Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

:words:

Awesome. I'll probably play through super slow and try and get everything. There was just so much I saw reading about the games before I decided to buy it before that I kinda forgot about till I started playing it again and got overwhelmed.

Like if this is true, how the gently caress did it get found out or was it data mined out: Inkay evolves into Malamar starting at level 30 while the Nintendo 3DS system is held upside-down.

CanUSayGym fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I know a lot of people are pooh-poohing that Uranium fan game, but I gave it a spin and was really delighted by one of its mechanics. IVs and EVs are not hidden values and can clearly be seen on the status screen. Also, there are straightforward options for earning EVs and one doesn't even need combat! It makes me a lot more interested in breeding for higher quality babies and EV training, resulting in a lot more replay value.

Too bad there will probably never be a straightforward way to find these values out in the real games. :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I hope Sun and Moon introduce competitive horde battles

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mizuti posted:

I know a lot of people are pooh-poohing that Uranium fan game, but I gave it a spin and was really delighted by one of its mechanics. IVs and EVs are not hidden values and can clearly be seen on the status screen. Also, there are straightforward options for earning EVs and one doesn't even need combat! It makes me a lot more interested in breeding for higher quality babies and EV training, resulting in a lot more replay value.

Too bad there will probably never be a straightforward way to find these values out in the real games. :(

I mean, between Bottle Caps and Super Training they basically will?

Its a tiny bit convoluted, but you can clearly see your pokemon's EV distro on the Super Training Screen. And if you save, and use a reset bag, you can see exactly how many EVs are in each stat.

For IVs, the preview showing how Bottle Caps work seems to indicate a similar system will be used in Sun/Moon for IVs.

So :shrug:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

FishBulb posted:

I hope Sun and Moon introduce competitive horde battles

If they do horde battles again, they need to speed up the battle text. They were badass but took too long to do anything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

why didn't they have a Pokemon Contest tournament with competitors from all around the world

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mizuti posted:

the games do have a way to look at your ev's, get them out of battle, and check to see what max iv's you have though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mastajake posted:

If they do horde battles again, they need to speed up the battle text. They were badass but took too long to do anything.

We know Horde battles are still a thing.

Also the new island boss/guardian battles use tye same mechanic of your pokemon vs several enemies.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

why didn't they have a Pokemon Contest tournament with competitors from all around the world

Because only degenerates and little girls care about contests.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

as a degenerate little girl, i can confirm that contests are good

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CanUSayGym posted:

Awesome. I'll probably play through super slow and try and get everything. There was just so much I saw reading about the games before I decided to buy it before that I kinda forgot about till I started playing it again and got overwhelmed.

Like if this is true, how the gently caress did it get found out or was it data mined out: Inkay evolves into Malamar starting at level 30 while the Nintendo 3DS system is held upside-down.

It's true. I think it was revealed as part of Inkay's reveal info.

The game has grown a lot over the years and can seem overwhelming, but it remains simple at its core. You don't need to know absolutely everything to play it and resources like Serebii and Bulbapedia make it easy to look up what the games don't tell you. The games themselves are a lot more user-friendly than the old days so most info will be provided to you there.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im going to cheat in parent pokemon and bottle caps to breed perfect mons

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

sharrrk posted:

as a degenerate little girl, i can confirm that contests are good

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

This was the perfect year for it too! They could've just given a smaller cash prize and in lieu of a trophy given out replicas of the in-game Master ribbons.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I know that there's ways to find out IVs in Pokémon games, yes. However, it can't be done at a glance on a status screen. You either need to break out a calculator or get the Pokémon slowly examined one at a time by an NPC. He gives vague feedback that you either need to memorize or look up to properly interpret. It's refreshing to cut through all the obfuscation and just get that information quickly.

Memorizing the EVs you've earned is also a pointless annoyance.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all you need to know is whether or not the IV is 31 and he tells you exactly that

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Manually having to run each Pokémon over and get them slowly examined one by one is tedious. Why not cut the middleman and have the option to see the actual values?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

getting ivs checked is time i could be buying soylent, or drinking soylent to save time

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Mizuti posted:

Manually having to run each Pokémon over and get them slowly examined one by one is tedious. Why not cut the middleman and have the option to see the actual values?

I don't know maybe ask Sun and Moon, which is doing that very thing probably

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Funky Valentine posted:

Been running a 5 Ludicolos 1 Sudowoodo team on Showdown and I've made at least three people forfeit thanks to them not expecting a Ludicolo to know Ice Punch.

YO I'm not going to let this post get lost in the sea of talk about hardcore stats. This owns and you keep doing it. KEEP THE MIROR DREAM ALIVE

E: Could be a great gimmick team to run, team exclusively of dance-based Pokemon. Ludicolo, Bellossom, Maractus, Meloetta...

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Mizuti posted:

I mean the IV checker is in the pokemon center of the area where you'll be doing most of your breeding/hatching so it's about five feet of extra walking

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Uranium shows you EVs and IVs because the only way to get through that game is with a competitively viable team.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Zodack posted:

I don't know maybe ask Sun and Moon, which is doing that very thing probably

Oh yes, I'm looking forward to that. Just giving a way to increase IVs is a huge step in the right direction. We'll have to see what more they may or may not do with it.

One last thing about IVs before I let the topic rest: I do all my hatching using a copy of Pokémon X, biking down Route 7 where the daycare is located. Got to fly to Kiloude and back any time I want to check the values. If they're going to keep the traditional IV checker, I hope it'll be on the same route/adjacent town like they did with ORAS.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Redeye Flight posted:

YO I'm not going to let this post get lost in the sea of talk about hardcore stats. This owns and you keep doing it. KEEP THE MIROR DREAM ALIVE

E: Could be a great gimmick team to run, team exclusively of dance-based Pokemon. Ludicolo, Bellossom, Maractus, Meloetta...

In Sun and Moon you get that dancing bird (whose name escapes me at the moment), which is badass as hell and has 4 different forms with different types! Making an all dancing team is totally viable now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Been running a 5 Ludicolos 1 Sudowoodo team on Showdown and I've made at least three people forfeit thanks to them not expecting a Ludicolo to know Ice Punch.

I wish to see replays.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I have no idea which Oricorio I'll wind up raising; Sensu and Baile style look really good. Pom-Pom has its own charm, but Pa'u lacks that same sort of appeal for me (ironic considering its the most thematic for the setting).

But they are all lovely birds and fairly unique typings to boot.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

You do realize that's a skull vullaby's wearing as a diaper? She literally shits in the skulls of other pokemon.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Vullaby and Mandibuzz own because they literally poo poo in your loved ones mouth.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Zoness posted:

My Giratina, Dialga, and Palkia all have Arceus as a single parent.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The IV/EV on the status screen isn't uranium. That and literally anything else "good" about it is just pokemon essentials and if you were so inclined you could make your own pokemon with it too. A not-good thing from pokemon essentials is the lag/stuttering.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was always weirded out by how Kangaskhans all had little babies in their pouches.

For a long time, I've wanted them to turn that baby into a pre-evo (Kangaskid) and add a male counterpart, Normal/Fighting Kangasking.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Woah leaked video of the Fairy type Z Move!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if I breed my redball manaphy with a ditto does the phione come in whatever kinda ball the ditto was in

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rygar201 posted:

Woah leaked video of the Fairy type Z Move!

After 2 weeks my body is in so much need for Sun/Moon leaks that I clicked fully aware that behind the link would probably be either some fantasy anime girl power or a fat guy cosplaying as the fantasy anime girl.

How much longer must we wait Gameforge :argh:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think I've ever bred a pokemon before will the daycare guy call me when they have an egg. this is in pokemon x

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I don't think I've ever bred a pokemon before will the daycare guy call me when they have an egg. this is in pokemon x

No, but he automatically faces in a certain direction when an egg is ready (I think upwards). So as long as you talk to him such that he isn't facing the direction he resets to, you'll always know if he has one when you walk past him.

source: i bred two thousand froakies to get a shiny and i didn't get one, but i also bred a few hundred fennekins and a thousand honedges and i got a shiny of each of them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Super No Vacancy posted:

if I breed my redball manaphy with a ditto does the phione come in whatever kinda ball the ditto was in

i don't think Ditto ever passes their ball type down, it's either the mother's ball type or nothing

since manaphy isn't gendered that means there's no pokeball inheritance

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

The guy outside the Daycare that is usually looking at the Pokemon will turn around and look towards the road when an Egg is made. That is the only indicator you will get.

Just hop on your bike and spam run up and down the Daycare road till you see him turn around.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

haha what the fuckkkkk I rode my bike to the end of the road one time and back and they had an egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

CanUSayGym posted:

actually, what happened was that a game store in Canada inadvertently sold copies of X and Y a week early, and several people started posting screenshots, and doing everything they could to find all of the new Pokemon. IIRC one of them was having trouble evolving Inkay, and then was like "no, wait, it couldn't be this..." and held the 3DS system upside down. SURE ENOUGH. Obviously people could have found out from game guides.

I'm not even sure if 3DS Pokemon games can be datamined in the way older Pokemon games were.