Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eifert Posting posted:

The biggest surprise for me is how small the sample size is for some of these polls. I thought a small poll was about 10k, not 100.

It's because they're publishing the by-state results for their national election poll as if they were also an entire full poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

So what's the deal with the cost of pretty essential medical treatment items (epipens, insulin, certain medicines) suddenly surging over the last two weeks? Haven't been keeping up much. Is it just a Shkreli thing where outside people are coming in, buying the rights to this stuff and jacking the price up because Congress allows them too?

It hasn't been over the last two weeks, it's just gotten press attention the last two weeks. Like the EpiPen and insulin rises have been over the course of years. I didn't notice what set off the EpiPen frenzy, but the insulin one was a result of piggybacking off the press the EpiPen one got.

Eifert Posting posted:

The biggest surprise for me is how small the sample size is for some of these polls. I thought a small poll was about 10k, not 100.

A small poll is 400-600 generally, with polls normally being in the 800-1000 range.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak/status/771314939961106433
I don't know what poll he's using, but this is definitely before Trump's bullshit last night.

https://twitter.com/Random_Pixels/status/771318471967797248

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

A small poll is usually somewhere under 1,000. Even just with a sample size of 500 you're down to 4% MOE. Going all the way up to 1,000 people gets you a 3% MOE which is pretty standard.

Reuters' statewide numbers are weird because they're doing a huge national poll of thousands of people but then also publishing the results state-by-state. So if their nationwide poll had 100 people from Nebraska, they publish those 100 people as if it were a separate poll which is why you end up with wacky results and 10% MOEs.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

How do they believably try to about face re: minority outreach without starting Tea Party 2: eclectic biggot loons?

I know I am just being cynical. But

1. The fact that we call the ALT right, literally the Alternative Right. Gives alittle deniability. they can just say "WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE, TYPICAL LIBERAL MEDIA SAYING THINGS THAT ARE JUST NOT TRUE"

2. The fact that trump is a outsider to the GOP establishment, hell that was part of his appeal.

3. People have short memories

I remember in the late 90's and early 00's i heard of a group called the log cabin republicans who I guess were gay but liked the low tax thing.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Eifert Posting posted:

The statistics scale poorly when it comes to lowering your margin of error: a 1000 person sample might yield a +/- 3% error, while the same poll with a 10k sample gets you +/- 2%. The inherent uncertainties (is this person lying, will this person actually vote, are we polling a perfectly representative cross section of the electorate?) all vastly outweigh the benefit of more data points because they create a ground floor of error that cannot be breached. Better to poll more often with a 500 person sample than use the same resources on a 50k ultra poll.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

Jackson Taus posted:

It hasn't been over the last two weeks, it's just gotten press attention the last two weeks. Like the EpiPen and insulin rises have been over the course of years. I didn't notice what set off the EpiPen frenzy, but the insulin one was a result of piggybacking off the press the EpiPen one got.

Do I blame Obamacare for the prices going up or thank obamacare for prices not increasing even more?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Trabisnikof posted:

Atheism requires faith since it has a premise that is impossible to support by evidence.

Atheism isn't backed by science, it isn't backed by empiricism and can never be.

This is false.

While it is not absolutely possible to prove that god doesn't exist, choosing not to believe based on an absolute lack of evidence that a magical, extratemporal sky-being exists is exactly the kind of hypothesizing that occurs in science.

We have laws of gravity without knowing whether these laws apply throughout the known universe. Based on all our observation, gravity is universal--but it is unprovable because we can't observe the entire universe.

Acting as though an evidence-based (or lack thereof) opinion is analogous to a belief in supernatural fairy-tales because they are both 'unprovable' is silly and smacks of truth-in-the-middle bullshit.

/derail

So is Trump just quietly believing that racist white folks are actually the majority in America, or is he trying to get 0% favorability with african americans AND hispanics/latinos as well?

His dogged insistence on being as radical as possible is the sort of poo poo the inspires respect from idiots, but any reasonable person is just like 'godDAMN' whenever he speaks.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 1, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak/status/771314939961106433
I don't know what poll he's using, but this is definitely before Trump's bullshit last night.

Trump will be getting 95% of the Hispanic support by 2020 too. Hillary is doomed

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jackson Taus posted:

ExpressScripts and Caremark both released their 2017 excluded medications lists shortly before the EpiPen thing blew up. EpiPen wasn't excluded from either but that might have been a catalyst for "hey random old medications are getting expensive quickly" and the EpiPen was an extremely well know example.

It also might have been due to back to school. Don't most parents with kids prone to anaphylaxis buy an EpiPen to keep at school?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
One of my (I hate this term) bucket list items is making sure my last words are "Thanks, Obama."

Blame is always the right option.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

ExpressScripts and Caremark both released their 2017 excluded medications lists shortly before the EpiPen thing blew up. EpiPen wasn't excluded from either but that might have been a catalyst for "hey random old medications are getting expensive quickly" and the EpiPen was an extremely well know example.

It also might have been due to back to school. Don't most parents with kids prone to anaphylaxis buy an EpiPen to keep at school?

It's so weird to me that insurers are allowed to exclude medications. Why don't they just exclude everything and pocket the money?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BiohazrD posted:

It's so weird to me that insurers are allowed to exclude medications. Why don't they just exclude everything and pocket the money?
That's the goal, yes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Insulin and Epipen price hikes really seem like the kind of thing that will get otherwise lovely people on board with reforming that poo poo. Similar to how the spike in lilyass rurals/suburbanites ODing on heroin suddenly saw a bunch of otherwise lovely garbage realizing criminalizing drug addiction wasn't a good option.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Before Obamacare, insurers were allowed to reject you entirely for having an illness.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Eifert Posting posted:

Rule of thumb: margin of error in a poll is 1/sqrt(Sample Size)

The bigger issue is the sample selection, really.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation

BiohazrD posted:

Have to leave a few hardball tactics in the back pocket for when they want congress to repeal all of obamacare but the mandate.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

yes, and they expire

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shifty Pony posted:

Prior to a recent law, parents would buy I think (and don't quote me on this) three pens: one for school, one for travel, and one for home. The school one was generally kept in the health room. Obama signed a law within the last couple of years authorizing schools to keep a communal pen, in case a kid has a severe reaction to an unknown allergy, they need a backup in case the student's normal pen has been used, and other reasons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Before Obamacare, insurers were allowed to reject you entirely for having an illness.

Ask me about having arthritis at 25 and being rejected by every insurer for a short time before the pre-existing conditions thing was solidified!

It loving sucked.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

iospace posted:

Prior to a recent law, parents would buy I think (and don't quote me on this) three pens: one for school, one for travel, and one for home. The school one was generally kept in the health room. Obama signed a law within the last couple of years authorizing schools to keep a communal pen, in case a kid has a severe reaction to an unknown allergy, they need a backup in case the student's normal pen has been used, and other reasons.

A bunch of my idiotic libertarian dickwad friends (sever) took Econ 101 and have decided this is OBAMA AND THE GOVERNMENT'S FAULT FOR INCREASING DEMAND. IT'S SIMPLE SUPPLY AND DEMAND LIBTARDS.

I can tell you unequivocally (i'm a medic) that sometimes the first dose of Epi is not enough to stop severe anaphylaxis--and depending on time constraints, having multiple epipens around is a good move for public health. Multiple doses are frequently needed along with inhaled beta-agonists and IV steroids and antihistamines. But multiple Epi doses will keep you from succumbing to anaphylactic shock until EMS can arrive.

But no, no, lets argue in defense of the profits of a multibillion dollar international conglomerate and pretend that this super-cheap, incredibly old drug is totally worth 600$....

gently caress this stupid country.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

exploding mummy posted:

yes, and they expire

You can still use the expired ones (I have) but they can be less effective - it's ~3 years past expiration for them to become completely unusable. I was told this (independently) by both a doctor and a pharmacist; although if the fluid inside the injector turns dark/cloudy, it's not usable at all.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

max4me posted:

I know I am just being cynical. But

1. The fact that we call the ALT right, literally the Alternative Right. Gives alittle deniability. they can just say "WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE, TYPICAL LIBERAL MEDIA SAYING THINGS THAT ARE JUST NOT TRUE"

2. The fact that trump is a outsider to the GOP establishment, hell that was part of his appeal.

3. People have short memories

I remember in the late 90's and early 00's i heard of a group called the log cabin republicans who I guess were gay but liked the low tax thing.

It's not about giving themselves deniability w/r/t Trump going forward, it's the fact that this is 20, 30, 40 percent of the Republican Party and that's not gonna be materially different in 2020. The 25% of the party who heard Trump's "Mexicans are Rapists" speech and immediately jumped on board are still gonna be Republicans, and they're still gonna vote in the primaries, occasionally win House seats, and just generally make a lot of noise.

Mr Hootington posted:

Do I blame Obamacare for the prices going up or thank obamacare for prices not increasing even more?

One of the common criticisms of Obamacare was that there wasn't enough cost-control on the provider-side (because it's politically unpopular if it looks like you're going after the family doctor).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation

Jackson Taus posted:

One of the common criticisms of Obamacare was that there wasn't enough cost-control on the provider-side (because it's politically unpopular if it looks like you're going after the family doctor).

working as originally intended.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LeeMajors posted:

A bunch of my idiotic libertarian dickwad friends (sever) took Econ 101 and have decided this is OBAMA AND THE GOVERNMENT'S FAULT FOR INCREASING DEMAND. IT'S SIMPLE SUPPLY AND DEMAND LIBTARDS.

I can tell you unequivocally (i'm a medic) that sometimes the first dose of Epi is not enough to stop severe anaphylaxis--and depending on time constraints, having multiple epipens around is a good move for public health. Multiple doses are frequently needed along with inhaled beta-agonists and IV steroids and antihistamines. But multiple Epi doses will keep you from succumbing to anaphylactic shock until EMS can arrive.

But no, no, lets argue in defense of the profits of a multibillion dollar international conglomerate and pretend that this super-cheap, incredibly old drug is totally worth 600$....

gently caress this stupid country.

Ok, don't get me wrong here, I'm not surprised prices went up. Demand did increase, supply had to catch up, they go up, but now is the point where, you know, they generally go down that the supply is there.

But lolnope.

Gods I hate libertarians nearly as much as republicans. And now that line isn't so clear either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McConnell is killing off Tea Party primary challengers...

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/771335879361236992

Go....Mitch?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

zoux posted:

McConnell is killing off Tea Party primary challengers...

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/771335879361236992

Go....Mitch?

I don't know, I kind of wish it would have gone the other way and made the Republican party even more toxic. They're not going to actually work on legislation either way.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

iospace posted:

Ok, don't get me wrong here, I'm not surprised prices went up. Demand did increase, supply had to catch up, they go up, but now is the point where, you know, they generally go down that the supply is there.

But lolnope.

Gods I hate libertarians nearly as much as republicans. And now that line isn't so clear either.

Well, the fact that they immediately offered 300$ coupons to quell public outrage shows that the increases are pure profit and not market-driven in any way.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

I don't know, I kind of wish it would have gone the other way and made the Republican party even more toxic. They're not going to actually work on legislation either way.

The thesis of the article is that "Mitch McConnel and the GOP establishment's strategy of spending a ton of money to win dirty primary challenges is working."

Will ugly races and depleted reserves make it easier for Democratic challenges to statewide races? Maybe, for some. I think control of the senate is going to pass between the two parties much more frequently than control of the house

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cthulhumatic posted:

You can still use the expired ones (I have) but they can be less effective - it's ~3 years past expiration for them to become completely unusable. I was told this (independently) by both a doctor and a pharmacist; although if the fluid inside the injector turns dark/cloudy, it's not usable at all.

It is only a matter of time before expiration date lockouts are implemented, similar to inhalers disabling themselves after X metered doses despite medication still remaining in the cartridge.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BiohazrD posted:

Killing off the tea party might mean a return something of normalcy on regular business.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plus as "toxic" as Congress gets, people still vote for their own incumbent members.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Basically the prices were always really expensive, but they were hidden behind insurance for the most part. Pharmaceuticals price-gouged because they could, hospitals and doctors price-gouged to get the insurance companies to pay up. Which meant that insurance companies price-gouged and offered incredibly lovely coverage to a certain section of customers to pay for the gouging while also doing their level best to outright deny service to anyone who looked like they'd be too expensive to cover.

Obamacare tried to fix this by making it illegal for insurance companies to deny customers, and in return people are legally required to have insurance or pay a fine to better subsidize and spread out the costs to the insurers. Well that kinda worked for a while until the insurance companies realized they were merely making a lot of money ($$) instead of a fuckton of money ($$$$) and they started to bitch, whine and pull back where they gave coverage, especially when the government wouldn't bend over backwards to give them blowjobs. And besides, even if the insurance companies weren't being little shits, that would only fix one third of the equation because you still have expensive drugs and expensive service. These things were known but not so blatant before the shakeup because the insurance companies did their best to hide the costs, at least hide them to the rich, white people that mattered. Now with so much chaos in the system the prices are peeking through and even white people are being slapped with the nasty prices.

In short, while the real problem is and has always been that the American healthcare system is a pile of blood-sucking leaches you can totally blame Obamacare if you're an amoral shithead. In trying to fix the problem they created instability that made it impossible for the real problems to be hidden anymore. The prices were always expensive, and Obama tried to fix it. In doing so he knocked over the facade and now the price-gouging machine is visible to all and shrieking loudly enough no one without wads of lobbyist cash stuffed in their ears can ignore it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Plus as "toxic" as Congress gets, people still vote for their own incumbent members.

Yeah and like the old guard themselves would rather we go back to pre-Obama stuff, where Republicans still bitch over every little thing, but at least at the end of the day you went and had a drink with each other.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I hope this thread goes better than las-

never mind

actually, that's hot

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Basically the prices were always really expensive, but they were hidden behind insurance for the most part. Pharmaceuticals price-gouged because they could, hospitals and doctors price-gouged to get the insurance companies to pay up. Which meant that insurance companies price-gouged and offered incredibly lovely coverage to a certain section of customers to pay for the gouging while also doing their level best to outright deny service to anyone who looked like they'd be too expensive to cover.

Obamacare tried to fix this by making it illegal for insurance companies to deny customers, and in return people are legally required to have insurance or pay a fine to better subsidize and spread out the costs to the insurers. Well that kinda worked for a while until the insurance companies realized they were merely making a lot of money ($$) instead of a fuckton of money ($$$$) and they started to bitch, whine and pull back where they gave coverage, especially when the government wouldn't bend over backwards to give them blowjobs. And besides, even if the insurance companies weren't being little shits, that would only fix one third of the equation because you still have expensive drugs and expensive service. These things were known but not so blatant before the shakeup because the insurance companies did their best to hide the costs, at least hide them to the rich, white people that mattered. Now with so much chaos in the system the prices are peeking through and even white people are being slapped with the nasty prices.

In short, while the real problem is and has always been that the American healthcare system is a pile of blood-sucking leaches you can totally blame Obamacare if you're an amoral shithead. In trying to fix the problem they created instability that made it impossible for the real problems to be hidden anymore. The prices were always expensive, and Obama tried to fix it. In doing so he knocked over the facade and now the price-gouging machine is visible to all and shrieking loudly enough no one without wads of lobbyist cash stuffed in their ears can ignore it.

A Good Post. There's nothing Republican voters hate more than realizing a problem with their worldview exists, it makes their shriveled empathy flare up and that's inconvenient to their narrative.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ZobarStyl posted:

Also, gently caress the idea that liberals are 'torn' on violence.

Oh please, just look at USPOL on June 12.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

At least Mexian media isn't as dumb as ours.

Alkydere posted:

Very true. The entire US healthcare system has been artificially inflating its prices in a ridiculous bidding war for decades and we get screwed over for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Geostomp posted:

At least Mexian media isn't as dumb as ours.

To be fair, even CNN was pointing out the disjunction.

Geostomp posted:

Very true. The entire US healthcare system has been artificially inflating its prices in a ridiculous bidding war for decades and we get screwed over for it.

I like to point this out but when people talk about a unitary healthcare system, they're missing the forest for the trees. You really have three primary components each trying to squeeze the most amount of money out of the other and in turn out of consumers.

• Locked thread