Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the idea is that you aren't supposed to realize that you got it. it just shows up in your party after evolving nincada. spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
My first and only shiny was Kangashkhan in the saffari zone on LF. I caught it but drat I nearly didn't notice it was a shiny and almost ran away.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah that worked. I'm surprised they didn't add any sort of cutscene for shedinja in ORAS, or even let you name it

That would involve adding a feature to ORAS that doesn't exist in RS though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've only ever found shinies in gen 6

first one was a skiddo and I named him golgoat 13. think I have like 5 shinies now, one of which being the delphox I started with when I replayed y

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My first shinies were found within 24 hours of each other while EV training Pokemon in Platinum. A Roselia and a Starly.

Ran into a shiny Golbat in Heartgold.

Chained for shiny Shinx and Ponyta in Platinum and my friend gave my a shiny Corsola she chained for.

I got a shiny Beautifly from someone who was messing with the RNG as kind of a proof of concept.

All my shinies come from gen 4,

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I got a shiny ponyta and raticate in heart gold. I also encountered a shiny sentret in original silver before you have any pokeballs, which hurt me deeply

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My first shiny was a Roselia I caught in the original Ruby. I lost it somewhere between the generations. If transferring from old games wasn't such a pain in the rear end I might go looking for it. Not because I actually care about it but rather because I'd also find the two mews I used to have. Trying to get event mons sucks.

The first (and only) shiny I got that I actually care about is my Pinsir, which I spent a good chunk of time breeding for.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Anyone know the reason why the Vs. Recorder won't let me upload a video online? There's a specific match I wanted to show a friend, but every time I try to upload it, it says it can't. :(

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The first wild Pokemon I ran into in Gold version was my first shiny encounter. A Sentret. Before you get pokeballs. RIP

Didn't see another until SoulSilver, where I found a Golbat and a Graveler within hours of each other.

Then in X I hatched a shiny Cottonee while breeding some to pass out to friends pre-bank (Japan had gotten it for a brief window so older pokes started trickling in online but it was still months before Bank launched) I named it Blue Morning and as a Whimsicott she's been fun to use but has a bad nature for real comp play unfortunately. At least I can beef up her IVs soon.

No other shinies yet.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh wait, I forgot I have one shiny from gem 6. I hatched a shiny Skrelp. It was literally the last Pokemon I needed to complete my dex.

Whalebat
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
I've caught shiny Wailmer, Pelliper, Tentacruel, Fearow, Swellow, and even a shiny Zapdos that I didn't even soft-reset for. I got it on the second try of a very casual playthrough. I got all these in Gen 3, before shiny charms or anything existed.

They're all gone now. Arceus punished my good luck, and the bag I had that contained nearly all my pokemon games plus every other portable game I'd accumulated since I was a child just randomly vanished during a move.

I do have a shiny Graveler in my Gold version right now, so that's kinda nice, I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Gen 6 has been my Shiny heaven. On my birthday the year X/Y came out I found a shiny Sligoo in a friend safari, then I hatched a shiny 4 IV Crogunk, which was quickly followed by a shiny 6 IV Axew. And while EV training an Emolga in ORAS I found a shiny Zigzagoon with okay IV's. Plus it was Adamant so I could actually work with it.

Now I'm dehumanizing my self and breeding this Japanese wonder tradeed reject Cottonee to try and get a shiny Whimsicott to round out my team of favorites.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

don't you know, destroying the galaxy and stuff is super edgy and good, simple villains with simple motivations aren't good for a children's videogame series

When I was 12 I read a fanfic site that had Pikachu be a part dark type (before dark was introduced, gen 1) and I think the opening was like Ash taking a scyther's arm and cutting it off and impaling the scyther with it. Pretty sure Ash had a katana also. I remember the general consensus among like, 13 year olds was that pokemon needed to "Grow up" which is ironic because I'm almost 30 and most of the charm at this point is how it never did

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Is there a Pokemon Go thread anywhere? Scanned through but didn't see one...

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Are we talking about shinies now?

My first shiny was a 4 IV shiny Mudkip.

After that, a shiny 5 IV lopunny.

Then a shiny 5 IV Magikarp.

One weekend I was sick in bed. Since I couldnt do much else, I decided to breed a shiny Charmander for Charizard X. I had a shitload of spare Charmanders with Flare Blitz, Dragon Rush, Dragon Dance, and Outrage so I held onto them and gave them all away at Christmas time.

Then a few lovely shinies here and there I found in hordes that I gave away on wondertrade.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ExplodingSquid posted:

Is there a Pokemon Go thread anywhere? Scanned through but didn't see one...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782388

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

it's in the OP, my dude.

e;fb

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Crap sorry guys, and thanks for the link.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
All my shinies are from gen 6. The first one a Lampent, now part of my trick room team. The second one a Smeargle with moody, a good nature and 3 perfect IVs. The third one a Yanma with a garbage nature and poo poo IVs. And the last one a godamn pelipper from farming lucky eggs in ORAS.

I've probably killed a few in my youth playing silver as I didn't know about shinies at the time. :shrug:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
My first shiny was

My second shiny was

After that the shinies I got were

Complete the sentences and post this for the next couple pages until the next topic is brought up.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

HoneyBoy posted:

My first shiny was

My second shiny was

After that the shinies I got were

Complete the sentences and post this for the next couple pages until the next topic is brought up.

Thanks. Keep me posted about the next topic we can post our opinions and experiences that no one cares about. :tipshat:

Edit: can event mons be traded directly? I got an extra arceus because I didn't know it couldn't be put on the gts.

QuasiQuack fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 22, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No shinies yet but I'm into breeding now so marvellous things await I'm sure. Got Xerneas last night, she just hopped right into a quick ball. Good bambi. I'm loving how easy Wonder Trade makes it to build daft little collections like deciding you want every starter.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hooray, the only conversation worse than lists!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

HoneyBoy posted:

My first shiny was butts

My second shiny was fart

After that the shinies I got were a poop

Is Pokemon Link used for anything other than the demo version and getting stuff from Bank?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Magmar Koffing and Muk are cool shinies gj

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have a shiny rear end in a top hat.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My first shiny was a Chespin. (Not counting Red Gyarados in silver)

I don't think I've ever gotten a random encounter with one.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a shiny paras with my last safari ball then a few hours later a shiny rattata on cinnabar island.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Exciting new Sun & Moon gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgZhBxhyQA

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
stoutland confirmed mothertruckers

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dunban posted:

ooh wee look at that boy run

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Dunban posted:

Is he collecting the stupid sea cucumbers to throw them back out to sea? :allears:

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Dunban posted:

You know you're a chump pokemon when your capture battle consists of a trainer picking you up and shoving you in a pokeball with no attacks or other pokemon involved.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the lack of music is really doing it for me

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

QuasiQuack posted:

Is he collecting the stupid sea cucumbers to throw them back out to sea? :allears:

Yep!

oddium posted:

the lack of music is really doing it for me

The developers had to decide between keeping background music or Mega Evolutions, and they chose the latter.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It took me nearly 20 years of playing through these games, a lot of them as many as 4 times, to finally get a wild shiny. It was a blue Calm Flabebe with excellent IVs. Arceus finally decided "enough was enough."

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have never seen a shiny :smith:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Same
Oh well

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Pokémon Megathread 7.0: Throwing Pyukumuku in the ocean for Fun and Profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

You'll get your shiny, else I'll get you one.

Everybody deserves a shiny.