Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jerry Cotton posted:

You are really loving stupid.

poo poo that didn't happen: what you posted about.

Are you saying what he posted didn't happen, because we can read the convo so we know it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Of course, the "allegory" is an edit.

In the mind of this bullshit peddler making something up is an "allegory"

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Non Serviam posted:

I didn't defend this guy, I said that you, or whatever poster it was, was grasping at straws trying to come up with some racism to get angry about.
Honestly, it's more concerning for me that any stories about criminal hobos make you think of black people. I'm sure they appreciate your desire to carry the white man's burden.

The point that was trying to be made was just because you haven't personally heard of "zombies" being used as a code word for black people doesn't mean that anyone was grasping for straws. This is a real thing that people do, especially someone who makes up gun toting fantasies. I personally work in an industry that caters just to gun people. I was pointing out that people do it and it is irritating.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Why is everyone focusing on the zombie part when urban has probably been the longest used dog whistle for black people?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The only time I've heard it is referring to druggies after that time the guy ate that other guy's face, but I don't doubt that people use it as a racial slur.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Why is everyone focusing on the zombie part when urban has probably been the longest used dog whistle for black people?

Because they were having enough trouble with the completely out of place, and thus much more obvious, racist code word 'zombie'. Since the original post also had the word 'rural' in it, that would've given them yet another potential stumbling block, and I was trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible.

Sadly that somehow still didn't work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like half the examples in this thread are "this troper's X experience" so it's not surprising the guy thought it was referring to something else.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Because they were having enough trouble with the completely out of place, and thus much more obvious, racist code word 'zombie'. Since the original post also had the word 'rural' in it, that would've given them yet another potential stumbling block, and I was trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible.

Sadly that somehow still didn't work.

"the word was so out of place that it was obviously racist"
A Something Awful poster.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
usually redtext without links is inaccurate but i think we found a counterexample

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Non Serviam, are you not American? Serious question, because I don't think you get American racial dynamics at all and these kind of posts keep coming from you. I'm not trying to "gotcha", I'm just genuinely curious

Zelder has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Aug 28, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Like urban is the most ancient of dog whistles, right there alongside thug and eloquent

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zelder posted:

Like urban is the most ancient of dog whistles, right there alongside thug and eloquent

no he just does this poo poo fuckin constantly, there's a reason he has that redtext

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's just a hapless foreigner who doesn't understand the nightmare world that American racial politics occupy...

...and probably every country, now that I think about it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zelder posted:

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's just a hapless foreigner who doesn't understand the nightmare world that American racial politics occupy...

if he is a foreigner, he's one that 1.) has demonstrated a repeated unwillingness to actually understand when people try to explain things to him and 2.) always concludes on "Liberals are the real racists!"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Maybe he's just from an insanely dumb country.

Or, dear God, maybe he's Australian. Yikes.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
English not being his first language would certainly explain how he got this:

Non Serviam posted:

"the word was so out of place that it was obviously racist"
A Something Awful poster.

from this:

Captain Monkey posted:

Because they were having enough trouble with the completely out of place, and thus much more obvious, racist code word 'zombie'.

Well, either that or willful ignorance.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zelder posted:

The dirty little secret about Europeans is that they're just as and sometimes even more racist than Americans, it's just that they don't have to deal with the fallout of having racially-based slave economy as the foundation of their nation.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

a hero on /r/pettyrevenge posted:

I was standing in the ice cream aisle holding a six pack of beer and one of cider, and a couple bags of chips, trying to decide if I wanted to bring ice cream sandwiches or maybe some jerky for game night. I had just gotten off from my other job so I was wearing black slacks, a white dress shirt and a black tie, with a very obvious pin showing where I worked.

I hear a slightly condescending “Excuuuse me.” from the side of me. Looking over I see a slightly overweight middle aged woman with one of those ‘I’d like to speak to your manager haircuts’.

I step back a few steps to let her pass and go back to my internal debate. After a few seconds she hasn’t moved and I hear the most obnoxious, entitled, “HELLLOOOOOOOOO, Earth to jackass!!!”

I look at her and she says with extreme impatience dripping with venom, “The lines are way too loving long, you need to ring me up, I know you’ve got a free register in the back somewhere. I have things to do, ring me up NOW!”

I don’t work here, but you know what, I worked retail technical support at the time and I had a really lovely day, dealing with people exactly like her… “Oh, I’m so SO sorry ma'am, I thought you were just trying to get by.” Reaches into cabinet and grabs a thing of mint skinny cow ice cream sandwiches(Not on a diet, but those things are drat good.)

Let me just get these ice cream sandwiches to the disabled lady up front waiting for me and I’ll ring up you up over there in the home & decor section.“ Points to farthest corner of the store where no reps go and no registers are "Again I’m so sorry, I will even hand these return items off to another associate to put away and I will be RIGHT over!”

“Well, fine. Please be quick, I have poo poo to do you know.” and she walks away.

I took my items up front to check out, waited all of 3 minutes in line and then went on my merry way. It’s amazing that some people just assume a random bystander is the person that can help them and then treats them like poo poo without even knowing who they are. gently caress that lady and people like her.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MizPiz posted:

The dirty little secret about Europeans is that they're just as and sometimes even more racist than Americans, it's just that they don't have to deal with the fallout of having racially-based slave economy as the foundation of their nation.

And also you don't need dogwhistles to the same degree. You can just say "Muslims" or "immigrants." Donald Trump is just bringing your discourse to the standard European Immigration Party level.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kind of plausible? When you work at CompUSA in high school and swing by Meijer after work, about once a week someone's going to see red polo shirt and khakis and ask you where something is. I always just said "I don't work here", though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

hogmartin posted:

Kind of plausible? When you work at CompUSA in high school and swing by Meijer after work, about once a week someone's going to see red polo shirt and khakis and ask you where something is. I always just said "I don't work here", though.

But we wear blue shirts now!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

But we wear blue shirts now!

Then people can mistake Best Buy employees for you :v:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Zelder posted:

I'm not from the US, no. However, in the text "urban" appeared as opposed to "rural." he didn't say "against urban youth" or "urban thugs." you can't just see the word "urban" and immediately assume it's racially loaded. As for zombie, even other posters expressed their puzzling about that one; devoid of context, we can't just assets every bad word is code for "black."

There's this whole theory about me being racist European, and how I say "liberals are racists," so it's hard for me to honestly take the fun away from them. However, I was born in South America, and I didn't say "liberals are racists" (I did imply that there's a constant condescension on the part of pasty white assholes trying to defend us poor minorities).

I don't remember where the red text came from, but I'm guessing it was me telling another pasty white SA user to shove his white man's burden up his rear end and stop seeing racism everywhere.

I hope that helps.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
The problem here is people keep telling you that given the context of that story (concealed carry gun toting badass goes to the city), the terms 'zombie' and 'urban' are sly racist code for 'black people'. You keep saying "but guys, that's not what those words actually mean" when they're not actually being used for their actual meaning. When he says "that's why I always carry a gun whether it's rural or urban" he's actually referring to white and black neighborhoods, not country versus city environments. This isn't seeing racism around every corner, this is literally how these guys talk on the Internet so they can deny it and act hurt when someone calls them out for being racist.

So yeah, we keep telling you what the context is and what the guy is saying but you keep ignoring that for whatever reason, hence the curiosity about where you're from and whether you're being intentionally thick or just don't get what people keep telling you.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Aug 28, 2016

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I was going to post "urban means black" last night but closed the window and shrugged. Happy to dogpile NS now, though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Have these "you liberals see racism everywhere" types considered the possibility that racism actually is everywhere

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Have these "you liberals see racism everywhere" types considered the possibility that racism actually is everywhere

You might need to ask that to someone who said that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Racism is Tinkerbell, it only exists when people believe in it and clap as hard as they can.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not from the US, no. However, in the text "urban" appeared as opposed to "rural." he didn't say "against urban youth" or "urban thugs." you can't just see the word "urban" and immediately assume it's racially loaded. As for zombie, even other posters expressed their puzzling about that one; devoid of context, we can't just assets every bad word is code for "black."

There's this whole theory about me being racist European, and how I say "liberals are racists," so it's hard for me to honestly take the fun away from them. However, I was born in South America, and I didn't say "liberals are racists" (I did imply that there's a constant condescension on the part of pasty white assholes trying to defend us poor minorities).

I don't remember where the red text came from, but I'm guessing it was me telling another pasty white SA user to shove his white man's burden up his rear end and stop seeing racism everywhere.

I hope that helps.

Nobody is trying to defend a poor minority. People are talking about coded language that they are familiar with. Whoever first pointed it out wasn't doing so to help keep you safe, they were eyerolling at the stupidity and openness of the wanna be tough guy's racism.

America has a weird hosed up set of ideas and attitudes about race that can be hard to decipher from the outside. It's ok that you don't see it, but it's plain as day for people like that poster and also for people who have lovely relatives, neighbors, etc.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I hope that helps.

you should screenshot this post and put it on imgur, I'm sure it'll get thousands of upvotes

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

hogmartin posted:

The setup is perfectly plausible. I was at Target wearing jeans and a red hoodie with my university's logo across the front, and someone still managed to mistake me for an employee. What launches it into stdh is the cartoonishly evil customer and the idea that he totally pulled one over on her.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah I'm a good person too. Let's make sure everyone knows how not racist we are

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

What launches it into stdh is the cartoonishly evil customer

Nah, that part is real.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a long way back, but I want to make this joke because I am lame. Please don't judge me. This is all I have in life.

chitoryu12 posted:

The gently caress is a Humphrey?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I hope that helps.

Buddy one of these days I'm going to take you on a fishing trip,just you and me, and I'm going to explain what a dog whistle is to you, and you're going to get woke as gently caress. It'll be very exciting for you.

And I'm black so you can trust that this info bomb will be coming straight from the source.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Zelder posted:

Buddy one of these days I'm going to take you on a fishing trip,just you and me, and I'm going to explain what a dog whistle is to you, and you're going to get woke as gently caress. It'll be very exciting for you.

And I'm black so you can trust that this info bomb will be coming straight from the source.

I'm so happy I'll get to meet the spokesperson for all black people.

Straight from NAR :

quote:

(A group of passengers whose flight has been delayed, causing them to miss connections, is waiting for a ticket agent to reschedule them to their destinations. Passenger #1 is a middle aged woman who has been complaining and berating the ticket agent.)

Passenger #1: “I can’t believe you can’t get me on an earlier flight! I have been traveling since ten this morning trying to get home to see my family! Do you have any idea how hard this is for me?!”

Passenger #2: *a teenage girl who up till now has been waiting quietly* “Lady, I don’t want to hear any more of your complaining. I’ve been traveling since five this morning Paris time, and I’m too tired to figure out the time difference. My luggage was lost at O’Hare, and I haven’t seen my family in a month. Now, I may be just a teenager, but even I know that this is going to go a lot faster for everyone if you just let the nice lady behind the counter do her job!”

Passenger #1: *shuts up*

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
STDH: Racism debate in the thread was super appropriate and interesting!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bringmyfishback posted:

STDH: Racism debate in the thread was super appropriate and interesting!

Basically.

A few places I've worked at have the policy that you have to change out of your uniform or cover up all logos etc when you're off your shift, because it's not infrequent for people to come off an eight-hour shift, go to Woolies to get groceries, be accosted by another customer asking where you keep the tinned beans, snap at them because you don't loving work here and this should be obvious - and then your manager gets an angry phone call from that customer telling them how rude their Coffee Club employee was to them, off shift and in Woolies.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Basically.

A few places I've worked at have the policy that you have to change out of your uniform or cover up all logos etc when you're off your shift, because it's not infrequent for people to come off an eight-hour shift, go to Woolies to get groceries, be accosted by another customer asking where you keep the tinned beans, snap at them because you don't loving work here and this should be obvious - and then your manager gets an angry phone call from that customer telling them how rude their Coffee Club employee was to them, off shift and in Woolies.

Wait... People would approach someone who had a uniform of a different store?

Some people are so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah I'm a good person too. Let's make sure everyone knows how not racist we are

Is this for real.