Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Good for the gorilla warfare Navy SEAL guy to try and find peace in other people's his art

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's so nice of his cop friends to do Pro bono work for him. That's true friendship.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fathis Munk posted:

It's so nice of his cop friends to do Pro bono work for him. That's true friendship.

Yeah i have to pay the cops to beat up random internet people here.... guys getting a great deal.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

CannedMacabre posted:

So apparently STDH stories ending with "Loch Ness Monsta!" is now a thing imgurians find to be the height of hilarity.

http://imgur.com/gallery/l0roE

Ytlaya posted:

This is the sort of thing I would have found funny in high school, so I'm assuming (/hoping) that's the main fan base.

DId you go to high school in 1999?
Seriously, thats a bit from season loving 2 of South Park. Why wouyld that be making a comeback now? my meme game must be weak as poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Seriously, thats a bit from season loving 2 of South Park. Why wouyld that be making a comeback now? my meme game must be weak as poo poo

Some people on these forums did, yes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

2000-2004, so close to that. But I'm mostly referring to the whole "something being 'random' and unexpected = funny" type of humor, which was very popular when I was a teenager (and seems to still be popular among teens due to their undeveloped sense of humor).

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

which was very popular when I was a teenager (and seems to still be popular among teens due to their undeveloped sense of humor).

It never went away

It'll never go away

:negative:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
When I was a kid it was gotdamned elephant jokes. Anyways...

Camp

quote:

This Troper has had very few real friends in her life. Her past friends have sat back and watched as girls defiled (no, not like that) and messed around with her sleeping body during a sleepover, or just going as far as dumping her in the nearest ditch as soon as a group of more desirable girls came along. At any rate, she had an altercation with some neighbors in her summer camp one day, and while she was gone, two of her roommates overheard the neighbors bad-mouthing her. Said roommates told the third roommate when she came back, and all three were outraged and vowed revenge. I came back to the room to see one roommate messing with her iPod—finding the rudest and loudest songs possible—one roommate getting out her loudest possible speakers and positioning just outside the door in the hallway, and the third helping the second make the wires accommodate the distance. They were planning to blast any offensive and loud song they could think of right into the offending neighbors' room, practically. When they explained the situation, I teared up and it took a struggle not to start bawling right there. No one had ever done something like that for me, and they're the only friends of mine who ever would do something like that. My roommates had no clue why I was hugging them so tightly, but that's okay. They hugged back.

Pizza

quote:

One day in college, this troper, during a down period attributable to insufficiently-medicated Dysthymia, was hanging out with a friend for pizza and TV. When I called to place the order, the gent on the other end of the phone said "You don't sound so good"—when I'm upset, you can hear it very clearly in my voice—and I said back "Oh, yeah, I'm kinda having a bad day." He says "Well I hope the pizza makes you feel a little better then," and we end the call. When my friend comes back with the pizza, after she puts it down, she picks up the plastic bag with our sodas in it, reaches in, and pulls out something and hands it to me. It's a COLORING BOOK, like you'd give to a 5-year-old, called "You Are Special," that the pizza place had sent along to try to cheer me up.

Pancake

quote:

This troper's brother is going through a messy custody dispute. His estranged wife has severe psychological problems and plays all kinds of head games with him. She took their three children to New England from Texas a few weeks before Christmas, keeping our family from seeing the children. Christmas morning comes along, and my brother arrives to have breakfast with us before we all go to visit family. Now, the relationship between my brother and our dad has been a little strained for a long time, but it's getting better as my brother gets older. My brother is understandably depressed at his children not being with him for Christmas. Our dad finishes getting a pancake off of the griddle, turns to my brother, and gives one of the most epic real-life St. Crispin Day speeches I've ever heard. He ends it with, "This is your chance to be the father that your children need and deserve. This is your line in the sand, son." His words, combined with his soft-spoken tone, told everyone that he has his boy's back no matter what happens. Dad's mellowed out a lot since his Special Forces days, but every so often he'll prove that he's just as badass now as he was then.

Pony

quote:

This troper was having a bad day. A bad day. After having my best friend yell at me for ten solid minutes about how I needed to get over the boy I was in love with, I collapsed in tears in the dressing room (this was theatre class). Prior to this, the mother of one of our fellow thespians had died suddenly and I had taken one of the girl's close friends into the dressing room because she wasn't handling it well. My bff made a joke in an attempt to lighten the mood, and I was furious. I lit into him. It turned into a knock-down, drag-out yelling match that the rest of my advanced acting class tried desperately not to listen to, and we basically ended up dragging out every problem we'd ever had between us (which is how that boy came up). I go up to my next class, Spanish, a class I shared with one of my other best friends. I'm sitting there at my desk and all of a sudden I start crying again, so I excuse myself to go out to the water fountain. I turn around, sniffling, and there is my friend, walking towards me with her arms wide open. I fell into them and broke into sobs. She led me to the campus minister's office and I cried for the next period and a half - and she stayed with me. Later that day at rehearsal (it was tech week of a double-casted version of Our Town), I'm running around helping the actors from the other cast because it's their day to rehearse. Another friend of mine grabs me and tells me the theatre director needs to see me. Assuming he needed me to run an errand of some sort, I head out to the atrium in front of the theatre... and there is my best friend sitting right next to the director. I turn around to walk away (I had ignored him in the only class we shared) but she grabs me and pushes me towards him. Without saying a word, he hands me a little gray stuffed pony (I love horses) and two Kit-Kat bars. It was the most incredible thing anyone's ever done for me. Ever. I named that little pony Libero, after his favorite position on the volleyball team - and after its root, freedom, because he set me free to be who I really am. That little pony traveled across Europe with me. I still sleep with it.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Why can so many troper tales be summed up as "I'M A loving MESS" in bold, blinking text? How did mental instability get to be fetishized by this weird specific subset of the internet?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"Oh, you poor thing, I'm sorry to hear that. Let me try to help you"

(Someone's paying attention to me? Jackpot!!)

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

It seems like half of these are "teenage kids did regular teenage kid things to me and since I'm still in 10th grade I am still broken by this" and the other half are "I'm involved in musical theatre, cue insanity."

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What the hell is it with awkward nerds and musical theater

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xen Tricks posted:

Why can so many troper tales be summed up as "I'M A loving MESS" in bold, blinking text? How did mental instability get to be fetishized by this weird specific subset of the internet?

But enough about TCC/TFR/GiP.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

puck puck goose posted:

What the hell is it with awkward nerds and musical theater

It's the escapism of playing pretend combined with a very strict set of instructions so they never need to think about what to do or say

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Please don't post the intro to my fo4 fanfic.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

Kajeesus posted:

Anyone, who is "infatuated" with a woman for three years but develops a frothing hatred as soon as she sleeps with someone who isn't him, did not have a healthy relationship with them in the first place. That is a very typical Nice Guy story, and it's super lovely when someone you thought was a friend cuts off all ties and calls you a bitch and a manipulative whore because you got a new boyfriend.

Like the guy explicitly said he had a poo poo-throwing tantrum and ended his best friendship over it. I have no idea what you think I'm reading into, because it's right there in the text.

Actually, he claims SHE had the tantrum when he 'pulled the Just Wanted [his] Beloved To Be Happy card.' But it's all STDH, so.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Actually yeah, that makes more sense and makes the story way less exciting. Boo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just noticed the thread title and had I been less drunk I would've said "sung in perfect rhapsodic Bohemian".

Oh well...

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Run

quote:

One of the few clear memories this troper has from elementary school might qualify. All my life, I've been overweight and not very physically active, which makes gym classes sufficiently hard to deal with. In elementary school it was never too bad, but I never did like having to run the mile. Half of the reason was because no one was able to leave until every single person had completed, and guess who was probably only about halfway done by the time the entire class was finished and sitting around waiting for him? Imagine being "the fat kid" running all by himself across a track for who knows how long, while everyone else sits there and watches him. Now imagine that when he finally makes his way to the final lap, the entire class gets up and starts running alongside him, cheering him on. The memory doesn't come back to the surface very often, but it's always welcome when it does.

Doll

quote:

Several years ago, this troper was at a Denny's. Also there was an older lady who was most likely homeless and had some mental problems. This particular Denny's had a crane game. A little girl in a family of four had won a Betty Boop doll from it. This family had spoken to this lady in the restaraunt, and as they were both leaving, the little girl gave the doll to the older lady. The woman was moved that she cried and hugged both the girl and her younger brother. She walked away carrying the doll with her. And before you ask, yes This troper was that little girl.

Pokemon

quote:

This Troper never tried to do anything do anything to be popular, (or even liked for that matter). Through out high school, he was picked on for odd clothing choices; knowing the first 151 Pokemon by name, number and sound; and being friends with the oddest people in school. He did these things because he wanted to, no more, no less. Upon graduation, The class mainly sat & clapped for the Valedictorian & Salutatorian. When He got up for his diploma, the entire class stood up to cheer him on, yelling his name as if he was the most popular guy in school. Rest assured, this surprised this troper's parents.

Lawn

quote:

Our Family had been going through a tough time. We were being harassed by the Marshal's office because our grass was juuuust barely past the ordinance length. We had to clean out my grandmother's house still, as she had passed away a while ago and Mom just hadn't recovered yet to face the emotions still trapped in the location. The marshalls office finally just issued us a ticket (We found out later that this is how they manage to keep up their funding, and its rather silly that a glorified 'lawn care cop squad' gets more funding than the entire GA police force. Now that's a wallbanger if you ever heard one.) The ticket was going to be for 200 bucks. For a few inches of lawn. Well, Mom was freaking out because, even if we couldn't fight off the ticket, the riding lawnmower was broken (our lawn was big enough that we NEEDED that riding lawnmower), and we were also having to take care of my Dad's mom. Whom was slowly declining into a state of dementia that several times she thought we'd kidnapped her and were holding her hostage. Mom had to go out and get something, I can't remember what, meaning I was home caring for Grandma. I heard a knock at the door, two guys were there with a truck and a trailer with two lawnmowers, a weedwhacker, and a few other tools of lawncare. I assumed they had heard all this and were going to offer to do it for a slightly over-priced offer due to the crap we were having to put up with. I opened the door, preparing myself to say "Thanks, but my Mom isn't here therefore I cannot pay you, And even then I wouldn't pay that much." When they flat out say "Hey, we heard about your troubles, and we thought we'd come down to give you a hand." I blinked for a moment. Stunned. Not sure what to say. I managed to finally croak out a thanks, I quickly called Mom and told her this, I also took a chance, Telling Grandma I'd be right back and that I was helping these guys with the lawn. I grabbed one of their mowers and started to work. Mom arrived shortly afterwards, But before she arrived, Somehow half the neighborhood had showed up to help us clean up our lawn, mow the grass, and in general get it presentable. I was crying to myself as I worked. I couldn't believe this was happening. It hadn't undone what had happened, But it was sure as hell a start, And it sure as hell helped. They asked for no payment, they just smiled, nodded, and left.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plausible with the lawn care guys offering to do it for free.

Come on man, get out while you're ahead.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

I was that lawn guy

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The track one was prolly less cheers and more like "come on and finish! We want to go to lunch!"

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Boywhiz88 posted:

The track one was prolly less cheers and more like "come on and finish! We want to go to lunch!"

so did he

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Marshals deal with people whose lawns are in violation of city ordinance? That would have been a great Justified episode.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Marshals deal with people whose lawns are in violation of city ordinance? That would have been a great Justified episode.

"Boyd, I'd told you this half rear end lawn care will get you in trouble."

"Well, Raylen, the mowers busted and I sure as poo poo ain't gonna do it with a weed eater. How do you propose we handle it? You gonna give me a ticket? Lend me a mower? Shoot the lawn down to the legal height?"

"All three would be justified. Just fix it, don't make me come back down this holler."

gently caress, I miss that show. :-(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bulletsponge13 posted:

"Boyd, I'd told you this half rear end lawn care will get you in trouble."

"Well, Raylen, the mowers busted and I sure as poo poo ain't gonna do it with a weed eater. How do you propose we handle it? You gonna give me a ticket? Lend me a mower? Shoot the lawn down to the legal height?"

"All three would be justified. Just fix it, don't make me come back down this holler."

gently caress, I miss that show. :-(

"I know my people."

"You're like the hillbilly whisperer. We oughta put you on Oprah."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It would be funny if the story ended with the dementia grandma having some terrible accident while the troper irresponsibly left her by herself in the house.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's obviously a joke.

But also a sad reality.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is obviously a joke.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Neither the doctor nor the nurse apologized once, this clearly did not take place in canada.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tendales posted:

Neither the doctor nor the nurse apologized once, this clearly did not take place in canada.

The writer neglected to mention the hospital's overwhelming and pervasive smell of syrup.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I think "marshals" guy doesn't know what a HOA is.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

RNG posted:

I think "marshals" guy doesn't know what a HOA is.

I was picking up a distinct note of "non-native English speaker."

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Canadian Healthcare

If the person is just visiting, there should indeed be a payment - I've been in in the office when foreign oil workers are asked for money.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rchandra posted:

If the person is just visiting, there should indeed be a payment - I've been in in the office when foreign oil workers are asked for money.

Ok cool but it was a joke.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this one did happen, but with a caveat.

I was involved in staff for an anime convention in Atlanta about 14-15 years ago and somebody floated the idea of a themed formal/costume dance instead of the usual lovely rave. They took the idea and ran with it.

Somewhere along the planning phase, the idea for a Final Fantasy 8 theme came along and a bunch of volunteers decided to make it a hybrid of cosplay and formal dance. These people took over the dance and turned it from a formal dance into a dance with skits every few minutes.

The skits turned into the main focus of the planning, and the dance ended up being a disappointment for everybody who wasn't in the cast, all of whom had to stop dancing every five minutes while the FF cosplayers did their skits.

Nobody who went was happy with it, and it got cancelled and the planners involved weren't invited back the next year.

Apparently they got the idea to catch on at other conventions though, because a quick google of Anime Masquerade Proposal turns up YouTube results.

The caveat is this: the only people who attend these things are cosplaying tropers, because they are completely unenjoyable to anyone who doesn't want to dress up in costume and act out their favorite anime/videogame scenes in the middle of a dance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Costume contests at cons also often have the cosplayers perform little skits or lip sync routines instead of just doing a runway walk. That's where I saw a proposal happen between an Anna and Hans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
This particular convention didn't like the skits and bad acting and all because it always ended up running way too long and nobody but the cosplayers really enjoyed it anyway, so they only did the runway style contest. The costume dance was offered as an alternative event, but the cosplayers turned it into the skit-poo poo-show and it didn't go over well at all either.

I haven't been to one in over a decade though, so I don't know if they eventually did give in and do that again though.