Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol this really is the perfect obnoxious laugh smilie, gj

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

monkeu posted:

This is from almost 80 years ago just like I said, so yep, you're an idiot. I'm glad all you "Batman fans" in here defending this terrible movie seem to be getting your evidence from Cracked articles you've googled.

These are both from The Dark Knight Returns, a comic which I specifically used in the post you quoted as an example of a comic that isn't in the official continuity and one which is a prime example of a "What If?" story. The intelligence level in here continues to truly astound me :laugh:

Explain why you thought Superman in BvS is edgy or gently caress off.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Grendels Dad posted:

Explain why you thought Superman in BvS is edgy or gently caress off.

Superman treated poor people like human beings. That's pretty edgy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

monkeu posted:

This is from almost 80 years ago just like I said, so yep, you're an idiot. I'm glad all you "Batman fans" in here defending this terrible movie seem to be getting your evidence from Cracked articles you've googled.
This is what you said:

monkeu posted:

Ah yes, some stuff from about 70 or 80 years ago before they had introduced the death of his parents
And it is wrong, wrong, wrong. You'd know that if you read the comics, instead of cracking Google articles like an idiot.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Halloween Jack posted:

This is what you said:

And it is wrong, wrong, wrong. You'd know that if you read the comics, instead of cracking Google articles like an idiot.

Hahahahahah you're so pathetically desperate to be right when you know that you're wrong that you're nitpicking to the extreme. Sorry, it's actually from about 6 months after they introduced the death of his parents, but quite obviously from 70 or 80 years ago when they were still establishing the character.

Find me a wealth of examples from within continuity from the last half century. Quick! I think there's some more "batman killing" articles you can frantically Google! Strangely enough people publish articles like that, because the entire basis of the character is that he doesn't use guns and he doesn't kill :laugh:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

monkeu posted:

Hahahahahah you're so pathetically desperate to be right when you know that you're wrong that you're nitpicking to the extreme. Sorry, it's actually from about 6 months after they introduced the death of his parents, but quite obviously from 70 or 80 years ago when they were still establishing the character.

Find me a wealth of examples from within continuity from the last half century. Quick! I think there's some more "batman killing" articles you can frantically Google! Strangely enough people publish articles like that, because the entire basis of the character is that he doesn't use guns and he doesn't kill :laugh:

chill

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

monkeu posted:

These are both from The Dark Knight Returns, a comic which I specifically used in the post you quoted as an example of a comic that isn't in the official continuity and one which is a prime example of a "What If?" story. The intelligence level in here continues to truly astound me :laugh:

Did you fail to notice how much of TDKR was lifted for BvS? It actually has dialogue straight from the comic in the movie

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Going from memory, I believe the origin story was introduced in Detective Comics #36 in 1939 and the second Hugo Strange story, with death by Bat-machinegun and Bat-hanging, was from Batman #1 in 1940. If you want more examples, you're going to have to do what you fear most: read and actually engage with artistic texts. I'm not your secretary.

monkeu posted:

the entire basis of the character is that he doesn't use guns and he doesn't kill
This is why you need to read. You think that "not doing a thing" can be the "entire basis" for a character. So Batman is functionally the same character as the cast of Archie Comics, who are all functionally the same character.

Reading is fun, man. Trust me. The thoughts only hurt at first, or so I'm told.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

monkeu posted:

Hey

So why is Superman edgy?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

monkeu posted:

I know I'm replying to a troll, but just in case someone actually buys into this, I want to mention something obvious:

If not killing is the "entire basis of the character" than they wouldn't even bother to have him kill in Elseworlds because it would render the character effectively unrecognizable. It would be like doing an Elseworld where The Flash wasn't fast (or didn't reference speed in some way*), or Aquaman had nothing to do with water, etc.

Also I am pretty sure the movies are not in continuity so I am not sure why they are being held to that standard. The guy who said the movie was a "What if?" earlier had it right. Batman have killed and used guns over the past few decades and people have still recognized him as Batman, that is not the core aspect of his character.

*I'm specifically thinking of some wild west elseworld where Flash was still a quick draw guy or something

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like the impression that dude gave that the real thing that's missing from 'non-continuity' films is just calling it What If...? Batman Fought Superman!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

monkeu posted:

All Batman stories are "what if stories."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Guy A. Person posted:

Also I am pretty sure the movies are not in continuity so I am not sure why they are being held to that standard. The guy who said the movie was a "What if?" earlier had it right. Batman have killed and used guns over the past few decades and people have still recognized him as Batman, that is not the core aspect of his character.
That was monkeu himself, I believe. But he doesn't seem to grasp that the entrancing thing about What If?... at its best was that it allowed for stories that both understand the character and don't have to fit into a marketable long-term continuity.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

monkeu posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Another casualty of the BvS thread :(

http://i.imgur.com/6U2wzEW.gifv

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Rubber tires. Honest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I love how it captures the texture of the boot with that red lighting. Got almost a Schumacher Batman feel to it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Another casualty of the BvS thread :(

He'll be back. :laugh:

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

Halloween Jack posted:

Going from memory, I believe the origin story was introduced in Detective Comics #36 in 1939 and the second Hugo Strange story, with death by Bat-machinegun and Bat-hanging, was from Batman #1 in 1940. If you want more examples, you're going to have to do what you fear most: read and actually engage with artistic texts. I'm not your secretary.

This is why you need to read. You think that "not doing a thing" can be the "entire basis" for a character. So Batman is functionally the same character as the cast of Archie Comics, who are all functionally the same character.

I really enjoy how effortlessly pretentious this post is about trivia from a comic book released 76 years ago

Fuckman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 4, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It takes very little effort to pull my copy of Batman Archive Editions Vol. 1 from the shelf to fact-check. Are you sure you know what the word "pretentious" means?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Fuckman posted:

I really enjoy how effortlessly pretentious this post is about trivia from a comic book released 76 years ago

Stay in your thread Tezzor

Fuckman
Jul 30, 2016

by Cowcaster

Halloween Jack posted:

It takes very little effort to pull my copy of Batman Archive Editions Vol. 1 from the shelf to fact-check. Are you sure you know what the word "pretentious" means?

Holy poo poo you sound like the biggest wiener in the world

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Fuckman posted:

Holy poo poo you sound like the biggest wiener in the world

Says the Tezzor rereg.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Halloween Jack posted:

Rubber tires. Honest.

This is the best version of that gag yet, and y'all are punks for not giving Halloween Jack props.

You've been properly propped, Halloween Jack.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Hot dog! Thank you.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
It is a good 'un.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
One thing I like about this is the way the terrifying cosmic horror is depicted at the end simply with an upturned painting and violins.

In Avengers 2 the cosmic horror is a big blue dude putting on a glove saying 'Fine, I'll do it myself.'

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, look at a basic scene like Senator Finch visiting Lex in his father's den, for an example of fans' difficulty reading such as performances.

Eisenberg as Lex pretty much states outright that he thinks trying desperately to keep things the same is unhealthy. It's silly, magical thinking, because you can't bring your parents back.

That's all superficially sensible but, after Eisenberg drops that line, his entire face twitches and then goes blank. The point of this twitch, this blank-faced expression, is to signal that Lex has not given up the goal of resurrecting his father. He actually believes he can bring his father back if he changes everything.

The question is of course why Lex would want to bring back his abusive father, and that comes when he mocks Finch - play-acting as her, tapping the table annoyingly. When Finch grabs his hand, it's a gesture that's both violent and intimate. Not only does Lex want to be smacked, he sees this gesture as Finch's invitation to be smacked in return. Hence Doomsday.

On top of this, the scene immediately preceding this debate over 'a weapon of assassination' is Lois leaving for Washington to investigate the high-tech 'silver bullet' she found. We pretty much cut directly from Lois leaving Metropolis to Finch arriving at Lex's house. So the mysterious metal in the bullet and wheelchair is, metaphorically, kryptonite - and vice-versa.

I felt this was almost too blatant, but plenty of people nonetheless complained that Lex was 'random' and had no plan.

so he wants to bring his father back so he can get revenge on him?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Hot dog! Thank you.

Handily defeated a troll and pulled off a good version of a well known gag

This is a banner day for you Jack, live it up

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

He wants to bring his father back so that he can destroy the world and show everyone how terrible he is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm surprised of the many BvS things I can find online I still have yet to find a poster of Lex's painting. I guess it's too hard to replicate without an official source.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Quite the opposite. He wants to feel loved, the only way he knows how.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rubber tires gave me a hearty chuckle.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Halloween Jack posted:

Hahahah you're very lucky that there's apparently a moderator in here that loves terrible movies and appreciates pure idiocy or I would have responded to this dismal attempt at a troll 6 hours ago. Bravo at continuing to prove that your only knowledge of Batman comics is stuff that you can get to with one or two quick google searches.

Your ineffectual attempts to deflect attention from the fact that you're wrong by nitpicking my choice of words is simultaneously hilarious and pathetic. Here's some major events from the past few decades. I'd love to hear your explanation on how your theory that "Batman isn't against killing or guns" fits in with them.

• Explain to me how that fits in with Bruce having to take a very important job away from JPV.

• Explain to me how that fits in with the significance of the pivotal moment after a major natural disaster.

• How does it explain Batman's reaction to what happened with Jason, Barbara and Damian?

• How does his apparent willingness to kill and use guns possibly fit in with Morrison's celebrated run?

• How does it explain the massive significance of his choice to defeat Darkseid?

That's just a few questions that you'd easily be able to answer if you were right (you're not) and if you knew much about the character outside of terrible movies and what you frantically Google (you don't).

Hahah so start desperately googling I guess. I purposely made a couple of them a little ambiguous for you. Can Punishbat's faithful sidekick GoogleGeek rise to the challenge?! All signs point to no :laugh:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

monkeu posted:

Hahahah you're very lucky that there's apparently a moderator in here that loves terrible movies and appreciates pure idiocy or I would have responded to this dismal attempt at a troll 6 hours ago. Bravo at continuing to prove that your only knowledge of Batman comics is stuff that you can get to with one or two quick google searches.

Your ineffectual attempts to deflect attention from the fact that you're wrong by nitpicking my choice of words is simultaneously hilarious and pathetic. Here's some major events from the past few decades. I'd love to hear your explanation on how your theory that "Batman isn't against killing or guns" fits in with them.

• Explain to me how that fits in with Bruce having to take a very important job away from JPV.

• Explain to me how that fits in with the significance of the pivotal moment after a major natural disaster.

• How does it explain Batman's reaction to what happened with Jason, Barbara and Damian?

• How does his apparent willingness to kill and use guns possibly fit in with Morrison's celebrated run?

• How does it explain the massive significance of his choice to defeat Darkseid?

That's just a few questions that you'd easily be able to answer if you were right (you're not) and if you knew much about the character outside of terrible movies and what you frantically Google (you don't).

Hahah so start desperately googling I guess. I purposely made a couple of them a little ambiguous for you. Can Punishbat's faithful sidekick GoogleGeek rise to the challenge?! All signs point to no :laugh:

Stay mad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Monkeu hasn't changed since the halo threads back in YCS

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To answer monkeu's questions using his own, distorted logic, that version of Batman hasn't been cannon for six years so his opinions on Batfleck wouldn't even change if he was directly modeled after 90s Batman/Morrison's run.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Detective No. 27 posted:

To answer monkeu's questions using his own, distorted logic, that version of Batman hasn't been cannon for six years so his opinions on Batfleck wouldn't even change if he was directly modeled after 90s Batman/Morrison's run.

Hahahahah I love it, more proof that people defending this trash don't know what they're talking about. The New 52 finished months ago, and Rebirth has merged it with the old continuity. Check the numbering in Action Comics and Detective Comics.

Even if you do want to argue that the New 52 is all that counts now, show me some examples of Batman murdering and using guns from the New 52. Start googling. There aren't any, as an actual Batman fan I've read it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

monkeu posted:

Hahahahah I love it, more proof that people defending this trash don't know what they're talking about. The New 52 finished months ago, and Rebirth has merged it with the old continuity. Check the numbering in Action Comics and Detective Comics.

Even if you do want to argue that the New 52 is all that counts now, show me some examples of Batman murdering and using guns from the New 52. Start googling. There aren't any, as an actual Batman fan I've read it all.

What did you think of the Burton or Bale Batmans?

And why is Superman edgy

• Locked thread