Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

It's because eating crabs is stupid. Butchering crabs is a ton of work for tiny amounts of meat and basically human beings shouldn't eat crabs unless stranded on a desert island.
wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I once had a giant cup of fresh as gently caress crab cocktail at the Seattle fish market. This thing was like a red solo cup full of bomb rear end crab. A squirt of lemon and a bit of fresh cocktail sauce.
God drat it was good.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

shoophobo posted:

I once had a giant cup of fresh as gently caress crab cocktail at the Seattle fish market. This thing was like a red solo cup full of bomb rear end crab. A squirt of lemon and a bit of fresh cocktail sauce.
God drat it was good.

how much did that run you llike 20 bucks?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
Maybe like $15? Idgf it was worth it

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I'm a good christian man. I like my steak raw and my fish cooked thank you very much

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I'm a good christian man. I like my steak raw and my fish cooked thank you very much
enjoy your real animal protein while you can before FEMA camps and soylent green becomes a reality

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

from a yelp review from a couple years ago:

He has a well-deserved reputation for being a bit cantankerous. I asked a couple of "wrong" questions the first couple of times I came in. Lots of stuff on the menu just isn't available, and if you ask for it, you are asking for trouble. Standing at the counter and waiting for him to take your order is a Grade 1 insult. Just sit down. If you're alone, don't sit at one of the 3 tables that can handle more than 1 person. Wait quietly and he will ask you what you want when he's ready to do so. Know what you want before he asks, and make sure you have a backup in case what you ask for isn't really available. Because half of the menu items aren't really available at all.

This is a man who sells food for almost cost, and refuses any attempt to leave him a tip. In fact if you push him on it, he will remember you and decline to take your order next time.

If this is the place in Nashville, TN, I've been there. Super cheap, big rolls.

A friend of mine used to go in there all the time. Sometimes you would order something, and he would just make you something different because he didn't feel like making what you ordered.

One time when my friend we eating there, the owner saw some other people people coming up to the door and told him to lock it because he didn't want to serve anyone else.

Ditto on the tip business

I heard he shut the doors to the place - story was he lost some family to the tsunami and closed up shop shortly after :smith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The day Japan can make a plate of Tex-Mex that is not an abomination before all that is good and right with the world is the day I start giving a poo poo about their insanely persnickety sushi rules.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

looking good. hope there is ketchup at the table. i need a lot!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

rezatahs posted:

looking good. hope there is ketchup at the table. i need a lot!

*dips them rice side first into a pool of ketchup*

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
don't judge me for putting wasabi in my ketchup

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
I used to eat rice with ketchup as a child

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Q: what is sushi's blood type

A: O-

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Applewhite posted:

*dips them rice side first into a pool of ketchup*
take out the seaweed and you've got a normal filipino meal

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

he looks kind of like that guy with thousands of dollars worth of naked anime lady statues that he licks

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

he's right, the only crop worth growing is the hamburger plant, every other thing takes too much effort and really what's the difference between one protein and another mirite?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

he looks kind of like that guy with thousands of dollars worth of naked anime lady statues that he licks

He's actually a gun carrying libertarian weirdo

Wait a minute.....

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I like to use his recipes.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

made on $5.99 wow thats fresh

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

potato rolls topped with gravy and cheese curds... is this some kind of weird mexican ramen??

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

poutine sushi

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I grew up eating sushi, the main problem with sushi places on the US mainland is that the rice usually sucks. My girlfriend who grew up in Michigan has no idea what I'm talking about when I say this.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

im gaye posted:

i bet you eat cali rolls like some kind of huge dork

skipping in from the first page to say that if you haven't had a cali roll with real dungeness crab you haven't lived

but mostly get nigiri or sashimi, gently caress rolls

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crab rangoon. Packed with cream cheese flavor and deep fried in tempura batter. Made in america :911:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wasabi is a pretty crazy thing

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
apple wite do u like nigiri

this is a serious question

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

apple wite do u like nigiri

this is a serious question

Yeah I do. I don't get it often though because the cost per unit is so high and the serving size is like 2 pieces.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I do. I don't get it often though because the cost per unit is so high and the serving size is like 2 pieces.

i think snobs get them for a palate cleanser for whatever dish and such

happens in fancy asian restaurants i find

they are good, i get tuna and salmon nigiri from the grocery store because theres like 6 of them with rolls as well

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

i think snobs get them for a palate cleanser for whatever dish and such

happens in fancy asian restaurants i find

they are good, i get tuna and salmon nigiri from the grocery store because theres like 6 of them with rolls as well

I just eat the ginger to cleanse my palate.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

I just eat the ginger to cleanse my palate.

idiot you're supposed to gargle wasabi to do that

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Ditch the rice and just get sashimi

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Why does sushi have all these goddamn rules? Nobody at the mexican place is going to hassle you if you break apart your enchilada, pour all the salsa in, then cut it up with a knife to baby sized portions, and then wrap a tortilla around that. All of the items are there for you, use none or all of them, who gives a poo poo?

I've heard that if you put the knife a certain way on a Japanese plate, you are insulting them by telling them to kill themselves. Also, if you leave chopsticks sticking out of rice, you are reminding them of their impending death. This is why that whole population is going to disappear in 30 years, they are all too butt hurt about food.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

German innovation.

http://my-little-japanese-world.blogspot.ca/2013/04/japanese-meets-italian-pasta-bento.html

Can someone post the pictures ITT I'm having trouble on my work computer getting imagebucket to work properly.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

ElGroucho posted:

Why does sushi have all these goddamn rules? Nobody at the mexican place is going to hassle you if you break apart your enchilada, pour all the salsa in, then cut it up with a knife to baby sized portions, and then wrap a tortilla around that. All of the items are there for you, use none or all of them, who gives a poo poo?

I've heard that if you put the knife a certain way on a Japanese plate, you are insulting them by telling them to kill themselves. Also, if you leave chopsticks sticking out of rice, you are reminding them of their impending death. This is why that whole population is going to disappear in 30 years, they are all too butt hurt about food.

the japanese have a poo poo ton of rules for everything because they feel a deep sense of shame that they have been basically been playing catchup with at first china and then the west forever, and every time they have decided they finally reached the point they could supplant either and overstepped their bounds they have been decisively smacked down

but if they just keep sticking to the rules eventually they can reach that pinnacle again for another brutal kick in the nuts

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I remember a korean place nearby that got in on the whole serving sushi trend in addition to their regular "chinese" food menu(it was actually like other chinese restaurants but also with the korean staples like bulgogi and kimchi) and I noticed a sign they put up. It said that if they catch you getting sushi and just eating the fish off it, they'd charge you double the buffet price. And I didn't know which was sadder: the fact that such a thing happened, or that it happened so often that they went out their way to get a sign about it.

Then the place closed, opened again briefly, then closed for good. They had good food, but the prices were on the high end, lovely people didn't eat the rice, and a lot of other places did the same foods just as good.

The other sushi place was great, the old guy made some delicious handmade sushi at great prices, but he closed soon after his wife a kid, I heard he moved back to home overseas or something. I miss the BBQ eel roll for 8 bucks.

Well, those are two sushi stories. I have more, but :effort:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why did they give a poo poo what you did with the rice after you paid for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im getting hungry

• Locked thread