Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Half the enemy died turn 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I would be grateful if someone would post the current great mods that are "quality of life mods" that also work with the official DLC.

I'm thinking of things like Evac All. Things that do not change the game or alter the rules, but just improve the UI (so things that make health bars work better, make grenade effect areas more visible, make equipment management easier, things like that). I don't want anything that adds non-official loot, or otherwise alters the underlying gameplay or rules.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SlyFrog posted:

I would be grateful if someone would post the current great mods that are "quality of life mods" that also work with the official DLC.

I'm thinking of things like Evac All. Things that do not change the game or alter the rules, but just improve the UI (so things that make health bars work better, make grenade effect areas more visible, make equipment management easier, things like that). I don't want anything that adds non-official loot, or otherwise alters the underlying gameplay or rules.

Gotcha Flank Preview turns the little icon that shows you can see a target into a yellow one if you'll be flanking from that position

In Game Clock so you can realize how late it's getting

EU Aim Rolls basically makes X to hit Y to crit (Z to dodge) work on 2 (3) rolls instead of one roll.

True Retroactive AWC so you don't miss out on AWC perks if you don't rush the thing.

Show Health Values Ads a discrete X/Y HP counter at the end of the HP bars. Of the two mods to give a numerical HP value instead of squinting whenever you see something with more than 5 HP. I think this one is the better looking of the two, but honestly either one is a must have compared to the vanilla solution of "shove increasingly more pips in the exact same sized HP bar" that vanilla had.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SlyFrog posted:

I really like LOS Preview Ability, which lets you see the line-of-sight from any visible tile, the movement range of any enemy, and the actual location of bodies on the ground. Also Long War Toolbox has a few game-changing options but also has nice things like giving you more camera angles.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Iron Rose posted:

how in the ever loving gently caress did you save eighteen civilians in a LW terror mission

Four out of five pods activated on enemy turn one. Pod five on enemy turn two.

By the end of my third turn, everything was dead but one floater, who never did poo poo. Floaters are weird. Crysallid could have taken down one of my guys, but he went after a civilian. The other was killed by a sudden and completely inexplicable vehicle explosion.

XCOM cannot be held liable for improper vehicle maintenance. Check your tire pressure regularly.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 13, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I decided to do another xcom 2 playthrough because I'm sick of waiting for the expansion pack. I also shelled out for the dlc pack and modded it to hell and back just for more variety. I'm actually enjoying the alien hunters dlc more than the shen one.

The SPARK just feels like a slightly less cool version of a class I already played with. The alien hunter goodies are pretty cool (the crossbow is a godsend early game) and the leaders put in a pleasant wrinkle into your usual mission routine.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I finally picked this up yesterday due to the 50% price drop on Steam and I'm hype to finally play it.

I only have one question before I start: is there a cheesy early game build order thing that makes resources easier like the satellite rush in EU and EW? If so what is it? Thanks in advance.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I don't think there's anything near the satellite rush of EU. Closest to that is making sure that you have enough Resistance Comms stations to expand your territory, but that's more planning instead of a focused rush. Most important to me is having the Guerilla Tactics School built so you can increase squad size. Building an Advanced Warfare Center early helps get injured soldiers back quicker. And I always put a Workshop in the center of the second row so that I can take advantage of the extra gremlins you can get. Engineers are a priority in the early game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks.

Next problem: Steam does not want to use my TV for audio. I have my computer hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable and I use my TV as my monitor for almost everything. I was just watching twitch a little while ago so I know the audio works fine. However when I load up XCOM 2 the audio either does not work at all or only plays through the computer speakers.

All my drivers are updated, Windows is updated, I tried using the audio troubleshooting thing and that doesn't help at all. I tried opening Playback Devices and forcing my TV to be the default audio device and that causes no sound to play at all. I guess I could hook up headphones to the computer but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a fix for it? This happened sometimes with EU and EW too and none of the fixes I used to use will work now.

:(

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I have a question.

The second of the alien rules escaped, and then a few missions later, I encountered the third. I haven't seen the second for a while now, and I'm wondering, have I lost the chance to kill the second?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

InwardChaos posted:

I have a question.

The second of the alien rules escaped, and then a few missions later, I encountered the third. I haven't seen the second for a while now, and I'm wondering, have I lost the chance to kill the second?

It should start showing back up once you kill #3. They trade off, I think.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, they show up for three missions (five on Legendary) and if you haven't killed them it moves to the next one. It then cycles back and repeats until they're all dead.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.

Speedball posted:

It should start showing back up once you kill #3. They trade off, I think.

Thanks.

I thought I might have glitched it. In the last mission I saw it in, during the reveal animation, when it slammed the ground, it apparently hit and stunned one of the Mutons. Once it escaped, I noted that none of the remaining aliens would move or attach. Made for an easy mission, but then I got concerned when it stopped showing up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Having rulers show up on VIP extraction missions can gently caress right off.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I just bought this game and I think I'm having a bug where I'm not getting supplies. I will complete missions that say they have a certain amount of supplies as a reward and they won't be added to my total on mission completion, and I didn't get my income either. Is this a known issue or is there something I'm missing? Also, I've built some new armor but none of my squadmembers seem to be able to equip it in the Loadout screen

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 14, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sharzak posted:

I just bought this game and I think I'm having a bug where I'm not getting supplies. I will complete missions that say they have a certain amount of supplies as a reward and they won't be added to my total on mission completion, and I didn't get my income either. Is this a known issue or is there something I'm missing?

By "didn't get income" do you mean "The end-of-month briefing popped up and I failed to notice that instead of arriving in an armored van my income is in a pile of boxes on the map I have to go collect?" Or did the pile'o boxes simply not appear?

if you're straight up not getting $$$ then you might want to verify the integrity of your files.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

ulmont posted:

Having rulers show up on VIP extraction missions can gently caress right off.

Having Archon King show up in Avenger defense mission can gently caress off the hardest. I could not find a way to beat it, I always ended up fighting that bastard plus his two homies and about 9 other enemies all at once. Also the beacon was behind a wall so I couldn't snipe it from range either. After a dozen attempts I had to abandon my save and start over.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Double Bill posted:

Having Archon King show up in Avenger defense mission can gently caress off the hardest. I could not find a way to beat it, I always ended up fighting that bastard plus his two homies and about 9 other enemies all at once. Also the beacon was behind a wall so I couldn't snipe it from range either. After a dozen attempts I had to abandon my save and start over.

Yeah, I'm not real thrilled with the Ruler DLC and I'll be disabling it for future playthroughs. Let me suggest you add the command line option -allowconsole and test out the "powerUp" cheat for that save file.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

ulmont posted:

Yeah, I'm not real thrilled with the Ruler DLC and I'll be disabling it for future playthroughs. Let me suggest you add the command line option -allowconsole and test out the "powerUp" cheat for that save file.

Don't disable it, they'll just spawn anyways. Keep it on and never do the mission

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally picked up the game on sale this weekend and... I think my Sectoids are broken relative to what I've seen and heard. Despite providing them with plenty of corpses, of five sectoids I've seen that have lived long enough to do anything, I've only seen one zombie. They adore mind-controlling my grenadier and shooting people with their plasma bracers, though.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Double Bill posted:

I thought they specifically disabled rulers from appearing on base defense, in response to that exact scenario? How long ago did that happen to you?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

When the game first came out, Sectoids happily resurrected zombies even when they were flanked, or were flanking someone, or other dumb things, but now they just shoot you or try to mind control your soldiers. I prefer it that way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm thinking about buying XCOM 2 while it's still on sale but I'm on the fence on account of none of the interesting-looking DLC being on sale. Are any of them good? All of them? Any of them feel essential/non-essential?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DLC #1 is cosmetic and hokey and not a lot of people are into it. We've got a significant number of people who feel Alien Hunters detracts from the game, and just as many people who have been disappointed with Shen's Gift relative to its closest relative in EW.

I wouldn't worry about the DLC. Get the game, get a feel for it, then decide whether you want the extra challenge that the DLC adds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I finally picked up the game on sale this weekend and... I think my Sectoids are broken relative to what I've seen and heard. Despite providing them with plenty of corpses, of five sectoids I've seen that have lived long enough to do anything, I've only seen one zombie. They adore mind-controlling my grenadier and shooting people with their plasma bracers, though.

The AI favored zombie raising to a comically high degree when the game came out so Firaxis edited their preferences. They'll still raise zombies fairly regularly (you're probably having a bad run of luck) but they're now much more likely to use their mindspin or even attack.

Basically they're jokes half the time (and they're horrifying when flanking, that plasma bracer hits surprisingly hard, especially for early game) as compared to being jokes all the time. Nuking the Advent soldier first is the right answer anyways since it basically means there's a 50/50 chance the Sectoid will waste his turn now (instead of near-guaranteed before). Whereas the Advent soldier has a 100% chance of shooting/overwatching/using a grenade or annoying skill (Officers: mark. Stun Lancers: running at you. Heavies: shields).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

The AI favored zombie raising to a comically high degree when the game came out so Firaxis edited their preferences. They'll still raise zombies fairly regularly (you're probably having a bad run of luck) but they're now much more likely to use their mindspin or even attack.

Basically they're jokes half the time (and they're horrifying when flanking, that plasma bracer hits surprisingly hard, especially for early game) as compared to being jokes all the time. Nuking the Advent soldier first is the right answer anyways since it basically means there's a 50/50 chance the Sectoid will waste his turn now (instead of near-guaranteed before). Whereas the Advent soldier has a 100% chance of shooting/overwatching/using a grenade or annoying skill (Officers: mark. Stun Lancers: running at you. Heavies: shields).

They really love mindspinning my lead grenadier, and have mind controlled her twice. I felt compelled to change poor Sasha's nickname from "Big Nasty" to "Manchurian" after one particularly awful mission where she gravely wounded two of the other four troopers before I could kill the sectoid - Sasha being the one with the flashbangs. :v:

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I'm thinking about buying XCOM 2 while it's still on sale but I'm on the fence on account of none of the interesting-looking DLC being on sale. Are any of them good? All of them? Any of them feel essential/non-essential?

I'll second the "hold off on buying the DLC" idea. I would definitely not want to run through the DLC missions on my first few playthroughs. Play the base game for a while. If you like it, try out some mods until the DLC goes on sale.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Wait until they are $1 on sale

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You should get the DLC for the excellent mods that come right behind them

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

NTT posted:

You should get the DLC for the excellent mods that come right behind them

I was leaning on the side of "The DLC's good stuff isn't worth the annoyances of Rulers or the mediocrity of Last Gift", but yeah if lots of mods require the DLC then it should be worth it. Mods are the only reason I can stand the game at this point. Instant Avenger menu transitions, better roster manipulation, shutting Bradford the gently caress up, free aiming AoE abilities (instead of the stupid tile snapping), unlocked soldier customization, more intuitive aim rolls, etc.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

You can also basically ignore the DLC. Don't disable the 'Nest' mission in the startup options, just ignore it when it does come up and you'll never see the Rulers.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Man area suppression would be so good if it were a free aim AoE.

Also I just had a haven siege mission. It's muton season, and IESS+ is on, and oh god this is way too many reinforcements help.

Guess something's gotta go. Probably the mission types mod? With squad size at 8 I normally don't mind the bigger alien numbers.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Anybody got input on good mods for SPARKS? Customization or general buffs welcome. Thinking of doing another playthrough again, but I didn't love them over any other soldier class as introduced.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Canopus250 posted:

Anybody got input on good mods for SPARKS? Customization or general buffs welcome. Thinking of doing another playthrough again, but I didn't love them over any other soldier class as introduced.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720053228

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do love the emergent story that goes with X-COM. Just thinking about how and why my Russian sniper picked up Hail of Bullets from the AWC...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I do love the emergent story that goes with X-COM. Just thinking about how and why my Russian sniper picked up Hail of Bullets from the AWC...

I got a Support with Kill Zone. I hope I can get some fire/poison ammo for him so I can rely on his stock to guarantee that poisons/ignites enemies with his stock.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I got a Support with Kill Zone. I hope I can get some fire/poison ammo for him so I can rely on his stock to guarantee that poisons/ignites enemies with his stock.

So far I have a Specialist with Run and Gun, a Sharpshooter (built mainly as a sniper) with Hail of Bullets, and a Grenadier with Guardian. Only just got the proving grounds up and running.

Game is enjoyably challenging on Veteran difficulty as I ease into the game, only one death so far and that was on the Blacksite getting crit through full cover by a MEC.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks.

Next problem: Steam does not want to use my TV for audio. I have my computer hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable and I use my TV as my monitor for almost everything. I was just watching twitch a little while ago so I know the audio works fine. However when I load up XCOM 2 the audio either does not work at all or only plays through the computer speakers.

All my drivers are updated, Windows is updated, I tried using the audio troubleshooting thing and that doesn't help at all. I tried opening Playback Devices and forcing my TV to be the default audio device and that causes no sound to play at all. I guess I could hook up headphones to the computer but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know of a fix for it? This happened sometimes with EU and EW too and none of the fixes I used to use will work now.

:(

Can anyone help me with this problem?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions all, I'm just going to pick up the base game for now and maybe explore the mods at a later time, maybe pick up the dlc on sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Backhand posted:

I thought they specifically disabled rulers from appearing on base defense, in response to that exact scenario? How long ago did that happen to you?

Maybe a month ago. I tried telling him to go away and stop ruining my game but he Devastate-stunned most of my team instead.