Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I guess he's allowed to since it's NBC. If it was ABC, he be talking about how many impressions it generated per minute of broadcast or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamnit Todd Grisham

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Add another thing to the list of reasons to never watch sportscenter.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I like that he just apologizes for not researching that Ichiro does know English, which means he stands by the original "Speak American, goddammit!" opinion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shannon Sharpe has been officially named as Skip's co-star

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Mother of God.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

:negative:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Hey who knows, maybe if we get the worst of the worst all on one show it'll lead to the heat death of the hot take.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Is there are 4,000 pixel version of :stare:

Because I have the feeling we're going to need it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino always used to speak through an interpreter when he was Southampton manager. He knew English, but it wasn't strong enough to completely articulate what he meant but know he knows enough to ditch the translator

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
which takes will be hotter, the skip/shannon takes or noted satirical podcast Pardon My Take

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Noctone posted:

Hey who knows, maybe if we get the worst of the worst all on one show it'll lead to the heat death of the hot take.

we all lived through First Take so I doubt it sadly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Shannon Sharpe is still better than Stephen A Smith.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lockback posted:

Shannon Sharpe is still better than Stephen A Smith.

different from not better than

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

better than Stephen A Smith.

there are low bars to clear, and then there are bars buried thousands of feet beneath the earth

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does Shannon Sharpe have hot takes? I'm always too distracted by the way he talks to really notice what he's actually saying.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So I also saw Screaming A Smith's hot taek about Tebow playing baseball and I found it... actually amusing. But I then felt bad because the reason I found it amusing was because Screaming A Smith sounded like he was having a stroke or a seisure or in some sort of worst case scenario masturbating furiously in attempting to deliver the hot taek

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino always used to speak through an interpreter when he was Southampton manager. He knew English, but it wasn't strong enough to completely articulate what he meant but know he knows enough to ditch the translator

I thought Poch used the translator to openly gently caress with the media

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Can someone explain how basketball writing is any different from other sports blogging and why Deadspin has such a weird thing about it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

morestuff posted:

Can someone explain how basketball writing is any different from other sports blogging and why Deadspin has such a weird thing about it

Because they can go full SJW about white guys writing about black guys.

That and basketball writing tends to be atrocious. So is baseball, but no one cares about baseball so it's not as good for clickbait.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

Deadspin is so bad now. It's like 90% just rehashing what happened in sports and 10% being really upset that their journalism career isn't taking off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Deadspin is so bad now. It's like 90% just rehashing what happened in sports and 10% being really upset that their journalism career isn't taking off.

gawker as a whole has basically admitted this is their last week of existence as they know it and have gone full-bore "gently caress it" mode.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

When they're right, they're right.

http://gawker.com/they-should-only-swim-the-fast-way-1785034513

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Deadspin has really dug in on the "Sam Hinkie Was Actually Objectively A Disaster & Anyone Who Suggests Otherwise Is A Dumbass Nerd" take

I think there's plenty of room to push back against the analytics crowd but they seem to be working backwards from "these dudes who think they're smart are actually bad," because loving Deadspin certainly isn't providing any more insightful basketball commentary than your average blogger

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Crabwalking would be amazing

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Basically it's funny that the guy who wrote the anti-basketball blogger article (http://deadspin.com/deadspin-fears-the-basketblogging-horde-1785037940) thinks Deadspin's problem is that they started to get too nice and focused on Real Journalism, not that sideswiping at Zach Lowe would look stupid as hell coming from the website that is 40% promoted content, 30% unrelated to sports and 20% screencaps

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hand Row posted:

Crabwalking would be amazing
Let LeBron James enter the competition with a basketball in hand and there's your winner right there.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Let LeBron James enter the competition with a basketball in hand and there's your winner right there.

Lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Deadspin has really dug in on the "Sam Hinkie Was Actually Objectively A Disaster & Anyone Who Suggests Otherwise Is A Dumbass Nerd" take

I think there's plenty of room to push back against the analytics crowd but they seem to be working backwards from "these dudes who think they're smart are actually bad," because loving Deadspin certainly isn't providing any more insightful basketball commentary than your average blogger

they're right

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
One of the "awful takes" they linked in the article was someone saying the MCW trade was good and that the Sixers came out ahead in trades under Hinkie

It's just a different shade of the Simmons/Kahn thing. He was a lovely GM but also a lovely writer/website made it a core part of their identity to amplify that very mild take to an absurd degree

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

they're right

In the way that only people who exploit date rape can be?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

In the way that only people who exploit date rape can be?
Wait how did we get from Sam Hinkle to date Rape?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crazy Ted posted:

'gently caress Deadspin', in my mind at least, came into being after reading that father's emails begging them to take down video footage of his overwhelmingly intoxicated daughter being nailed by a bunch of frat boys in a bar bathroom.

The email correspondence in response from DS was what you would expect if you saw the Hogan testimony, personnel changes be damned.

It's a bunch of toxic people who can't even troll properly, e.g. doubling down on Hinkie hate when it's irrational.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

DOOP posted:

I thought Poch used the translator to openly gently caress with the media

well that's probably the correct reason because gently caress knows the British media are loving poison

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

You see, any time an organization does something bad, it automatically invalidates any opinions their possibly unrelated writers might have about an unrelated topic

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

'gently caress Deadspin', in my mind at least, came into being after reading that father's emails begging them to take down video footage of his overwhelmingly intoxicated daughter being nailed by a bunch of frat boys in a bar bathroom.

The email correspondence in response from DS was what you would expect if you saw the Hogan testimony, personnel changes be damned.

It's a bunch of toxic people who can't even troll properly, e.g. doubling down on Hinkie hate when it's irrational.

Deadspin is junk but there's probably a better way to defend the memory of the late Sam Hinkie than trying to shoehorn date rape into the conversation

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know where the awful posts thread went and this is somewhat related to sports journalism because it was a comment under a WSJ article about male athletes seeking objectification:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anals of History posted:

I don't know where the awful posts thread went and this is somewhat related to sports journalism because it was a comment under a WSJ article about male athletes seeking objectification:

That thread is in TFF

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Anals of History posted:

What do you think, 5'4"? 5'5"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Short white guy that can't get laid is 100% my mental image of anyone that uses the term 'SJW' on the internet