Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i kinda want some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
JUST THE TIP

no seriously though what the gently caress is that for. live ammo, but says training only?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It doesn't perform like a real hollow point. They don't usually expand, they tend to shred and fragment. The tip is a side effect of the manufacturing process (the tail of the bullet is jacketed, unlike a FMJ bullet). They're supposed to be more accurate.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

When I shot these out of my dads long barrel .38 it changed it from being a comfortable shot to 'oh god why did this kick so much holy balls'.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

It doesn't perform like a real hollow point. They don't usually expand, they tend to shred and fragment. The tip is a side effect of the manufacturing process (the tail of the bullet is jacketed, unlike a FMJ bullet). They're supposed to be more accurate.

Ohhh so it's "for training purposes only" wink wink nudge nudge don't use these in theater

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

holy gently caress all of that owns owns owns

The stained glass is absolutely gorgeous

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Booblord Zagats posted:

Turns out America owns pretty hard when you think about it

Proof

that museum really needs a BUFF

e: but the stained glass is real cool

e2: abu hajaar meets Col Hogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQwYYr-F2U

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 6, 2016

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Maybe Abu Hajaar learnt from these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pb-i_PlBlA

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Turns out America owns pretty hard when you think about it

Proof

gently caress Yes

The Lord blesseth thou bombers, for they bring peace to thy land.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

gently caress Yes

that is sick as hell

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Slim Pickens posted:

gently caress Yes

I always had a soft spot for Offutt's stained glass mushroom cloud, but this is crazy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The air force sure does love some Christianity

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Laranzu posted:

Deus Vult, mother fucker

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iyaayas01 posted:

that museum really needs a BUFF

e: but the stained glass is real cool

e2: abu hajaar meets Col Hogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQwYYr-F2U

Holy. poo poo.

:boom:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Laranzu posted:

A lot of Officers are hardcore evangelicals

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of Officers are hardcore evangelicals

Someone post Shim's Intel officer rant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to be leaving a New York City vacation and heading back to Orlando at the beginning of September, but we've got an extra day off work beyond what we were actually vacationing on. Are there any awesome military museums along that route other than Mighty 8th? I was already thinking about stopping there.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The mighty 8th air force museum is p. cool yeah, real close to Savannah airport too.

I was surprised how comparatively small the B-47 is but I guess that's to be expected from an immediate postwar mediumish jet bomber. Don't think they've got the space for a buff tho.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Needs more B-58 lovin'

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Vacation, you say?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm going to be leaving a New York City vacation and heading back to Orlando at the beginning of September, but we've got an extra day off work beyond what we were actually vacationing on. Are there any awesome military museums along that route other than Mighty 8th? I was already thinking about stopping there.

if you go through DC obviously the NASM on the Mall and Udvar-Hazy. There's also the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico. Charleston has Patriots Point, with the Yorktown, Laffey, and some other ships.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Intrepid is in NYC.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

if you go through DC obviously the NASM on the Mall and Udvar-Hazy. There's also the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico. Charleston has Patriots Point, with the Yorktown, Laffey, and some other ships.

I've hit NASM before. Might look at Charleston, though.

Godholio posted:

The Intrepid is in NYC.

Way ahead of you.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

NASA used their new high dynamic range camera to film a rocket test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPfcwT4Fcy8

:stare:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Today I learned this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFD0Zyl_f0

littering is bad

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

its called the Texas confederate airforce?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

its called the Texas confederate airforce?

It used to be. They changed the name to Commemorative Air Force 15 years ago. Some called it confederate, because it started as a loosely affiliated confederation of enthusiasts. But then a combination of distaste for the name for obvious reasons, and "good ole boys" taking the name far too seriously and making comments about Yankees and the old south led to the members voting to change the name.

e: edited to reflect that it's just CAF, not TCAF.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LostCosmonaut posted:

Today I learned this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFD0Zyl_f0

littering is bad

Texas: Our solution to everything is to threaten to kill you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
tbh i'd be down with drone striking people who litter or dont move the gently caress out of the left lane

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

go3 posted:

tbh i'd be down with drone striking people who litter or dont move the gently caress out of the left lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEjaxYmxY8E

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

go3 posted:

I like this idea.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
texas leads the way with drone striking citizens

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Blind Rasputin posted:

NASA used their new high dynamic range camera to film a rocket test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPfcwT4Fcy8

:stare:

I've always wondered how something with so much thrust could be held in place and not destroy itself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Third World Reggin posted:

texas leads the way with drone striking citizens

:captainpop:

ded posted:

I've always wondered how something with so much thrust could be held in place and not destroy itself.

Bolts. Comically huge bolts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Bolts. Comically huge bolts.

I was somewhat surprised and terrified the first time I worked on a crane. We were attaching the jib (basically a lattice boom extension on the end of a telescoping boom to give it some extra reach). Turns out the entire thing is attached by 4 pins about the size and shape of an ice cream cone, which you can relatively easily remove with a one-hand sledgehammer as long as everything is adjusted to line up right. Attaching and detaching the jib involves only having two pins attaching it to one side of the boom, so you can tie a rope to it and swing it around by hand on the pins like a giant hinge.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

I was somewhat surprised and terrified the first time I worked on a crane. We were attaching the jib (basically a lattice boom extension on the end of a telescoping boom to give it some extra reach). Turns out the entire thing is attached by 4 pins about the size and shape of an ice cream cone, which you can relatively easily remove with a one-hand sledgehammer as long as everything is adjusted to line up right. Attaching and detaching the jib involves only having two pins attaching it to one side of the boom, so you can tie a rope to it and swing it around by hand on the pins like a giant hinge.

The wings on a Cessna 152 are held on with four 5/16 bolts per side, loaded in shear. One near the leading edge at the join to the fuselage, one just forward of the flap at the fuselage, and one on each end of the wing strut. In trade school, we'd take them out of the shop airplanes and then have show-and-tell with the part 141 flight school students down the hall. :haw:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

Waffle cone or sugar cone?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ded posted:

For jet engines we have giant loving deck plates that weigh several hundred pounds secured to the ground with giant loving bolts and massive chains. Friend of mine had his finger get rolled over by one of the deck plates and it looked like he had a hotdog for a finger for about 2 weeks

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

"Global propaganda machines are using all the resources available to introduce role models in order to deceive humans. And the hands of other nations are empty. They don't have role models. But our hands are full. Imam Hassan and Hussein. "Masters of the youth of heaven". And their youth must be an example for all young people around the world. Also the Prophet and Amir Al-Momenin."

via reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
600 lb ANFO IED detonates under MRAP, Afghanistan 2015

http://gfycat.com/HonorableWetHog.gifv