Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Azhais posted:

Just set animal areas

I like them helping during crop harvest time though :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

These questions Jesus Christ.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

LonsomeSon posted:

Instead of butchering them and then making kibble I just construct an extra, smaller freezer for an outsider corpse locker and let my dogs go have a gnaw when they want some meat. Bonus: the dogs take care of stocking their pantry after every fight.

Genius.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Do colonists notice if you use human meat in pemmican? I have too many corpses and not enough dogs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Rimworld: Do colonists notice if you use human meat in pemmican? I have too many corpses and not enough dogs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Away all Goats posted:

I like them helping during crop harvest time though :saddowns:

Make a small low priority stockpile right outside your pantry. Humans will go inside to the high priority fridge, the pets will set stuff outside since that's the only applicable stockpile for that good they can reach. Nice tidy short haul piles for one person to focus-haul

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Make a small low priority stockpile right outside your pantry. Humans will go inside to the high priority fridge, the pets will set stuff outside since that's the only applicable stockpile for that good they can reach. Nice tidy short haul piles for one person to focus-haul

This is what I do. One fridge that only my colonists can reach attached to the butcher and cooking rooms, then another, larger stockpile outside it with animal access that the dogs drop my harvests in. When the main fridge needs restocking my colonists handle it, and if the fridge somehow gets emptied the low priority stockpile is close enough that my cook can reach it.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if every poster in this thread was on a government watch list.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Sparticle posted:

Do colonists notice if you use human meat in pemmican? I have too many corpses and not enough dogs.
I don't know for sure, but if the ingredients list shows human meat in it, then chances are they'll get a mood hit.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

NatasDog posted:

I don't know for sure, but if the ingredients list shows human meat in it, then chances are they'll get a mood hit.

We should be able to keep food ingredients a secret a la Snowpiercer. But if one of the non psychopath colonists accidentally stumbles into the secret butchery and sees where his meat actually comes from, immediate -30 mood hit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
We're going with Snowpiercer and not Soylent Green here?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pardon?

well gently caress me thanks for being the first person to show up at my settlement with no clothes, a club, a poo poo personality and total unwillingness to do like any of the tasks I need you to do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's a oval office, he's got good combat stats, and his own club.

He's your new pointman.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just set him to tame animals and have him tame everything on the map until a warg eats him.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Just set him to tame animals and have him tame everything on the map until a warg eats him.

:ssh:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

dear loving lord this game makes us into monsters

edit: also, people should post layouts. I'm trying to get ideas for when my current outpost collapses horribly

Here's my most recent base layout. Note the Toxic Mist that just dropped mid-summer to gently caress up my day. I have a ton of food stored, but the growing season ends like the 11th of fall, so if this mist hangs around long enough my winter's going to suck. I just started making Lavish meals too, so much for that.

I'm thinking I might rearrange the kitchen and butcher so I can put an airlock to the fridge, to try and keep as much cold inside it as I can. Same on the dining room side.

Note how I made a bunch of 1 tile stockpiles for my tailoring room, each one holds 1 type of leather/wool, ask me how tedious that poo poo was. I really wish you could configure the number of stacks that one stockpile will accept for each item it's allowed to hold, it would really simplify my stockpiles.

I try to lay my bases out as ergonomic as possible. The bedrooms are assigned to the pawn most likely to use the work area closest to it. It's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to 'crafting' unless you dedicate guys to tailoring, smithing, etc. Same with the cook/butcher. Regardless, I try to make it so my pawns have to walk around as little as possible to get to work/resources, and then have a small army of dedicated haulers to keep them stocked up.

Any questions, ask.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dude also has asthma lmao

I gave him a machine pistol and he's gonna go ham as soon as I get invaded.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Earl Alex, male villager of my gently caress house, age 51.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not like he's a sheriff. He's a warden that can fight, just give him an area that doesn't involve other humans, bring him out for recruitment and combat.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Did Tynan change the thing where you had to put the bed in the middle of the room to get the most benefit from it? I think it was related to the spacious room modifier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nullkigan posted:

Did Tynan change the thing where you had to put the bed in the middle of the room to get the most benefit from it? I think it was related to the spacious room modifier.

Corners are still considered more cramped than the middle of the room (because space is a measure of your ability to swing a cat, not the total volume of space enclosed by a door, a tiny alcove is still cramped even if it's in a big room), but colonists don't give a gently caress about spacious rooms, or much else, while they're asleep.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, my only consideration with placing beds is how close it is to the door and whether or not it's blocking my embrasure windows.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

Earl Alex, male villager of my gently caress house, age 51.

lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cargo pods with nothing but like 200 units of chinchilla meat just crashed near my colony

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:stare:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Away all Goats posted:

How do you ensure your dogs are eating the corpses instead of your regular food stockpile?

Yeah the dogs actually have access to the crop storage areas so they can help with the harvest; I haven't learned food:population ratios or any poo poo like that so I just plant enormous fields and have an ever-expanding cave freezer.

They don't have access to the animal-meat locker, though. I've taken to making this a corner in my original freezer and eventually splitting it off into a discrete structure, where there's a critical-priority stockpile for animal corpses and then another one for meat storage, the dogs have access to the corpse drop but not the meat stockpile. They're welcome to eat as many potatoes and berries as they want, but seem to prefer meat, or at least they tend to go through corpsicles rapidly enough that I've never managed to fill up a 4x4 dog pantry.

This does mean that every game I need to manually drag out a dog/hauler animal area which is literally the entire map except for the few areas I want them out of, so they can take care of an increasing portion of the hauling load as they reproduce and get trained up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I had a "wanderer joins if you defend them from invaders" event right after uncovering that, and I instagibbed one of them with the psychic lance inside the ruins

this lady's stomach is "destroyed", but they're still kickin it just fine

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

IronicDongz posted:

I had a "wanderer joins if you defend them from invaders" event right after uncovering that, and I instagibbed one of them with the psychic lance inside the ruins

this lady's stomach is "destroyed", but they're still kickin it just fine

If you want to hire her, get her a "donor" stomach if you can. Missing stomachs mean they get very little nutrition from food, so they drain your stocks super fast.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mzbundifund posted:

If you want to hire her, get her a "donor" stomach if you can. Missing stomachs mean they get very little nutrition from food, so they drain your stocks super fast.
I captured a guy, but there's no option to harvest his stomach. Do I need a technology or something? I can harvest heart, lungs, etc just fine.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sorry that was misleading. You can't harvest a stomach, you have to engage in the black market and buy one off a trader. I know it's dumb that you can't when you can harvest other internal organs. This mod enables stomach harvesting as well as allowing you to make your own prosthetics later.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Throw some walls up in there and have a few beds cozy with those pods and you've got a colony going.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:chloe:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you had enough time and resources going by the first pic to put down a fire block

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
How? Am I just supposed to build a stone wall all the way around my houses?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
concrete / cut plants and do it strategically!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Good god randy. I get a phonecall, figure I am ok for a bit and keep it running instead of paused because i have a lot of poo poo queued up.

I come back and eight colonists dying in a fire in my only wood structure because of a flash storm nailed it. Only survivors are my two prima-donna no dumb labor pawns. They get upset and get in a fistfight, putting the only one with any medical stats in the hospital. Aaaaaaand bam, raid. 3 pirates with shields and clubs beat the poo poo out of everyone still breathing.

goddamn I was so close to having everything converted from wood.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 10, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

concrete / cut plants and do it strategically!

Or just sit sipping your drink and watch them die works too. :munch:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

IronicDongz posted:

cargo pods with nothing but like 200 units of chinchilla meat just crashed near my colony

Wait until it drops about 7 people's worth of human meat :unsmigghh:

Is that boomrat yours?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

How? Am I just supposed to build a stone wall all the way around my houses?
Why not? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Out of curiosity, why'd you dig out your rock like that ?