Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Diplomacy blog post.

Not a ton of new information, but it does explicitly point out there are six different specific casus belli; one is "Reconquest", which reduces warmonger penalty for declaring war to zero, but the aim is to take back cities lost in a previous war.

Also notes you get a "first impression" modifier for meeting a Civ that sticks around for a couple of dozen turns, and notes one of the hidden agendas, "Technophile", which makes a civ friendlier to you if you're leading in tech but more hostile to you if you're lagging behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Canada ahould be a city state imho.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xerxes17 posted:

Canada ahould be a city state imho.

Toronto is.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I love this information about diplomacy. I'm a peaceful player, but I still thought it was silly how warmongering was so looked down on even in the ancient eras. With the promise of diplomacy becoming more complex as eras pass gives me hope for a play style where I can pull the strings and be a puppet master. A shame about there being no Diplomatic Victory in this game after all that! Maybe something to reintroduce in an expansion pack?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why does the game look like cartoony crap :confused:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PirateBob posted:

It doesn't though?

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 16, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Put in the Inuit they can have a unique building called QuickBooks that is what they are famous for.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

PirateBob posted:

The same reason that Wind Waker was cel-shaded and Diablo III had rainbows; to make the internet mad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How it looks is like, the hundredth thing you should worry about

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PirateBob posted:

here's the thread you're looking for
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775722

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

PirateBob posted:

The bright colours are a touching call-back to a fondly remembered title in the series, Civilization 4

However it's OK if you hated Civ 4, we'll allow it. *adds PirateBob to The List*

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If you don't want Inuits then you are a massive racist imo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope that the Civ named %civ_name% has interesting, but balanced mechanics that encourage conflict with all the other Civ's whether military or economic. Note that %civ_name% is 100% arbitrary and makes no difference to the quality of the game at all.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Darth Windu posted:

If you don't want Inuits then you are a massive racist imo

Hey man... I have Inuit friends okay?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Massive racist is a bit much. I think medium racist is appropriate for not wanting the Inuits to be represented in noted turn-based strategy video game Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I bet every time an Inuit child double clicks the Civ icon they feel a little saddness that their culture isnt represented.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Touchdown Boy posted:

I bet every time an Inuit child double clicks the Civ icon they feel a little saddness that their culture isnt represented.

I as a native Texan, cry every time.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I like the map/gameplay graphics and the leaders' graphical style is fine, but a lot of the leaders' actual designs are bad

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I've played the Civ series since the start and every time a new game has come out I've thought the new look was weird and kind of ugly and then I've gotten used to it.

Actually the worst transition was between Civ and Civ II, the tilted map grid had me sitting with my head at a 45-degree angle, which got painful after a while.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't get what's so weird about not wanting lesser cultures from America and Africa to be in the game, now let me tell you about the great eastern european nation and my home country, Western Antegria

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If Poland is not in the game at release it will be grave insult!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chomp8645 posted:

If Poland is not in the game at release it will be grave insult!

Fortunately for you, the leader photo indicates that Poland will indeed be in. :v: Under Jadwiga.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress it, just do a Europe civ to make room for more other civs. Do we really need France and England?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Realtalk I would have loved a Timurid civ for central Asia almost as much as Scythia. Central Asia doesn't get enough love in these games.

In fact, give us both. If we can have Rome, the Byzantines, and the Ottomans all at once, we can have Scythia and the Timurids. Make it happen, Firaxis.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Chamale posted:

Europe civ

It's called Rome

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Gort posted:

How it looks is like, the hundredth thing you should worry about
People like good graphics.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The game's graphics are good :ssh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

People like good graphics.

Sure. But it's been "discussed" to death, it's pretty much entirely subjective, and if any genre's graphics matter less than the others, it's strategy games.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gort posted:

Sure. But it's been "discussed" to death, it's pretty much entirely subjective, and if any genre's graphics matter less than the others, it's strategy games.

:gary::wrong::yarg:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'd like some ancient african civs we have not seen already

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kassad posted:

The game's graphics are good :ssh:

Actually I think you'll find they're bad and you're bad and you should die and everyone else should die too just to be sure

Anyway... I really like the ideas behind this new espionage system. I really disliked how transparent Civ 5 was (what with demographics rankings, etc etc) and although it looks like they're introducing more transparency in Civ 6, it appears players will actually have to put some effort in first and dedicate resources to extracting the information... which is how it should be. Can't wait :allears:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rexides posted:

That's a lot of words for saying "No Inuits"

I don't see the Civ games as some kind of award of recognition for real civilizations, where someone has to prove their worth to be included in. It should be weird and diverse and fun and even when the tiny soldiers die and their cities burn in nuclear fire you don't have to contemplate anything deeper than what you are going to do on your next turn. I'd rather they remove some flavor of European Colonial Power so that they have more space for civs like the Inuit, even if it's hard to choose between, say, Germany or Netherlands.

I think their main thing was the lack of probably metals. They had dogs and p good tools. I'm not well informed but it seems like they had well developed physical and cultural techs. Things could have gone very differently and I dont' think it's saying "No Inuits" at all

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Considering what makes a Civ "unique" in these games is a couple of units/buildings and and abilities, I don't think it should be hard to find enough for any culture. Going on a world-conquering spree isn't the only thing that makes a culture relevant or interesting.

Especially for a civ like the Inuit/any arctic natives where they'd have a pretty cool unique mechanic in the form of snow poo poo (why are some of you against this? it's a totally unfilled niche throughout the series) I think there's a much stronger case for them than Yet Another European Civilization.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Realtalk I would have loved a Timurid civ for central Asia almost as much as Scythia. Central Asia doesn't get enough love in these games.

In fact, give us both. If we can have Rome, the Byzantines, and the Ottomans all at once, we can have Scythia and the Timurids. Make it happen, Firaxis.

They had Mongols and Huns in Civ V, who are markedly more similar than Scythians and Timurids (who lived 2000 years apart) were. Timurids would be a pretty cool civ yeah.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
There's a very good a rather well-known book called Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed which has a fair bit about the Norse settlements on Greenland and their interactions with the Inuit. The full text is here: https://archive.org/stream/CollapseHowSocietiesChooseToFailOrSucceed/Collapse-_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed_djvu.txt

Of note (and also with a mention of iron):

quote:

What about relations between the Inuit and the Norse? Incredibly, during
the centuries that those two peoples shared Greenland, Norse annals in-
clude only two or three brief references to the Inuit.

The first of those three annal passages may refer to either the Inuit or
else Dorset people because it describes an incident from the 1 1th or 12th
century, when a Dorset population still survived in Northwest Greenland,
and when the Inuit were just arriving. A History of Norway preserved in a
15th-century manuscript explains how the Norse first encountered Green-
land natives: "Farther to the north beyond the Norse settlements, hunters
have come across small people, whom they call skraelings. When they are
stabbed with a nonfatal wound, their wounds turn white and they don't
bleed, but when they are mortally wounded, they bleed incessantly. They
have no iron, but they use walrus tusks as missiles and sharp stones as
tools."

Brief and matter-of-fact as this account is, it suggests that the Norse had
a "bad attitude" that got them off to a dreadful start with the people with
whom they were about to share Greenland. "Skraelings," the Old Norse
word that the Norse applied to all three groups of New World natives that
they encountered in Vinland or Greenland (Inuit, Dorset, and Indians),
translates approximately as "wretches." It also bodes poorly for peaceful re-
lations if you take the first Inuit or Dorset person whom you see, and you
try stabbing him as an experiment to figure out how much he bleeds.
Recall
also, from Chapter 6, that when the Norse first encountered a group of Indi-
ans in Vinland, they initiated friendship by killing eight of the nine. These
first contacts go a long way towards explaining why the Norse did not estab-
lish a good trading relationship with the Inuit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean if you meet a new person and they aren't up for a friendly greeting stab then they're not worth knowing imo. :colbert:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's a very good a rather well-known book called Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed which has a fair bit about the Norse settlements on Greenland and their interactions with the Inuit. The full text is here: https://archive.org/stream/CollapseHowSocietiesChooseToFailOrSucceed/Collapse-_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed_djvu.txt

Of note (and also with a mention of iron):

this is a jared diamond-free space tyvm

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Norse were willing to do whatever it took to make sure they were the ones included in a popular video game hundreds of years later.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Skraeling civ

Resistance to non-fatal stabbings

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

I as a native Texan, cry every time.

But barbarian have always been represented in Civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I think their main thing was the lack of probably metals.

It's a story almost too kickin' rad to be believed, but the inuit actually made extensive use of some iron meteorites and cold forged them into tools. They traded with cultures to the south for native copper. The tools are characteristically crude of course, but it is a neat piece of history and according to some recent research, the inuit killed to get their hands on this stuff.