Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Non Serviam posted:

Wait... People would approach someone who had a uniform of a different store?

Some people are so weird.

Like in the original, people just see a uniform or name tag and assume "Oh, they must work here". Even if the uniform is nothing like the one worn by the actual store employees. Usually when you tell them "Sorry, I don't work here" they get embarrassed and shuffle away, but some people will try to save face by doubling down and saying "Well you work in customer service anyway so you should be nice to me a customer and tell me where I find the loving beans" and chucking a hissy fit. That happens on NAR a lot more than it happens in real life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Non Serviam posted:

I didn't defend this guy, I said that you, or whatever poster it was, was grasping at straws trying to come up with some racism to get angry about.
Honestly, it's more concerning for me that any stories about criminal hobos make you think of black people. I'm sure they appreciate your desire to carry the white man's burden.

I'm almost sorry to have started this derail but look at that "no u r the real racist" post.

It's beautiful :eyepop:

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Nonsensical in context, quote marked word describing a violent homeless person in a gun loving power fantasy???? Literally no way that could be coded speech, fundamentally impossible

Xen Tricks has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Aug 29, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yestermoment posted:

But what I really came to post was this:

quote:

A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, “God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I’ll give you exactly 15 minutes.” The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, “Here I am God. I’m still waiting.” It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and lifted up his arm to strike him.

At that moment the professor was transformed into a 7-foot grizzly, wreathed in a halo of holy fire. The bear spoke: "Blasphemer thou art, thou thinkst to take the place of God? Those who deny me face eternal fire, but you who knows my work and yet commits the sin of Satan I curse a hundred times over!" The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently picking at his boils. Then Richard Dawkins burst into the room, wielding a copy of The Selfish Gene and crying "Leave that boy alone, you pathetic atavism!" As the holy bear whirled around, terrible light flashing in its eyes, Dawkins shed his mortal form, raised each of his seven horned heads, and hissed. "It'ssss me you want!". And then the Lord and the Antichrist joined in the final battle.

The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.

Hadn't seen this one before. Needs a bit more spice in the end in my opinion.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is this for real.

Virtue signaling is really common on these forums unfortunately yeah

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Darth Windu posted:

Virtue signaling
:fuckoff:

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

"shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
It's not like virtue signalling isn't a thing, but

because this thread has been on an inappropriate derail long enough.

Tae-quan-do

quote:

This troper knows a heavy sprinkling of martial arts, including capoeira, krav maga, and tae-quan-do from watching videos on youtube (what? Don't look at me like that!)

One day a man came up to me on the street, picking on me for my pale skin and shock of red hair. What he didn't know about me was that I could kill someone in 40 different ways (and that's before I actually take time to think about it!) and I told him as such. I raised my leg to kick him and it all gets blurry from there. Next thing I know, I'm getting Marshmallow Hell-ed by a cute asian nurse and called a very brave boy for the ordeal I went through. Take that, random mugger!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

Tae-quan-do

This reads like he got stabbed and woke up in the hospital.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I too am regularly harassed on the street for being a ginger, truly the most oppressed of minorities.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
I would pay good money to see an idiot nerd attempt "capoeira" solely from watching YouTube videos

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Xen Tricks posted:

I would pay good money to see an idiot nerd attempt "capoeira" solely from watching YouTube videos

listen motherfucker I have watched Only The Strong like 17 times

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Xen Tricks posted:

Personally, I'd like to see an MMA fight between a trained fighter and someone who learned on YouTube.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
I was raised in the bad part of Ann Arbor which is basically a favela if you think about it

e

Non Serviam posted:

Personally, I'd like to see an MMA fight between a trained fighter and someone who learned on YouTube.

You mean you want to watch an MMA fighter beat the poo poo out of someone, essentially?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Non Serviam posted:

MTV had a show called Bully Beatdown with a very similar premise.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Fred Ettish vs Johnny Rhodes is what you're looking for

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Darth Windu posted:

Virtue signaling isn't real. At least in the context used here. It's just a buzzword like cultural Marxist.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Game Engine

quote:

When this troper was in elementary school, he started to pick up programming from an old book about C. By the time I was fourteen, I'd already written a 3D game engine and a new method of drawing graphics that reduced GPU usage by a good 40-50% or so. Unfortunately it was open-source so some other developers started stealing the tech and now you have idtech 6 and Unreal Engine 4.

Horrible as that is, pretty smart for a 14 year old to save GPU usage by not drawing polys that aren't visible!

No one had the heart to tell him that's been done since before Crash Bandicoot (or that he's full of poo poo, but I don't know about that since it's from the pastebin and not the site with the comments)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Noyemi K posted:

Game Engine

No one had the heart to tell him that's been done since before Crash Bandicoot (or that he's full of poo poo, but I don't know about that since it's from the pastebin and not the site with the comments)

That's been done long before GPUs even existed. Is he really saying that the Unreal and ID engines stole his code?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

That's what he would be saying, if he had code to steal.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Holy poo poo lol how stupid do you have to be to think you invented backface culling/clipping, two of the most important parts of modern graphical rendering?

"UH DUH DON'T MAKE WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE STUPID, HOW HARD IS THAT? IDIOT GAME NERDS NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT HUH?? "

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xen Tricks posted:

Holy poo poo lol how stupid do you have to be to think you invented backface culling/clipping, two of the most important parts of modern graphical rendering?

"UH DUH DON'T MAKE WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE STUPID, HOW HARD IS THAT? IDIOT GAME NERDS NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT HUH?? "

I mean it's in friggin' Elite.

Which is why all the ships in that game are convex, so it'd be easy to calculate whether to show a poly.

I see he also invented using 'this troper' only half the time.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Aug 29, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I think this may be the stdh-iest thing to ever not happen. You may want to scroll up to read the original question.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I can't decide whether or not this was supposed to be taken seriously but drat it's painful to read.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I think this may be the stdh-iest thing to ever not happen. You may want to scroll up to read the original question.

You can read another post by him here - http://ask.metafilter.com/252764/Owl-problem

It's similarly completely full of poo poo.

Here's a link to his profile. He looks exactly like I expected.

http://www.metafilter.com/user/156521

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Aug 30, 2016

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BattleSausage posted:

As a Lance Corporal in USMC I played a war game where I was a Soviet armored column invading Okinawa (for what the gently caress reason). It was a computer simulation where we had our troops, teams, divisions, and whatnot. I was kicking everyone's rear end because I played it like a video game. I ignored all the stupid side objectives and drove straight for the American control center with my tanks and wiped out the American recon teams as they popped up to fight me. So because I was winning against American forces and the Commandant, General Krulak, was watching, I had to stop winning. They literally told me to stop winning, and that's how the commissioned officers perform war training.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Elblanco posted:

This reads like he got stabbed and woke up in the hospital.

Yeah, he got beaten up and humiliated in front of everyone, but it's okay because his mum a hot busty Asian!!!!!! nurse totally kissed him better.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

"Stop exploiting bugs in our hastily-programmed training simulator with your mighty gamer nerd powers, and start playing the game as it's designed so you might actually learn something."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

walrusman posted:

"Stop exploiting bugs in our hastily-programmed training simulator with your mighty gamer nerd powers, and start playing the game as it's designed so you might actually learn something."

Winning is more important than learning :colbert:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
"holy poo poo" general Krulak whispered, "that kid is inhuman!"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

I bet he broke a lot of pencils too.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Darth Windu posted:

This troper destroyed 20 embedded artillery positions but two were too hard so I had my friend destroy them.

The cheese stdh sounds like the wacky sitcom pitch from someone who's read too much Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Doubtful Guest posted:

This troper destroyed 20 embedded artillery positions but two were too hard so I had my friend destroy them.

The cheese stdh sounds like the wacky sitcom pitch from someone who's read too much Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

I know, it really [reason not put here because of legal stuff].

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Leavemywife posted:

MTV had a show called Bully Beatdown with a very similar premise.

The non-reality setup for that show was that all the bullies had some MMA training and agreed to these fights. A few of the real MMA fighters struggled with some of the bullies, too. The fights were alternating kickboxing and grappling, and some of the bullies might be good enough at kickboxing to hold their own for a round.
So half the time, you didn't get to see as satisfying of a beatdown as the show's name would imply.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Navy

quote:

This Troper's CC in Navy boot camp was five-feet-two and 120 lbs... and his forearms were larger than his thighs, and he played the mannerisms of the trope exactly straight. This Troper will never forget the day where one recruit, secure in the delusion that showing up on time for one's doctor's appointment was strictly optional, was instantly cured of this delusion when our CC concluded his lecture on the virtues of punctuality by picking up his desk and throwing it clear across his office.

Coach

quote:

I am very glad that I only had to take one year of P.E. in high school. The boys' P.E. coach, if I remember correctly, yelled at his classes quite a bit. He'd be another one-note "how did he get this job, again?" teacher if he didn't mock me the moment (and after!) I tried to report that some of his students had joked about RAPING ME. (To put this in perspective, I had and still have the body structure of a wet noodle, and am shorter that drat near everyone else in the school. You'd think he'd at least hear me out; it wouldn't be hard for anyone in his class to beat the poo poo out of me) Drill Sergeant loving Worthless. (Both girls' and boys' coaches made us run laps for up to eleven minutes, and if someone so much as stopped to tie their shoes or catch their breath, everyone runs for another minute. All it did was tire everyone out and give us huge stitches in our sides. Not particularly bad, until you consider that it was either sweltering hot or ballsack-shrinkingly cold in our gym) And when I got out of that godforsaken class, I got to take Health with my former coach—who always placed me near the misogynistic idiots and once made me think I'd be the one getting the shaft for reporting two guys who pretended to have sex with me, probably because she thought I hated men because of my problems with Sergeant Worthless's class and did I mention the RAPE AS COMEDY?

Pipe

quote:

As this is Truth In Television for a great many people, sometimes it's more the circumstances behind the decision. In my case, it was Thanksgiving, and the kitchen sink was mostly stopped. My dad had thrown probably five gallons of drain cleaner down the sink in a vain attempt to get things flowing again, but to no avail— it was running just slowly enough to have the cleaner flow past without affecting the blockage. As it happened, it was just that one sink that was clogged, and conveniently enough we knew exactly which pipe in the basement was connected to it. So Dad gets the brilliant idea to cut that section of pipe out and use the plumber's snake from the other end to clear away the sludge. And guess who happens to be home that weekend to help. Long story short, I and my sister wound up covered in something much less pleasant than slime once the pipe got cut, but once everything was over that pipe was clean.

Bus

quote:

This troper once rode shotgun with a guy who was tripling the speed limit, playing chicken with a school bus, while throwing old CRT monitors out the window.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

I love you and every single one of these posts. Every one somehow manages to get more asinine and pointless despite all odds.

We were home for Thanksgiving. We helped clean a clogged sink.

APPRECIATE MY AMAZING STORY INTERNET

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Based on the size of those forearms it's clear his CC was Popeye.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Xen Tricks posted:

I'm a capoeirista, and same. Specifically, to see some dork trying to escape a mugger by one-handed cartwheels and flipping on his side.

Either that or I like to picture the proper using the other parts of capoeira training to escape, like he's singing badly at the guy in Portuguese.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Hoover Dam posted:

I'm a capoeirista, and same. Specifically, to see some dork trying to escape a mugger by one-handed cartwheels and flipping on his side.

Either that or I like to picture the proper using the other parts of capoeira training to escape, like he's singing badly at the guy in Portuguese.

I'd like to see any capoerista dance his way out of a mugging in close spaces, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I'd like to see any capoerista dance his way out of a mugging in close spaces, to be honest.

poo poo that did happen - when I lived in NYC, two men tried to mug me. Martial arts training (aikido from grad school, so not very martial! and krav maga from my dad, very martial) kicked in and I broke one of the guys noses. I then shouted at them as they ran away and went up to my apartment and burst into tears.

I called 911 on myself thinking I had assaulted someone.

The 911 operator had to explain that the guys were trying to hurt me and I wasnt in any trouble. I apparently knew how to deal with the physical threat but not how to understand what had happened.