Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

uXs posted:

How about an RPG based on the Malazan books, that would be sweet.

Hundreds upon hundreds of DLC's.

I would be amazed if anyone could manage to adapt even a fraction of the scope of those books into an actual game and not just a lore dump with an impenetrable magic system bolted on. But as long as they include the most important questline, i.e. literally destroying civilization as a teblor, I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sindai posted:

Paradox is running a survey that is very interested in RPGs, action RPGs, and what makes them replayable: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/take-our-rpg-survey.962385/

Vampire action RPG confirmed. :tinfoil:
Its kind of weird they went with New Vegas over Witcher 3 for the open world representative, but in that weirdness you can almost guarantee this thing is meant to inform suits about a new Obsidian project

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

zedprime posted:

Its kind of weird they went with New Vegas over Witcher 3 for the open world representative, but in that weirdness you can almost guarantee this thing is meant to inform suits about a new Obsidian project

ropekid is cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, so this should be exciting!

("Personal path ending - Extremely enjoyable")

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just like exploring big open worlds. I suck at following a story all the way through.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, so this should be exciting!

("Personal path ending - Extremely enjoyable")

Dancing Werewolf Ending Best Ending :colbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I told them party management and real-time with pause combat are both terrible things.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I just like exploring big open worlds. I suck at following a story all the way through.

This right here. In Skyrim I just wandered around, robbing tombs and murdering bandits until my travels got me in the vicinity of a quest location.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Riso posted:

I told them party management and real-time with pause combat are both terrible things.

But why would you lie to them like that? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the survey?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

With VTM, the first few hours are fantastic, then all the technical issues and annoyances slowly start grinding me down and I struggle to find the willpower to finish it. Also, that fight near the end against the Asian vampire woman is total bullshit. Is it even possible to win legitimately

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want an rpg where the story is entirely personal. Like there is no world end I mg threat or whatever, it's just your character taking care of personal poo poo. It's why I've only ever finished F:NV once, the whole dlc plot is much more interesting than 7th Hoover dam stuff

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

With VTM, the first few hours are fantastic, then all the technical issues and annoyances slowly start grinding me down and I struggle to find the willpower to finish it. Also, that fight near the end against the Asian vampire woman is total bullshit. Is it even possible to win legitimately

Also the infamous sewer level completely killed the pacing. In fact that entire snuff-film plot sucked.

e:Also gently caress, I wish I'd told them that weight and item durability mechanics suck and should be abandoned already.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

I want an rpg where the story is entirely personal. Like there is no world end I mg threat or whatever, it's just your character taking care of personal poo poo. It's why I've only ever finished F:NV once, the whole dlc plot is much more interesting than 7th Hoover dam stuff

I think this would be interesting if it was done in the scope of larger things happening but you don't necessarily have a personal stake in them. Like the civil war from Skyrim but without the whole "you are the chosen one, dragonborn" aspect of the main plotline. So many RPGs force you into the hero role because you have to save the world or whatever - I think it would allow for more roleplaying options if the PC was just some guy and could choose how they feel about whatever the big crisis is for themselves.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I guess Mount and Blade sort of fits that idea.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vampire's difficulty level was totally dependent on your class. I don't think the physical-based classes were that good, but three of the four times I played through it were with the classes with broken magical powers so I didn't sweat any of the combat at all.

But yeah, the sewer was rough, that kind of went on forever

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vampire's difficulty level was totally dependent on your class. I don't think the physical-based classes were that good, but three of the four times I played through it were with the classes with broken magical powers so I didn't sweat any of the combat at all.

But yeah, the sewer was rough, that kind of went on forever

Any clan with Celerity was easy mode for combat. It's a tossup between Celerity and Obfuscation which was stronger for most fights. With Celerity, after a few dots enemies move so slowly your only risk is moving so fast that you dodge back into bullets you forgot were hanging near-motionless in the air. With Obfuscation high enough, you can move around and stealth kill every non-boss enemy at will, with no chance to be detected. Celerity is better for boss fights (I killed the Transformed Sheriff using Celerity before he even finished the first swoop), while Obfuscate is better for non-bosses, since you're in 0 danger and don't have to waste ammo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agean90 posted:

The Witcher 3 is sort of that, the main character just happens to be the adoptive father of a character that is trying to end a world ending threat. Hell, which ending you get is largely determined by your parenting skills.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaza42 posted:

Any clan with Celerity was easy mode for combat. It's a tossup between Celerity and Obfuscation which was stronger for most fights. With Celerity, after a few dots enemies move so slowly your only risk is moving so fast that you dodge back into bullets you forgot were hanging near-motionless in the air. With Obfuscation high enough, you can move around and stealth kill every non-boss enemy at will, with no chance to be detected. Celerity is better for boss fights (I killed the Transformed Sheriff using Celerity before he even finished the first swoop), while Obfuscate is better for non-bosses, since you're in 0 danger and don't have to waste ammo

You didn't even need obfuscation, really. With stealth skill maxed out you were effectively invisible anyway. VTM: Bloodlines was not a balanced game. It was still awesome though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Didn't Dragon Age 2 do this only it was terrible? I don't know because I didn't play it because I heard it was terrible.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The dialogue differences for the crazy clan, Malkavians I think, was really well done. Some of the clans had a really distinct feel that was really interesting. I concur that interesting doesn't mean balanced though; some clan choices were definite hard modes.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Didn't Dragon Age 2 do this only it was terrible? I don't know because I didn't play it because I heard it was terrible.

It was, but it was bad because it was super rushed. The fact that it was fantasy It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia owned

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The dialogue differences for the crazy clan, Malkavians I think, was really well done. Some of the clans had a really distinct feel that was really interesting. I concur that interesting doesn't mean balanced though; some clan choices were definite hard modes.

Malkavian made for a great second playthrough (relevant to that survey!) because your dialogue basically kept on predicting the future, but you wouldn't really be able to tell unless you had already played the game once

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this would be interesting if it was done in the scope of larger things happening but you don't necessarily have a personal stake in them. Like the civil war from Skyrim but without the whole "you are the chosen one, dragonborn" aspect of the main plotline. So many RPGs force you into the hero role because you have to save the world or whatever - I think it would allow for more roleplaying options if the PC was just some guy and could choose how they feel about whatever the big crisis is for themselves.

Oh god this. Like you play a mercenary guy of some sort, both sides are good and bad in equal measure, some sort of civil war progresses around you, your allegiances can be fluid, and the NPCs are actually dangerous, meaning you can't just wander into the enemy HQ and kill everyone. I think for that sort of game it would be ideal to have your character be hypermobile by some conceit or another, meaning you can explore lots of places, but you won't be able to win fights with people, so you actually have to sneak and stay away from populated places.

Some of the most fun I ever had was playing Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition, where you have to walk everywhere (no fast travel), gun damage is cranked way up (so if somebody catches you off guard, you die), and also you're just some mechanic guy, so there's no plot.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Malkavian made for a great second playthrough (relevant to that survey!) because your dialogue basically kept on predicting the future, but you wouldn't really be able to tell unless you had already played the game once

I played Malkavian first and I was so drat confused for most of the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

gently caress, I would love a CK2-style dynastic politics game in the Vampire setting, fighting over control of a city with all sorts of subterfuge and clan infighting

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Come on PdX give me Arcanum 2

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does Magicka count as an RPG??

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

DrSunshine posted:

Does Magicka count as an RPG??

Action RPG maybe?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I answered the survey, although my answers were mostly in line with Dark Souls and Mount and Blade, which are the two RPGs I've played the most of recently. It'll probably be nothing like either, but I can dream!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Oblivion make the werewolf rpg

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Oh god this. Like you play a mercenary guy of some sort, both sides are good and bad in equal measure, some sort of civil war progresses around you, your allegiances can be fluid, and the NPCs are actually dangerous, meaning you can't just wander into the enemy HQ and kill everyone. I think for that sort of game it would be ideal to have your character be hypermobile by some conceit or another, meaning you can explore lots of places, but you won't be able to win fights with people, so you actually have to sneak and stay away from populated places.

You're asking for Age of Decadence.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That doesn't sound like it would be fun at all. But each to their own.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Sounds like Prototype with actual difficulty involved, and more than a veneer of RPG elements. That would be rad.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 14, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

You're asking for Age of Decadence.

yeah but i think he also implied he wanted the game to be good

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

corn in the bible posted:

I mean preferably, but it's not a hard requirement.

I'd have a stronger preference for it to be first person, and with no magic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

No kidding. I really wanted to like Age of Decadence, but yeesh.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What would an open world Fallout style WoD game look like? New or old world? If vampires, which clans would be available and how would the introduction play? How would they handle the masquerade? Could you join forces with the Sabbat and if so how would they handle the masquerade? I feel like Bloodlines and Redemption only really worked because they had tight, linear storylines with a bunch of filler stuff but an open world would have to be insanely complex and somehow not gently caress you over if you made mistakes.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I like Age of Decadence :shobon:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Zohar posted:

I like Age of Decadence :shobon:

What's good about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Some of the most fun I ever had was playing Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition, where you have to walk everywhere (no fast travel), gun damage is cranked way up (so if somebody catches you off guard, you die), and also you're just some mechanic guy, so there's no plot.

Far Cry 2! :peanut:

PittTheElder posted:

I mean preferably, but it's not a hard requirement.

I'd have a stronger preference for it to be first person, and with no magic.

Far Cry 2! :peanut:

Not Far Cry 2! :sadpeanut:
However, everything you want is what people hate about that game so I'd highly recommend it.