's suddenly "WHOA NOW WAIT A MINUTE!"

I think your major should reflect the level of math you'll need - Psychology, History, or basket weaving. I don't have any problem with a concept like "Math for Humanities" classes as it, ostensibly, teaches you the math you'd actually need. Although, I've heard from Humanities majoring people that they think it should be Algebra 101 and 102, so YMMV.

I didn't get around anything, requirement-wise.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, so you can have a college which we call university, and you can have a college within a university? :psyduck:

In American English, college is both what you would call a university as well as a professional organization. So a "College" is where you go to learn, and a "College of Business" is where a bunch of Business (and related) people would be.

So you can have Jimmy's University College of Business without being redundant.

Arsten fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Virigoth posted:

Big Ten state university. Holla if ya hear me!

Cross Northwestern off the list!

I agree that a well rounded education is more beneficial than a straight technical degree. Contrary to what you may think while in school, communication and english/writing classes are just as important as your STEM classes. When someone knows how to effectively make a presentation with a good accompanying slide deck, it sticks out like a sore thumb because it is NOT the norm, especially in IT. Being able write and communicate with non-technical people is essential at all levels of IT and is commonly a reason a candidate does not get a job in my experience. I don't care if you God's gift to technology, if you can't communicate with others, I won't even consider you for the position.

Of course my bias comes from two Big 10 degrees where others derive from little to no post secondary education. There is no one answer to what is required to work in our profession, but having a college degree at some level is typically better than not having one in most cases. But I certainly agree that finishing a college degree speaks to a candidate's willingness to endure a long and frustrating endeavor.

Story time: I once ended an interview with a candidate for Help Desk that was going through my undergraduate program at a satellite campus because I asked her about senior design, and she said 'it's too hard and I am switching majors'. Guess what, that is the wrong thing to say to an alum because the interview was over right then and there. If you can't stick through the capstone of a major, why should I even consider you for a job where you will face problems on a daily basis that may be 'hard' too?

I am a bit late to Degree Chat, but:

B.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology - Purdue University
M.S. Communication - Northwestern University

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My moms favorite phrase to me when I complained about something being hard was "You can do hard things" and that was that.

Thanks mom for ingraining that one into my mind forever

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think being able to finish a 4 year degree is a good indicator of being able to deal with corporate bullshit in the business world.

Did I really want to take such fun courses as Contemporary Cinema, Multicultural Autobiographies, or Principles of Social Anthropology? Not really, but in retrospect I'm better off as a person from taking them. The writing courses are also very important, being able to effectively communicate in business is an important skill.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

A "Well-Rounded" individual exists in people that have a variety of interests - college/university attendee or not. You do not make a "Well-Rounded" individual by making them take a course they aren't interested in. Just saying "Well, he came out of college/university with a degree and that means he's well-rounded" will bite you more often than not
[quote]

We weren't talking about "well-rounded", the comments were other items. Read back to what I quoted.

[quote="Arsten" post="462763463"]
In American English, college is both what you would call a university as well as a professional organization. So a "College" is where you go to learn, and a "College of Business" is where a bunch of Business (and related) people would be.

So you can have Jimmy's University College of Business without being redundant.

Here, a "university college" is a 2 year transfer program school for weaker applicants that has been accredited as a public degree granting institution. Very different worlds I guess.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

State universities tend to have a big reputation difference between departments, too. The one I went to is known for an excellent engineering department, and the one I hope to go to within a few years has a pretty well regarded computer science department. Other departments at the same school might be considered crap.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the reasons I chose History was the lightweight math requirement. I took a sociology stats class that was piss easy, even for me. DONE.

But don't tell me it didn't pay off. This morning I had to change a toner cartridge. Do you think I could've done that without my degree?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

22 Eargesplitten posted:

State universities tend to have a big reputation difference between departments, too. The one I went to is known for an excellent engineering department, and the one I hope to go to within a few years has a pretty well regarded computer science department. Other departments at the same school might be considered crap.

This. If you are serious about getting the most out of a degree, picking a school with a well regarded department is important. My undergrad is a top 5 program and my graduate program is a top 10. Does that really matter to most people? Not really, but it does help build your network because other top people go to those programs. I have gotten interviews solely based on where I went to school.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arsten posted:

I believe, based on the research I've read, that cause and effect are confounding in the papers that promote the marketing points for college/university attendance.

If you'd gone to college you'd know how to cite that evidence.

My degree is a STEM degree, and I enjoyed most of the humanities stuff, but I'm a history nerd. English Lit. can gently caress right off, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arsten posted:

Depends on what your degree is in and what math they made you take. Did you get a degree in Psychology and have to take a discrete mathematics class?

I majored in Spanish and the lowest level math my university offered was calculus and discrete math. I had to take both of them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mayodreams posted:

This. If you are serious about getting the most out of a degree, picking a school with a well regarded department is important. My undergrad is a top 5 program and my graduate program is a top 10. Does that really matter to most people? Not really, but it does help build your network because other top people go to those programs. I have gotten interviews solely based on where I went to school.

The one I want to go to is 23 according to Google, but it's the highest ranking university in my state.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I was looking to fill hours my last semester; I ended up taking Fundamentals of Camping, where we learned how to set up a tent and build a fire. No survival skills or anything, it was pretty basic. The final was literally, Go Camping.

I also took a physical education class called "Wii Sports". It's exactly what you're thinking, and it was great!

I'm of the opinion that humanities and others out-of-discipline classes are a good thing and help people become more adjusted to society. Also, you'd be surprised the amount of university students who can't form full sentences with proper grammar.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

We weren't talking about "well-rounded", the comments were other items. Read back to what I quoted.
"Well-Rounded" was intended as short hand. But, to name it specifically, college/university graduation doesn't prove that you learned something new, and it doesn't prove critical thinking skills.

Maybe you have a different vantage point from what your universities require, but the requirements of completion in US schools range between "He paid" and "He came out tortured with the knowledge of 1,000 men." The worst part is, that you can get this within the same institution. It's not like you can just dismiss everyone from Jimmy's State University because you know that they give a degree to everyone that pays. Unfortunately, you will find Einsteins mixed with people who ate lead paint from most schools.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here, a "university college" is a 2 year transfer program school for weaker applicants that has been accredited as a public degree granting institution. Very different worlds I guess.

Ya'll just need to get out there and socialize more! :v:

skipdogg posted:

I think being able to finish a 4 year degree is a good indicator of being able to deal with corporate bullshit in the business world.

Did I really want to take such fun courses as Contemporary Cinema, Multicultural Autobiographies, or Principles of Social Anthropology? Not really, but in retrospect I'm better off as a person from taking them.

I'm not asking this to be facetious and I want to actually gain insight: how did those courses make you better as a person?

skipdogg posted:

The writing courses are also very important, being able to effectively communicate in business is an important skill.
For me, there is a differentiation between "writing/communicating" and things like "Contemporary Cinema". Writing and Communicating is a skill, just like math, that many degree fields can benefit from. Knowing what cinema is out now and discussing it is not a skill unless your career goal is Barista. (If it is, more power to you.)

I filled up most of my self-designed credits with skill courses. I took things like CPR, people management, and machining - skills that I felt would advance me in life or at least be useful skills to have some knowledge of. (I admit that machining might die in the next 20 years because of 3D printing slowly getting into metals. But at least for the next 24 years I can still hew my own widgets! :v: ) I have no problem with people who are interested in history taking those kinds of courses, I just object to the mandated requirement for degree fields it doesn't make a lot of sense in.

Colonial Air Force posted:

If you'd gone to college you'd know how to cite that evidence.
In casual conversation, I don't really bust out studies' citations - especially when I'm summing my knowledge into a single sentence. If I'm putting together a research document, I'll do it correctly.

My degree is a STEM degree, and I enjoyed most of the humanities stuff, but I'm a history nerd. English Lit. can gently caress right off, though.
That's actually my point. If you like history, you'll dig history and find out cool things that you might not have found on your own. If you hate Shakespeare, reading him for credit won't make you love him and it certainly won't make you take away anything from the reading.

psydude posted:

I majored in Spanish and the lowest level math my university offered was calculus and discrete math. I had to take both of them.
That's really....Really? That's pretty much just torture at that point.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arsten posted:

In casual conversation, I don't really bust out studies' citations - especially when I'm summing my knowledge into a single sentence. If I'm putting together a research document, I'll do it correctly.

You keep talking about all this research you've read but obviously none of us agree with you. At the very least, a few links would help make your point.

quote:

That's actually my point. If you like history, you'll dig history and find out cool things that you might not have found on your own. If you hate Shakespeare, reading him for credit won't make you love him and it certainly won't make you take away anything from the reading.

The actual Shakespeare, perhaps not, but the ability to compare, contrast, and think critically about what I read? Absolutely!

And as far as that goes, I actually retained quite a bit about what I've read, which helps me make analogies and play Jeopardy! at home.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Arsten posted:

"Having an interest" is the same reason why I can quote arcane lore about the TES series years after I played the last installment, yet can't remember what ISA stands for. I can still stuff male into female in the very few instances I come across it, but everything but the initialism is gone because I have no interest in late 80s technology. :v:

This presumes that all attitudes are pre-formed and that exposure to a subject cannot change those attitudes, which seems incredibly cynical and also not true.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 2, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arsten posted:

That's really....Really? That's pretty much just torture at that point.

Meh. Precalculus or equivalent was a matriculation requirement for everyone and I already took AP calc in highschool.

I also took the real chemistry course even though there was a "fun" one available for non-science majors because I'm a masochist.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm pretty clear on what a college is, and what a University is.

But what is University of Maryland College University?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Whatever that's in reference to it's probably supposed to say College Park

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

UMUC is a school spun off of University of Maryland that panders to the military. They start classes every 6 weeks or so instead of having typical semesters. It's one of the more reputable online schools recommended to military people. (Which says a lot about the other schools)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

You keep talking about all this research you've read but obviously none of us agree with you. At the very least, a few links would help make your point.
I mentioned one study that stood out in my memory and then commented on what I've gleaned from reading journals over a couple decades. You should have noticed that I remarked that the research agrees with you, too and I happen to disagree with what I have read based on concerns I'd had with confounding factors.

At this point the "it gives you critical thinking/make you well-rounded" is a bit of culturally assumed knowledge. Take this:

The actual Shakespeare, perhaps not, but the ability to compare, contrast, and think critically about what I read? Absolutely!
English lit is what taught you to think critically and compare and contrast what you read? You didn't have this skill set until college and English Lit? I find that hard to believe. Just to be unequivocal: I have zero doubts you used that skill set in English Lit, but I think that English Lit wasn't the place you picked it up.

NippleFloss posted:

This presumes that all attitudes are pre-formed and that exposure to a subject cannot change those attitudes, which seems incredibly cynical and also not true.

Attitudes are generally preformed, though they can change. But forcing them to endure something they have little or no interest in is about the worst way to introduce something to someone. It's about as useful as strapping every voter in the US down and showing them two days of political ads about the party they don't affiliate with and expecting everyone to change their minds about their political beliefs. It can, and does, happen - but it's not really how it goes for most people.

psydude posted:

I also took the real chemistry course even though there was a "fun" one available for non-science majors because I'm a masochist.
All chemistry courses are fun. :colbert:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Arsten posted:

Attitudes are generally preformed, though they can change. But forcing them to endure something they have little or no interest in is about the worst way to introduce something to someone. It's about as useful as strapping every voter in the US down and showing them two days of political ads about the party they don't affiliate with and expecting everyone to change their minds about their political beliefs. It can, and does, happen - but it's not really how it goes for most people.

Interesting political hypothetical, since the major driver in the rapidly changing attitudes about gay marriage and LGBTQ rights generally in the US has been simple exposure. More people know somehow who is out and that interaction and experience softens their attitudes and makes them reconsider their biases.

Plenty of people have had the experience of taking a college course that they weren't particularly excited about and finding that it's actually much more interesting than they expected. Many even change majors and career focus because of this!

We aren't born with an ingrained set of things we are interested in. Those interests are developed by experience and experience can change them. You have a wide enough range of potential elective courses to take in an American University that you should be able to find *something* that you don't immediately hate on principal.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

Interesting political hypothetical, since the major driver in the rapidly changing attitudes about gay marriage and LGBTQ rights generally in the US has been simple exposure. More people know somehow who is out and that interaction and experience softens their attitudes and makes them reconsider their biases.
I've considered the rising momentum towards equality is because more and more of the younger generation(s) are entering the voting public. There was a break down of "Gayz Bad" by age during the 2012 election one one of the news sites, and the younger the age the more accepting of non-hetero marriage as well as LBGTQ in general. It's possible that the root of this is that more of the younger generations are seeing LGBTQs more often. It's also possible that the younger generations are simply more permissive than their older peers, which isn't uncommon.

NippleFloss posted:

Plenty of people have had the experience of taking a college course that they weren't particularly excited about and finding that it's actually much more interesting than they expected. Many even change majors and career focus because of this!

We aren't born with an ingrained set of things we are interested in. Those interests are developed by experience and experience can change them. You have a wide enough range of potential elective courses to take in an American University that you should be able to find *something* that you don't immediately hate on principal.
If electives were elective, I'd agree. But plenty of people are put off by being forced to take a course, as well. When they are mandated to take a humanities class as a part of their electives, they grunt, bear it, get their D/C/B and move on with life and never think twice. We are already expecting 18 year olds to be mature enough to take on $100,000 in educational debt they'll never see the end of, why can't we trust them to pick electives that are appropriate to them? :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arsten posted:

A "Well-Rounded" individual exists in people that have a variety of interests - college/university attendee or not. You do not make a "Well-Rounded" individual by making them take a course they aren't interested in. Just saying "Well, he came out of college/university with a degree and that means he's well-rounded" will bite you more often than not.

Generally it's more "Well, he came out of college/university with an applicable degree and that means probably not a total retard and can probably stick with something, learn about stuff, and do work up to and including the terrible boring busywork that is part of almost any job."

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I unironically liked my math class. Learning Euler's identity was awesome. Same with how a lot of the math that describes mechanical motion also works for electricity.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Methanar posted:

I unironically liked my math class. Learning Euler's identity was awesome. Same with how a lot of the math that describes mechanical motion also works for electricity.

Math classes were fun, I was required to take up to Calc 3 for CS major (did not finish, but I did pass all the maths). I had friends that did mech eng and they had some insane math classes that looked fun, differential equations was one and there were 1-3 others if I recall, but can't remember the names.

Numbers are kind of my jam tho.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Methanar posted:

Learning Euler's identity was awesome.

Yeah I thought they were going to leave that for Season 2. The suspense was incredible.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah I thought they were going to leave that for Season 2. The suspense was incredible.

Season two was all about Euler eating pie and getting really really big. It just wasn't the same.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I had to do up to 4th year calculus for signal analysis courses and I loving loved it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Math is very cool and good, particularly abstract algebra and topology.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
In support of college (or university if you prefer), I have an employee who historically had very poor written communication skills. Misused or missing punctuation, bad spelling and grammar, run on sentences, etc.. He went back to school because he regretted never getting his degree and I have seen a marked improvement in his written communication.

On the other hand, I know plenty of people who don't have degrees and already have great communication skills. Maybe, just maybe, college (or university if you prefer) is good for some people and not others. Crazy idea, I know.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I remember an officer when I was in ROTC in college saying to some of the kids who were failing that maybe college just wasn't for them and they should quit. Talk about motivating to prove him wrong.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have any IT related audiobooks that they would recommend? I need some stuff to listen to on my way to Portland. Anything related to VMware, general IT and employee management stuff, business intelligence & data visualization, automation, etc.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone have any IT related audiobooks that they would recommend? I need some stuff to listen to on my way to Portland. Anything related to VMware, general IT and employee management stuff, business intelligence & data visualization, automation, etc.

Good to Great is a good read about business management coupled with change.

Crucial Conversations is also good if you need help with communicating.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Something to consider - videos can be audiobooks too. I ripped all of my CBT Nuggets content to mp3 - 99% of that doesn't need the visual, so you're 99% of the way there just by listening. You could do the same with freely available conference videos like VMworld or Microsoft Ignite.

Here's a fully legitimate playlist of VMworld 2015 sessions. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlCmVOq6yt484cUB6N4LhXZnOso5VC7 then just download in mp3 form with your browser and plugin of choice.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 3, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

adorai posted:

Maybe, just maybe, college (or university if you prefer) is good for some people and not others. Crazy idea, I know.

Sure this is true, but in the current economy I think it's a serious disservice to tell anyone trying to land their first real job that a degree doesn't matter, unless they are coming out of the military and received job training.

I also think college is a great formative time for a lot of people, but it's so expensive it's hard to recommend it purely for that reason.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Sure this is true, but in the current economy I think it's a serious disservice to tell anyone trying to land their first real job that a degree doesn't matter, unless they are coming out of the military and received job training.

I also think college is a great formative time for a lot of people, but it's so expensive it's hard to recommend it purely for that reason.
I'm not going to say it doesn't matter for landing a job. I'm merely saying that it's value from a personal development standpoint can vary from person to person.

Too many people have bought into the idea that if you go to college you will get a good job. It's not that simple and the debt accrued in the endeavor can be crippling.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I really don't like that post, because when you say "the debt accrued in the endeavor can be crippling" is a manner of saying that you shouldn't go, or that the decision is close. You're referring to the outliers. You absolutely should buy into the idea that if you go to college you'll get a good job. You'll get a job which, according to US News & World Report, will earn almost a million dollars more over your lifetime than someone who just graduated college. So when you talk about the cautionary tale of crippling debt, it's like saying it's a 50/50 choice and you need to be careful because you could go bankrupt. You could do a lot of things, but if you have the opportunity, college is a no brainer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The college discussion is cool and all but personally, I'm finding Four Roses bourbon to be quite nice.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I literally only got my awesome job because of college but lots of my classmates also got lovely loving poo poo (because of their low GPAs) and there are probably lots of people who do well who also get poo poo so well,,,chaos reigns i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vulture Culture posted:

The college discussion is cool and all but personally, I'm finding Four Roses bourbon to be quite nice.
Just tonight on Twitch, user A asked user B why he wasn't around earlier for a particular event. The reply came "much whiskey".

I like that answer. Much whiskey.