Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

only eat pizza rolls to avoid social faux pas imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
:downsgun::69snypa:

Vey Naise Guys My Beetches

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

King Vidiot posted:

No but seriously, how the gently caress are we supposed to pronounce things then? What should someone who's not Mexican say when they say taco? TACK-oh? Tuh-KOH? "TAH-co" is how it's pronounced, they pronounce it in every single Taco Bell commercial that way. It's the name of one of the whitest franchises in the US. And I pronounce a quesadilla "keh-sah-deejah" because that's how it's loving pronounced.

Should I call gyros "JIE-rose" and croissants "crescent rolls"?

No, you're totally missing the point. Here, watch this educational video and see if you can't work out what we're trying to get across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMp_z7Jnxw

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have intentionally mispronounced things for so long that I have to remember to pronounce them correctly. Kwez-uh-dilluh. Tor-tilluh. And the ever-popular fuh-jie-tuh.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on? what if the dogs had a fedora on?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have intentionally mispronounced things for so long that I have to remember to pronounce them correctly. Kwez-uh-dilluh. Tor-tilluh. And the ever-popular fuh-jie-tuh.

My friend loves saying the J in jalapeņos loudly anywhere we go, he makes a point of doing it in large crowds with a straight face. Ja-la-pen-oss.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

fappenmeister posted:

My friend loves saying the J in jalapeños loudly anywhere we go, he makes a point of doing it in large crowds with a straight face. Ja-la-pen-oss.

If he isn't pronouncing it as either hello-penis or jello-penis than he needs to step up his intentional mispronunciation game.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fappenmeister posted:

My friend loves saying the J in jalapeņos loudly anywhere we go, he makes a point of doing it in large crowds with a straight face. Ja-la-pen-oss.

I pretty much only do it amongst friends and family - I am generally pretty well-behaved in public.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
lol @ anyone so ignorant of female anatomy they think the clit is touching the saddle

the clit's out front, my friends, not between the booty cheeks, do you think biker ladies are secretly masturbating or have you just never seen the perineum of a vagina-haver with the lights on

(ps if the clit were in a position to contact the saddle women would ACTIVELY HATE riding horses... I've gone horseback riding exactly twice in my life and hated both times because if any part of your nethers is pressed against the saddle it's like getting beaten with a two-by-four until your butt knuckles rupture. If your crotch is nestling the pommel you're basically riding the handlebars of the bike, you'll look like a loving idiot and your joints are going to last twenty-two seconds AND the horse will be angry that you're so stupid and probably throw you off. Girls like horses because they are enormous powerful animals that can be trained to submit to their direction and control, and because Lisa Frank.)

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Bored posted:

:barf:

I'm hoping you made the same face while he was talking that I made while I was reading this. My face kinda hurt because of how hard I was scowling.

While he was talking I did that thing where you unconsciously pull your head back and make a face like you just got some soap in your mouth. As soon as he finished, my response was "Go away or I'll pepper spray you."

King Vidiot posted:

No but seriously, how the gently caress are we supposed to pronounce things then? What should someone who's not Mexican say when they say taco? TACK-oh? Tuh-KOH? "TAH-co" is how it's pronounced, they pronounce it in every single Taco Bell commercial that way. It's the name of one of the whitest franchises in the US. And I pronounce a quesadilla "keh-sah-deejah" because that's how it's loving pronounced.

Should I call gyros "JIE-rose" and croissants "crescent rolls"?

TAH-co is perfect. But when someone forces the t-sound until its somewhere between a "th" and "d" sound, it's just embarrassing for all involved.

Do you pronounce "croissant" the way its spelled in English or would you unironically say "This morning I had a sausage and egg kweh-sooone at McDonalds before work."? If so, then crescent roll is probably the way to go.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Horses are social animals, like dogs. They are fun to ride and they communicate well with people. They're not scary if you're used to them. Good animals.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm waiting on them to finally get rid of the idiot stigma from eating horses and open up horse slaughterhouses so i can have some horse steaks

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

There are so many cool and cute animals in the world that I just don't have time for the big goofy one that pretty much can't survive without being swaddled in bubblewrap and would need me to clean clots out of its penis on the reg. Plus apparently they can't even work the clit but still expect tens of thousands of dollars of upkeep.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PallasAthene posted:

While he was talking I did that thing where you unconsciously pull your head back and make a face like you just got some soap in your mouth. As soon as he finished, my response was "Go away or I'll pepper spray you."

TAH-co is perfect. But when someone forces the t-sound until its somewhere between a "th" and "d" sound, it's just embarrassing for all involved.

Do you pronounce "croissant" the way its spelled in English or would you unironically say "This morning I had a sausage and egg kweh-sooone at McDonalds before work."? If so, then crescent roll is probably the way to go.

I took way too many years of French to screw up croissant without putting actual effort into it. When I actually accidentally mispronounce Spanish and Italian words it's because I'm trying to apply French pronunciation to them and it doesn't match up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like there's a difference between just pronouncing a spanish word correctly and talking like michael scott's impersonation of a mexican and you guys are talking past each other a bit

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I took way too many years of French to screw up croissant without putting actual effort into it. When I actually accidentally mispronounce Spanish and Italian words it's because I'm trying to apply French pronunciation to them and it doesn't match up.

I'm not sure if that "kweh-soone" even approximates the correct way to say it, but I've heard people drop that into conversation while trying to put on airs. It's even funnier if it doesn't even sound close.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

i feel like there's a difference between just pronouncing a spanish word correctly and talking like michael scott's impersonation of a mexican and you guys are talking past each other a bit

I'm a little distracted by dogs. I think there's more of them now. :stare:

PallasAthene posted:

I'm not sure if that "kweh-soone" even approximates the correct way to say it, but I've heard people drop that into conversation while trying to put on airs. It's even funnier if it doesn't even sound close.

I can picture what you are describing. The actual pronunciation just has some sounds which are not a normal part of English, so those people trying to sound urbane without knowing how to form the sounds required end up mangling it like a toddler.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm allergic to horses therefore kill all horses

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

christopher reeve liked horses n now hes fuckin dead

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

horses killed superman. they are the ultimate villain.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

they didnt kill him just his career

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

by paralyzing him horribly for the rest of his life

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

they took him out real slow and without dignity. loving horses.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Goodbye Horses, and nice guys asking "would you gently caress me? I'd gently caress me" to their own reflections like Buffalo Bill, but loving cockrat bitches won't.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

I think that poo poo is no more or less common than it always has been, you just hear about it easily now bc the internet and modern technology.

It's not like the Marquis de Sade was the first weirdo to ever exist and I'm pretty sure bondage is as old as rope and cured leather.

Bondage before Marquis de Sade:

Man: "I wanna tie you up and gently caress you."
Woman: "Okay I'm basically property and you seem cool with that so go right ahead."

Bondage after Marquis de Sade:

Man: "Verily, in order to connect with our basic human drives and emotions I shall tie you up and gently caress you so that we may connect on a primal level, reaching ever greater levels of mutual understanding and spiritual enlightenment."
Woman: "Okay I'm basically property and you seem cool with that so go right ahead."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Moridin920 posted:

This is what we've been trying to get across. It's not about pronouncing a word right, it's going out of your way to show that you're pronouncing it right and looking like a loving tool in the process.

I'll post this Saturday Night Live sketch again for those who still have problems understanding what PallasAthene et al were talking about :

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bitches have overran gbs

feels like I'm going to have epilepsy

cnut
May 3, 2016

elise the great posted:

lol @ anyone so ignorant of female anatomy they think the clit is touching the saddle

the clit's out front, my friends, not between the booty cheeks, do you think biker ladies are secretly masturbating or have you just never seen the perineum of a vagina-haver with the lights on

(ps if the clit were in a position to contact the saddle women would ACTIVELY HATE riding horses... I've gone horseback riding exactly twice in my life and hated both times because if any part of your nethers is pressed against the saddle it's like getting beaten with a two-by-four until your butt knuckles rupture. If your crotch is nestling the pommel you're basically riding the handlebars of the bike, you'll look like a loving idiot and your joints are going to last twenty-two seconds AND the horse will be angry that you're so stupid and probably throw you off. Girls like horses because they are enormous powerful animals that can be trained to submit to their direction and control, and because Lisa Frank.)

:spergin:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

elise the great posted:

the clit's out front, my friends

and now we know why men think dicking is enough.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Only the ignorant ones. Which may make up a large sample of men but I wouldn't know.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

elise the great posted:

A car with worn shocks going down a dirt road

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

Being hispanic is a real motherfucker. I meet people all the time that think we're going to be best friends because we are both chicanos that speak spanish.

There are millions of us here, dude, that any sort of game changer. Especially not in Texas.

"Hola."

"Did we just become best amigos?"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

PallasAthene posted:

Yep. Pretty sure soap in the mouth is a perfect description of the face I was making as I read that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'll post this Saturday Night Live sketch again for those who still have problems understanding what PallasAthene et al were talking about :

That video's not available in the land of Tehaco Belllllllll.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
this horde of bitches doesn't deserve a nice background like GBS

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

elise the great posted:

girls like horses because they have big dicks and they want to gently caress them

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
it's Mr Hands not Mrs Hands

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Semi-related to fitness as a cure for Nice Guys: Nice Guys who manage to avoid becoming weird PUA's or MGTOW but manage to get in shape and join a frat/make a team seem to really double down on racking up as high a number as possible. I dunno if it's making up for lost time or new confidence but it's pretty funny to watch. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

they're still insecure and realise that finally accomplishing this goal of getting some pussy was actually shallow so they devote themselves to loving as many people as possible in vain attempt to find the meaning they assigned to it

• Locked thread