Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Almost overnight the Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade was in full flower, and Captain Black was enraptured to discover himself spearheading it. He had really hit on something. All the enlisted men and officers on combat duty had to sign a loyalty oath to get their map cases from the intelligence tent, a second loyalty oath to receive their flak suits and parachutes from the parachute tent, a third loyalty oath for Lieutenant Balkington, the motor vehicle officer, to be allowed to ride from the squadron to the airfield in one of the trucks. Every time they turned around there was another loyalty oath to be signed. They signed a loyalty oath to get their pay from the finance officer, to obtain their PX supplies, to have their hair cut by the Italian barbers. To Captain Black, every officer who supported his Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade was a competitor, and he planned and plotted twenty-four hours a day to keep one step ahead. He would stand second to none in his devotion to country. When other officers had followed his urging and introduced loyalty oaths of their own, he went them one better by making every son of a bitch who came to his intelligence tent sign two loyalty oaths, then three, then four; then he introduced the pledge of allegiance, and after that “The Star-Spangled Banner,” one chorus, two choruses, three choruses, four choruses. Each time Captain Black forged ahead of his competitors, he swung upon them scornfully for their failure to follow his example. Each time they followed his example, he retreated with concern and racked his brain for some new stratagem that would enable him to turn upon them scornfully again.

Without realizing how it had come about, the combat men in the squadron discovered themselves dominated by the administrators appointed to serve them. They were bullied, insulted, harassed and shoved about all day long by one after the other. When they voiced objection, Captain Black replied that people who were loyal would not mind signing all the loyalty oaths they had to. To anyone who questioned the effectiveness of the loyalty oaths, he replied that people who really did owe allegiance to their country would be proud to pledge it as often as he forced them to. And to anyone who questioned the morality, he replied that “The Star-Spangled Banner” was the greatest piece of music ever composed. The more loyalty oaths a person signed, the more loyal he was; to Captain Black it was as simple as that, and he had Corporal Kolodny sign hundreds with his name each day so that he could always prove he was more loyal than anyone else.

“The important thing is to keep them pledging,” he explained to his cohorts. “It doesn’t matter whether they mean it or not. That’s why they make little kids pledge allegiance even before they know what ‘pledge’ and ‘allegiance’ means.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Franklin Lane is everything, every idiot's emotion and truncated process of reasoning, every mistaking of enthusiasm for competence, that is wrong with the United States today and I sense his pneuma animating Facebook and Steve Doocy

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

botany posted:

it wasn't originally a poem, it was part of a speech delivered on flag day 1914, because of course the americans have a flag day lmao

botany posted:

are we pretending now that the US isn't overdoing it?

Party Plane Jones posted:

nobody observes flag day

Cthulhumatic posted:

Flag Day is a loving obscure holiday that I don't even think that the Boy Scouts recognize.

I mean, I think nationalism is pathetic and the line between it and patriotism is blurry at best, but is the US the lone country with these issues?

DID SOMEBODY SAY FLAG DAY!?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Indoctrination is in fact good

please do not have any critical thinking whatsoever to address glaring hypocrisy coming out of this, especially when someone who is making lots of money to throw a ball around is raising awareness on a national level.

Thanks in advance.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

Indoctrination is in fact good

please do not have any critical thinking whatsoever to address glaring hypocrisy coming out of this, especially when someone who is making lots of money to throw a ball around is raising awareness on a national level.

Thanks in advance.

Please observe many rituals in sequence, they are not required but our local paramilitary force may decide not to protect you from crime, if you do not

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gyges posted:

On the other hand she did blame her kitten for ripping a sink out of the wall. Classic Republican move that.
haha I'd never heard about this, this owns

Koko is not a very good liar

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Flag Day exists so that retailers have an excuse to leave up all their patriotic decorations between Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
I honestly can't even follow what this argument is any more. I feel like that's a running theme in this thread.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cthulhumatic posted:

Flag Day is a loving obscure holiday that I don't even think that the Boy Scouts recognize.

I mean, I think nationalism is pathetic and the line between it and patriotism is blurry at best, but is the US the lone country with these issues?

we have more patriotism because we're better, actually

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, there are gas-fired dryers. They allegedly make clothes fluffier than electric ones but I've never noticed much of a difference other than it being an extra fire hazard on top of lint clogs.

My god I can't imagine how people put up with second rate crap like electric stoves/ranges and electric dryers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Cthulhumatic posted:

I honestly can't even follow what this argument is any more. I feel like that's a running theme in this thread.

https://youtu.be/8TDC9s-Kt-8

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Doctor Butts posted:

My god I can't imagine how people put up with second rate crap like electric stoves/ranges and electric dryers.

Because propane is loving expensive. For as much natural gas as Pennsylvania has, we have almost no infrastructure to deliver the gas to consumers, outside of the major metros.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doctor Butts posted:

Agreed on the stove/range, dryers eh they dry quicker with gas so yeah that's an improvement.

Grills though? Gas is a crutch for the weak.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

FAUXTON posted:

Agreed on the stove/range, dryers eh they dry quicker with gas so yeah that's an improvement.

here comes the inevitable KoTH propane reference

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even if gas doubled in price overnight a natural gas water heater would still be cheaper than an electric one.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Quoted for block hardwood charcoal supremacy

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, the entire Seattle Seahawks team is planning a protest of police brutality during the national anthem at their game this Sunday, September 11th.

Get ready for a lot of mad people.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently, the entire Seattle Seahawks team is planning a protest of police brutality during the national anthem at their game this Sunday, September 11th.

:munch:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:hawksin:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't wait for the predictable "well we won't do our jobs then!" whiny police union rep response.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh my god I can't wait for the backlash against professional non-sexhaver Russell Wilson, heretofore "one of the good ones"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The team could still short-circuit controversy by hastily playing the anthem while the players aren't on the field.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Instant Sunrise posted:

Flag Day exists so that retailers have an excuse to leave up all their patriotic decorations between Memorial Day and the 4th of July.

Flag Day exists so China can make more money selling rubes bits of multi-coloured cloth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Instant Sunrise posted:

https://youtu.be/kdTfLDIbwow

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

The pressure of condensed poo poo at Wells Fargo hit critical mass and they were forced temporarily to pull the release valve, fired 5,300 employees for being low-level fuckers.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/

Ah yes Wells Fargo

quote:

These loans, Baltimore officials have claimed in a federal lawsuit against Wells Fargo, tipped hundreds of homeowners into foreclosure and cost the city tens of millions of dollars in taxes and city services.

Wells Fargo, Ms. Jacobson said in an interview, saw the black community as fertile ground for subprime mortgages, as working-class blacks were hungry to be a part of the nation’s home-owning mania. Loan officers, she said, pushed customers who could have qualified for prime loans into subprime mortgages. Another loan officer stated in an affidavit filed last week that employees had referred to blacks as “mud people” and to subprime lending as “ghetto loans.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/us/07baltimore.html?_r=0

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

How come RCP doesn't currently show the Rasmussen poll from yesterday showing Clinton +4? They usually count Rasmussen, don't they?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

quote:

.. To willingly allow anyone to hijack this tradition that means so much to millions of Americans...

:chloe:

help my tradition is being robbed because someone wont do it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HEY KIDS, IT'S TIME FOR YOUR DAILY BILL MITCHELL, USPOL STYLE!
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/774244723909337088
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/774245106161418240
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/774245616054599680
THIS HAS BEEN YOUR DAILY BILL MITCHELL.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

If the national anthem is played in a forrest with no one around to hear it, do Twitter uses still send hate mail?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crows Turn Off posted:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

How come RCP doesn't currently show the Rasmussen poll from yesterday showing Clinton +4? They usually count Rasmussen, don't they?

Because it's under the 4-way tab.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/773992121619578880
I'm neutral, leaning to "Ok with this". Thoughts?

The US assisting the Saudi's attacks on civilians in Yemen is an unpublicized tragedy. So yes, anything that would gain more attention to it I'm for.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you're not allowed to complain about anything when your rich, then why doesn't he attack rich people for complaining about taxes and everything else?

Or is there... something different about those which people are allowed to complain about?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Doctor Butts posted:

If you're not allowed to complain about anything when your rich, then why doesn't he attack rich people for complaining about taxes and everything else?

Or is there... something different about those which people are allowed to complain about?

"NOT RACIST" - Bill Mitchell

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Doctor Butts posted:

Guess how many responses down it takes for 'thugs' to come out on the first tweet.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 9, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just saw the comic in the OP and god drat that is me. :smith:

I'm starting to think 538 and RCP were a mistake. Or maybe just not meant for public consumption.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crows Turn Off posted:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/president/

It does. The filters on that site (or I guess more accurately, how polls are entered) sometimes get hosed up.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Trump is loving insane with Putin.

He has nothing to gain politically by espousing him and everything to lose (deeply unpopular with US electorate, a despot, does the things people are afraid of Trump doing) and somehow doesn't understand that you do not have to be complimentary every time that you talk about someone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

straight up brolic posted:

He has nothing to gain politically by espousing him and everything to lose (deeply unpopular with US electorate, a despot, does the things people are afraid of Trump doing) and somehow doesn't understand that you do not have to be complimentary every time that you talk about someone.
Also he seems to be taking Putin at his (sometimes mistranslated) word when he complements him back. How stupid is this guy?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

I would not be surprised if Putin had a higher approval rating in the USA than in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boxcar posted:

Vomit. This is a woman who gets paid millions of dollars to give speeches - it is her main source of income. She is in the stratosphere of speakers with few who you could point to who earn more - the Michael Jordan of her field. This schmaltzy appeal to emotion does a disservice to her capability - boo hoo hoo, the lady paid some of the most money ever to give speeches gets criticism on her speaking ability. If the highest paid athletes can take critiques on their abilities, so can she without making appeals to sexism on her behalf. Sure, there are sexist attacks against her, but these are outliers and noise compared to her level of success. Hard to argue things are holding you back when you are at the top of your field and anyone who buys into this bullshit should think more critically. I wish I was as bad at speaking as her.

I think its pretty interesting. Female comedians at the top of their game have talked about this before, mimicking the aggressiveness of men causes a blacklash in any profession, and I like that Hillary is bringing more attention to it.

• Locked thread