Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

No this is a great twist and I love it. Anything for more drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Its just not Survivor!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I thought it was pretty cool.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Dugong posted:

I thought it was pretty cool.

ive been keeping up via Wikipedia, did they announce it before voting or after the person got booted?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Mo0 posted:

ive been keeping up via Wikipedia, did they announce it before voting or after the person got booted?

After the voting, but before the votes were read. As somewhat of a Survivor purist I think it would have made more sense to announce it before the voting, but it's not going to be the same drama that way.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Mo0 posted:

After the votes were cast but before they were read. The blue tribe knew about the twist on their re-vote after the first tie.

I didn't like that twist. First, holding Tribal Council in front of another tribe is stupid, especially when Australian Jeff was directly exposing alliances like Brooke and Flick to the other side. In the U.S. version, sitting in on another tribe's TC was a reward that had to be won at a challenge.

Second, Australian Jeff should have revealed the twist right before the vote rather than after. This way it would have actually felt like a complicated tribe swap instead of acting as a de facto Outcasts twist where they automatically and instantly return to the game without having to do anything. It's unlikely that revealing the twist before the vote would have changed much, but it at least it would have given plausible deniability to the more skilled players down the road. Craig, Andrew, Sue, and Jennah Louise are (unfairly) screwed now if Nick makes it to the swap or merge, whereas if they found out about the twist beforehand they would at least have a chance to come up with a convoluted lie about why they sent Nick to the other tribe. Not only is that version of the twist more fair, it's also more drama-- Nick's confusion about why the vote flipped on him, and a battle of lies and confusion when he reunites with them later is more interesting than a straightforward revenge plot that he did nothing to earn.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You summed up all of my feelings with longer, better words. Thanks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really, I thought it was a fun twist and I also enjoyed that they waited to reveal what they were actually voting for. It takes away from anybody in the tribe trying to come up with an excuse and the twist completely exposed the alliances in a tribe and now they will all have to deal with it.

Also, I propose we use spoilers during the days the show airs, but then let it be open season from Wednesday - Sunday when everyone has a chance to catch up to the latest episodes.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think the consensus is that it's "good tv" and created "good drama" but it kind of shits on the main concept of the idea of Survivor and doesn't at all reward good play. I mean they could just have a reward challenge where the winner gets to see the secret confessionals from other players and that would also satisfy your desire for a "twist [that] completely exposed the alliances in a tribe and now they will all have to deal with it." Except that just wouldn't be "Survivor" either. But whatever. Not like us discussing it in a forum is going to change what they did and we will all probably still watch it. :shrug:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
While twists like this might make "good drama" in the moment, they hurt the show long term. If you count production letting the red tribe get as close to voting out Kat as possible without actually writing her name down, all 3 tribes have now had someone they tried to vote out immediately re-enter the game. In the long term, this discourages aggressive gameplay and big moves since it's harder to justify backstabbing a big power player if you can't trust that voting them out will actually send them home.

ETA: Also "good drama" is not necessarily satisfying. If, during a runaway game of Jeopardy, Alex Trebek automatically bumps the second place player's score before Final Jeopardy to make the match competitive, it might be "good drama" but it's in no way satisfying because it nullifies most of the suspense of the episode and that second place player did nothing to earn that second chance.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
What a convoluted twist that screwed players unnecessarily. Not only that, the cast is massively bloated and needed to be pared down. It's not that regular Survivor is some pure, perfect game that can't be innovated upon, but man. The Kat thing and now this nonsense are stupid. This fake tribal also forced Kylie to reveal information about her idol as well by blatantly tricking the players into thinking they were headed to regular tribal.

By God, if you go to tribal in My Survivor, someone's head is rolling and everyone needs to get their poo poo straight.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody forced Kylie to just blatantly wear her idol to tribal

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the twist was cool as long as they start axing people soon, no more swapsies

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The twist pissed me off. You can't tell people they need to vote for one thing, have them vote and then tell them that the vote was in fact for something else. I'd be OK with it if he sprung it on them right before the vote for some extra chaos, but wow.

And then the tied vote poo poo? That makes it even more unfair because the subsequent votes are cast under a completely different pretext.

And once again, another 90 minutes and the cast is still not any smaller.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have mixed feelings about that twist. I'm not such a purist that I hate it on principle, and as a supporter of Team TV it made for a fun tribal council. Sunapu's tribal alone would have been great, but the sheer stupidity of behaving like that in front of Vavau, dirty laundry and idol and all, was simply delicious (especially for the reaction shots). They could have just behaved like reasonable adults in the middle of a game where information is just about the most valuable weapon you have.

Gameplay-wise, I don't so much mind the initial twist as I do the secondary twist; I would have preferred something like initial immunity for the swapees. It would give them a chance to be used as leverage between alliances, expose tribal cracks, and further give them a fair shake at integrating with a new group. As it is though, two people were unfairly punished (Tegan now can't idol hunt, though that was smart on Nick's part) and as pairs instead of singles, their targets are even bigger than the singles' would have been even without immunity. It tastes too much like the horrible swap mechanic from China.

I don't think it's as hilariously inept as Outcasts, at any rate. Lill makes it to FTC because she's too annoying to tolerate at Ponderosa? Yeah, no.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
The tribal council fuckery on the last two episodes is annoying as hell. You can swap members around, but don't do IR at tribal, and definitely don't replace the elimination with it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I liked the shock of the twist.
And in effect it's similar to randomly pulling buffs out of a bag like happens on American Survivor when tribes are re-shuffled without warning.

Sometimes the game is a matter of random luck like 25 to 55 seconds in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-7B_rqwT5U

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 31, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Except it's not like any of those things.

I don't even care about the "luck" factor, I care about the false pretences of the vote. If AusJeff had have sprung the twist on them 5 seconds before the vote I'd be 10x more OK with it but the way it played out just stinks.

The person that earlier mentioned something along the lines of "even if it was a fun moment, it will hurt the game in the long term" is right. People will not only be hesitant to make big moves, they'll be scared to put them selves out there in any way.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

bowmore posted:

Nobody forced Kylie to just blatantly wear her idol to tribal

nah, the show lied to the players in a really stupid way that forced Kylie amongst others to reveal information that would've otherwise remained secret.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Working my way through these episodes.

Phoebe, why is your mouth perpetually hanging open?

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
The twist was unfair, but I didn't want Nick to go yet so it was ok for me. He has been overdoing it, but he has been one of the few players with some strategy.

No idea how they are going to pare down the cast, though. Double elims the next 2 episodes?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm GIFing this season as we go
http://i.imgur.com/3QKc05T.gifv

I love this take on Survivor. Extra long eps, weird twists, players taking things very personally.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Kat barely squeezes by three times. Everyone is playing too hard (They all chose deceit). It took 4 episodes for Barry to get any lines.

But at least the challenges are good, the host is good, and the production quality seems alright. Some of their choices are questionable but that's pretty typical for Survivor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If Barry is, in fact, playing the strategy of having zero strategy, it's easier to understand why he's not getting much screentime.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Does anyone feel like Australia Jeff was pretty hard on Peter to everyone at the first challenge on the last episode? All like, "Peter decided this game was too hard and he quit" and then a whole monologue about how Survivor Is Difficult? Like, guy told his team to vote him out and then stuck around another three days, presumably hoping that would be his opportunity to get voted out, because he's got some sort of illness and hasn't been able to eat for a dozen days...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
a lot of people applied and he quit pretty quick

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

Except it's not like any of those things.

I don't even care about the "luck" factor, I care about the false pretences of the vote. If AusJeff had have sprung the twist on them 5 seconds before the vote I'd be 10x more OK with it but the way it played out just stinks.

The person that earlier mentioned something along the lines of "even if it was a fun moment, it will hurt the game in the long term" is right. People will not only be hesitant to make big moves, they'll be scared to put them selves out there in any way.
Expect The Unexpected!

Which people will now be scared to make big moves? The ones who were traded are going to want revenge and can change the dynamic of the tribe they went to. The players who did not get traded have potentially new allies to team up with.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

obliriovrons posted:

Does anyone feel like Australia Jeff was pretty hard on Peter to everyone at the first challenge on the last episode? All like, "Peter decided this game was too hard and he quit" and then a whole monologue about how Survivor Is Difficult? Like, guy told his team to vote him out and then stuck around another three days, presumably hoping that would be his opportunity to get voted out, because he's got some sort of illness and hasn't been able to eat for a dozen days...

bowmore posted:

a lot of people applied and he quit pretty quick

Yeah, that was the mateship version of Probst rolling his eyes and chewing people out to their faces for quitting.

I think he'd been able to eat at least. His tribe still had fire and some rewards under their belt. I think that's just kind of why the American version rarely, if ever, casts truly older types.

I saw a something somewhere that their physical fitness exam was laughable, and I wouldn't be shocked if their psych evals don't quite know what to filter for yet.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
I liked the twist but seems better suited for mid game(pre-merge after we get to 2 tribes of ~6) to really cause chaos.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just started episode 6. It's amazing how people can create falsehoods to compensate for their complete disdain for someone. Craig just referred to Nick as "dead weight". He was the one winning every puzzle for your tribe, dumb dumb.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Fun fact: Barry used to play for the Wallabies.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Barry was an idiot. This isn't loving Survivor Borneo back in 2000. Why even cast someone like that?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Why cast someone like Des? They just wanted some poo poo stereotypes. End game is going to be Caucasian mid 20s dream team. "Best cast ever".

They did say that there would be a couple. Can't work out who that is meant to be.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

Why cast someone like Des? They just wanted some poo poo stereotypes. End game is going to be Caucasian mid 20s dream team. "Best cast ever".

The Des stereotype can go deep in the game. Dan Lembo for example.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

xcore posted:

Barry was an idiot. This isn't loving Survivor Borneo back in 2000. Why even cast someone like that?

Had to have their one black guy.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

xcore posted:

The Des stereotype can go deep in the game. Dan Lembo for example.

Des was never going anywhere.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I really hope the move to three nights a week didn't result in them re-cutting the episodes resulting a whole bunch of bloat/padding.

So far we have 8 episodes that go anywhere from 80-120 minutes and five people have been voted out of the game

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I believe the shows alternate in length. 70m then 100m. It was designed to be shown twice a week.

Next week we get the long episodes Sunday and Tuesday.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I don't think it's just editing new episodes out of nothing, because I don't think this last episode seemed like it wasted time, even though there wasn't a tribal council. I think they're just playing with the format a little more loosely than we expected, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Everything gets to breathe a lot more, too, which is nice.

Also the soundtrack gets me so PUMPED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

xcore posted:

I really hope the move to three nights a week didn't result in them re-cutting the episodes resulting a whole bunch of bloat/padding.

So far we have 8 episodes that go anywhere from 80-120 minutes and five people have been voted out of the game

More than likely it's the opposite. And that they moved to 3 nights a week because there is a lot of bloat and non eviction episodes.

• Locked thread