Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Good luck to Dangersim in his fight against Chris Avila this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dangersim posted:

An my reaponse to that would be that the nate you saw in the mcgregor fight is the same nate you always get. He dought a shorter southpaw with good boxing literally 3 months before.

Cool, yes, stylistically he looked much the same in both fights, but in the MJ fight he looked much sharper. Which was all I was saying, that with a full camp Nate is probably not going to be as slow and sloppy as he looked in the first round of the McGrego match.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 17, 2016

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

threeagainstfour posted:

Cool, yes, stylistically he looked much the same in both fights, but in the MJ fight he looked much sharper. Which was all I was saying, that with a full camp Nate is probably not going to be as slow and sloppy as he looked in the first round of the McGregor.

Good, I may not agree but i can respect that you give me an mma related answer instead of insults.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It irks me how many people think that when Conor said "I feel I was simply inefficient with my energy" he wasn't straight up admitting he gassed out

e: not necessarily people in this thread recently

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[colemanly] FUUUUUCK. gently caress.
hey those insanely low T readings could've been from...an anomaly...in...providence

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak posted:

He mostly fought at LW in Cage Warriors in the UK and was the LW champion there, won most of his fights by KO against his b-league opponents, and returned to FW when he was signed by the UFC

Cool, thanks for that.

I was just confused at the time because his wiki page makes special note of the lightweight bouts as if there were only a few scattered through his career and I couldn't find a simple chart with all of his fights and the weight class the bouts occurred at and I sincerely wanted Dangerism to share it with me if he knew of one heh.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I agree generally with what manyak and Dangersim are saying about how Diaz looked like Diaz and there is not a whole lot in terms of skill or technique we should see differently out of him for this fight. But what's important to note is we don't really see Diaz rematches very often, do he's got a rhythm figured out before the fight even starts. So unless Conor really is lying when he says his only plan to do anything differently is have better cardio and be more patient with his strikes, then Diaz knows exactly what Conor is going to have for him and those changes McGregor promises to bring will either be insufficient (maybe an extra round or so of cardio won't do much vs Nate) or actually possibly detrimental (if he holds back to conserve energy to try and ride to a decision he is going to play into Diaz' strength and get beat up unless he has Condit level master footwork and distance control, and even that fell apart somewhat for Condit in the deep rounds.)

So Diaz may just do what he's going to do and he may or may not start a little earlier but he's going to have an uncharacteristic edge for a Diaz bro in that he knows exactly what McGregor has to offer and he already knows what he can do to McGregor in return.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

Cool, thanks for that.

I was just confused at the time because his wiki page makes special note of the lightweight bouts as if there were only a few scattered through his career and I couldn't find a simple chart with all of his fights and the weight class the bouts occurred at and I sincerely wanted Dangerism to share it with me if he knew of one heh.

I aplogize i must have missed it because i wasnt trying to ignore you.

Ill be honest i dont even remember where I saw it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I think people get too caught up with the condit comparison, the real fight you should look at is the josh thompson fight.

Nick and nate are not carbon copies of each other.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hard work beats talent when talent refuses to leave iceland

Speaking of that, the first day of my Icelandic vacation coincides with the fight. Where do I go to stalk Gunnar Nelson? Willie D, do you have any tips on how to approach?

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I think people get too caught up with the condit comparison, the real fight you should look at is the josh thompson fight.

How good are Conor's bitch noises?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dangersim posted:

Why am I not surprised, motherfucker, that you think that fight of all fights is the "real fight you should look at" instead of the actual fight they just fought?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Well yeah but McGregor, Thomson and Condit are not all carbon copies of each other either, so no comparison will be 100% accurate. But I'd say the fight where Nate Diaz decisively finished Conor McGregor is ultimately more relevant to the rematch than the fight where Nate got KO'd by Thomson, and I'd say when McGregor's confessed strategy is to take it slow and last longer then the fight where Carlos Condit took it slow to decision Nate Diaz' stylistically similar brother is more relevant than a fight where Josh Thomson traded with Nate early and landed a KO halfway through the second.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

manyak posted:

At this point i think everyone has just decided its funnier to try to make you mad than actually talk to you lol. Youll just have to wait until Conor wins, which is like a 50-55% shot, and even then it wont be that satisfying because everyone will just move on to the next thing like when he beat Aldo after years of everyone here claiming he never could

I don't really see why you would have Conor as a favourite

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

attackmole posted:

Speaking of that, the first day of my Icelandic vacation coincides with the fight. Where do I go to stalk Gunnar Nelson? Willie D, do you have any tips on how to approach?

According to instagram Gunni's toilet has an outlet for your phone beside it so he seems like a cool guy and you can probably go with a direct or plumbing approach.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Ok thats not at all what im saying. People keep saying thqt conor should fight like condit did against nick. Im saying that he should look to the thompson/nate fight for answers.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Then my question to you is what should Conor do to execute the Josh Thomson "be long and land a head kick ko" gameplan that wouldn't lead to basically the same ending McGregor/Diaz 1 instead?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

What about it? Josh Thompson repeatedly switches stances, doesn't throw for minutes on end, and doesnt fight like mcgregor in any way

Has anyone else seen that fight? He caught nate because he kept bouncing between two stances and throwing kicks when nate did exasperated shoulder shrugs

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
Conors key to victory is gently caress off back to featherweight

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Most pressingly, why does anyone have to say how nates improved for the rematch of a fight he easily won via submission lol. Shameful.

NTRKouhai
Apr 25, 2014

TL Note: Keikaku means Moo
I really hope that Conor losses again and goes back to the attitude he had when he was a new prospect trying to make a name for himself. His poo poo talking game has been on loop for so long after he beat Mendes. He's STILL trying to act like he's some sort of unbeatable force and that only people who "win the lotto" can beat him.

Plus the Diaz brothers have always been cool as hell and finally having both of them be around the same level of stardom is amazing and I never want this reality to end.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Then my question to you is what should Conor do to execute the Josh Thomson "be long and land a head kick ko" gameplan that wouldn't lead to basically the same ending McGregor/Diaz 1 instead?

vainman posted:

What about it? Josh Thompson repeatedly switches stances, doesn't throw for minutes on end, and doesnt fight like mcgregor in any way

Has anyone else seen that fight? He caught nate because he kept bouncing between two stances and throwing kicks when nate did exasperated shoulder shrugs

He backed up and tried to catch nate coming in.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Ugh this whole deal again

Also I think conor is probably the favorite to win this time, too

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Dangersim posted:

I guess so but he was like, really really patient and refused to get into any boxing exchanges. The few times they started punching he dived into the clinch like his life depended on it. I have a hard time imagining Conor fighting like that instead of just working on his boxing and googling popular insults for californians

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hey does any body have any idea what the gently caress this means

https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/765665756646297600

How would the peds Jones got caught using suddenly become something different? Did Jesus wave his hand and turn estrogen blockers into protein powder?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

attackmole posted:

Willie died and is now rummaging through the great JT trash bin in the sky

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

NTRKouhai posted:

I really hope that Conor losses again and goes back to the attitude he had when he was a new prospect trying to make a name for himself. His poo poo talking game has been on loop for so long after he beat Mendes. He's STILL trying to act like he's some sort of unbeatable force and that only people who "win the lotto" can beat him.

I wouldn't say so - if anything I'd say his poo poo talk has been far more tempered as of late. This time prior to their first fight there were posts every day about who said what. They even had their own press conference.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

He had Jeremy Stephens on a few weeks ago and of all things for Rogan to suddenly get skeptical on he called out Alkaline water as bullshit when Stephens started talking about how drinks it all the time and has one of those Alkalizer machines at home.

It's a really good episode though and Jeremy Stephens is a pretty great guest.

And now for a word from our sponsors, pills made from mushrooms we collect in the woods. They make your brain smarter. It totally works, guys.

also lol:

https://twitter.com/AliAbdelaziz00/status/765669545541459968

Good luck with that.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 17, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

This may allow Conor to negate the reach advantage and land better punches. It could also leave him biting on feints and getting hosed up with jabs. It's a cool fight.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

red19fire posted:

And now for a word from our sponsors, pills made from mushrooms we collect in the woods. They make your brain smarter. It totally works, guys.

also lol:

Good luck with that.

Ali Abdel Aziz is the dumbest gently caress

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This may allow Conor to negate the reach advantage and land better punches. It could also leave him biting on feints and getting hosed up with jabs. It's a cool fight.

:agreed:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
lol looks like hes in the process of doing more dumb poo poo

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dangersim posted:

This is Conor's key to victory imo. Out pressuring a Diaz will not work, he's gotta hang back and let nate come to him. He used to fight like like this more--it's how he knocked out Aldo but didn't see as much during the Siver and Mendez fights as we had before then

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Sharzak posted:

This is Conor's key to victory imo. Out pressuring a Diaz will not work, he's gotta hang back and let nate come to him. He used to fight like like this more--it's how he knocked out Aldo but didn't see as much during the Siver and Mendez fights as we had before then

The counter lefts he landed when Nate over committed to his 1 2 and tried to step in on it were far and away the hardest shots he landed in the first fight. I think enough of those could put Nate out.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

threeagainstfour posted:

Cool, thanks for that.

Yeah, as far as I can tell the list of his lightweight opponents are:

Gary Morris
Mo Taylor
Jo Duffy
Hugh Brady
Mike Wood (?)
Aaron Jahnsen

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

red19fire posted:

also lol:

Good luck with that.

who is this guy? like, what's his significance?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Im glad someone asked because i didnt want to ask or look it up

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Eat Bum Zen posted:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=MB...epage&q&f=false

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

threeagainstfour posted:

The counter lefts he landed when Nate over committed to his 1 2 and tried to step in on it were far and away the hardest shots he landed in the first fight. I think enough of those could put Nate out.

Yeah. Part of me thinks Kavanaghs bulletproof 100% gameplan that he's been talking up so much is just to do this rather than set up that right uppercut like he was working so hard for in their first fight. I think committing hard to counterpunching and playing the patient game rather than believing your hands have literal magic powers can win Mcgregor this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Eat Bum Zen posted:

mma manager, former WSOF executive, sleazeball, snitch

• Locked thread