Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

status update

This looks like a cup of diarrhoea.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tbh i'll take our word for it, ive never seen a cup of diarrhea

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

yes. elixr owns, especially if you want to wait 10 minutes for a $4.50 pour over

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fayez Butts posted:

yes. elixr owns, especially if you want to wait 10 minutes for a $4.50 pour over

was in there once or twice when the new place wasn't 100% open yet. nice in there but not always around walnut st.

i miss philly tho. lots of good brews

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

tbh i'll take our word for it, ive never seen a cup of diarrhea

Not surprised the computer man has no imagination.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

New roaster is worth the $$$ in charts and graphs and shiny metal.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

status update

I drank some before taking the pic, sorry guys

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Here's the roast console. The software is a general-purpose interface for controlling roasting equipment, from home-brew heat gun/bread machine setups to large-batch commercial roasters from Probat/Diedrich/Ambex/etc . As such, you need to do a little setup to get everything working with your own gear. I've added buttons and sliders to let me control the various components of my particular roaster which you see along the left side (heat & fan) and along the bottom.

When the roast is actually running another line of standard buttons appear along the bottom, all of which (my custom ones you see and the standard ones that only appear during an actual roast) are fully programmable. For example, I have programmed the "DROP" button to leave the drum motor running, set power to 0%, set the fan to 100%, open the bean ejection door solenoid, and engage the agitation arms in the cooling tray. I've then programmed an alarm to shut everything down after 5 minutes of cooling.

The alarms allow you to program basically everything on this machine from the point when you add the beans to the end of the cooling cycle. Every bean is going to react differently so the general approach is to tune the alarms to program your way through a particular bean using a combination of alarm points for temp/time/etc to adjust the heating elements and/or fans.

The latest thinking in the coffee roasting world suggests that a steadily declining Rate of Rise (ROR) is the key to roasts that don't suck. The navy blue line above is the Bean Temperature (BT) which comes from a thermocouple sticking into the pile of beans as they're tumbled around in the drum. Once the roast gets going, you want the BT to rise at a steadily decreasing rate. The blue line in the graph labeled DeltaBT (starting at around 40 seconds at the bottom) tracks the first derivative of the navy curve, showing the rate of change of the BT indicated above. This curve should shoot up after the turning point (labeled TP here) and then slowly, smoothly decline until the end of the roast. With a little smoothing of the data and some squinting this roast almost looks good (it isn't, the beans are terrible).

More recently, it has been posited that the ideal rate of rise should itself look something like a natural log curve. You can enter math expressions directly and have them plotted, or just use a previous roast that tasted good and skip all this dumb math, then set it as a "background" curve to try and match it with your current roast. Once you have a curve you like, you can also configure the software to engage a PID algorithm to control the heat/fan/etc in an attempt to fit the desired curve. I haven't quite gotten this far with the software, but it promises to provide a consistent, repeatable roast which is something I couldn't really accomplish without being able to track the bean temperature.

I have some beans that should be ready for pickup today and I'll finally get a chance to roast something I intend to drink.

edit: sorry cats but I've taken over your tree

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 10, 2016

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Visual GNUdio posted:

Here's the roast console. The software is a general-purpose interface for controlling roasting equipment, from home-brew heat gun/bread machine setups to large-batch commercial roasters from Probat/Diedrich/Ambex/etc . As such, you need to do a little setup to get everything working with your own gear. I've added buttons and sliders to let me control the various components of my particular roaster which you see along the left side (heat & fan) and along the bottom.

When the roast is actually running another line of standard buttons appear along the bottom, all of which (my custom ones you see and the standard ones that only appear during an actual roast) are fully programmable. For example, I have programmed the "DROP" button to leave the drum motor running, set power to 0%, set the fan to 100%, open the bean ejection door solenoid, and engage the agitation arms in the cooling tray. I've then programmed an alarm to shut everything down after 5 minutes of cooling.

The alarms allow you to program basically everything on this machine from the point when you add the beans to the end of the cooling cycle. Every bean is going to react differently so the general approach is to tune the alarms to program your way through a particular bean using a combination of alarm points for temp/time/etc to adjust the heating elements and/or fans.

The latest thinking in the coffee roasting world suggests that a steadily declining Rate of Rise (ROR) is the key to roasts that don't suck. The navy blue line above is the Bean Temperature (BT) which comes from a thermocouple sticking into the pile of beans as they're tumbled around in the drum. Once the roast gets going, you want the BT to rise at a steadily decreasing rate. The blue line in the graph labeled DeltaBT (starting at around 40 seconds at the bottom) tracks the first derivative of the navy curve, showing the rate of change of the BT indicated above. This curve should shoot up after the turning point (labeled TP here) and then slowly, smoothly decline until the end of the roast. With a little smoothing of the data and some squinting this roast almost looks good (it isn't, the beans are terrible).

More recently, it has been posited that the ideal rate of rise should itself look something like a natural log curve. You can enter math expressions directly and have them plotted, or just use a previous roast that tasted good and skip all this dumb math, then set it as a "background" curve to try and match it with your current roast. Once you have a curve you like, you can also configure the software to engage a PID algorithm to control the heat/fan/etc in an attempt to fit the desired curve. I haven't quite gotten this far with the software, but it promises to provide a consistent, repeatable roast which is something I couldn't really accomplish without being able to track the bean temperature.

I have some beans that should be ready for pickup today and I'll finally get a chance to roast something I intend to drink.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Visual GNUdio posted:

heavens to spergatroid

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Visual GNUdio posted:

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Fayez Butts posted:

i love coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Visual GNUdio posted:

nerd

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Coffee doesn't even get you hosed up, wtf :v:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

maybe not at your quantities

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

caffeine toxicity is real, and it's glorious

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Visual GNUdio posted:

:eyepop:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Visual GNUdio posted:

I had Peet's from a K cup.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FlaviaŽ "Morning Blend" coffee packet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i don't know what the official type of coffee was, but all i know was that i was able to find a non-flavored k-cup, so i used that

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

it's hot as heck out. good day for a Glass Of Cold Brew

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

prefect posted:

i don't know what the official type of coffee was, but all i know was that i was able to find a non-flavored k-cup, so i used that

i think that's just hot water, my friend

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

teen bear posted:

i think that's just hot water, my friend

no, it's brown and smells coffee-ish. i think it's coffee

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

FlaviaŽ "Morning Blend" coffee packet.

Update: This was not very good.

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

im on the take today even though it's coffee from home

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

drinking coffee rn

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

3 shots this morning

dammit my tolerance is building up again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

about to make coffee

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
☕️

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

triple sulk posted:

about to make coffee

pro moves, both of you

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

had 2 cups of iced coffee earlier, it was good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

drinking aforementioned coffee

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the office swapped out the keurig machines for these boston bean machines that grind the beans and brew in front of you after you place your order

i drank so much coffee today i got sick

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mad Wack posted:

the office swapped out the keurig machines for these boston bean machines that grind the beans and brew in front of you after you place your order

i drank so much coffee today i got sick

we've got machines kind of like this:

but they've attached a milk tube to it, so i stay away for maximum safety

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Work from home this morning means better coffee

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Visual GNUdio posted:

your coffee is still insane, but i like that desk/table thing you've got going on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Visual GNUdio posted:

:same: