Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PT6A posted:

No, that's so you can pretend your foot just slipped off the brake if the cop sees you.

I think it was something like this. The green left turn lights had just changed red, but the red "straight" lights hadn't yet turned green. Seemed like they started to roll when the turn light turned red, caught themselves most of the way into the intersection, then "gently caress it" and ran the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

No, that's so you can pretend your foot just slipped off the brake if the cop sees you.

“Running a red light and failing to maintain control of a vehicle? It’s my lucky day.”

—The cop, probably.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
So, turning onto a multilane street here is supposed to be "turn into the nearest lane unless signage/marking indicate otherwise", which is pretty much only used for multiple turn lanes. Not that 98% of drivers actually *do* so unless they actually want that lane, or are physically blocked from doing otherwise.

Heading back to work after lunch, left at the light, SUV ahead of me turns wide into #2 (second from left) lane, what a surprise. (The surprise is he didn't swing further out into #3 or 4.) I crank right into the leftmost lane, and start passing Captain 20 MPH... whereupon the land barge flips on his signal and starts back over into the left lane because that's the one he *really* wanted, yup.

Starts merging back without looking, of course.

Aborts the maneuver when he *finally* notices a red minivan is already in the lane and passing his dumb rear end (front end well past the driver's window before he signaled, and I'm loving shocked that he did).

Slowly waddles over after I pass and continues down the street at maybe 25, and then slops into the carwash three blocks down from the light. No surprise there, either, asshat drivers are *always* hitting that carwash - they have a nice little set-back lane so you can pull out of traffic before actually turning into the driveway, but maybe 1 in 5 will use that, instead of just turning right out of traffic.

Can we just put up Jersey barriers to force proper lane usage when turning? I mean, it won't fix these pinheads' driving, but at least there'd be more high-centered/half- or -fully-flipped cars to laugh at.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's okay if you do it slowly.
I thought it was like stealing a base in baseball, you gotta start doing it when no one is watching and make it to the other side without anyone hitting you with sometihng.

(don't actually do this)

wayfinder posted:

How about really obese people?

I have no idea. I haven't seen that yet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

Now to be honest, there is massive placard fraud here (becausr you get free unlimited street parking) and those people are loving assholes.
One of my personal bugbears, which I'm sure I've ranted about here before, is that in the UK it's general policy not to give parking tickets to disabled badge holders even on double yellows ("do not park here at all").

If there a double yellows, that means parking there is an obstruction or otherwise a hazard. Disabled status does not affect that. No-one should be allowed to, so ticket them.

If it's safe for a given car to park there, then it's safe for any car to park there, so it shouldn't be double yellows.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kastein posted:

I thought it was like stealing a base in baseball, you gotta start doing it when no one is watching and make it to the other side without anyone hitting you with sometihng.

If you run a red light and nobody is around to see it, did you break the law?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You're disabled, but your car isn't. No parking in no parking zones!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

InitialDave posted:

One of my personal bugbears, which I'm sure I've ranted about here before, is that in the UK it's general policy not to give parking tickets to disabled badge holders even on double yellows ("do not park here at all").

If there a double yellows, that means parking there is an obstruction or otherwise a hazard. Disabled status does not affect that. No-one should be allowed to, so ticket them.

If it's safe for a given car to park there, then it's safe for any car to park there, so it shouldn't be double yellows.
I still remember my favorite abuse of parking was seeing someone pull there BMW SUV onto the hatch marks beside the handicapped spot before running into the store, car still running. No placards, plates or visible disability (except for the Beemer. . .) just stereotypical gently caress you, I'm special . . . and its not a handicapped spot.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I still remember my favorite abuse of parking was seeing someone pull there BMW SUV onto the hatch marks beside the handicapped spot before running into the store, car still running. No placards, plates or visible disability (except for the Beemer. . .) just stereotypical gently caress you, I'm special . . . and its not a handicapped spot.

Had a staff member (intern or student, certainly not fully licensed nurse/whatever) decide that she could park her lil' sportbike in the clearly-marked loading space between the two handicapped spots. Tried to tell me "oh, I didn't know you can't do that", and kept blowing me off when I told her to move the bike.

Facilities called to tell her it was going to be towed, she got her rear end out and moved it.

Had to tell the receptionist at a different one of our buildings to go find the staff member that parked their truck in the space on the far side of the handicap spot - which *isn't* a space, it's the driveway. Third building, someone thoughtfully parked in the spot, no plates/placard/nothing, directly in front of the sign that says "permit/plates required".

Of course, cops come by fairly often (we're a behavioral-healthcare provider) and if they don't just park up the fire lane, they tend to pull into the handicap spots of they're open. (Non-emergency calls - emergencies, they'll park wherever and I don't have an issue with it.)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Working evening shift at the grocery store, nothing made my day like tipping off our evening security officer (sworn LEO) about some "I'm better than you" college student parking their BMW/VW/Merc in the handicap spots to hit up the ATM.

If I still had my old Imageshack account I'd post the writeup I got for telling one girl "You'd better get another $250 for that ticket you're about to get".

I don't have any friends or family with a placard, I just enjoy ruining someone's day when they're also being dickheads. Schadenfreude addict I guess.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wayfinder posted:

How about really obese people?

gently caress em, they ate themselves into that state, they can go on a loving diet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're the ones who should be walking more :colbert:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I saw the parking lot cop again and turned on my blinker in the parking lot this time because our little piece of the world will operate by the rules set forth in the constitution

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Elsa posted:

I saw the parking lot cop again and turned on my blinker in the parking lot this time because our little piece of the world will operate by the rules set forth in the constitution
Use your blinker all the time even if you're the only one on the road in a turn only lane, please.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Use your indicator when the road curves, as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Use your hazard lights to indicate that you are going straight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What we need as standard equipment is a 24 inch led matrix that allows us to display emoji to the car behind us, allowing us to indicate an unlimited variety of intentions to the traffic behind us.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

mine would display "levitating businessman" (🕴) 100% of the time

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

If you run a red light and nobody is around to see it, did you break the law?

Not in some states, although you may be required to be on a motorcycle or bicycle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

What we need as standard equipment is a 24 inch led matrix that allows us to display emoji to the car behind us, allowing us to indicate an unlimited variety of intentions to the traffic behind us.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d138/

Not standard equipment but for $40 we can use it in our ancient rust buckets!

Uthor posted:

Use your hazard lights to indicate that you are going straight.
No kidding, people here use their turn signals to indicate going straight. Like, the major road is curving right and a minor is continuing straight and there's also a left turn. They'll indicate left and then go straight.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

mobby_6kl posted:

No kidding, people here use their turn signals to indicate going straight. Like, the major road is curving right and a minor is continuing straight and there's also a left turn. They'll indicate left and then go straight.

Hahaha, that must be maddening. People near me do that on a roundabout all the time. Going straight? Well, I do have to turn right then a little left, so I'll indicate as such! People also tend to use whatever lane they want and take whatever exit they want, screw the flow of traffic and right of way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I frequently signal to go into a turn only lane and then turn off the signal, because why does it still need to be on?

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 8, 2016

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

At this point, signals mean "something may or may not happen in the near future", same as brake lights.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jamal posted:

I frequently signal to go into a turn only lane and then turn off the signal, because why does it still need to be on?

Is blinker fluid particularly expensive where you are?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

It signals you aren't the jackass who doesn't know what lane you're in like the jackass who almost hit me in the bike lane and the car next to me because she wanted to go straight from the right tyrn lane.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's more like when I'm stopped in a left turn lane that gets a protected left, why sit there and listen to it click?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because the rules say to have your blinker on.

Obviously you're free to ignore those rules, and all drivers routinely break rules so no one's got the moral high ground, but it doesn't change that that's what the rules tell you to do.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You're just doing it wrong. You're supposed to get in the turn lane and start your turn, then hit your signal.

At least, that's how it works according to every single driver around me.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
No, you're not supposed to use the turn lane, you're just supposed to come to a dead halt, turn on the signal and slowly proceed into your turn, all from at least one lane over from the turn lane.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Cage posted:

Use your blinker all the time even if you're the only one on the road in a turn only lane, please.

It was a parking lot, at a T and he's standing in the intersection to help with our zipper because that justifies an hourly wage. I left my signal off because I didn't want to insult his intelligence or be facetious. There was nowhere else I could go, it was silly. Then he dropped his hands and stared for a couple seconds and asked me which way I was going. I pointed and it didn't occur to me what he was getting at, and then he said I need to turn my blinker on. According to his vest and patches he's Police police

They give these people guns and that poo poo is disturbing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Old timers strike again.

Driving home on a limited(ish) access four lane highway, posted 50 MPH zone, road wet with light rain. While approaching a signaled intersection with a stopped left turn lane with about a dozen cars stacked up an older guy in a Nissan SUV about three or four cars back decides he isn't going to turn after all, and he also isn't going to bother to check his mirror or signal, and just pulled out in front of me when I was maybe two car lengths behind him, while I was doing 55.

By all means I should have plowed right into him, or at the very least spun out after making a sharp avoidance maneuver given the conditions. But by some small miracle the right lane was empty, I missed him by inches and maintained control through the intersection. Bastard caught back up with me at the next light and wouldn't even make eye contact, gently caress him :argh:

And it just dawned on me that I should have stopped and bought a lottery ticket, but now the moment has passed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Geoj posted:

And it just dawned on me that I should have stopped and bought a lottery ticket, but now the moment has passed.

You already blew your luck on avoiding getting murdered by the guy, sorry.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elsa posted:

It was a parking lot, at a T and he's standing in the intersection to help with our zipper because that justifies an hourly wage. I left my signal off because I didn't want to insult his intelligence or be facetious. There was nowhere else I could go, it was silly. Then he dropped his hands and stared for a couple seconds and asked me which way I was going. I pointed and it didn't occur to me what he was getting at, and then he said I need to turn my blinker on. According to his vest and patches he's Police police

They give these people guns and that poo poo is disturbing.

Traffic laws don't apply on private property, they aren't roads.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

Some cop told me it was still reckless driving to do wheelies in the parking lot because it was publicly accessible, and thus (in Texas) traffic laws applied. He was probably full of poo poo, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

mobby_6kl posted:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d138/

Not standard equipment but for $40 we can use it in our ancient rust buckets!

Not worth it if "gently caress you" isn't one of the options

Raluek posted:

Not necessarily.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Today he placed hisself out on the street to direct traffic at the outlet. lol

The blinker thing was an honest mistake but I get the feeling trouble has found me now, and I don't need to be on youtube as don't taze me bro #2. I'm going to wait until after rush hour or leave campus through a different exit.

I'm sure the school has given their police detachment full jurisdiction or whatever.

These people get to carry guns around citizens, students for that matter. How inadequate does a person have to be to still feel the need to push their weight around.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I was going to say civilians but police are civilians too. lol

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elsa posted:

Today he placed hisself out on the street to direct traffic at the outlet. lol

The blinker thing was an honest mistake but I get the feeling trouble has found me now, and I don't need to be on youtube as don't taze me bro #2. I'm going to wait until after rush hour or leave campus through a different exit.

I'm sure the school has given their police detachment full jurisdiction or whatever.

These people get to carry guns around citizens, students for that matter. How inadequate does a person have to be to still feel the need to push their weight around.

So you got triggered by a cop scolding you and somehow he's the wrong one?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
lol. sup bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Conversely
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d8_1473280853