Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somebody make a game called Rouge Rogue where all the randomized equipment is different kinds of makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

megane posted:

Somebody make a game called Rouge Rogue where all the randomized equipment is different kinds of makeup.

I'm pretty sure that would be considered a rouge-light.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

megane posted:

i would play it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Many of the ladies in the rouge lite district are under extreme stress - they risk permadeath every day.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Rouge is the best character in every game that offers one. Pity so many get it wrong.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, really -- "buy a Windows computer for gaming" is not valid advice for the majority of the population. Either due to budget ...

Well yeah when you overpay for one computer it's hard to afford a second. But that's a "budget" problem like this is:
https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Well yeah when you overpay for one computer it's hard to afford a second.

Did you loving read my post where I suggested they had a six-year-old Macbook? Or did you just see "ooh he mentioned budgets when talking about Macs, I can make a joke about how they're overpriced!" Do you exist in some world where it's impossible for poor people to own anything that isn't the absolute cheapest possible product without those poor people de facto having made bad budget decisions? A computer can last for over a decade, especially if you're careful with it; a lot can happen to someone's circumstances in that time. Especially in our bugfuck crazy country where a single unexpected medical crisis can bankrupt an entire family.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol you are getting upset arguing with fishmech maybe go for a walk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Did you loving read my post where I suggested they had a six-year-old Macbook?

Yeah if you bought a six year old Macbook you spent way too much money for a laptop. It's simple. They're expensive computers and always have been.

It's like complaining that you can't fit a Genesis in your budget back when those were current because you went and blew $600+ early 90s money on a 3DO.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 9, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Hasn't bootcamp been a thing for like a decade now anyways?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Bootcamping your macbook essentially means that you're either committing yourself to playing for a worthwhile amount of time in one go, or essentially having to be a windows user. I play games in tandem with doing other things, not necessarily at exactly the same time, but especially for roguelikes, advising people to dual boot is not very helpful.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I'm the guy who bought a mac, expected everything to get ported to it, then got loving pissed when I found out it wasn't so

ama

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Also why isn't there a linux version of this, huh? HUH?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Did you loving read my post where I suggested they had a six-year-old Macbook?

did you read the words to the left of his post?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I love fishmech and when I lay quiet in my dwindling moments of life I will think fondly back on my days on The Something Awful Forums reading threads of people debating with fishmech about everything forever.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm the guy who bought a mac, expected everything to get ported to it, then got loving pissed when I found out it wasn't so

ama

Don't be dumb, no one is getting pissed off about games not being ported, people are saying they won't buy a game because it's not on a mac and are saying that if you want to reach mac people you need to port or build your game cross platform, and then other people jump on them and tell them they're stupid for buying a mac. That what pisses us off.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay off one of these expensive macbooks that have been the same price for like 5 years now while surfaces cost 4x more.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Unimpressed posted:

Don't be dumb, no one is getting pissed off about games not being ported, people are saying they won't buy a game because it's not on a mac and are saying that if you want to reach mac people you need to port or build your game cross platform, and then other people jump on them and tell them they're stupid for buying a mac. That what pisses us off.

Fair enough, but how 'bout them roguelikes, huh? I was playing some Cataclysm earlier. The last time I played it, it was still being written by the original author. It's come quite a way since then

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hasn't bootcamp been a thing for like a decade now anyways?

Unimpressed posted:

Bootcamping your macbook essentially means that you're either committing yourself to playing for a worthwhile amount of time in one go, or essentially having to be a windows user. I play games in tandem with doing other things, not necessarily at exactly the same time, but especially for roguelikes, advising people to dual boot is not very helpful.

Tried helping a friend with Bootcamping his Mac. Turned out to be a nightmare, and we ended up going Parallels.

Also, want to thank the thread for the Neurovoider recommendation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah is a windows VM really that crazy? Like sure, a bit silly to have to do that to play some game, but it's not really that hard to fix rather than post about it.

I mean, I personally think the genre took a wrong turn when they started making games that couldn't run in ssh terminals, but such is life and I'm not going to avoid those games just because of that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Foo Diddley posted:

Fair enough, but how 'bout them roguelikes, huh? I was playing some Cataclysm earlier. The last time I played it, it was still being written by the original author. It's come quite a way since then

DId you play the experimental version?
Last I heard of CDDA they were adding morale penalties for not doing your laundry.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Last I heard of CDDA they were adding morale penalties for not doing your laundry.

Pretty accurate, my wife does that to me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just tried Streets of Rogue and it's pretty much as nuts as it sounded from everyone's descriptions. I made a jock character who would ram through entire buildings with his face, bounce off of an unfacerammable wall, beat anyone who disapproved of his rampant property destruction to death with his fists, and then pillage and eat their precious bananas and hamburgers. His rampage lasted until level 2-1, where a rocket launcher-wielding killer robot blasted him out of his unstoppable face-charge and into a private residence, whereupon the police swarmed and murdered him for trespassing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I did, but I died long before I had to worry about the laundry

Maybe they'll make you mow the lawn around your base next

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hey, I'm trying to remember the name of a particular roguelike. It was steam early access, and I believe still is, described itself as retro-futurist, and had a lot of mutations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Caves of Qud. It has a thread.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Awesome, thank you so much!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

Awesome, thank you so much!

Also it is awesome.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Has anyone tried Halcyon 6 yet? It launched today and looks pretty interesting, but most of the professional reviews are from Early Access. At a glance, it seems to be kind of like a single-player 4X roguelike with jRPG combat and the base-building parts of XCOM, which definitely sounds like my jam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

Has anyone tried Halcyon 6 yet? It launched today and looks pretty interesting, but most of the professional reviews are from Early Access. At a glance, it seems to be kind of like a single-player 4X roguelike with jRPG combat and the base-building parts of XCOM, which definitely sounds like my jam.

The combat is pretty...:flaccid:

There are influenced from both XCOM 2 and FTL but the combat is what's tying everything together and it just mediocre RPG combat.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just started playing Nethack and I'm already pretty addicted.

Is there anything wrong with drinking every potion as soon as I find it? I have no idea what any of them do but none of them have killed me yet.

I *have* learned pretty quickly not to drink every fountain dry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. Jive posted:

Is there anything wrong with drinking every potion as soon as I find it? I have no idea what any of them do but none of them have killed me yet.

I never played much Nethack but based on my Crawl experience, you're probably okay with drinking everything as long as you do that in safe areas.

There are always some tricks (like spawning rules and such) that could help you to narrow down what kind of potion it might be but that would require you to be autistic, so just stick to drinking everything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr. Jive posted:

Some of them can do enough damage to kill you if you don't have much in the way of hitpoints.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Jive posted:

It took me a very long time to connect the fact all my stuff was cursed with all the fountains I was drinking out of.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Jive posted:

Potions of particular types can be pretty rare, I always saved them until I had identification to spare. You can also bless them to make them better, especially the ones that are really good already, so unless it's an emergency they're better held onto. Also, there are nasty ones. Scrolls are also better identified magically and saved until blessed.

Jack Trades posted:

I never played much Nethack but based on my Crawl experience, you're probably okay with drinking everything as long as you do that in safe areas.

There are always some tricks (like spawning rules and such) that could help you to narrow down what kind of potion it might be but that would require you to be autistic, so just stick to drinking everything.

Crawl is this way because people got sick of how cautious you used to have to be, though, which is an attribute old Crawl shared with Nethack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The "identification minigame" is the worst thing about NetHack. It used to be the worst thing about all oldschool roguelikes, but several of them have started wising up and fixing their dumb, boring systems. The problem boils down to the games rarely putting enough pressure on you to make you want to risk using unidentified items/gear, but also making it stupidly hard and/or annoying to actually figure out what the gear is. NetHack is particularly bad because its primary methods of "global" identification are price-IDing and B/U/C testing, neither of which actually tells you what the item actually does. Instead you have to memorize a huge class of potential items and then do a bunch of specific tests like trying to write with wands, or scratch things with rocks.

Even Angband, which has limitless magical identification, has made big strides towards making identification easier; they have a test build where instead of identifying items, you identify attributes like resist fire or see invisible, and once you learn an attribute on any item you recognize it on every item for the rest of the game. Relatively quickly you start automatically identifying the entirety of everything you find, with the rare exception always being interesting because it means you've found an attribute you haven't seen yet.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gave Streets of Rogue a try. It's... interesting? I think Shapeshifter was the class I was having the most fun with, but apparently it's bugged so if you get a mission to free a slave, mind control someone and use that someone to kill the slavemaster, you don't get credit for freeing the slaves and you can no longer complete the quest. :saddowns:

It'll be interesting to see what gets added down the road.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

lol have we truly forgotten our roots so badly

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

lol have we truly forgotten our roots so badly

I played it and I didn't like it.
Crawl is much more structured and polished. Less crazy poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Nethack is a formative game for the genre, but also a bad game.