Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, it's probably about time to sort the dungeon running out. If you're interested in doing any dungeons in the LP, then drop me a message with your character name or share it in the thread. You can also probably just message me on Twitter too. Make sure to share your availability as well!

Regarding play times, I'm based in the UK which is in the GMT+01 timezone right now. Generally, I'd find it easier to play on a very late Saturday or a Sunday until like 11pm in my time, but I'll try to fit you in if you'd prefer a different time. Thursdays are typically good as well too. If I can get a fix on when most of you are available, I'll probably start with the most common time and slowly try to get at least a run with everyone at some point.

As an additional note, let me know if you want to add any commentary to the runs that we do together. Anyone interested in doing that is more than welcome to.

I'll likely run the first dungeon ahead of the goon runs so that I can make sure the format I have in mind works. I think it'd be helpful for you all to know how it'll be presented. Feedback will be especially appreciated on the dungeon runs, but I do want to remind everyone that I openly welcome feedback on the LP as a whole too. It's my first time, so I wanna make sure it's good!

e: New update on the last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I assume the gold saucer's not really much use until you can start breeding chocobos.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh Merlwyb :allears: We'll need a video of the cutscene when you do the Leviathan quest. You know the one.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That's a neat tidbit about 1.0. Could you jump from the Aftcastle to the aertheryte in Limsa? I've always wanted to do that.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I assume the gold saucer's not really much use until you can start breeding chocobos.

There's actually tons you can do without chocobos, and, best part, you can start getting on your way to breeding chocobos *now*. Gold Saucer can trap players from level 15 onward!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Haha, I didn't know breeding chocobos was actually a thing in FFXV. Guess I should've guessed.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Charlett posted:

There's actually tons you can do without chocobos, and, best part, you can start getting on your way to breeding chocobos *now*. Gold Saucer can trap players from level 15 onward!

Yup. I remember on the Subreddit some guy got Fenrir (which is one of the two most expensive items in the Gold Saucer, at 1,000,000 MGP, tied with a certain spikey-haired Triple Triad Card I still need), and he hadn't even gotten to 25 yet.

Edit: Rather than double post, I'm gonna put a bit of my $.02 about the Gold Saucer while it's fresh in my mind.

The Gold Saucer is pretty fun and also provides a couple examples of how... unfun the community can be. The Gold Saucer, with one game in particular, I often see reviled because... it provides 0 benefit to you as a Raider. The area is 110% optional, and is meant to be a fun diversion, which is very important in an MMO. Unfortunately, there is a vocal portion of the community that will hate anything to do with the Gold Saucer (and oftentimes events. The Announcement of the Yo-Kai Watch! event has spawned hilarious amounts of salt) because it doesn't help gear people up, and gets in the way of developing the 'right' content for the game (read: Raids). The argument, with Lords of Verminion held up as the gold standard for this (is that a pun?), is that any content that is not raid content directly harms the game because it takes away from raid content. How? Because the developers who were wasting their time making minigames to keep players interested in the game could have instead been developing the next wing of the current raid content. Which isn't really the case since they are different departments, so to speak. The presence of one doesn't make the other worse.

The other problem though, is the community essentially cheating in the Tournaments for Triple Triad and Lord of Verminion. These tournaments are point-based. Beat someone, or lose to someone, and you get points. Highest points at the end of the week wins. It is sadly a very common practice for people to 'cheat', by win-trading. Which is how you get the ridiculous number of points the winners get. Now, even then participation is still good. Even if you grind all 45 of your tournament matches against an NPC, you're still walking away with nice prizes. Just not the guaranteed Platinum card that you get for getting in the top 3.

All this said: The Gold Saucer is very good for the health of the game. Despite what the nay-sayers will claim, you need some level of non-raid, non-dungeon content in your MMO to keep players interested month to month. It's one of the reasons World of Warcraft introduced Battle Pets. It's so that you, as a player, don't run into the 'Well, I'm fully geared. No need to do dungeons. Not raiding tonight. Sooo... why bother playing the game right now?' as often. You can always go to the Gold Saucer, or participate in this month's Event, and kill time, enjoy yourself, and be more likely to keep that subscription coming in.

I could honestly probably get more detailed about the Gold Saucer and such, but I feel like I've already stepped on Crash's toes a bit too much right now. :sweatdrop:

SkyTalon2314 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 14, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Nah, you're not. So long as it doesn't spoil much of anything outside of the gold saucer; go wild.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

Okay, it's probably about time to sort the dungeon running out. If you're interested in doing any dungeons in the LP, then drop me a message with your character name or share it in the thread. You can also probably just message me on Twitter too. Make sure to share your availability as well!

Regarding play times, I'm based in the UK which is in the GMT+01 timezone right now. Generally, I'd find it easier to play on a very late Saturday or a Sunday until like 11pm in my time, but I'll try to fit you in if you'd prefer a different time. Thursdays are typically good as well too. If I can get a fix on when most of you are available, I'll probably start with the most common time and slowly try to get at least a run with everyone at some point.

As an additional note, let me know if you want to add any commentary to the runs that we do together. Anyone interested in doing that is more than welcome to.

I'll likely run the first dungeon ahead of the goon runs so that I can make sure the format I have in mind works. I think it'd be helpful for you all to know how it'll be presented. Feedback will be especially appreciated on the dungeon runs, but I do want to remind everyone that I openly welcome feedback on the LP as a whole too. It's my first time, so I wanna make sure it's good!

Oh wow, had no idea that you were UK based as well. If you're ever playing around in Phoenix I'll be around on Skar Fenoris more often than not. Bit of background on the EU data center Chaos (the cluster that Phoenix is a part of): It used to be based somewhere in the US, but then they moved last year for better EU region connectivity. Of course, this had caused the cluster to take a bit of a hit when it came to the numbers of people playing the game due to lag since some of those playing on the servers were based in the US (and sometimes that connectivity can be total rear end). It's still lively though (which you can tell when you come back from a long hiatus and EVERY loving HOUSE IS TAKEN AGAIN GODDAMNIT ALL!) So that's fun.

As for participation, I'll have a go at rolling another character, probably roll and remake my stream character for the purposes of the LP (which'd be Arytiss Slathalinar for those who haven't seen them) and will be happy to participate in any way. In terms of availability, I should be good all times that you're good for, but if you want to talk further on it I'm following you on Twitter, so you can DM me at any point for anything further. And I'm good for commentary or no, I have obviously been doing solo so far with my stream VOD's mostly. As for the LP so far, I think you're doing brilliant, definite improvement over the last time: Faster flowing, less road blocks, more informative and with a touch of humour as well. Certainly more humour than my videos.

Speaking of, since we've passed the mark on the airship sequence, Video 3 of my playthrough is now LP-safe for the purposes of spoiler-free viewing. After the coverage of the Gold Saucer in the next update, so will Video 4. There is a tiny bit of progress in the story, but it is so insignificant in regards to actual, meaningful content in regards to story progression from where we left off, I think it would be fine to give it the green flag. Of course, I will check with CrashScreen to make sure of that.

Fun fact: I named a racing chocobo on one of my alts "Star Platinum".

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

TiamosLoren posted:

After the coverage of the Gold Saucer in the next update, so will Video 4. There is a tiny bit of progress in the story, but it is so insignificant in regards to actual, meaningful content in regards to story progression from where we left off, I think it would be fine to give it the green flag. Of course, I will check with CrashScreen to make sure of that.

The next update will cover that little bit of progression anyway, so that will be totally okay.

TiamosLoren posted:

Fun fact: I named a racing chocobo on one of my alts "Star Platinum".

I almost feel like this is a rite of passage. I rolled with Star Platinum for my first chocobo too, and I've seen so many of them since then.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Here's a little something a little bit different while I still work on the next update. I was hoping to have had it up yesterday, but two days before the expected update isn't too bad I suppose.

Seasonal Events 2014: Moonfire Faire (and bonus 2013 Moonfire Faire)
The Moonfire Faire is an annual seasonal event that comes around roughly every August. It's essentially the Summer Seasonal Event. The 2016 event is currently going on and it's a rad as gently caress power rangers event, but I think you get the most out of it when you know who the characters are. It's also kind of neat to look at how the event has progressed. I'll be jumping all the way back to 2014, which is the start of a loosely connected storyline surrounding the season.

Click to play: Moonfire Faire Theme

The 2014 event started in Limsa Lominsa's Upper Decks, and required you to be level 15. When Aggro arrived in Limsa, she made her way to the Lower Decks to get access to the elevator to meet the Admiral. We've not been to the Upper Decks before, but it's foggy so there isn't too much to see right now.

There was a Moonfire Faire in 2013, shortly after A Realm Reborn's launch, and there were a couple in 1.0. I barely touched 1.0, so I won't be showing that off. Similarly, I wasn't really thinking of LP'ing an MMO back in 2013, but I have some screenshots I can share in the bonus. The event was pretty barebones anyway.

The actual festival is hosted by the Adventurers' Guild, and was originally meant to chase some giant, self-detonating sentient bombs away from the shores of La Noscea. This happened five years ago, before The Calamity. Except, that was also five years before the 2013 event too. It's also five years before this year's event. You know what? Let's not get hung up on the details here. I mean, how many birthdays have each of The Simpsons had? It's the same principle here.

To participate in the event, the Chaperone tells Crash to dress for the occasion and then speak to the Moonfire Faire's Chief Chaperone. To get the yukata, you actually need to buy it with gil, but a single blue lord's yukata is only 59 gil. That's chump change, even for players who have just entered the city.

Crash is looking very short, but also smart in his new yukata. Since this was back in 2014, it'll be two more years before he takes a sip of that sweet, sweet Fantasia. Fortunately, the time bubble means that Aggro has missed nothing. There's three varations of this outfit too, but I'll just show off the looks later. Let's move on.

Haermaga is the chairman of the event, and a very passionate one at that. He's worried about how the guild is perceived by the public, and wants a real adventurer to show everyone what they're about. This year's 2014's Moonfire Faire was all about trying to improve the guild's image. But who is the target audience for this event?

Of course! The children! Fortunately, this isn't a Cavia game so we won't be sending those children out to do meager slaying quests or anything dangerous.

"So we figured - or one of the other chaperones figured, I don't go to all the meetings - there should be three adventuring events. There's a prize for each one, and we'd be extra appreciative if you do all three!"

The English localization team are known for adding a lot of flavour to the game. I wonder if he was like this in the Japanese version?

The quest is complete once Haermaga tells us what the deal with the event is. We're then given the choice to choose one of three quests. Each one involves a different activity from the others, and honestly, I kind of digged this. See, these quests are a little different to the usual fare I'd have to do behind the scenes. This means none of the you that haven't played the game will appreciate this. They also reward you with one of three variations of the yukata that are quest-only. To get them now, you'll need to buy them from the Mogstation as a micro-transaction.

Let's do these one at a time.

First up, the Drench It event! Also, as a little note, it's hard cutting out any of Haermaga's dialogue. I really enjoy it.

"Most folk think we adventurers just slay demons and punish miscreants. Nothing wrong with that - if I don't mete out a good beating once a moon, I go a bit crazy - but we've other skills that are going mostly unused. Fighting fire's one of the big ones."

Basically, Crash has got to show off a little fire fighting to show how flexible he is. It's certainly a more interesting way than delivering orders at a bar or collecting ore at a mine. The event is located in lower La Noscea, near the Blind Iron Mines. Time to go to a new place that we can't appreciate in the fog! I won't bother explaining the journey, since we'll likely get to that later. It's not like this event can be done anymore.

Crash arrives to find a family fawning over over the show. I don't show enough off the pop-up dialogue in this LP, but they can be really fun. In any case, Crash needs to speak to Ethelia.

You might be wondering what an elbst is?

Why, this is! They're typically mounted by Sahagin - one of the two beast tribes causing trouble in La Noscea - and they're pretty cool. It's possible to keep one later, but not of this more tropical variety.

The aim for this particular event is to put out the pillars of fire scattered around the north area of lower La Noscea. Nearby will be Lominsans ready to get soaked because it's apparently a roaster today, even though it's foggy and nearly 8pm. As a Scotsman, I can't imagine what the weather is like on the island of Vylbrand.

Prodding the elbst will make it spit out a lot of water. This is a thing only the seasonal elbst can perform, sad to say. We'll at least get to see it again in this year's 2016's a future event. After soaking three groups of onlookers, Crash returns to Ethelia to get his reward.

Presented without comment.

"Haermaga's the one who started in on the "do it for the children" bit. He goes about pretending it was someone else's idea, but he's not fooling me. Families have turned out for the faire in droves thanks to him. Anyway, I'd better give you your reward. You're welcome back among the Moonfire Marines any time."

Crash gets to pick one set of ten out of three variations of sparklers. Each sparkler set's colour is inspired by a city-state. In any case, That's one down. Two more to go.

Haermaga, are you giving Crash a thumbs up or are you trying to grab his head?

To help get the approval of parents, Haermaga wants to create a family friendly atmosphere. Since slaying demons and monsters with swords isn't very family friendly; Haermaga opted for slaying demons with cannons and explosions instead. Crash has to find a Lalafell by the name of Mayaru Moyaru in the Salt Strand in lower La Noscea. The Salt Strand is actually pretty cool, but it's 11.30pm and the fog still hasn't cleared, so that'll be another time.

Just like with the elbst event, this event seems to be popular among the kids.

The aim of the event is to smack two Womandragora's and one Sabotender Fugitivo in the face, right in front of a live audience. This event is actually a little tricky. First, you should notice the glowing orange circle hovering around near the middle of the screen. That's where Crash will be firing.

Furthermore, the cannon fire has a casting time. Throw in your connection, and this can be a potentially frustrating event. To hit them, you need to essentially learn the path of your target and consider the ~2 second delay before launching a cannon ball.

A successful hit will update your objectives and deal zero damage to the foe. This is a family friendly event after all.

Honestly, once you get a feel for it you shouldn't have too much trouble. Also, I'm totally talking as if this event can still be done. Sorry!

Mayaru is happy with the performance, and rewards Crash with a bunch of Lominsan Sparklers. One more left to go! It's time to return to Limsa.

The decorations can be very pretty.

Haermaga wants Crash to get in some bomb disposal work over in middle La Noscea.

I don't think I need to show the excited kids anymore. In this event, Crash has to knock some blank bombards into gunpowder-packed mortars which well then blow up the bombards and turn them into fireworks. It's all very exciting, and also very morbid when you remember that bombards are actually alive in this world.

This was honestly the event I had the most difficult time with, for some reason. Rewatching the footage, I kind of failed at this one a lot. Crash is to strike a bombard, which will launch it dependent on his position to it. If he's facing even slightly away one of the mortars, then the bomb won't go in. Furthermore, it's also easy to knock a bombard past a mortar.

It's also possible for Crash to be a dumb clutz and knock the bomb behind him.

Eventually, Crash gets a successful hit in and lights up the sky. You only need to do this once for each time you accept the quest, so it's a good way to farm pinwheels if you can get good at it.

J'nangho comments about how the faire feels like it has a lot of heart in it this year. It sounds like Haermaga's been doing a good job. Speaking of Haermaga; Crash has finished participating in each event. It's probably time to go speak to him again.

Haermaga seems to be lost in thought when Crash arrives.

After he recollects himself, he praises Crash for all the good work he's done.

"Oh, you're going to like this! I ordered a tip-top set of fireworks out of my own purse, and that's not all. I'll also teach you a Far Eastern dance more bautiful than anything you've ever seen!"

Haermaga asks Crash to speak to the first chaperone about the reward, because he would be too tempted to set off the fireworks himself had he not given it to someone else. Fair enough. Let's go do that. As per the rules of the event, Crash must continue to wear the blue lord's yukata.

The chaperone isn't quite ready to give Crash his reward yet though. It turns out that Haermaga has been waiting for someone, and is worried if she's lost or will show. The chaperone figures that the person will likely be at the restaurant known as the Bismarck if she's around. I like the dude, so it makes sense to help him out here.

It turns out that the mysterious person that Haermaga is waiting for is a merchant from Ul'dah. Instead of seeing her job through to the end, she requests that Crash deliver her package. She's got a guest waiting at a table that she's looking to charm. It's nice to see some things don't change about Ul'dahn merchants. But wait, she does have something interesting to add.

It actually took until this moment before I actually remembered what happened in the short story for the event.

"The boy? As I understand it, Master Haermaga befriended him several years ago. A band of adventurers was attending the Bombard menace, I believe. The local children would come to spectate, and he was among them. His name was Chadwick and he'd decided he wanted to be an adventurer."

It turns out that Haermaga had mentored young Chadwick, and promised him to take him to Limsa to experience the Moonfire Faire. This might explain Haermaga's fixation with making a family friendly and fun event. Sadly, this is not a happy tale.

"But the gods are cruel; his illness finally took him. In the last moon of his life, the boy asked me about the Far East. He had dreamed of adventuring there, I think, him and Master Haermaga together. He asked that I find a certain Eastern item and take it to the master, along with a message."

She hands over something to Crash.

"I've got it right here - a twisted hachimaki of the Far East, worn by warriors in a traditional dance of prowess. Take it to Master Haermaga, and these words of the boy's, too: '"I've gone East. You'll always be my best friend.""

:smith:

"Hm? You have something for me? But I'm to give you rewards, not the other way around. On the other hand, I always like a present!"

Crash interrupts him, and hands over the key item. Even though Crash is mute to us, he also gives Haermaga the message.

Soundtrack ends.

"East..."

Click to play: Tranquility

"Finally, we figured it was safer to just have this boy doing chores instead of falling out of trees. You never saw such joy! All Chadwick wanted was to sign his name in the big book at Revenant's Toll - all he wanted."

This comment would make a little bit more sense if we did this after completing the A Realm Reborn campaign, but eh, details.

"We knew after the first day. "The canker is in him," my friend said. "Too deep to cut out, too strong to poison." But I felt... I felt in my bones that Chadwick and I were meant to journey together. So how could he possibly die?"

"Who's to say the dead don't travel? If the Twelve had any sense, they'd keep the young ones out of their mighty halls and out adventuring in the sun and under the moon. Else they'd be underfoot, eh?"

Crash nods in agreement.

Click to play: Moonfire Faire Theme

And that's a wrap on 2014's Moonfire Faire. See you next time. :sadwave:

All event footage video - Footage of all three of the recyclable quests.
Cutscene footage - Footage of the final cutscene.
Bomb Dance emote video - Ages back, I captured and uploaded this footage of the bomb dance, seasonal event music, and fireworks. You can check out the dance steps from that. Don't ask why I captured and uploaded this when I did. I don't know either.

Basically, all the 2013 Moonfire Faire event turned out to be was just a FATE farming event. The bombard king had returned after five years, and adventurers had to help the Cascadiers fend him off. You wouldn't actually fight the king itself, but rather, you'd focus your efforts on the smaller bombards that swarm in.

The idea is that there are 100 Cascadiers that will fight the king, and you must protect them from any additional enemies. It's basically just a glorified "kill all monsters" quest. The FATE itself was named Return of the King, because the English localization is a bit like that, and was in eastern La Noscea.

Completing the FATE would grant you Wet Bombard Ash (the quantity varying depending on your performance in the FATE). Handing those items over to special NPC vendors found in each city would allow you to purchase swimwear fire resistant uniform and sparklers. Obtaining certain items would grant you with the Cascadier Reborn achievement, which will unlock the Elite Cascadier title for your character.

I wasn't kidding when I said it was barebones, but it came out almost at launch of the game. Most of the items, if not all of them, were originally from the 1.0 events and this was a new way to redistribute them. While unavailable now, you can get them on the Mogstation for a small fee.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 9, 2016

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

The actual festival is hosted by the Adventurers' Guild, and was originally meant to chase some giant, self-detonating sentient bombs away from the shores of La Noscea. This happened five years ago, before The Calamity. Except, that was also five years before the 2013 event too. It's also five years before this year's event. You know what? Let's not get hung up on the details here. I mean, how many birthdays have each of The Simpsons had? It's the same principle here.

Seems with these events they get caught in a time loop where time never seems to progress from year to year...despite each acknowledging a new year in some form. Frankly, this gives me flashbacks of the TV Pokemon series, and how Ash is still loving 10 years old in Black/White series despite a number of seasons, birthdays and major events happening.

Actually one of my pet peeves that makes me want to burn things...not as much as another thing I've threatened to set on fire, but close enough.

One thing I do like about this game, at least, is how the events have become a little more involved over the years. You got the example in that one of 2013-2014 comparisons, but even comparing it to this year, it just feels a lot more engaging in comparison. When I did this back in 2014 (holy hell, that's hard for me to remember, by the way), I found it was a neat little distraction for, like...an hour and then I moved on with my levelling because there was nothing else worth going for. This year has several rewards that, actually, are rather interesting for various reasons. I would splatter out about them but I don't know if Crash wants to cover it or not (and I will probably do so for my stream if I ever recall to do it in time because my life is hell right now).

I still want another Rising event though. Last years was the highlight of the year for me.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

e: New update on the last page.

Are you going to do it like you planned originally, where you set your language to german in the duty finder so anyone on the same... uh... supershard... whatever the big server is called can play, or are you making it just for people on midgardsormr now?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

TiamosLoren posted:

Seems with these events they get caught in a time loop where time never seems to progress from year to year...despite each acknowledging a new year in some form.

My guess is so they don't want to mess with new players by having the Calamity be continually Five Years Ago but in annual events they'd be saying it's seven or eight or ten. There is a confirmed progression of time as the story goes on, at least.

It's kind of like how according to FF11's ingame clock it's currently the year 1257 and the Crystal War, its major storyline-pivotal event, happened twenty years ago, in 862.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 19, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

An in-game day is 72 minutes long, and there's 384 days in an in-game year. So on the third anniversary of ARR, a little under 56 years will have passed in-game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry. The actual update is coming a bit later than expected. I actually crashed during the night while trying to finish it. It should be up sometime today.

Gloomy Rube posted:

Are you going to do it like you planned originally, where you set your language to german in the duty finder so anyone on the same... uh... supershard... whatever the big server is called can play, or are you making it just for people on midgardsormr now?

I can certainly still work with people on the same data center. Midgardsormr is on Aether, which means anyone on Gilgamesh, Balmung, Cactuar, Faerie, Sargatanus, Siren, Goblin, Adamantoise, Coeurl, Mateus or Zalera can give this a shot. So long as everyone that tries this method is aware that it's not a guaranteed success, I am down with it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

We're back to our regularly scheduled content with a return to the main scenario. I'll probably show off the rest of the Moonfire Faire seasonal stuff before the event ends next week, but it's really just an extra thing between the updates I would be doing anyway.

Chapter XIX: Curiosity killed the Coeurl

Click to play: Gridania Theme (Day)

So, the last time we left Aggro was in Gridania. She'd completed her task as Envoy of Ul'dah, and now has nothing to do. Fortunately, it looked like the Serpent Officer here might have some work for her.

"While you were there, did you happen to meet Baderon, the proprietor of the Drowning Wench? Well, I am told that he has a task for a capable adventurer. I know not what the task entails, but I daresay the Flame General's personal envoy would make a fine candidate."

Baderon is Limsa Lominsa's equivalent of Momodi, and the Drowning Wench is similar to the Quicksand in that it hosts the Inn and Adventurers' Guild. I also question why this Twin Adder officer has intelligence on this, but whatever.

So, since Aggro I was an idiot and didn't attune to the aetheryte, Aggro can't just teleport over there and has to take the airship. Oh, well.

The quest will take me to the floor that Limsa's aetheryte is on later anyway, so Aggro proceeds to take the lift down to the Drowning Wench for now.

Click to play: Adventurers' Guild Theme

Down there, and to the right of the lift, is Baderon.

"Ah, 'eard as I've got a job fer a capable 'venturer, ye say? Well, yer bloody right."

Some people have issues understanding what Lominsans say. A lot of it is written like this and doesn't always parse easy. It adds a lot of flavour to their dialogue, but the localization team may have taken it a bit far. It really depends on the person reading it.

"Just so yer fairly warned, though, this ain't no job fer the faint of 'eart. Things're liable to get downright bleedin' 'airy."

Aggro doesn't really care. She's been longing for some action. It's finally time to unlock our first dungeon and end the MMO tutorial.

I touched on this a little bit in the 1.0 recap update, but Eidolons Espers Primals have the ability to make you their willing slave. When Baderon refers to the fishbacks here, he's talking about the Sahagin beast tribe. Their pet pirates are basically sailors that have been brainwashed by the Sahagin primal: Leviathan. Leviathan, alongside Titan, were expected to make an appearance in 1.0 before the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami happened in 2011. While they never made it into the original game, their storylines are considered canon and are supposed to have occurred between 1.0 and A Realm Reborn.

As Baderon starts his explanation, he's interrupted by a passerby.

We saw Reyner in the last update, but weren't really introduced to him. He's in charge of the Yellowjackets, which is the Limsa equivalent to the Brass Blades. Surprisingly, while they're essentially a bunch of reformed pirates, they're typically a lot less corrupt than the Brass Blades. Their guild is also kind of great, and we'll be getting familiar with one of their associated classes later. It's great fun, and my favourite class in the game.

Reyner is actually here to explain the task in more detail. It turns out that it's actually work that the Yellowjackets have requested. He wants to send an investigation team into the Sastasha Seagrot, but unfortunately there's a problem with that.

"But with the Sahagin testing our defenses daily, I am loath to assign the task to limited forces at my disposal. Our line is stretched as it is. Thus I sought the services of a competent adventurer to conduct an investigation in our stead. Any aid you can offer in this matter would be greatly appreciated."

We can find Sastasha in western La Noscea, but it's a little bit of a trek. Fortunately, there's a ferry that'll take us to the nearby port town of Aleport. Getting to the relevant docks is also kind of a pain if you're unfamiliar with Limsa. Aggro also hasn't attuned to the Limsa aetheryte yet, so we'll snag that on the way.

Click to play: Limsa Lominsa Theme (Night)

Directly north is a set of stairs that'll take Aggro down to Bulwark Hall. This is where the two elevators from the last update are.

To the west is the Octant, which also doubles as the aetheryte plaza for Limsa. After Aggro attunes, she heads towards the docks next to the fishing guild, which is the one that will take her to locations in la Noscea. There are docks west of the aetheryte, but those aren't for local areas.

Until the inclusion of the rogue guild in the fourth A Realm Reborn major patch opened up a new path, this area used to confuse a lot of players. Travelling towards the lower left path will take you to the rogue's guild, or a dead end prior to 2.4. The upper path takes you to the Upper Decks again. To the right is where we'd be going.

Limsa is a very pretty place!

Also new is one of the objectives for this quest. The Hall of the Novice is still relatively new content, and only came out this year. I won't be touching it today because I'll be covering what it teaches you anyway.

Aggro then speaks to the ferry skipper, who'll transport her to Aleport in western La Noscea. Unlike Final Fantasy XI and 1.0, there's no actual journey there. There isn't even a cutscene like with the airships. Aggro will just immediately swap zone.

Soundtrack ends. There's no BGM in the fields at night time.

The usual rule applies. New town; new aetheryte to attune to. Make sure to not forget this. Once Aggro is attuned to the Aleport aetheryte, she leaves northbound.

Along the way is the brand new Hall of the Novice. The quest requires that Aggro takes a quick detour here to get filled in on what it's all about.

Inside, Aggro must speak to the Seasoned Adventurer. She explains that dungeons require that Aggro will work with other adventurers, and must understand her party role. The Hall of the Novice basically just provides a bunch of challenges to make sure you understand how to tank, dps, or heal effectively. We're not going to bother with it now, but this is really useful and something I'd absolutely recommend to new players. It also rewards you with a nice ring that provides a 30% experience bonus when you're under level 30. You really shouldn't skip this.

A bunch of NPC adventurers are hanging around outside Sastasha. Clearly, they aim to beat Aggro to the punch. It's worth talking to a few of them, because there's also some interesting characters you can meet that show up later.

The other parties basically serve to frame how challenging and dangerous the dungeons actually are. As it's a tutorial dungeon, it's kind of hard to get a sense of that otherwise. Other than that, they're fairly inconsequential. For now.

To gain entry to Sastasha, Aggro needs to speak to the Yellowjacket guarding the entrance.

The dungeon will then be added to the duty finder. Dungeons in A Realm Reborn are instanced, much unlike most of the dungeons in 1.0 or Final Fantasy XI. You can't just walk in.

You can typically only enter a dungeon with a maximum of four party members, including yourself. If you don't have a party of four, then the duty finder will find other players that want to run that content for you. This is the only way to enter a dungeon.

Once you're ready, it will queue you up and look to fill your party. Because they're much more in demand, the time it takes for a tank or healer to find a party is significantly quicker than a DPS. Keep this in mind.

Click to play: Sastasha Theme

Click to play: Sastasha Opening Sequence.

Well. Let's begin! I'll be using the first couple of unexciting enemy groups to quickly go back over some of the party mechanics.

When the dungeon starts, healers will want to put on any buffs that they have around. At this level, all you can really expect to see is Protect. It provides a nice increase to your defence and magic defence. Some healers may just prefer to have an offensive option instead; pre-pull buffs aren't super important at this level. Since Aggro is a tank, it's also useful for her to have a few signs on her hotbar.

If there's a new player in your party, everyone will be given bonus rewards. In this case, Aggro will ensure that everyone gets some nice extra experience points for clearing the content.

Remember when I did that level 15 class quest? Shield lob is incredibly useful for tanks, who should be taking the lead role for the party. Tanks control the pace, and choose what groups to pull. Notice that the bat that Aggro is attacking is also marked with a number. Since enmity generated is equal to damage generated sans modifiers, it can be really tricky holding aggro on the lower levels. Designating a shared target makes managing hate a whole lot easier.

Click to play: Battle Theme (Low Level Dungeon)

Like we were taught in the gladiator quests, Flash should be used to generate enmity for the enemy group. The problem is that there are three other players generating enmity as well. If the healer were to restore Aggro's HP, then they'd also gain some enmity for each enemy targeting Aggro. It's really important to use Flash regularly.

The red squares next to an enemy's name shows that Aggro is their target. An orange triangle means that she almost has hate. It's fairly self-explanatory. If you're not a tank and something is orange or red, then you'll want to let up on that enemy and attack something else.

The heat-based enmity display isn't the most accurate information, though. It won't tell tanks if they're close to losing hate on that enemy. That's where the party list comes in handy. Beneath the class logo are different enmity gauges. These gauges are relative to each other, so the tank should be at 100%. It's worth toggling through enemies and checking the enmity gauges to ensure that you've got a safe lead.

With the number sign, the DPS will know what to attack. This means Aggro can focus her attacks on that target, while Flashing periodically. Later in the game, there won't be as much need to use these signs. At the moment though, they're very useful. Tanks can have a pretty rough time in the early dungeons if everyone is attacking anything they want.

As Aggro follows a path, she finds a Bloody Memo. The colour that is mentioned on it is important later, so take note!

Tanks really have to make sure everything is hitting them, but they also need to do what they can to survive despite the healer. Aggro's HP has gotten rather low at this point, so she uses Convalescence to buff the heals she receives. She's going to need the high numbers if this keeps up.

The standard practice of dodging AoEs also apply, but tanks should make sure to try and return to their previous position during the enemy's attack animation. Some DPS classes require an attack from a specified direction. In this fight, the Lancer needs to be able to use Heavy Thrust from the side of an enemy to gain a damage buff.

Unfortunately, the healer decided to kind of just stand there and chuck out the occasional Cure. Fortunately, this isn't the end for Aggro. You can return to the starting point of a dungeon whenever you die, and there will often be shortcuts that will teleport you to the most recent boss area once you've cleared it. It's possible to be raised back to life, but you'll incur a temporary penalty to your attributes that lasts about two minutes. It's only worth accepting a raise during a fight, but you can't do that at this level anyway.

The next room has a little bit of a gimmick to it. Giant Clams will spawn in Shadow Seekers, which will deal magical damage. The shadow seekers are fairly weak and die quickly, but too many of them will probably hurt. Meanwhile, the clams will behave like regular Final Fantasy gimmick monsters and occasionally make themselves invulnerable. Make sure to focus on them and beat them up whenever they're open.

Be careful not to run ahead of the tank as well. The healer accidentally pulled a group of monsters that started tearing away at them. It can lead to a really chaotic struggle with the party.

If something goes wrong, it's worth remembering that enemies will always attempt to complete their currently queued action. For example, if Aggro catches the Cave Aurelia's attention before it reaches the healer, that Aurelia will have to reach the healer first before changing target. If the healer then heals Aggro as it approaches her, then it's likely to return to the healer as soon as it runs into Aggro. This can lead to the tank and another party member playing ping pong with a monster, and this also draws the tank's attention away from anything the other players could be fighting.

Besides the giant clams and shadow seekers, there will be a lot of marine-based monsters. Most of them are straight forward, but the party will probably want to focus on the Sastasha Orobon. It has the ability to increase damage output, which can be bad depending on your healer. The healer for this party has let Aggro die twice already, so it was particularly important to kill it first here.

Not that it really helped. Another downside to dying was that Aggro would also miss out on that juicy experience for killing the other monsters. They were dead by the time she reached the party, which had almost entirely wiped during that fight as well. Healers that have protect should probably re-cast it, as the recently deceased lose all their buffs.

After fighting through half a dozen groups of giant clams and marine wildlife, Aggro and her adventuring buddies find the first boss room. You can tell a boss room apart by the seeing the purple barrier that separates it from the rest of the dungeon. This barrier will prevent players from leaving or entering through it fifteen seconds after the boss fight begins.

The first boss room has three different coloured coral formations. The note at the start of the dungeon mentions the colour green, so Aggro should interact with that one.

Anyone who interacts with the wrong coral formation will be poisoned. A Cave Aurelia will also spawn in. Neither of these are particularly dangerous penalties.

Interacting with the correct coral formation will reveal an inconspicuous switch. Attempting to activating this switch will spawn the first boss.

Click to play: Boss Theme (Dungeon)

Before doing anything else, Aggro casts Flash on the boss and turns it away from the party. Flash is a pretty great tool for establishing aggro, since it gives Aggro a greater enmity lead than her Fast Blade (which lacks an enmity modifier). Meanwhile, turning the boss away is always an important thing to do. This boss doesn't have any frontal AoEs that might strike other party members, but not only is this a good habit to develop; the position you're attacking the enemy also affects your accuracy.

The boss itself is Chopper, a Coeurl. They typically come from further north in la Noscea, but they can occasionally make their way down to western La Noscea. This particular Coeurl isn't too strong. The main thing to look out for is the Charged Whisker, which will paralyze you if you're not careful. Aggro swiftly dodges it, but there's another issue too.

If a ranged dps player has the best equipment, a higher level, and knows what they're doing then sustaining aggro could prove to be a challenge. Aggro missed a global cooldown - a turn to attack - when she avoided the Charged Whisker, but ranged party members will be able to continue attacking. Be prepared for this. Sometimes it's handy to just Flash before stepping away.

Killing the boss grants Aggro with enough experience to level up. Killing bosses will unlock the path to continue exploring the dungeon, as well as spawning in a treasure coffer.

A Plundered Cuirass is found inside the treasure coffer. This is a tank chest piece, and it's better than the one Aggro has on now, so she wants it. Rewards from these coffers will typically be found in the party-shared loot list. Each party member can roll a random value between 0 and 99 to try and obtain the reward. The player with the highest value wins. Furthermore, only players in the role specific to that piece of gear will be able to roll a Need value, which takes priority over the Greed rollers.

With the first boss dead, Aggro activates the inconspicuous switch to open a hidden passage that reveals the rest of the dungeon. We'll get to that next time though, as this update is starting to get a little bit long. I spoke most about tanking in this update, but I'll talk a little bit about the other roles in the next update too. In the future, I hope to try and contain a dungeon to one update.

Click to play: Gold Saucer Theme

We're back to the Gold Saucer today, and we'll be checking out the GATE feature. I was originally going to do one of the bigger minigames like Triple Triad or Chocobo Racing, but those have a lot to talk about and I want to keep this brief while working on a dungeon.

GATEs, or Gold Saucer Active Time Events, are functionally similar to FATEs. They're a quest located within the Gold Saucer that multiple players can get involved with. The one I'll be doing today is known as Cliffhanger, though there are two variants.

The problem is, GATEs require you to pay MGP to participate. Aggro will need to get some Manderville Gold Saucer Points before she can do anything in the Gold Saucer.

The Gold Saucer Attendant in the entrance hall will let you buy MGP with gil, but only up to the 500 MGP limit. They don't let you pay to win the prizes. What are the prizes? Well, they can be pretty expensive. Cheap prizes will typically be minions, but the more expensive items are items for dressing up or a fancy mount. The top prize costs 1,000,000 MGP. Other good prizes are 200,000 - 400,000 MGP. It's surprisingly not as bad as you'd think, though.

Remember to attune to the area's aetheryte as well. I think that's the third one Aggro has attuned to in this update.

Click to play: GATE Theme

With some MGP in her pocket, Aggro joins the current GATE. These events will show up every half hour in real time, always popping at either quarter past or quarter to. Both Cliffhanger variations will show up during the quarter past segment.

The Cliffhanger events are both all about jumping and climbing your way to the goal. The one in Round Square, which is where Aggro is now, is the easiest of the two. There isn't really anything difficult here.

Occasionally, bombs will be thrown down. These can knock Aggro off the stage, where she'll have to reset and pay the fee again. If they're glowing orange, just keep your distance.

Completing a GATE will reward you with 2,000 MGP. There are buffs to increase the reward value, and there's one special GATE that can give you more. They're all generally straight forward, but I'll probably show off the more stand out events later. Next time I show off the Gold Saucer, I'll do something meatier. Perhaps of the poultry sort.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 9, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm glad you'll have friends to do dungeons with you in the future. That run of Sastasha looks painful.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I'm glad you'll have friends to do dungeons with you in the future. That run of Sastasha looks painful.

Sadly, that tends to be the norm in groups that fail to understand their roles or how to follow wordless instructions on how to successfully overcome a dungeon run. Admittedly, a few can be legitimately new to MMO's in all, but if you consider the potential for alternate characters and those with experience in other MMO's (most of which follow a similar format, even if the numbers inside may differ, for example World of Warcraft), some of that knowledge can easily translate to a new character in a new MMO. Sadly, most either don't tend to realise what their role is (even before the new guide that Crash highlighted as a new thing was added in, and as you can see, even since then, with people intentionally skipping past it like idiots) or they are too lazy/disinterested in fulfilling their roles that they try to be something they're not (and I could name a few who are exactly like that, but that would be spoiler territory for future content). I could spill out about the available classes, the roles and their intended purpose/use in these dungeons (and even splurge out on the dungeons themselves) but I would imagine most of that would be covered in the LP anyway (though I'm not averse to side content if Crash wants me to just :eng101: like that - I can start talking about Gladiator tactics as a first primer, perhaps).

CrashScreen posted:

Along the way is the brand new Hall of the Novice. The quest requires that Aggro takes a quick detour here to get filled in on what it's all about.

Inside, Aggro must speak to the Seasoned Adventurer. She explains that dungeons require that Aggro will work with other adventurers, and must understand her party role. The Hall of the Novice basically just provides a bunch of challenges to make sure you understand how to tank, dps, or heal effectively. We're not going to bother with it now, but this is really useful and something I'd absolutely recommend to new players. It also rewards you with a nice ring that provides a 30% experience bonus when you're under level 30. You really shouldn't skip this.

This was a new thing that was added in patch 3.2, which was put out back in February this year. I will re-highlight that this is priceless experience if this is your first MMO and you really should pay attention to it, as it goes over all the mechanics that you need to do your role in dungeons, regardless of what class you are since they specify it to the needs of the class itself. Not only does it give you a taste of how to work within your team as your chosen role, they also give you an armour set as a reward - and one which, while a bit monochrome, actually gives out pretty good stats for that level - and that ring which boosts EXP by 30% for all classes under 30. Even if you know what you're doing, if you want to speed up the levelling process, that ring is worth the hour or so of tutoring. In fact, they are the monochrome sets of the armour that you get from these first few dungeon runs. Of course, since it was added in 3.2 it was way too late for me to cover it in my streams. :eng99: I may go back to cover it eventually if I go with a new class at some point, but we'll see.

Oh, speaking of my stream videos, video 4 should now be safe for viewing at this point of the LP (since Crash is open-ended about the Gold Saucer content, at least - just note that there is Gold Saucer content in this video if you're that heavily resistant to spoilers). Video 5 will be a while before it's approved, given that it's a rather quick bounce through Sastasha and a little beyond that. So for now, my runthrough of this place will only be in comments here.

CrashScreen posted:

The other parties basically serve to frame how challenging and dangerous the dungeons actually are. As it's a tutorial dungeon, it's kind of hard to get a sense of that otherwise. Other than that, they're fairly inconsequential. For now.

Just gonna mark this out as one to pay attention to. Three of this group of four become relevant to one particular sequence of events in the future. :ssh:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

That healer not healing...irked me. I play SCH and AST on my main, and healers not do their job properly annoys me to no end. Yes, they were a CNJ, but that doesn't mean they don't have a higher level class.
It's frustrating to see the players who I inspect and have other max level HEALER jobs, not doing there job properly.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I tried to message you on twitter, but apparently we need to be mutuals for that to work.

I've got a white mage on Midgardsormr if you need a healer for any upcoming dungeons. The character's name is A'nuhroasa Muhih. I'm usually available any time after 5pm EST, except on Sundays when I don't get home until 6.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Eldataluta posted:

I tried to message you on twitter, but apparently we need to be mutuals for that to work.

I'll start following everyone that follows me to make this easier. I totally forgot that was a thing on Twitter.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Silegna posted:

That healer not healing...irked me. I play [healer] on my main, and healers not do their job properly annoys me to no end. Yes, they were a CNJ, but that doesn't mean they don't have a higher level class.
It's frustrating to see the players who I inspect and have other max level HEALER jobs, not doing there job properly.

My main character is a jack-of-all, so a lot of things irk me when it comes to parties. DPS going off and beating (and getting beaten) because they rushed off ahead or decided to try and solo a guy and/or pulled 2 more, healers getting into the habit of damage > healing in priorities (and some not even doing the healing job themselves), or even tanks who just cannot tank to save their life - never Flash, never Overpower, never draw attention to themselves. Chances are then, they are the ones complaining when things go wrong, mess up or they keep dying over and over and have to pay SO MUCH GIL (not really though) to get their equipment repaired because they ate dirt so often. And all this because they do not play their roles properly.

Funnily enough, the healer was the culprit of most of the above just in that update, so either they're normally running DPS as a main and completely skipped the education on how to heal, or they're just outright incompetent. I mean, it cannot be that hard to focus on the tank and hit one button that says "Cure".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

TiamosLoren posted:

My main character is a jack-of-all, so a lot of things irk me when it comes to parties. DPS going off and beating (and getting beaten) because they rushed off ahead or decided to try and solo a guy and/or pulled 2 more, healers getting into the habit of damage > healing in priorities (and some not even doing the healing job themselves), or even tanks who just cannot tank to save their life - never Flash, never Overpower, never draw attention to themselves. Chances are then, they are the ones complaining when things go wrong, mess up or they keep dying over and over and have to pay SO MUCH GIL (not really though) to get their equipment repaired because they ate dirt so often. And all this because they do not play their roles properly.

Funnily enough, the healer was the culprit of most of the above just in that update, so either they're normally running DPS as a main and completely skipped the education on how to heal, or they're just outright incompetent. I mean, it cannot be that hard to focus on the tank and hit one button that says "Cure".

Not just that, but at that level, they have Esuna and Medica.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

CrashScreen posted:

I'll start following everyone that follows me to make this easier. I totally forgot that was a thing on Twitter.

You can (or should be able to at least) turn that off and allow anyone to DM you.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

TiamosLoren posted:

It doesn't help that there is a Meta right now where healers are expected to put out as much DPS as humanly possible. Go to the subreddit, for instance, and you get healers getting into a circle jerk about how low health they'll let their tanks get before deciding they deserve a heal. Or tanks who if a healer actually doesn't DPS, they'll stop using abilities other than Flash. Because clearly if the healer isn't putting 110% into their job, then why should the tank?

The level of entitlement is appalling, to be honest. While, yes, FFXIV is one of the easier MMOs to heal, it is still a sucky place for healers who have to not only micromanage the party's health, but also try to output as much damage as they can. And honestly? Not everyone's up to it, not everyone's always in the mood to. The entitled people talk about how much time a healer DPSing can bring. About 5m off the completion time of a 30m dungeon. Healer DPS should be thought of as a treat, a sign you have a good, energetic healer and a competent tank who doesn't die 5 seconds into the trash pull.

I honestly supported Square Enix taking Accuracy off of healing gear to try and stamp down this community-required meta. Though, a problem was that at the time of doing this, one of the two dungeons they released required (or at least really encouraged) healers to help out DPSing down mechanics in the bosses, leading to an outcry and nerfing of dungeon accuracy requirements. To be fair, bosses in 4-man dungeons are rarely that healing intensive, it's the trash pulls that are lethal to tanks, usually. And I would absolutely support Bane, Holy, and Gravity being removed or reworked to not be AOE skills so that healers aren't being pressured into doing something they're not really supposed to.

Of course, I've also been on the reverse of this. As a Scholar, a class that is highly overpowered right now, to the point where I don't need to push buttons to heal decently, I got a tank who's first words to me where, "Cawti. Don't DPS. Just heal." So I did. Because I had nothing to do during boss fights because of this, I just used /sit next to the tank. At the end of the dungeon he told me off for "tanking <him> so literally." I am not sure how else to interpret "Don't DPS, just heal."

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

It doesn't help that there is a Meta right now where healers are expected to put out as much DPS as humanly possible. Go to the subreddit, for instance, and you get healers getting into a circle jerk about how low health they'll let their tanks get before deciding they deserve a heal. Or tanks who if a healer actually doesn't DPS, they'll stop using abilities other than Flash. Because clearly if the healer isn't putting 110% into their job, then why should the tank?

The level of entitlement is appalling, to be honest. While, yes, FFXIV is one of the easier MMOs to heal, it is still a sucky place for healers who have to not only micromanage the party's health, but also try to output as much damage as they can. And honestly? Not everyone's up to it, not everyone's always in the mood to. The entitled people talk about how much time a healer DPSing can bring. About 5m off the completion time of a 30m dungeon. Healer DPS should be thought of as a treat, a sign you have a good, energetic healer and a competent tank who doesn't die 5 seconds into the trash pull.

I honestly supported Square Enix taking Accuracy off of healing gear to try and stamp down this community-required meta. Though, a problem was that at the time of doing this, one of the two dungeons they released required (or at least really encouraged) healers to help out DPSing down mechanics in the bosses, leading to an outcry and nerfing of dungeon accuracy requirements. To be fair, bosses in 4-man dungeons are rarely that healing intensive, it's the trash pulls that are lethal to tanks, usually. And I would absolutely support Bane, Holy, and Gravity being removed or reworked to not be AOE skills so that healers aren't being pressured into doing something they're not really supposed to.

Of course, I've also been on the reverse of this. As a Scholar, a class that is highly overpowered right now, to the point where I don't need to push buttons to heal decently, I got a tank who's first words to me where, "Cawti. Don't DPS. Just heal." So I did. Because I had nothing to do during boss fights because of this, I just used /sit next to the tank. At the end of the dungeon he told me off for "tanking <him> so literally." I am not sure how else to interpret "Don't DPS, just heal."

The amount of difference a healer that puts in the time to stance dance can make when the DPS are garbage, which is very often, becomes considerably more than 5 minutes (not that I'd really scoff at 5 minutes. That adds up over time). The game would also have to have considerable paradigm shift for doing nothing but healing to not be mind numbingly boring at present.

Also, the only time I've ever seen someone whine about DPSing as a healer (either in favor of or against) was a ninja who apparently was so deathly opposed to healers doing DPS that they proceeded to get naked and equip a low level weapon and then promptly get kicked from the group and be replaced in seconds. I really don't know what they were expecting to happen. All in all, FF14 has a pretty passive population though, you have to be some truly heinous garbage to be called out as any role. "Honest Healers" do get quietly judged though, and rightly so, since it's downright lazy. Some basic stance dancing isn't exactly onerous to pull off and no one is expecting top tier perfect DPS out of a duty finder healer.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Random dungeons (read: low level roulettes) in FF14 are generally pretty pleasant in my experience, the no-heals-healer is pretty rare, as are people going off because of some real or imagined mistake. People generally stay quiet, abstractly friendly and do their best. Sometimes someone fucks up and everyone dies, but people are mostly pretty chill about it when it happens. If there's a specific lethal boss mechanic (spoilers: there are lethal boss mechanics) and a new guy there's usually someone who will explain it, typically without snarking. The WoW community is considerably worse, both about blowing up over others doing things wrong and about doing things wrong in the first place. Not sure if it's the commendations or the increased focus on random group queueing that makes FF14 less prone to that sort of thing.

Here that particular healer was a bare CNJ and I'd guess this was someone who genuinely did the first dungeon for their first time. Reading whats going on might be legit hard if you're new, with a fresh tank (in terms of gear/skills) lowering the error margin to boot. Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence, etc.

Most fuckups seem to be just someone new but trying rather than intentional trolling, which I'm perfectly okay with. I can live without the WHM DPS, nice though it is, if the healer isn't comfortable about weaving in nukes. About the one behavior I've encountered that actually pissed me off are Scholars who join up and then ask that the tank not overpull so their pet can keep up the healing while they spend the instance AFK, which I've seen a few times. I don't mind pressing the wrong button but at least make the minimal effort to press a button.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

The amount of difference a healer that puts in the time to stance dance can make when the DPS are garbage, which is very often, becomes considerably more than 5 minutes (not that I'd really scoff at 5 minutes. That adds up over time). The game would also have to have considerable paradigm shift for doing nothing but healing to not be mind numbingly boring at present.

Also, the only time I've ever seen someone whine about DPSing as a healer (either in favor of or against) was a ninja who apparently was so deathly opposed to healers doing DPS that they proceeded to get naked and equip a low level weapon and then promptly get kicked from the group and be replaced in seconds. I really don't know what they were expecting to happen. All in all, FF14 has a pretty passive population though, you have to be some truly heinous garbage to be called out as any role. "Honest Healers" do get quietly judged though, and rightly so, since it's downright lazy. Some basic stance dancing isn't exactly onerous to pull off and no one is expecting top tier perfect DPS out of a duty finder healer.

Eh. I've never in my experience healer-DPSing felt like it was shaving off that much time. To be fair, also, I don't use parsers and the like, so I don't know how often I'm getting garbage DPS, but it feels rare to me. Might be because I'm on the Primal Datacenter, I don't know. All I know is on average I'm finishing a run at the 25m mark or so. Only times that I go under that is if I get some ridiculous AOE team like two Summoners and a Scholar. I do agree that the game needs a paradigm shift to make pure healing less boring. In fact, the latest 24m raid I found when I was doing it, even with a premade, something I had to pay attention and heal, not zone out and mash Malefic II ad infinitum which is just as boring. Okay, I have my cards, so every 30s I am doing something remotely interesting if I have to DPS.

The game needs a paradigm shift I think. They need to stop half-assing it on Healer DPS. Either find a way to cut it out, preferably like with the second 24m where the entire group is taking damage, and enough that it's not practical for a healer to sit in Cleric Stance. FFXIV's gear sync on dungeons should help with that too, as well as continuing to not put Accuracy on healer gear. The other option is to go whole hog into it, and make Healer DPS a feature. The best way to do that would be to have damage spells that are weaker than normal DPS spells but come with benefits. An example off the top of my head comes from another MMO, where there is a Healer-DPS class who has a spell that can be spammed for light damage and blocks the next X amount of damage the target deals, stacking with itself.

Though, don't get me wrong. I may hate Healing and DPSing at the same time in FFXIV, but I'll still do it. Because one, it is moderately less boring than sitting there doing nothing, and two because I care way too much about what other people think of me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you roll from 1-100, with 0 if you pass, not from 0-99.

Also, wow you died in Sastasha

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Eh. I've never in my experience healer-DPSing felt like it was shaving off that much time. To be fair, also, I don't use parsers and the like, so I don't know how often I'm getting garbage DPS, but it feels rare to me. Might be because I'm on the Primal Datacenter, I don't know. All I know is on average I'm finishing a run at the 25m mark or so. Only times that I go under that is if I get some ridiculous AOE team like two Summoners and a Scholar. I do agree that the game needs a paradigm shift to make pure healing less boring. In fact, the latest 24m raid I found when I was doing it, even with a premade, something I had to pay attention and heal, not zone out and mash Malefic II ad infinitum which is just as boring. Okay, I have my cards, so every 30s I am doing something remotely interesting if I have to DPS.

The game needs a paradigm shift I think. They need to stop half-assing it on Healer DPS. Either find a way to cut it out, preferably like with the second 24m where the entire group is taking damage, and enough that it's not practical for a healer to sit in Cleric Stance. FFXIV's gear sync on dungeons should help with that too, as well as continuing to not put Accuracy on healer gear. The other option is to go whole hog into it, and make Healer DPS a feature. The best way to do that would be to have damage spells that are weaker than normal DPS spells but come with benefits. An example off the top of my head comes from another MMO, where there is a Healer-DPS class who has a spell that can be spammed for light damage and blocks the next X amount of damage the target deals, stacking with itself.

Though, don't get me wrong. I may hate Healing and DPSing at the same time in FFXIV, but I'll still do it. Because one, it is moderately less boring than sitting there doing nothing, and two because I care way too much about what other people think of me.

The problem then, if they went all-in on the "All The Heals" method, is you'll get almost everyone complaining that there's too much damage output from the bosses and they can't heal as quickly as the damage output. Now this could be a legitimate concern of imbalance, but it wouldn't surprise me if people then are just whining because they are too used to Heal/DPS switching to focus on healing, so they try DPS, flop because they're not healing, and their minds break. Because it's a concept to them they are not used to (purely healing), they don't understand why they suddenly can't get past this obstacle, and after a few attempts, that's when the complaints get on Reddit. If they did it the other way (supporting damage output for healer classes), I can understand, but that would then escalate the issue of people who are (to use a term used earlier) "Honest Healers" and the complaints about them not doing any damage contribution when, speaking as one myself, we just want to make sure the party doesn't wipe because we ran out of MP not doing our jobs/not paying attention/didn't expect a DPS to eat a hit because they fell asleep at the wheel. Personal opinion, any honest healer is better than an extra DPS because they refuse to heal.

And...let's not bring up WoW. I actually have a memory of where I was booted from a group simply for what class I was running once. I'd heard about people doing that in FFXI, but never imagined it would legitimately happen just because I wanted to play a shaman there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hi everyone, I'm going to be showing off the city-state of Limsa Lominsa as well as the Arcanist class.

Chapter I: Now I'm Here

I'm greeted by this dreadfully generic Hyur. This won't do at all!

Now there's a much more handsome mug. Who wants a mustache ride?

He was born on the 5th day of the 9th month, for reasons that will be obvious shortly.

His birthsign is Oschon, the Wanderer. I think that's a close approximation to the Roman god Mercury. Nald'Thal would also work as the gods of commerce, but they're also the gods of the underworld.

And of course he's an arcanist. Arcanists are huge nerds with big books. As an arcanist, he'll be starting within the Thalassocracy of Limsa Lominsa. Thalassocracy is a fancy Greek word for a primarily maritime nation.

He's on Midgardsormr, in the hopes of getting some hot dungeon action with Crash/Aggro.

I can't possibly think of a better name.

He seems to like it!

You've all seen this already. Big empty void, disembodied voice saying verbs at you, black hooded dude out of nowhere, etc.

Freddie shows the bad guy why they call him Mr. Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, he won't look this cool for a VERY long time.

And he wakes up on a boat. This is new for you viewers at home, as each city-state has its own intro. Also note that Freddie has some nice earrings and a necklace, which Crash didn't have back when the LP started. That's because they recently changed the new player starting equipment to include some jewelry for each slot with +1 to each primary stat. It's actually a pretty significant boost!

You might think this is the same dude as in Crash's intro, but you may recall that he wore black instead of red. Totally different guy, I swear!

Grizzled Passenger: Hmmm... Don't seem like seasickness, now that I look at you. It'll be the aether, then, I reckon. Some are more sensitive to the stuff than others, see, an' we ain't too far from Vylbrand now, which is chock-full of aetherytes. No need to fret, though. You'll soon get used to it. Eurgh. Might as well have been bloomin' seasickness... Ship's leapin' around like a demented chocobo today.

He stumbles and catches his balance as the ship rocks.

Grizzled Passenger: I reckon I might head out on the deck--get meself a breath of fresh air. Limsa Lominsa's still a fair way off, in case you were wonderin'. Seein' as you're awake an' all, how's about you keep me company till we get there?

These are the same silent twins from Crash's intro, however.

See? The guy in Crash's intro was named Brendt. Not the same person at all!

Up on deck, Brennan stretches.

Brennan: Ah, smell that salty sea breeze! Now then, lad, judgin' by your unusual garments, I'd say you were one of them new adventurers. Am I warm?

Freddie gives a stoic, silent nod. The first of many to come.

Brennan: I knew it! Goin' wherever the wind blows, seekin' fortune an' glory--now that's what I call livin'! So long as you can avoid dyin', I mean. Ain't no secret that adventurin's a risky business--these days especially. What was it that first attracted you to it?

This choice is even more meaningless now that you start with a good ring (and can buy a second one for cheap). I pick glory, because Freddie's gonna be a star.

Brennan: Glory, eh? Well, if you're willin' to take on them tasks as other folk ain't, an adventurer such as yourself can win fame what coin can't buy. When you arrive in town, you'll want to report to the Adventurer's Guild. You can find out everythin' you need to know abou tthe adventurin' business in there. Just remember, though: there's more important things than fortune an' glory. Such as breathin'. Ain't no profit in bein' dead, an' that's a fact.

The ship's bell rings, and suddenly an explosion off the starboard bow rocks the ship and knocks Brennan on his rear end.

And so we do. Later...

Yeah they shot their balls right at us, I would assume they have literal boatloads.

Well that was quick I guess. Later, again...

Brennan: By the by, is this your first trip to Limsa Lominsa?

This choice is totally inconsequential. The "canon" backstory of the main character is that you're a stranger to the continent of Eorzea, so I think it's safe to assume that Freddie has never been there.

Brennan: It is!? Well then, let this journeyed itinerant tell you the ins an' outs of your destination. Ahem! Limsa Lominsa prides itself on bein' Eorzea's foremost naval power.

Brennan: 'Course, most folk ain't so quick to change, an' with a town full of liberty-lovin' ruffians, you can imagine how man naysayers an' troublemakers she's got to deal with--like them pirates who took a fancy to us just now. An' if that weren't bad enough, I've heard the Sahagin are raidin' the coast just as bold as you please. Them're the sea-dwellin' beastmen the locals call "fishbacks," 'case you didn't know.

Brennan: Behold Limsa Lominsa, a nation blessed by the ocean's bounty an' beloved of Lymlaen, goddess of navigation.

Each city-state in Eorzea has a patron deity among The Twelve, and Limsa's is Lymlaen, the Navigator. Ul'dah is protected by Nald'Thal, the Traders, and Gridania by Nophica, the Matron. There are three other city-states with their own patron deities, but they're not starting locations (yet).

Narrator: On a windswept isle in the southwestern corner of the realm,

Brennan: I'm off to the markets to deliver me wares, then it's on to the highroad for me.

He hands Freddie a Ring of Fidelity (+1 vitality). Completely useless compared to the new starter rings, which give +1 to all primary stats. I guess it's the thought that counts.

Brennan: Become the sort of storied personage I can brag about havin' met, an' I'll consider us square.

He wants to be able to say he knew Freddie Quicksilver before he was famous. That's cool I guess.

Next time: I actually play the game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I've only gotten to play through the limsa opening all of once, so it'll be interesting to see it through the eyes of someone else. It'll be cool to see how the same events are spun differently.

I've added it to the contents as well, and I'll make sure that's up to date since it's not a playlist.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

He's on Midgardsormr, in the hopes of getting some hot dungeon action with Crash/Aggro.

So a swordsman, a spearman and a guy holding a book walk into a bar one day...

Seriously though, looking forward to this one as well. It's actually interesting as well how starting off as one of the mage classes (this one in particular) is pretty much the "optimal" way of working through all the classes in a sequence (for reasons I will probably point out later in the LP). Strangely, Arcanist is also the class I struggled the most to get to grips with at the start, I couldn't work out what was the best use for it when the other classes were more direct in what they were doing. It does become obvious when you step back and take a thoughtful look at it, but...yeah, for some reason I didn't see the gimmick.

Edit: Also, apparently some tanks need to get told by Based Tyrone. I guess.

TiamosLoren fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 22, 2016

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Eh. I've never in my experience healer-DPSing felt like it was shaving off that much time.

It does when the healer dps is more than the rest of the party dps combined.

I mean, healer dpsing debate aside, what was that conjurer even doing? :psyduck:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Getting confused about whether he should spam cure even when I'm at full health, or heal in cleric. It was a little messy.

Regarding dps as a healer. I was the second highest dps in this very dungeon just last night as the new healing job. It really can make a difference, and I'll probably get into that a bit more this week.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

Getting confused about whether he should spam cure even when I'm at full health, or heal in cleric. It was a little messy.

Regarding dps as a healer. I was the second highest dps in this very dungeon just last night as the new healing job. It really can make a difference, and I'll probably get into that a bit more this week.

The amount of times I've forgotten to turn that off, or think I have it on so I can DPS, then DPS out of Cleric, and heal in Cleric...

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TiamosLoren posted:

The problem then, if they went all-in on the "All The Heals" method, is you'll get almost everyone complaining that there's too much damage output from the bosses and they can't heal as quickly as the damage output. Now this could be a legitimate concern of imbalance, but it wouldn't surprise me if people then are just whining because they are too used to Heal/DPS switching to focus on healing, so they try DPS, flop because they're not healing, and their minds break. Because it's a concept to them they are not used to (purely healing), they don't understand why they suddenly can't get past this obstacle, and after a few attempts, that's when the complaints get on Reddit. If they did it the other way (supporting damage output for healer classes), I can understand, but that would then escalate the issue of people who are (to use a term used earlier) "Honest Healers" and the complaints about them not doing any damage contribution when, speaking as one myself, we just want to make sure the party doesn't wipe because we ran out of MP not doing our jobs/not paying attention/didn't expect a DPS to eat a hit because they fell asleep at the wheel. Personal opinion, any honest healer is better than an extra DPS because they refuse to heal.

And...let's not bring up WoW. I actually have a memory of where I was booted from a group simply for what class I was running once. I'd heard about people doing that in FFXI, but never imagined it would legitimately happen just because I wanted to play a shaman there.

The tank's HP bar is a resource I expend to do DPS when I'm healing. If no one dies, I did my job, sure. If no one dies, and we down the boss faster/have smoother damage race phases/clean up adds faster because I used my time and resources wisely, I did my job well.

I mean, that said, I /follow the first three dungeons on my scholar because my fairy can heal those dungeons just fine. They're boring now after getting them so many times on the roulette- that's primo time to go make a sandwich, catch up on reading, go for a walk, whatever.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Silegna posted:

The amount of times I've forgotten to turn that off, or think I have it on so I can DPS, then DPS out of Cleric, and heal in Cleric...

I will admit to doing this periodically. Thankfully, it just results in a bit of confusion on my part before recovering rather than any actual trouble. Also the dreaded accidental double-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll take you to the seven seas of Rhye!

A Good Post. Oschon is totally Odin to me though. But I understand why you had to think differently.