Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You could see friendly sniper glares, right? I didn't imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Krinkle posted:

I saw lots of glares, but sadly I assumed they were just the enemy team mates because of all the sniper spam. I don't think they'd make sniper glare team only though, but can anyone confirm this?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Monocled Falcon posted:

I don't know if I can go without running around and stabbing people. Is hardline worth picking up?

I got it for $5 and I'm still feeling buyers remorse.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Sammus posted:

I got it for $5 and I'm still feeling buyers remorse.

Ah, I really like the interrogation mechanic. MAKE PREANIMATED TAKEDOWN MOVES GREAT AGAIN!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If anyone is interested the history that inspired the setting of the beta map, this excellent article here is worth a read.

Monocled Falcon posted:

Ah, I really like the interrogation mechanic. MAKE PREANIMATED TAKEDOWN MOVES GREAT AGAIN!

This will also have a single player campaign, so I imagine at some point you might have to do it to get some intel from a enemy soldier perhaps?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chronojam posted:

Does that origin five dollar thing get you dlc access for games also? Because the idea of paying for BF1 with all DLC while also getting all the other EA games with it as a bonus for two and a half years sounds intriguing.

No, it doesn't. Cmon bruh, it's loving EA. If something sounds like you might be getting a good deal, it's a sure sign they're lining up to gently caress you extra hard in the rear end.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Does that origin five dollar thing get you dlc access for games also? Because the idea of paying for BF1 with all DLC while also getting all the other EA games with it as a bonus for two and a half years sounds intriguing.

It's mostly demos, early access and older games without the dlc. Probably not a bad deal on Xbox but maybe not worth as much on PC. I want to see what games they add to it later this year. We know it will not be getting titanfall 2 for at least a year after release but hopefully other games will be added.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:tipshat: that is cool poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:tipshat: that is cool poo poo.

REAL MEN FIGHT IN SHORTS.

But yeah, the guys behind the game clearly know and love the conflict despite the mechanics and some of the design not exactly matching the warfare of the era. It's all fun.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Chomp8645 posted:

I can see the logic. A lot of people don't want to be revived where they died because they are afraid (often correctly) that they'll just be killed again right away. In previous games it was often annoying to be revived by point-hungry medics when you didn't want to be. It was also a common griefer tactic to revive-kill someone in a cycle.

Players can adapt. They will learn "I will not be revived if I do not press the button", and quite possibly many of them don't want to be anyway. As the medic I would suggest simply limiting yourself to people who show they want to be revived.

BF3 let you decide if you wanted to get back up or not. If you were shot in the crawling state, you'd stay dead and lose the ticket refund. If you got up and were killed again, the skit could happen all over again.

:dice: has gone backwards on the implementation of revives. If they don't incentivise syringe use like they did with capping then medics will replace it with rifle grenades and never look back.

Krinkle posted:

Yes and the best part is the almost invisible friendly blip for added confusion.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Delacroix posted:

Yes and the best part is the almost invisible friendly blip for added confusion.

How far away do you have to be for a sniper glare to show up?

I really wanted to know if the scoped medic rifle gave away my position with a glare or not, and I kept running from E to the ottoman's spawn point and pointing back at my friend who never saw one. Step one was confirming that friendly glare even exists. I think the medic scoped rifle doesn't have a glare.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
BF4 had a problem where Assault got the best rifles and could revive. The division of weapons from the class was enough without changing the revive system.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

New Concept Hole posted:

BF4 had a problem where Assault got the best rifles and could revive. The division of weapons from the class was enough without changing the revive system.
that was a really weird design choice. i never felt defibs fit with Assault class and made more sense to have ammo packs. Likewise Medic with bullet hose LMGs was fun+good as hell.

BC2 had the best class structure + associated tools.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xyigx posted:

Yes literally zero is a large number. Like take it all back your a loving idiot who is just poorly trolling.

Stop being a little bitch about this. I tried to be nice and even was willing to change the emblem. But nope your dumb rear end has to try and drag this piss poor lie you keep repeating everywhere. I assume you were hoping your imo zone cod buddies would back have your back and suddenly protect you from the mean old bf goons. Drop the loving lie and stop whining like a bitch, like now. Running around this site accusing a bunch of people of supporting rape with zero proof is not ok under any circumstances. So stop it because your mod buddy is not going to be able to protect you.

And for anyone wondering poo poo for brains there decided to hit the imp zone and basically said you are rape supporters. After multiple people in this thread tried to calm it down and defuse the situation.
*unironically* Nice meltdown.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gonna tear some niggas up in bf4 tonight.

Missed my 870 no sight full choke

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Stuntman posted:

*unironically* Nice meltdown.

SC thread's been moved. Nice try though Toast.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebiros posted:

SC thread's been moved. Nice try though Toast.
Oh poo poo, my bad, gotta update my bookmarks I guess. Thanks for the heads-up.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! I was actually wondering about what WW1 was like in the middle east because of this map, thanks for the link!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

ZAM Article posted:

During the war, people in Europe regarded Middle Eastern operations as an expensive and unimportant sideshow

I would argue that a lot of people in north america and europe even today still think about everything that is not the western front as a sideshow, or at least imagine all combat playing out similar around the globe, ignoring that other fronts/engagements were a lot less stagnant and even featured some very mobile engagements. Sometimes because people didn't have the manpower to construct and support such vast trench networks across the massive frontlines, just because there were not that many machineguns around, or because they were fighting a never ending guerilla war, binding down allied troops in east Africa for the the complete length of the war (+2 weeks).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Monocled Falcon posted:

I don't know if I can go without running around and stabbing people. Is hardline worth picking up?
absolutely loving not

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

I would argue that a lot of people in north america and europe even today still think about everything that is not the western front as a sideshow, or at least imagine all combat playing out similar around the globe, ignoring that other fronts/engagements were a lot less stagnant and even featured some very mobile engagements. Sometimes because people didn't have the manpower to construct and support such vast trench networks across the massive frontlines, just because there were not that many machineguns around, or because they were fighting a never ending guerilla war, binding down allied troops in east Africa for the the complete length of the war (+2 weeks).

I'm hoping BF1 will in a weird small way shatter this view of the conflict and get people book learning or least watching some documentaries now. I'm sort of looking forward to the single campaign now.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Just treat yourself and listen to Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for armageddon" series of audiobooks/podcasts on ww1

e: a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMT_BVBBsA

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 9, 2016

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Feindfeuer posted:

this is because, to paraphrase santa, there are about 300 books on the somme and about 4 on everything else.
in case you're too young to remember thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t51qibwnmE

When I was yae high they only taught me about gallipoli, with most of the facts lifted from the movie. We withdrew under cover of night, and then the war ended and we won. When I was in high school we learned about verdun, the somme etc and the existance of a russian front (apparently some germans were tied down over there for most of the war until the communist revolution). At that time Lawrence of Arabia was as relevant to WW1 as Florence Nightingale. Now after watching that channel on youtube, I found out there's a balkans front, a romanian front, a caucasus front, an iraqi front, a persian front, fighting over the german african colonies...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, the BBC in the sixties did a fantastic documentary about the whole war with first hand interviews with the men who fought in it. It is all on YouTube.

Here is the first episode of of the whole thing with a whole playlist. Prepare to be amazed, saddened and slightly annoyed at the past!

If you haven't the time but want a more compact and brief history of the conflict, with restored archived film footage try some World War 1 In Colour too.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 9, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
There's an excellent book series by Peter Englund that's in the works at the moment. It's basically his earlier book "Stridens Skönhet och Sorg" ("The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimiate History of the First World War") but expanded into several volumes with a lot more content, each volume centered at one specific war year and released 100 years afterwards (so book 1914 was released in 2014). I dunno if these new editions are translated into English but even the original "lesser" version is a great read. It's basically the lifestories of a number of people spanning the entire war, from Tommies in the trenches to nurses at the Macedonian Front and Italian stormtroopers in the alps. Highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Sorrow-Intimate-History-First/dp/0307739287

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And to crosspost this from our own Milhist Thread in Ask Me, goon Trin Tragula since 2014 has been doing a blog covering the events of what happened on each day of the conflict using an almost insane amount of sources. By the time you've caught up to the end of this year the game should be out!

Start reading it here!

Also, when/how do you get this survey reguarding the beta? I want to fill in some text boxes!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Also AHC has been running a series that seems to have 2 different productions called Apocalypse:WW1 that was pretty good.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FYI there's a survey about the beta: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9YFYK3Y

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I've played plenty of Battlefield and Call of Duty with goons, and the CoD community is much more kindhearted and inclusive. They like to joke and have their fun, but in a way that's more socially acceptable I guess.

I've never thought 'Wow, this guy sounds like he has really dark things in his life and he's probably going to hurt a lot of people" about any of the goons I've played CoD with, but some of BF4's LLJK crew... Yikes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
i think it's time for the battle field 4 players to publically apologize in this unrelated thread for battlefield 1, the fifth game in the main battlefield series

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I can't seem to find a BF4 PC thread :/ I found the console one, though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572743&pagenumber=982#lastpost

please post your concerns in this thread firend goon

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Thank you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

404notfound posted:

FYI there's a survey about the beta: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9YFYK3Y

Oh cool, thank you for this will fill it in right away!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just saw a streamer playing BF2 online. How is that possible? I thought BF2 and 2142 multiplayer were gone forever after gamespy shut down? Does anyone still play 2142?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Digirat posted:

Just saw a streamer playing BF2 online. How is that possible? I thought BF2 and 2142 multiplayer were gone forever after gamespy shut down? Does anyone still play 2142?

The community has created some sort of work around that allows the older Battlefields, including 1942 to be playable online still.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Digirat posted:

There are fan-run BF2 servers up at https://battlelog.co/ with 2142 integration apparently in the works.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
A guy on Reddit got some great in-game screenshots using Hattiwatti's Cinematic Tools for freecam.

http://imgur.com/a/NCFxp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

There are fan-run BF2 servers up at https://battlelog.co/ with 2142 integration apparently in the works.

Holy poo poo 2142 is coming on the 23rd. I think my disc is still around. I'm ready. I'm fuckin ready