Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think getting rock and ground's resistances and weakness confused is a part of every trainer's journey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sharrrk posted:

i think getting rock and ground's resistances and weakness confused is a part of every trainer's journey

The two should really have been combined into a single Earth type by now.

greatn posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Kanto that it has so many more poison types than anywhere else?

Dark didn't exist yet so they needed something to play the "bad guy" type.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 25, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Geostomp posted:

The two should really have been combined into a single Earth type by now.

agreed give every rock type stab earthquake and delete all rock moves

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A lot of the gen I dual types are really unexpected from their designs honestly. Like why is bulbasaur part poison? Why is onix part ground? Why is every bird flying/normal? Fish are "normal" and they get pure water instead of water/normal.

Don't even get me started on why Golduck isn't part psychic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only type chart poo poo I get hung up on is Fairy because all its interactions are dumb.

Dark and Bug did not need another thing to resist them!

I also always forget its super-effective against Fighting.

:negative:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dark definitely absolutely needed another thing to resist it and still needs more things to resist it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zore posted:

The only type chart poo poo I get hung up on is Fairy because all its interactions are dumb.

Weak against poison makes sense, from Peter Pan

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

Dark [...] did not need another thing to resist them!

hm

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Grass needs to be immune to it and it needs to be weak to Normal or Ice attacks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

If they had let Steel keep resisting it that would be 100% true. 3 is what almost every other type in existence has.

Also Ghost has one thing that resists it now and one thing immune.

Also poor bug has seven things that resist it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ground types live in the ground, Rock types are made out of rock. That's the difference.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dexie posted:

Ground types live in the ground, Rock types are made out of rock. That's the difference.

Why are Flygon and Garchomp part ground

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dexie posted:

But Onix doesn't live in the ground

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dexie posted:

golurk is made out of rock and lives in the sky

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dragon needs more weaknesses to stop it being a the tryhard type.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

Garchomp is a land shark

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Dragon needs more weaknesses to stop it being a the tryhard type.

its less that dragon is overpowered as a type, and more that they made very powerful pokemon Dragon type

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

greatn posted:

Garchomp is a land shark

Rattatta is a land rat, why is it not normal/ground???

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ghost/Rock would actually be a pretty good offensive type for a fast pokemon so I'm sad there isn't one of those yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Dragons take loving forever to find normally though. Like I remember it took like 3/4 of RBY to even maybe start getting Dratinis

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Ghost/Rock would actually be a pretty good offensive type for a fast pokemon so I'm sad there isn't one of those yet.

Rock is a really rocking offensive typing in general.

I just wish Stone Miss wasn't so inaccurate and that Power Gem was given to some of the pokemon who could actually loving use it.

:(

Calaveron posted:

Dragons take loving forever to find normally though. Like I remember it took like 3/4 of RBY to even maybe start getting Dratinis

You could buy them at the game corner.

And in general not being able to find Dragons is only a thing in Gen II/III. Gen IV let you get friggin Gible after the second gym, Axew is available really early in Gen V, and Gen VI is awash with good Dragons really early (Tyrunt, Gible are available after gym 1, most of the pseudos before gym 4 etc.)

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 25, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Because Flygon evolves from something that lives in the ground and shhhh.

greatn posted:

But Onix doesn't live in the ground

Most of his Pokedex entries talk about how he digs and burrows underground.

oddium posted:

golurk is made out of rock and lives in the sky

He's made of clay. I didn't say the explanation was PERFECT. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Cofagrigus not being Ghost/Rock is a drat shame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mabels big day posted:

its less that dragon is overpowered as a type, and more that they made very powerful pokemon Dragon type

Yeah dragon itself isn't that amazing of a type. There are plenty of mediocre dragon types now. In the old generations, dragon was reserved for grossly overpowered legendaries or the 600 stat pseudo-legendaries.

Nobody is trembling in fear at Druddigon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dexie posted:

Its not fast though?

Rock would literally only make it worse because sudden weakness to Steel/Water/Ground isn't a really good trade off for no STAB beyond Hidden Power (It doesn't learn Power Gem and its attack is lol) and resistance to Fire/Flying with an upgrade to 4x Poison.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dexie posted:

The thing eats and is made of gold. It should have Ghost/Steel.

Similarly, Sableye should have been Ghost/Rock.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zore posted:

Its not fast though?

Rock would literally only make it worse because sudden weakness to Steel/Water/Ground isn't a really good trade off for no STAB beyond Hidden Power (It doesn't learn Power Gem and its attack is lol) and resistance to Fire/Flying with an upgrade to 4x Poison.

Trick Room exists. :colbert:

It's a stone sarcophagus with a ghost inside. Ghost/Rock would have made way more sense than pure Ghost. Hell, I would have even accepted Ghost/Ground.

Geostomp posted:

The thing eats and is made of gold. It should have Ghost/Steel.

Or this.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah dragon itself isn't that amazing of a type. There are plenty of mediocre dragon types now. In the old generations, dragon was reserved for grossly overpowered legendaries or the 600 stat pseudo-legendaries.

Yeah, Dragon is reasonably well-balanced as a type in and of itself. It's just that the original design concept was to reserve the only typing that resists all the starter types for the most fearsome beasts in the land.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
How do people handle gifted pokes in a Nuzlocke? I'm thinking specifically of the gen I starter you get in X/Y.

I'm looking for a challenge, but it's also my first one and I'm already down to two dudes before the first gym battle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pure dragon is a pretty good defensive typing, and before fairies dragon was a good but not insane offensive type (rarely SE, but also rarely NVE). Defensively though all the good dragons get saddled with poo poo like flying or ground

Where's my non-mega non-legendary fire/dragon who doesn't look like the world's spikiest turtle?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Russad posted:

How do people handle gifted pokes in a Nuzlocke? I'm thinking specifically of the gen I starter you get in X/Y.

I'm looking for a challenge, but it's also my first one and I'm already down to two dudes before the first gym battle.

I usually wonder trade it and then breed whatever I get with one of the dittos in my bank.

Breeding wonderlockes is fun as hell and you can do it super early in X/Y.

I usually wonderlocke if its a duplicate of something I've already caught too. Helps making run into that third bunnelby or zigzagoon kinda exciting instead of lovely.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fairy being added to the game was good overall but ice has never been more horrible than it is now. With fairy types being immune to dragons AND hitting them super effectively, ice types lost their position as dragon slayers. The only thing it has going for it is that it hits a lot of dragon types for 4x damage due to them being dragon/flying or dragon/ground. That just means you carry ice moves on other pokemon though.

Russad posted:

I just ignore them usually. For me the fun of Nuzlocke is using pokemon you didn't expect to use, which means ignoring ones that are always handed to you aside from the starter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Russad posted:

It's up to you. You can count gift Pokemon as your "capture" in that town/area.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Fairy being added to the game was good overall but ice has never been more horrible than it is now. With fairy types being immune to dragons AND hitting them super effectively, ice types lost their position as dragon slayers. The only thing it has going for it is that it hits a lot of dragon types for 4x damage due to them being dragon/flying or dragon/ground. That just means you carry ice moves on other pokemon though.

There's only ever been like 5 ice types worth using, and mostly because they had something almost wholly unique.

Weavile, Mamoswine, Abomasnow (kinda), Froslass and Cloyster.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Kyurem White is also usable.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i wish aurorus was better, its so pretty. really great design

basically worst type combo possible. rip

they should have 'Ancient' versions of fossil pokemon, like the alola forms that lose the rock typing or swap it out for something else. have us stumble into some underground cavern where all these prehistoric pokemon never died off or whatever and catch them as they were instead of having to revive them

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ice type Pokemon were never really Dragon slayers though. Dragons usually had a fairly diverse movepool that could easily take down most of them. Dragon types feared Ice type moves since Pokemon that couldn't get taken down by them so easily could carry them. Ice didn't even resist Dragon type moves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

Kyurem White is also usable.

Legendaries don't count

:colbert:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

flygon is the desert spirit and garchomp is a shark that swims underground instead of underwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

the first dragon legend wasn't until gen 3, which is really weird but gamefreak gonna gamefreak i guess