Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LGD posted:

that she merely "overheated" in the sun, and had made a full recovery at her daughter's apartment

she probably did overheat and I'm sure she felt better once she'd sat down and rehydrated, but that was clearly secondary to a known underlying issue, and 100% a lie of omission and a deliberate attempt to mislead the public regarding the state of her health

which might indeed be fine after a course of antibiotics, but when a candidate/campaign had obviously made an attempt to mislead people before being caught out, why take anything they say at face value?

lol in which alternate reality does the media report on lies of omission by non-Clintons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Daniel Bryan posted:

Pretty good article from Ta-Nehisi Coates on how the media was quick to criticize Clinton's "basket of deplorables" comment without even trying to figure out if it was true: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/they-are-all-breitbart-now/499511/?utm_source=feed

Here's a journalist who had the audacity to post about his personal dealings with deplorables:

Donald Trump fans have been sending me racist, hateful messages for months. Here's a sampling.

quote:

March 14, 2016: "Since we're stereotyping maybe we should start asking to see your green card. You a spic or a beaner?" – @HurtinCowboy, via Twitter.

quote:

uly 13, 2016: "You have been always been [sic] a biased reporter IMO [in my opinion], but now you are an obvious and clear bigot that is inflaming the political situation. Your obvious latino background (dark, short, fat) should preclude/disqualify you from the political scene in this presidential election. ... FYI, I have studied some journalism, did a lot of professional writing in industry. Also have graduate degree from a top university."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

lol in which alternate reality does the media report on lies of omission by non-Clintons?

lol in which reality do you think this is actually a persuasive argument

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
With Clinton at death's door who will President Kaine pick as his VP?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Trump still refuses to release his tax returns? Well that's just good business sense, can't blame a guy for that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

LGD posted:

that she merely "overheated" in the sun, and had made a full recovery at her daughter's apartment

she probably did overheat and I'm sure she felt better once she'd sat down and rehydrated, but that was clearly secondary to a known underlying issue, and 100% a lie of omission and a deliberate attempt to mislead the public regarding the state of her health

which might indeed be fine after a course of antibiotics, but when a candidate/campaign had obviously made an attempt to mislead people before being caught out, why take anything they say at face value?

oh whatever. a few hours while they decide exactly what to tell the media is nothing, and she did go to her daugher's apartment to cool off and felt much better a few hours later.

yes, they weren't telling the media about the pneumonia - because the media would use that to create a much bigger scandal.

And considering that it's exactly what they did, her campaign was exactly right.

Oddly enough, the usual channels seem to have wholly accepted the pneumonia explanation on my facebook feed. How much this will hurt her is a pretty open question.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Well I mean he is mentally impaired so maybe he can smell his own.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Why do so many people hate Hillary Clinton compared to Trump? Like have 8 years of Obama made people forget how bad Bush and company hosed the country after being given a blank check to enact policy after 9/11?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Here's a journalist who had the audacity to post about his personal dealings with deplorables:

Donald Trump fans have been sending me racist, hateful messages for months. Here's a sampling.

Why do these idiots always have to qualify their bullshit with some made-up make-believe fakey-fake credentials at the end? No one's listening! No one cares!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fits my needs posted:

Why do so many people hate Hillary Clinton compared to Trump? Like have 8 years of Obama made people forget how bad Bush and company hosed the country after being given a blank check to enact policy after 9/11?

Because she's been attacked since the 90s. People aren't making poo poo up when they say that all of this garbage is a retread from 25 loving years ago.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

fits my needs posted:

There were no terrorist attacks during the Bush years, remember?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's really cool that white racists are trying to make bigot and racist into insults only they can use because "only minorities can be racist against whites."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, are we gonna go 2 for 2 for the loser not releasing their tax returns?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This guy on MSNBC is really harping about Clintons pneumonia. I don't understand why this is such s big drat deal.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Oxxidation posted:

Why do these idiots always have to qualify their bullshit with some made-up make-believe fakey-fake credentials at the end? No one's listening! No one cares!

because they earned those credentials entirely to be able to lend more credence to their arguments, not to learn anything

he probably does have a Masters in an unrelated field, took a journalism class in college, and wrote 3 articles for a small publication, and has never learned anything in his entire life

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

fits my needs posted:

Short version: 25 years of media exposure with the right wing doing its damnedest to make non issues appear to be looking conspiracies.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Phone posted:

Hm?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

fits my needs posted:

My parents, who both voted for Clinton in 92, refer to her as 'THAT BITCH' or 'HILDABEAST' (unironically) because the right has systematically spend 25 years tearing her down for having the balls to tell conservative men to go gently caress themselves.

In spite of the fact that her policies are pretty generally far right of actual social democracies, she is a 'communist' who will 'kill us with taxes' and 'destroy our military.'

None of this is founded in facts--but people are dumb and if you repeat something enough times, a casual observer will accept it as fact.

It is amazing she has withstood a quarter-century of character assassination, and I admire her for that. No wonder she's loving secretive.

And I can't wait until she's slipping a knife between the ribs of the congressional conservatives while whispering a lullaby.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

The dude left his name in the e-mail. I want to e-mail the reporter and ask him to verify that guy's poo poo.

I mean, it is totally possible. It was posted before in reference to someone else, but wherever the degree is from is obviously some sort of business degree.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

R-Money didn't release his tax returns because "lol get hosed". Now Trump is pulling the same poo poo.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Phone posted:

R-Money didn't release his tax returns because "lol get hosed". Now Trump is pulling the same poo poo.

He did.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...7738_story.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kherman/status/775397654503251969

Oh like you even need to say Florida Man

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phone posted:

Romney did release his, eventually.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

From Huffpo:

Bring Back Bernie Sanders. Clinton Might Actually Lose To Trump

Without clicking, guess who wrote it.

Go on, guess!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

From Huffpo:

Go on, guess!

HA Goodman!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Romney did release his, eventually.

Yea but wasn't it basically the financial version of Trump's doctor report?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh, I somehow managed to forget about Therapeutic Horses for some ~mysterious~ reason.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LGD posted:

lol in which reality do you think this is actually a persuasive argument

as opposed to "really the campaign was lying by telling the truth and waiting a few hours to add all the details"?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea but wasn't it basically the financial version of Trump's doctor report?

Nah, it was legit and he caught a lot of flack for the low rate he was paying.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
It is OK for campaigns to have things they don't want to tell you

it totally depends on what type of thing it is!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Radish posted:

It's really cool that white racists are trying to make bigot and racist into insults only they can use because "only minorities can be racist against whites."

They're taking back the word bigot.

What's up mah bigga?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

oh whatever. a few hours while they decide exactly what to tell the media is nothing, and she did go to her daugher's apartment to cool off and felt much better a few hours later.

yes, they weren't telling the media about the pneumonia - because the media would use that to create a much bigger scandal.

And considering that it's exactly what they did, her campaign was exactly right.

Oddly enough, the usual channels seem to have wholly accepted the pneumonia explanation on my facebook feed. How much this will hurt her is a pretty open question.

And in those few hours their first instinct was to lie - something that was extremely transparent to anyone following the news.

How people interpret that is up to them, but if you're not in the tank 100% for Hillary already this entire episode really does not look good and feeds directly into several of the more credible narratives against her.

I also think you're misreading me- it being a mild case of pneumonia makes perfect sense and I don't know why anyone would doubt that- they got caught in a modest lie and quickly came clean, which is frequently the best approach when that happens. It's just that if there were any underlying issue that made catching pneumonia more likely, would this episode make you think she'd be inclined to hide it until absolutely forced to do otherwise? Which could be a problem, if for some reason, she needed to have credibility in the eyes of the public regarding health issues.

Trabisnikof posted:

as opposed to "really the campaign was lying by telling the truth and waiting a few hours to add all the details"?
yes, I'm sure without that video they'd have totally disclosed everything, that's a totally credible thing reasonable people would believe

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 12, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

dicks assassin posted:

They're taking back the word bigot.

What's up mah bigga?

It's extremely politically incorrect to call a white person a racist

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

From Huffpo:

Go on, guess!

Any Day Now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Nah, it was legit and he caught a lot of flack for the low rate he was paying.

I think it was just the most recent year or something.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Also:

The sad result of making a statement

Short story but really hosed up.

Black quarterback asks his teammates to stop using racial slurs before playing a majority black football team. They don't listen. He kneels in protest during anthem. As a result, he gets a bunch of racist and threatening texts.

But I grew up in that 'area' and, yea the whole south suburbs are Racist Central. Fitting, since those suburbs are the result of white flight.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

LGD posted:

and in those few hours their first instinct was to lie, and do it in a way that is extremely transparent to anyone following the news

how people interpret that is up to them, but if you're not in the tank 100% for Hillary already this entire episode really does not look good and feeds directly into several of the more credible narratives against her

I also think you're misreading me- it being a mild case of pneumonia makes perfect sense and I don't know why anyone would doubt that- they got caught in a modest lie and quickly came clean, which is frequently the best approach. It's just that if there were any underlying issue that made catching pneumonia more likely, would this episode make you think she'd be inclined to hide it until absolutely forced to do otherwise? Which could be a problem, if for some reason, she needed to have credibility in the eyes of the public regarding health issues.

Saying "SHE HAS PNEUMONIA" off the bat, instantly, would actually have fueled more speculation - the pneumonia excuse would be viewed as The Lie.

Revealing the thing they didn't want to after a little bit made it clear that it was the truth. I doubt this was planned strategy, but it actually works better than your plan.

Again, as with hiding the illness in the first place - there's no winning move here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LGD posted:

And in those few hours their first instinct was to lie - something that was extremely transparent to anyone following the news.

How people interpret that is up to them, but if you're not in the tank 100% for Hillary already this entire episode really does not look good and feeds directly into several of the more credible narratives against her.

I also think you're misreading me- it being a mild case of pneumonia makes perfect sense and I don't know why anyone would doubt that- they got caught in a modest lie and quickly came clean, which is frequently the best approach when that happens. It's just that if there were any underlying issue that made catching pneumonia more likely, would this episode make you think she'd be inclined to hide it until absolutely forced to do otherwise? Which could be a problem, if for some reason, she needed to have credibility in the eyes of the public regarding health issues.

yes, I'm sure without that video they'd have totally disclosed everything, that's a totally credible thing reasonable people would believe

Do you actually have any proof they lied or are you making poo poo up?

Telling the truth but not including all the details you desire isn't a lie.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LGD posted:

which might indeed be fine after a course of antibiotics, but when a candidate/campaign had obviously made an attempt to mislead people before being caught out, why take anything they say relating to their health at face value?

Why hasn't Hillary told us yet what she had for breakfast? What is she hiding?

Why hasn't Hillary told us about her secret deals with Omicron Persei 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I found that on r/politics and even they're rolling their eyes at him now. Top comment was just "Yes, it's HA Goodman"

• Locked thread