Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
This game is meth for high functioners, i had some other plans for tonight but i started thinking about it at work and now all i want to do is go home and try some poo poo out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

What do people use for power generation mate game? Massive banks of solar panels and massive banks of capacitors?

Late game it's solar and batteries. In my mega factory save I have 230MW of solar and 12.6GJ of accumulators. Clean power forever.
It's partly why I don't like solar, it's cheap as chips and has no drawbacks. Space is easy to come by and you just plaster it down with robots. It's far too overpowered. I hope when they introduce nuclear power than solar + accumulators gets nerfed into the ground or at least some kind of drawback.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh dear I just finished the last research and looked up how much goes into one rocket and rocket pad and satellite

Thank you, I cackled out loud. Get ready to tear poo poo down and rebuild it to make more rocket parts. Even with 6 or 8 of everything it'll take the best part of an hour or two to build. Look at the recipe speeds, it is slow.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Solumin posted:

Can anyone explain infinite resources and RSO to me? I don't need them yet, but infinite resources would be really helpful later (way later) in the game. Are they enabled by default? Do I need a mod?

If the map is infinite size (you didn't enter a max size at creation) then there's infinite resources on the map, but the clusters of each resource will get larger and more rich as you get further away from your starting location. This used to not really be the case, so people had to use the RSO mod (Resource Spawner Overhaul) to do this. Now that it is in the game, I assume RSO either doesn't do anything or tweaks the numbers, but I haven't bothered to look.

I'll admit that once you have things set up Solar is way better, but it does take a huge amount of room and for new players the stuff that goes into solar is going to be such a PITA to set up. Accums using batteries is a big deal because new players think they can get away with 1-3 battery chemical plants. I like where solar is right now, but I don't blame people for saying it's too powerful. I don't really know what they'd nerf about it, reducing the numbers is not really a solution because I don't think it really changes things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's mixing up a couple things, the major change in base resource generation is for stronger distance from origin dependence for deposit size and richness. There's always been technically infinite resources by nature of an infinite map, but people making super factories would run into a point where fully moduled and beaconed miners depleted deposits before they could even deal with the profits.

Something like Angels ores changes the behavior of ore tiles such that they behave like oil tiles. Because the base resource generation in Factorio is a simple intensity map made by a noise generator, there aren't a lot of hooks for more elaborate resource deposits. So if you use Angel's with the base resource gen, every single ore tile behaves like an oil tile.

RSO generates a similar intensity map IIRC, but generates discrete deposits based on coordinates supplied by the intensity map. This allows a lot more tweaking within a deposit and RSO's maintainer has collaborated with a bunch of different mods at this point including Angel's. If you use Angel's with RSO, you have the option of specifying where normal ore appears and where infinite ore appears. Basically, you can turn it off at your starting deposits so you still need to go out and find new deposits no matter what. And you can tweak what % of each deposit that shows up is made of infinite ore at the core and normal depleting ore surrounding it.

I think there used to be infinite settings in base RSO but they've been left out in favor of someone picking up Angel's if they want it now?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I saw in the RSO config that it integrates with Angel's, but I wasn't really sure how it worked. I would be adding Angel's to an already-existing game.
I feel like I'd have to earn the infinite ore. I already have a lot of map explored, and I'd have to get some serious train infrastructure to make full use of the infinite ore -- which would be really fun and balanced, I think. Maybe I'll wait until I start depleting mines before I even start using the products.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ratzap posted:

Thank you, I cackled out loud. Get ready to tear poo poo down and rebuild it to make more rocket parts. Even with 6 or 8 of everything it'll take the best part of an hour or two to build. Look at the recipe speeds, it is slow.

Yeaaahhh, I have no idea how I'm gonna set up the infrastructure for this, how I want to belt or drone it or what. 1000 of each rocket bit plus the stuff for a satellite to do it right... eeyuhh.

90%+ of my factory is still on yellow belts for gently caress's sake

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Take your time. You have a solid base of resources to fall back on. You could even consider leaving your old base and making a new one that's devoted to making rocket parts! That way you can focus on just the individual pieces you need, while still having a fully-functional factory to supply your expansion. Throw down a small train line between the two to shuttle you back and forth, or to carry assemblers and furnaces and whatnot to your new base to help you expand.

Azhais posted:

I've got like 7500 solar panels with accumulators in a 20:24 ratio.

My blueprint includes roboports so I just ran out to a huge field, slapped down a gigantic grid of blueprints and the first roboport with some bots, then set up a train stop there and just constantly have trains running from base full of ports, panels, accumulators, and substations and the field just grows and grows and grows without me needing to go back :v:

This is a genius idea, I love it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah it'll probably be an offshoot on the other side of my main rail line, plenty of time to expand over there

New problem: instead of monkeying around with making my train station evenly split 12 outputs into four lanes for the smeltery I decided to let the drones do it by making the train dump into active provider boxes, and set up requester boxes set to iron leading into the smeltery

The robots then proceeded to gently caress off and take the iron ore to the storage chests on the other side of the freaking factory :mad:

Can storage chests be told not to accept certain items? I guess I could make the station use passive providers instead but I wanted them to empty fast so the train would unload ASAP

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ciaphas posted:

The robots then proceeded to gently caress off and take the iron ore to the storage chests on the other side of the freaking factory :mad:

My train unloading robot network is isolated from the rest of my base's logistics network for that exact reason. Stations are surrounded by storage boxes and active providers and requestors. Stops your robots from going on road trips

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeh limited logistic zones is coo

logistico! inputs and outputs along the edges. I also have 'repair pods' with repair parts and magazines all over the place supplied by train or belt

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The :effort: method of rocket launching is that if you could make red, green, and blue science at a rate where you didn't go crazy researching rockets in the first place, you can shut that all down and the equivalence in material value between rocket tech and launching a rocket means it will probably take maybe 5x as long as it took to research the tech. But that's the shameful route.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You don't understand, I need 48 blue science factories

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Wait, what? Is that true? Because if so, then I suppose I should start wiring the pumpjacks to a power switch that only turns on if the crude oil tanks are less than x% full.

Infinite resources:

Crude's "normal" attribute is 15000 and minimum is 1500. When the resource's value is 15000, it will display to the player as 100% richness, and when a pumpjack completes a cycle on it it will produce 100% of its yield value (1). If its value is 30000, it will be displayed as 200% and output 2 oil. If its value is 7500, it will be displayed as 50% and output 0.5

When an oil patch is mined, it has a current_richness% chance (max 100%; the engine doesn't 'double dip' for higher percentages) of depleting. So a pumpjack mining a patch of 7500 will output 0.5 and have a 50% chance of depleting to 7499. Depletion can't reduce a patch below the minimum of 1500/10%/0.1.

A pumpjack has an internal reservoir of 10 fluid, which pumping outputs to. If this reservoir has 5 or more units, pumping halts. Otherwise it produces, possibly capping and "wasting" the oil (this is why richness above 1000% doesn't add to speed, and if the system is saturated richness above 500% may be wasted as well).
If there is a pipe connected to the reservoir, as much as can be is pushed out to the pipe; the pumpjack <-> pipe relationship isn't subject to normal fluid dynamics (same as pipe <-> machine input).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, pumpjacks and other fluid machines feature their own pumps. They don't allow fluid to flow back into pipes or stockpile needlessly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My bad, I'll chalk it up to parroting misunderstandings about behavior at high yields. I would have thought I'd see a lot more frozen pumpjacks in my first ever game when I didn't run with crude storage and have treated pumpjacks with kid gloves ever since whenever I first misunderstood how they actually work.

Seeing the actual math is a good reminder about why getting more than 0.1/cycle is bonus time because it wants to drop like a rock for anything making more.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Yeaaahhh, I have no idea how I'm gonna set up the infrastructure for this, how I want to belt or drone it or what. 1000 of each rocket bit plus the stuff for a satellite to do it right... eeyuhh.

I forgot to mention that I've never actually launched a rocket either. :v:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Loren1350 posted:

Infinite resources:

Crude's "normal" attribute is 15000 and minimum is 1500. When the resource's value is 15000, it will display to the player as 100% richness, and when a pumpjack completes a cycle on it it will produce 100% of its yield value (1). If its value is 30000, it will be displayed as 200% and output 2 oil. If its value is 7500, it will be displayed as 50% and output 0.5

When an oil patch is mined, it has a current_richness% chance (max 100%; the engine doesn't 'double dip' for higher percentages) of depleting. So a pumpjack mining a patch of 7500 will output 0.5 and have a 50% chance of depleting to 7499. Depletion can't reduce a patch below the minimum of 1500/10%/0.1.

A pumpjack has an internal reservoir of 10 fluid, which pumping outputs to. If this reservoir has 5 or more units, pumping halts. Otherwise it produces, possibly capping and "wasting" the oil (this is why richness above 1000% doesn't add to speed, and if the system is saturated richness above 500% may be wasted as well).
If there is a pipe connected to the reservoir, as much as can be is pushed out to the pipe; the pumpjack <-> pipe relationship isn't subject to normal fluid dynamics (same as pipe <-> machine input).

Does this mean it's in some way advantageous to separate a pump cluster from the main pipeline via pumps (or high-speed pumps, thanks GotLag) in order to ensure they produce continuously? I would throw together a screenshot of what i mean except I'm at work right now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

When I did the 15 hour run I didn't use much red belt - a little round the smelters but that's it. You just don't have time or resource to waste on better belts if you are gunning for the rocket. If you're not in a hurry (and if you modded you aren't after the steam achievements) just take your time. If you have finished all the science, stop resource going to that part of the factory and redirect everything to rocket parts. Then add more miners/smelters on more resource patches to build up the amounts being produced. 4 of each part being produced at the same time will take a couple of hours to build a rocket. If you want it faster, ramp that poo poo up.

Ignoranus posted:

Does this mean it's in some way advantageous to separate a pump cluster from the main pipeline via pumps (or high-speed pumps, thanks GotLag) in order to ensure they produce continuously? I would throw together a screenshot of what i mean except I'm at work right now.

If anything just put an electric switch on a circuit network at the nearest crude storage. When the storage is nearly full turn off the jacks. If they aren't active they can't waste anything. But it doesn't sound like you'd be pissing much away even if you shrugged and ignored it.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Ratzap posted:

You just don't have time or resource to waste on better belts if you are gunning for the rocket.

I really don't agree with this at all. Each belt just takes the belt before it and 5 more gears with blue belts needing access to a trivial amount of lube. The time required to set it up should be 2-3 minutes maximum if you only automate the belts (and splitters/underground take minimal time to hand craft).

You should have a gear production belt coming off the main iron bus. The gear bus then feeds the yellow belt factory and the yellow belts that come out combined with the gear bus then feed the red belt factory that then has the outputs feed the blue belt factory with the same gear bus. It's one of the simplest production loops in the game and trivial to move up to each step once you research it if you left any space. Just remember to set your chests to only accept up to say 300 belts so you don't end up producing 2k belts or something.

I've launched the rocket in around 12 hours and I don't think I had a single non-blue belt.

e: Wait, you did you mean that you just ran yellow belt until you could make blue and then just do blue? I can see that making sense.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 3, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh it's more that the process of replacing all of the belts is tedious in the extreme than any automation problems, at least for me :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Please tell me you know belts replace one to one by plopping and you aren't mining them out. You can just stand on the belt and hold left click and the belt will do it for you like you are the world's worst construction bot.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

shalcar posted:

I really don't agree with this at all. Each belt just takes the belt before it and 5 more gears with blue belts needing access to a trivial amount of lube. The time required to set it up should be 2-3 minutes maximum if you only automate the belts (and splitters/underground take minimal time to hand craft).

You should have a gear production belt coming off the main iron bus. The gear bus then feeds the yellow belt factory and the yellow belts that come out combined with the gear bus then feed the red belt factory that then has the outputs feed the blue belt factory with the same gear bus. It's one of the simplest production loops in the game and trivial to move up to each step once you research it if you left any space. Just remember to set your chests to only accept up to say 300 belts so you don't end up producing 2k belts or something.

I've launched the rocket in around 12 hours and I don't think I had a single non-blue belt.

e: Wait, you did you mean that you just ran yellow belt until you could make blue and then just do blue? I can see that making sense.

Thing is, if your focus is speed, it's much faster to make a fuckton more yellow belt and just run more things in parallel. Space is infinite.

Yellow belt costs 1.5 plates, red belt costs 11.5 plates, and blue belt costs 21.5 plates. For 7.66 times the cost, you get 2x the throughput. For 14.33 times the cost, you get 3x the throughput. Red and blue belt are fun, but they're honestly not worth it in if you're trying to optimize the hell out of things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zedprime posted:

Please tell me you know belts replace one to one by plopping and you aren't mining them out. You can just stand on the belt and hold left click and the belt will do it for you like you are the world's worst construction bot.

Oh I know but it's still tedious. God that would be... well, twice as tedious if I didn't know that :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Truga posted:

Yeah, pumpjacks and other fluid machines feature their own pumps. They don't allow fluid to flow back into pipes or stockpile needlessly.
It's actually more interesting than this. They don't contain pumps, but rather they have fluidboxes (what Factorio entities use to store fluids, this includes pipes and tanks) with one-way pipe connections. The output fluidbox has a base level of 1, and input fluidboxes have a base level of -1. Fluid flow depends on the difference in fluid content of adjacent fluidboxes, where 0 is empty, and 1 is full. The base level is added to the content for the purposes of this calculation, so an output fluidbox will always flow into attached pipes as if the output was full and the pipe was empty, and fluid will always drain into an input fluidbox instead of evening out the levels between the input and the attached pipe.

#factorio IRC posted:

<GotLag> "Pumpjacks keep depleting their source every tick whether you have room for it in your system or not."
<GotLag> is this true?
<@Malachite> GotLag: it used to be
<@Malachite> but now it only depletes based on active cycles, last i checked
But the nature of oil production makes it hard to test this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GotLag posted:

But the nature of oil production makes it hard to test this.
You can see them stop cycling the animation and see their detail window progress bar stop cycling. I ran it on 10x with one disconnected for a while and everything else with similar yields had degraded to the next threshold while the disconnected ones didn't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dirk the Average posted:

Thing is, if your focus is speed, it's much faster to make a fuckton more yellow belt and just run more things in parallel. Space is infinite.

Yellow belt costs 1.5 plates, red belt costs 11.5 plates, and blue belt costs 21.5 plates. For 7.66 times the cost, you get 2x the throughput. For 14.33 times the cost, you get 3x the throughput. Red and blue belt are fun, but they're honestly not worth it in if you're trying to optimize the hell out of things.

While the map has infinite space, the area between parts of your existing factory does not. Using red or even blue belt is an effective way to improve throughout without having to change much.

Really, the important thing is effort spent. After all, the flipside of the infinite map is that you also have infinite resources, the only cost is the effort to hook them up. "Wasting" resources to save effort is not an issue if it saves more than setting up the extra outposts costs.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jabor posted:

While the map has infinite space, the area between parts of your existing factory does not. Using red or even blue belt is an effective way to improve throughout without having to change much.

Really, the important thing is effort spent. After all, the flipside of the infinite map is that you also have infinite resources, the only cost is the effort to hook them up. "Wasting" resources to save effort is not an issue if it saves more than setting up the extra outposts costs.

Right, but we're talking speed. Hooking up more resources faster is the name of the game. Personally, I use better belt because I like it, but a speed runner optimizing things isn't going to be using anything beyond yellow because it's just faster and cheaper to build in parallel.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ciaphas posted:

Oh I know but it's still tedious. God that would be... well, twice as tedious if I didn't know that :v:

I'm not sure if you're trying to play without mods or anything but there IS a mod that sort of addresses this where you can set things to upgrade automatically (by hand or with robots, apparently). I haven't actually used it yet, though I heard that at one point it was very clunky on conveyer belts in use because the robots had to remove all the stuff on the belt before it can replace it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I mean, in theory, instead of transporting my iron plates on 3 parallel express belts, I could put them on 9 parallel regular belts with the same throughput. But fuuuuuck planning/building that, especially when my factory inevitably grows too big and I need to add more belts.

Setting up an express belt factory is more satisfying anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I'm not sure if you're trying to play without mods or anything but there IS a mod that sort of addresses this where you can set things to upgrade automatically (by hand or with robots, apparently). I haven't actually used it yet, though I heard that at one point it was very clunky on conveyer belts in use because the robots had to remove all the stuff on the belt before it can replace it.

I don't give half a poo poo about steam cheevs so my game is modded to the nines (RSO, long reach, factorissimo, etc etc) so I will pick this up as well, thank you!

That said the power of drones (which I only got to for the first time ever last night/this morning) makes me feel like ditching long reach for the next go round just to make drones that much more a) imperative and b) satisfying

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's been a while since I've played and given the recent major updates it looks like it's time to while away about 20 hours of my life again. At the current state of modless Factorio, are the default resource settings generally sufficient, or do you eventually get to the point where 99% of your game is finding new mining sites in between stalls?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Breetai posted:

It's been a while since I've played and given the recent major updates it looks like it's time to while away about 20 hours of my life again. At the current state of modless Factorio, are the default resource settings generally sufficient, or do you eventually get to the point where 99% of your game is finding new mining sites in between stalls?

I'm also shooting bug hives a lot

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DontMockMySmock posted:

I mean, in theory, instead of transporting my iron plates on 3 parallel express belts, I could put them on 9 parallel regular belts with the same throughput. But fuuuuuck planning/building that, especially when my factory inevitably grows too big and I need to add more belts.

Setting up an express belt factory is more satisfying anyway.
By the time you are going for belt efficiency, instead of one big dicked furnace capital dumping into a bus, the efficiency afforded by yellow belts and the parallel by requirement nature would encourage distributed furnace capacity. Its like 22 furnaces and 24 miners per yellow belt, which is a rather tidy package in the grand scheme.

But its a good point that the 15 hour achievement is basically just testing general familiarity with the game, and the 8 hour has enough fat for personal idiosyncrasies as long as you have a plan, so at a certain point its better to slap down whatever it it is in your muscle memory instead of trying to learn how to ride the bike all over again while doing a handstand.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm in my fist playthrough and enjoying it so far, but I'm bad at it. I made a big loop that all resources go on and all factories, science buildings etc pick up from, so it's a mess and the whole thing gets clogged up with whatever resource is in least demand.

Think I'll just start over with this lesson learned.

Are there any recommended video LPs around?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Are there any recommended video LPs around?

I think everyone tries making loops at first, then discovers it's a horrible idea when it turns into a huge mess.

I'm a fan of the Railworld and Towns LPs from MangledPork/Bentham. Mostly because he speeds up the videos to 3x speed so even though he's not the best at the game, he gets through an hour of game within 20 minutes of video.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

By the time you are going for belt efficiency, instead of one big dicked furnace capital dumping into a bus, the efficiency afforded by yellow belts and the parallel by requirement nature would encourage distributed furnace capacity. Its like 22 furnaces and 24 miners per yellow belt, which is a rather tidy package in the grand scheme.

But its a good point that the 15 hour achievement is basically just testing general familiarity with the game, and the 8 hour has enough fat for personal idiosyncrasies as long as you have a plan, so at a certain point its better to slap down whatever it it is in your muscle memory instead of trying to learn how to ride the bike all over again while doing a handstand.

Dirk gets what I meant. I don't bother much with faster belts because I have tons of yellow for the same iron. If I really need something to be faster then yeah I can do that but we're not talking about general factories. The 8 hour is all about not wasting time and knowing what to build in advance of needing it. If I need more iron I can stamp out a set of miners and furnaces faster/cheaper than taking the time to produce batter belts, lay them all and find the bottlenecks. You don't do the 8 hour on a standard map or with RSO, you vet maps with everything tweaked to the max so you never have to worry about finding resources.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't give half a poo poo about steam cheevs so my game is modded to the nines (RSO, long reach, factorissimo, etc etc) so I will pick this up as well, thank you!

That said the power of drones (which I only got to for the first time ever last night/this morning) makes me feel like ditching long reach for the next go round just to make drones that much more a) imperative and b) satisfying

Not a cheevo whore? Good gods man and I was beginning to like you too.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
The guy who does the 2 hour rocket speedruns replaces some belts at some points so it's clearly not a pure time loss in all cases.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Giving you richer resources as you get farther from the starting location (this was the bit that .13 brought into the base game) isn't the only thing RSO does. It also pretty drastically changes the way the patches spawn so that you're a lot more likely to get single larger patches instead of eleventy billion bite size patches. Honestly that bit matters more to me than the former function because the stock game's usual habits drive my OCD reflex batshit insane and make for some seriously fugly (to me anyway) base layouts.

The second function also has the neat side effect of tending to make you take far fewer restarts to get a not godawful starting location spawn.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 3, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I find it so hard to plan in advance. Factories I can sorta see how I want things to turn out, but I have no tried and tested major railway stations. So I wanna plop a railway station outside the entrance of what will end up being my main base, but I don't want it to be too small and not be able to handle a large influx of trains (I really hate the process of tearing poo poo down and then rebuilding, it's frustrating). I also don't want to build too large and end up negatively impacting the size of my secondary base as a result. Argh.

I mean I could just say gently caress it and drive by train 2 mins out into the middle of nowhere, but then I gotta deal with biter nests which is a bitch to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Is there any mod that lets you define a train schedule and then add or remove trains from the schedule, without having to copy-paste a schedule to each train?