Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Can't be. Kasper Hawser was neither a Remembrancer nor a poet, nor does Bjorn's description mesh at all with anything to do with Hawser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I just finished Pariah. Major blue balls here, I didn't know it was a trilogy.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

PantsOptional posted:

Can't be. Kasper Hawser was neither a Remembrancer nor a poet, nor does Bjorn's description mesh at all with anything to do with Hawser.

Yeah, it was the only person who came to mind but the description didn't stick, it is to deliberate a reference for ADB to not be referring to a specific character.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

They kind of make a big deal throughout the book about how he was the only remembrancer to get an ok from the wolves. Unless you're making a crack about how he went by Ibn Rustah or whatever...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
No, he's explicitly not a remembrancer, he's a conservator. There's a flashback early on where he has to navigate the political bureaucracy of the Administratum and he makes it clear that he wants the Conservatory to be a completely separate entity from the Remembrancer Order - in fact I'm pretty sure it operates independently of the Administratum as a whole.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

PantsOptional posted:

No, he's explicitly not a remembrancer, he's a conservator. There's a flashback early on where he has to navigate the political bureaucracy of the Administratum and he makes it clear that he wants the Conservatory to be a completely separate entity from the Remembrancer Order - in fact I'm pretty sure it operates independently of the Administratum as a whole.

I'm sure the author realises that a 10,000 year old space marine in a walking coffin would make such a distinction. He's referring to Hawser, unless you know of some other mortal who features heavily with Bjorn is previous novels

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Bjorn specifically wouldn't bother to distinguish or even know the difference at all because 1) the Space Wolves don't have remembrancers or conservators; they just have skjalds; also, 2) rather than explaining the differences between Remembrancers and Conservators, Hawser himself responds, "Something like that," when a random imperial guard dude asks him if he's a Remembrancer; likewise, he probably didn't spend a lot of time trying to explain the difference to the Space Wolves while they were just lumping him in as a skjald and threatening to eat him.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Moose-Alini posted:

I just finished Pariah. Major blue balls here, I didn't know it was a trilogy.

Good news, it's not. :hb:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Peztopiary posted:

Good news, it's not. :hb:

Why did he drop them? I'm really sick of space marine books, but need some imperium fix.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Moose-Alini posted:

Why did he drop them? I'm really sick of space marine books, but need some imperium fix.

Same reason he dropped Gaunt's Ghosts. Games Workshop is poo poo.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Moose-Alini posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy script probably came across his desk shortly after Pariah was released.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Are the later Gaunts Ghost books better? I liked the first one okay, but was disappointed the baddie had to be chaos instead of just people fighting against a brutal repressive regime.

I thought it was pretty good but not enough to convince me to go out and buy some more.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Moose-Alini posted:

Are the later Gaunts Ghost books better? I liked the first one okay, but was disappointed the baddie had to be chaos instead of just people fighting against a brutal repressive regime.

I thought it was pretty good but not enough to convince me to go out and buy some more.

the entire series is a treasure which doesn't really hit its stride till book 3-4

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Moose-Alini posted:

oh you sweet summer child

the imperium is the brutal repressive regime that we all know and love

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

The Iron Rose posted:

I was excited about the rebels the ghosts are fighting until turns out they are all corrupted and mindless chaos thralls instead of freedom fighters. That's the kind of stuff I really want to see. Normal people with normal motivations in this horrible universe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... uh...

I just saw an ad for this on tv :psyduck:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Moose-Alini posted:

I was excited about the rebels the ghosts are fighting until turns out they are all corrupted and mindless chaos thralls instead of freedom fighters. That's the kind of stuff I really want to see. Normal people with normal motivations in this horrible universe.

Sorry, the opponents in all the books are chaos.

Arguably, the antagnoist of the books is the brutal, uncaring Imperial war machine

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Demiurge4 posted:

Same reason he dropped Gaunt's Ghosts. Games Workshop is poo poo.

He dropped them because Marvel pays way better. Guardians of the Galaxy is gonna pay the bills better than pulp paperbacks, as good as his are.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
So he's officially said he's done with GW stuff? :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moose-Alini posted:

The first few novels are off an on from decent to good, but from Traitor General onwards, they are really loving good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

So he's officially said he's done with GW stuff? :(

No, he's just writing more lucrative stuff. He's still writing for BL intermittently, he did the first Beast Arises anywho, and I saw him when I was at Warhammer World back in April.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

It gets to a point later where the mindless chaos thralls actually get character. In Traitor General you get a really cool look at society on a chaos world along with characters who are chaos aligned out of weird nationalism almost rather than corruption.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh...

ah gently caress me. no US delivery. i should have expected as much :(

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Iron Rose posted:

40k is that Mitchell and Webb "Are we the baddies?" sketch but instead of running away at the end, a giant insectoid velociraptor alien shows up and they go "oh, right." and go back to fighting.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh...

Hm, why does it feel as though GW will try literally anything except pay proven authors to produce more good stories.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

DirtyRobot posted:

Hm, why does it feel as though GW will try literally anything except pay proven authors to produce more good stories.

Because they don't need to do that, idiot hams will buy anything they poop out.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I was bored enough to watch the fan film Damnatus. I know it was low budget but wow a hive setting is perfect for filming in dorms/abandoned warehouses.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ah gently caress me. no US delivery. i should have expected as much :(
There will probably be a US release later, partworks seem to release on a staggered schedule. TBH it's not worth paying that much for them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

40k is that Mitchell and Webb "Are we the baddies?" sketch but instead of running away at the end, a giant insectoid velociraptor alien shows up and they go "oh, right." and go back to fighting.

The "Are We The Baddies" sketch where the other army is marching under the banner of a rat's anus.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The "Are We The Baddies" sketch where the other army is marching under the banner of a rat's anus.

My god.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chiasaur11 posted:

Holy poo poo

It's canon

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Does anybody have the forum quote about how dark and metal traveling through the warp is? I remember a long time ago somebody posted a great, hyperbolic description of it and I can't find it. I asked for it in the PYF thread and nobody came through.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

From the Dawn of War III thread. Games Workshop has cut ties with Fantasy Flight Games.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

From the Dawn of War III thread. Games Workshop has cut ties with Fantasy Flight Games.

Huh. Leave it to GW to throw away free money.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Does this mean GW plans to take over that material?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Sweet! This means FFG isn't under the restrictions for putting out their own ground based minitures combat game (I think that's why IMPASS is technically a board game?)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Uroboros posted:

Does this mean GW plans to take over that material?

I doubt that - I'm sure that FF wouldn't give up the games they created so GW could take charge and make all of the money. GW might be concerned about IP confusion (i.e releasing BB under FW and some people getting confused as to why their game looks nothing like the miniatures game) but I'm sure GW wanted a larger stake, and FF was unwilling to take a smaller cut for doing all of the work.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

D-Pad posted:

Does anybody have the forum quote about how dark and metal traveling through the warp is? I remember a long time ago somebody posted a great, hyperbolic description of it and I can't find it. I asked for it in the PYF thread and nobody came through.

I'm guessing that was TheCosmicMuffet; he was pretty good at just coming out of the woodwork and posting some absolutely insane poo poo then disappearing for another six months.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Scuttlebutt is that because FFG is doing their own miniatures game with Rune Wars they're in violation of their contract with GW so they cut ties.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sweet! This means FFG isn't under the restrictions for putting out their own ground based minitures combat game (I think that's why IMPASS is technically a board game?)

It's the other way around. FFG has a license for Star Wars miniature games. Hasbro got a little pissy about ImpAss being too board-gamey which they have the SW rights for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Then how the poo poo did ffq make rebellion which is a board game no if's ands or buts?