Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

rgocs posted:

So how was the souffle?

It was genuinely the best soufflé I have ever witnessed, it was impeccable..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

Renting an entire restaurant for an attempt at a simple date is definitely a creative take on the "nice guy spends creepily socially inappropriate amount of money on gifts for a woman as if it buys affection" thing.

It's incredibly hosed up and awkward for a date with someone you're still trying to get with, but it could see it being a really cool surprise for like your 20th wedding anniversary.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Renting out an entire restaurant for anything besides an anniversary, or proposal (not six months after meeting either) seems weird. I would be so freaked out and nervous.

Am I the only person who doesn't think about who is paying what on the bill until it's time to actually pay? And then I'm just like "do you want to split it or I can pay it all or we can figure out exactly how much mine cost..." with a grin to indicate I don't care who pays for what? Is that weird? Have I offended people by doing this?
Or guys, at least? Ladydates always seem more chill but that could be in my head

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Pick posted:

It was genuinely the best soufflé I have ever witnessed, it was impeccable..

At least there was that! No idea how long you had known this person, you sure he wasn't married and making sure nobody saw him?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pick posted:

an old guy once rented out a restaurant for dinner with me

It was one of my most unhappy experiences, and no one seems to understand how stressful it was :(

Admittedly I don't like s guy to pay a big bill unless I see him as someone I would gently caress in the short or medium term :/

see that's the thing; I actually enjoy picking up the tab for people I'm dating/hooking up with but i think it's weird to just be expected to pick up the whole tab just because I'm the dude. Like, yea i asked the person out but why would a woman WANT me to pay for everything if we obviously weren't compatible and we're not gonna see each other again.

and honestly 99% of the girls I've gone out with that it obviously wasn't going to work out with were the ones to make sure we'd split the check anyways so it's no big deal.

I dunno what my point here is, but I guess I'd say it's kinda weird in this day and age to expect anybody to cover a check just because they were the ones to ask the other party out

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Renting out an entire restaurant for anything besides an anniversary, or proposal (not six months after meeting either) seems weird. I would be so freaked out and nervous.

Am I the only person who doesn't think about who is paying what on the bill until it's time to actually pay? And then I'm just like "do you want to split it or I can pay it all or we can figure out exactly how much mine cost..." with a grin to indicate I don't care who pays for what? Is that weird? Have I offended people by doing this?
Or guys, at least? Ladydates always seem more chill but that could be in my head

I think I always just tried to be prepared to pay for everything if I needed to and then otherwise just figure it out on the fly. Having strong expectations one way or another, much less getting butthurt if I wasn't allowed to pay for everything, would never occur to me.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I make whore bitches pay the entire bill, and my gas money for the privilege of them getting to spend time with me.

I also make them work for all the household money when I trick them into a long term relationship because I need to masturbate to hentai at least 6 hours a day.

:milk: FatShat you forgot the :69snypa: Very naice

GAMES :jamez:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ lol holy poo poo dude

Blacktoll posted:

moridin itt trying to figure out how to pay a bill on a date was the most demonstrative way he could of displayed his social skills

all i said was the party doing the inviting is usually obliged to pay idk why that's so weird to you drildos

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

LOVEGAMES :jamez:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Look everybody I just doxxed Skylark ^^^

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

lol jesus loving christ I want to see the rest of the comments hahaha what a loving little pussy rear end bitch that man is

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ElGroucho posted:

LOL at a grown loving man wearing a video game shirt trying to impress a lady

Go buy a dress shirt and grow some hair you bald bitch

Just kidding bald dudes, you're alright

This!

I saw pictures of a goon meet, an EVE goon meet, and among the sea of ratty t-shirts there was a guy in a nice dress shirt that unexpectedly made my heart go pitter pat for a sec. It was a casual event so the top couple buttons were undone, and in the later pics he had his sleeves rolled up. It probably helped that he was the skinny nerd type rather than the fat nerd type, but he was still another nerdy computer janitor who cares way too much about internet spaceships and doesn't get enough exercise or sunshine. A clean shirt that fit him well made a huge difference in attractiveness vs. the ratty t-shirt crowd.

Some guys try that and go way too far tho. The nice dress shirt was paired with jeans, because it was a goonmeet, not the opera or whatever. He wasn't wearing a tie, a suit jacket, or a fedora (which can just make you look like a kid dressing up in your grandpa's old clothes).

Dressing like a grown up is hard. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Same.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

JFairfax posted:

lol jesus loving christ I want to see the rest of the comments hahaha what a loving little pussy rear end bitch that man is

Yeah, although, I want to see her with a boyfriend while continuing to let his best frandddd hold her like that.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think I always just tried to be prepared to pay for everything if I needed to and then otherwise just figure it out on the fly. Having strong expectations one way or another, much less getting butthurt if I wasn't allowed to pay for everything, would never occur to me.

Oh yeah I won't go out if I don't have means to pay, unless it's with a friend who understands I'm broke and I've already been like "hey we can just chill at home because I have no money" and they said they're cool with paying for fries or w/e. I don't do that with people I don't know well.

The rest of the time money is just on a checklist of things I take and I don't really think about it until it's time to pay. And I don't care who pays. Even if I dislike someone I don't mind picking up the check, especially if I initiated. IDK, just seemed odd to me.

Maybe it's a thing I picked up dating women and unconsciously applied to everyone? I'm serious about ladydates being much more chill, in my experience. Not saying I've never met a high strung woman who dated other women, just that I don't date them, I guess. But I have dated some kinda garbage dudes. Especially in my youth. Hmm.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

People are weird.

The girl who rejected me when I asked her out on a date but wanted to come to my place to watch netflix, using her account mind you, I dont have one lol, tried to tickle me more than once and was rubbing her legs against mine .

I just wanted to watch stranger things :(

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

punakone posted:

People are weird.

The girl who rejected me when I asked her out on a date but wanted to come to my place to watch netflix, using her account mind you, I dont have one lol, tried to tickle me more than once and was rubbing her legs against mine .

I just wanted to watch stranger things :(

:frogsiren: She's trying to friendzone you! :frogsiren:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Clearly this is part of her long-term strategy to keep you holding doors for her and giving her compliments while she rides the cock carrousel behind your back. Sneaky bitch.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I like this mentality as I've been the boyfriend in 2-3 separate occasions.

The more naive the girl is about what is going on the more annoyed I get. "What, James just wants to buy me an xbox, go out to bars with him, let him buy me jewelry and go to the mall because he is that good of a friend Sure he sends me huge rants about how I'm the only one that "gets him" and how I need a "real man" but I told him I'm not interested and he totally understands that. By the way he wants me to go out to dinner with him DON'T TELL ME I CANT HAVE FRIENDS"

It's less irritating when your partner realizes and goes "Yeah the guy is kinda creepy and all he does is talk poo poo about you despite never even meeting you"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

oh c'mon she has to know.

zegs
Aug 21, 2008

Too zegs to live
Too zegs to die
Too zegsy for this shirt
Too zegs to exist
last time i crushed on a girl my girl best friend who i confide in said i am too nice and let myself be used

so what gives be nice or not
:arghfist:

i think she meant stop letting her mulch money pot and lifts at odd hours tho butt fr no more mr nice guy lol toodle-oo :wave:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

KomodoWagon posted:

Clearly this is part of her long-term strategy to keep you holding doors for her and giving her compliments while she rides the cock carrousel behind your back. Sneaky bitch.

I dont mind as long it gives me free netflix :)

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Jesus is this thread still going? What more is there to be said than "I cant believe these people are so wrong in their mindset" and "wow that guy was scary".

Can we turn this into the new general purpose r/relationships thread instead?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

also lol that dudes would get offended at getting taken out to dinner

one of the reasons i ended up dumping my ex is because she kept on telling me she had literally no money and all she wanted to do was sit at home and watch netflix. whenever we went out, i had to go pay for it

Is this the same woman who would bring you beer? I hope not :ohdear:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I like this mentality as I've been the boyfriend in 2-3 separate occasions.

The more naive the girl is about what is going on the more annoyed I get. "What, James just wants to buy me an xbox, go out to bars with him, let him buy me jewelry and go to the mall because he is that good of a friend Sure he sends me huge rants about how I'm the only one that "gets him" and how I need a "real man" but I told him I'm not interested and he totally understands that. By the way he wants me to go out to dinner with him DON'T TELL ME I CANT HAVE FRIENDS"

It's less irritating when your partner realizes and goes "Yeah the guy is kinda creepy and all he does is talk poo poo about you despite never even meeting you"

I hate that guy. I dated a girl and her best guy friend was apparently always telling her that he didn't see us lasting for various reasons, then one night when my girlfriend and her friend were getting ready for the bar he and I were stuck in a room together and he told me he just didn't think girlfriend and I were right for each other and she'd always told him that I was a really good friend until the day he found out we were dating.

Anyway, a while after she and I broke up they started dating and living together. After a night out they got home and she was barfing and hosed up. He wanted sex and she said no, she woke up the next morning to find out he had raped her while she was passed out :stare:

Nice Guys!

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Jesus is this thread still going? What more is there to be said than "I cant believe these people are so wrong in their mindset" and "wow that guy was scary".

After the way the last r/relationships thread ended I'm not sure you want that

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Professor Shark posted:

I hate that guy. I dated a girl and her best guy friend was apparently always telling her that he didn't see us lasting for various reasons, then one night when my girlfriend and her friend were getting ready for the bar he and I were stuck in a room together and he told me he just didn't think girlfriend and I were right for each other and she'd always told him that I was a really good friend until the day he found out we were dating.

Anyway, a while after she and I broke up they started dating and living together. After a night out they got home and she was barfing and hosed up. He wanted sex and she said no, she woke up the next morning to find out he had raped her while she was passed out :stare:

Nice Guys!

You let this happen you total cvck :lol:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

wrong thread died

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KomodoWagon posted:

You let this happen you total cvck :lol:

Shut the gently caress up and no I didn't

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

Nice Guys!

:aaaaa:

Did the guy guy end up in prison or a grave? Please tell me there's a happy ending to this story.

zegs
Aug 21, 2008

Too zegs to live
Too zegs to die
Too zegsy for this shirt
Too zegs to exist

Professor Shark posted:

Shut the gently caress up and no I didn't

you got niced

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

zegs posted:

last time i crushed on a girl my girl best friend who i confide in said i am too nice and let myself be used

so what gives be nice or not
:arghfist:

i think she meant stop letting her mulch money pot and lifts at odd hours tho butt frt no more mr nice guy lol toodle-oo :wave:
It really means that you shouldn't bend over backwards to do everything you think a woman wants you to do. Kissing a woman's rear end isn't the path to eating a woman's rear end.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Leon Einstein posted:

It really means that you shouldn't bend over backwards to do everything you think a woman wants you to do. Kissing a woman's rear end isn't the path to eating a woman's rear end.

You don't have to kiss it first but it seems rude to jump right in

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

"What Happened to All the Nice Guys?"
Originally Posted: 2007-11-19 3:52am

I see this question posted with some regularity in the personals section, so I thought I'd take a minute to explain things to the ladies out there that haven't figured it out.

What happened to all the nice guys?

The answer is simple: you did.

See, if you think back, really hard, you might vaguely remember a Platonic guy pal who always seemed to want to spend time with you. He'd tag along with you when you went shopping, stop by your place for a movie when you were lonely but didn't feel like going out, or even sit there and hold you while you sobbed and told him about how horribly the (other) guy that you were loving treated you.

At the time, you probably joked with your girlfriends about how he was a little puppy dog, always following you around, trying to do things to get you to pay attention to him. They probably teased you because they thought he had a crush on you. Given that his behavior was, admittedly, a little pathetic, you vehemently denied having any romantic feelings for him, and buttressed your position by claiming that you were "just friends." Besides, he totally wasn't your type. I mean, he was a little too short, or too bald, or too fat, or too poor, or didn't know how to dress himself, or basically be or do any of the things that your tall, good-looking, fit, rich, stylish boyfriend at the time pulled off with such ease.

Eventually, your Platonic buddy drifted away, as your relationship with the boyfriend got more serious and spending time with this other guy was, admittedly, a little weird, if you werent dating him. More time passed, and the boyfriend eventually cheated on you, or became boring, or you realized that the things that attracted you to him weren't the kinds of things that make for a good, long-term relationship. So, now, you're single again, and after having tried the bar scene for several months having only encountered players and douche bags, you wonder, "What happened to all the nice guys?"

Well, once again, you did.

You ignored the nice guy. You used him for emotional intimacy without reciprocating, in kind, with physical intimacy. You laughed at his consideration and resented his devotion. You valued the aloof boyfriend more than the attentive "just-a-" friend. Eventually, he took the hint and moved on with his life. He probably came to realize, one day, that women aren't really attracted to guys who hold doors open; or make dinners just because; or buy you a Christmas gift that you mentioned, in passing, that you really wanted five months ago; or listen when you're upset; or hold you when you cry. He came to realize that, if he wanted a woman like you, he'd have to act more like the boyfriend that you had. He probably cleaned up his look, started making some money, and generally acted like more of an rear end in a top hat than he ever wanted to be.

Fact is, now, he's probably getting laid, and in a way, your ultimate rejection of him is to thank for that. And I'm sorry that it took the complete absence of "nice guys" in your life for you to realize that you missed them and wanted them. Most women will only have a handful of nice guys stumble into their lives, if that.

So, if you're looking for a nice guy, here's what you do:

1.) Build a time machine.
2.) Go back a few years and pull your head out of your rear end.
3.) Take a look at what's right in front of you and grab ahold of it.

I suppose the other possibility is that you STILL don't really want a nice guy, but you feel the social pressure to at least appear to have matured beyond your infantile taste in men. In which case, you might be in luck, because the nice guy you claim to want has, in reality, shed his nice guy mantle and is out there looking to unleash his cynicism and resentment onto someone just like you.

If you were five years younger.

So, please: either stop misrepresenting what you want, or own up to the fact that you've hosed yourself over. You're getting older, after all. It's time to excise the bullshit and deal with reality. You didn't want a nice guy then, and he certainly doesn't loving want you, now.

Sincerely,

A Recovering Nice Guy

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, cause the women would be so lucky to be with a bitter guy who thinks women should've hosed him since he opened doors for them.

I like how the boyfriends are always huge villains in these guys' heads.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
Yeah, or they act like anyone who is muscular/fit, or dresses well can't possibly be nice or intelligent. Only a sloppy guy in a t-shirt is smart enough to really get a girl, and if she has a boyfriend who doesn't fit in that mold, it's because she's a shallow whore, not because maybe someone happened to be in shape and smart or funny, or just socially well-adjusted.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

PallasAthene posted:

Yeah, or they act like anyone who is muscular/fit, or dresses well can't possibly be nice or intelligent. Only a sloppy guy in a t-shirt is smart enough to really get a girl, and if she has a boyfriend who doesn't fit in that mold, it's because she's a shallow whore, not because maybe someone happened to be in shape and smart or funny, or just socially well-adjusted.

Get swole, dress nice, don't be a weirdo.

For some reason instead of saying that we tell kids to "just be yourself" which is only good advice for people who don't need advice.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

So funny how everbody jumps on the bandwagon an the females aplaud the author for being totally one sided and saying exactly what they want to hear, while he totally disregards the other side of the story, that some females indeed are bitches who just use males when they are in the need, e.g. if their rear end in a top hat boyfriend dumped her again (because he just wanted sex and nothing more, and that was clear from the beginning for everyone except for her), perfectly knowing that the guy they are using is loner who wants a girlfriend (and sex, of course) and will do pretty much anything for her, and instead of saying “You? Never!” or just talking to another person they just throw him away after use and forget it.

I mean, how can they NOT know that he of COURSE wants to gently caress with her? That does not per se mean that he ONLY wants to gently caress with her, but maybe talking and being nice to each other is not the only thing he is dreaming of… Then there are females that just tease males to ridicule them later. That makes one bitter indeed, doesn’t it? And then, if that bitter person complains, it is all HIS fault for being an rear end in a top hat in the first place? Give me a brake, that is some flawed logic there, he only became a bitter rear end in a top hat because of what happened, because females used and abused him.

You say that being nice to get sex is creepy, but then you offer the author of this post relationships (and of course sex, a relationship without sex is not a “relationship” of the kind you were talking about when you said things like “marry me” or “i want to bone you for the next 15 years”) because he was nice and said what you want to hear, so what exactly is the difference? That he not indirectly stated that he want’s sex as a reward? Or in other words, that is Nice Guy facade is just more elaborate and well hidden so that you don’t see through it? Maybe he is of the same loser-type as the guy who wrote the rant but has just taken a different aproach by doing the opposite of what the Nice Guy Loner Jerk does, while his ultimate goals remain the same: Getting into a relationship and have sex.

You all feel relieved that you can point to the guys and say “You are the assholes” while you yourself make mistakes, totally disregard his desires and are assholes yourselves, if you follow the kind of logic that is prevailing in this discussion. For example, if you are “stalked” by a guy who wants a relationship with you, you not always give him clear signals that you will never engage in such things with him, and hope that he will realise it sooner or later, while he does not, because he is terribly in love with you (and even if he only wants sex, good lord, you all sound like you have never felt the need for sex when sex wasn’t available. Oh, but i forgot, if a girl wants to gently caress she just has to ask pretty much anybody if she is relatively good looking, and even if she is not good looking she can still ask around and on the fifth try or so she will get what she wants while a guy who asks for sex is just a perverted desire-driven rear end in a top hat. Oh wait, did that sound bitter? drat, I must be one mean kind of Former Nice Guy, I should better try to learn to communicate, and really be nice, not so cynic, that will help me, ok ok, maybe i should state clearly what i want instead of being passive-aggressive (oh poo poo, that would be sex first, relationship later, then that is not an option, dammit, my fault for having not the same priorities that are required to get sex, wich would be: Don’t desire Sex at any time, isn’t that really hosed up?)).

TL;DR: There are always two sides to a story, and it DOES matter if you are in a relationship and can talk down to people who are not, or if you are part of the folks which are not in a relationship and try like crazy to get into one only to see all their efforts crumble to dust. A rich man can lightly say that money does not really matter in life, while the poor man will certainly say the opposite. So don’t be so loving full of yourselves because you were lucky and others were not.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I let my girlfriend take me out to dinner and buy poo poo for me all the time because she makes way more money then i do :shrug:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

P-Mack posted:

Nice guys are loving stupid. I've never had a girl tell me, "Gee, I thought you were a real dummy on account of your biceps, but it turns out you are not dumb at all!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

P-Mack posted:

For some reason instead of saying that we tell kids to "just be yourself" which is only good advice for people who don't need advice.

No, the damage is mental. Changing physically won't do anything.

• Locked thread