Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fun IRL fact, the first versions of those guns were used by the Boers in the Boer War and the dum dum rounds they fired were fired on British soldiers. Boy that war was fulla war crimes!

Unless I'm missing something, how is shooting at your enemy with a gun a war crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Unless I'm missing something, how is shooting at your enemy with a gun a war crime?

those type of bullets are basically (actually are? Idk) hollow points, which violates the Hague Convention when used in war (obviously between two parties who are signatories to the convention)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:tipshat: eonwe

quote:

During the Hague Convention of 1899, the British delegation attempted to justify the use of the dumdum bullet by pointing to its utility when putting down colonial unrest. Barbara Tuchman writes that, "Developed by the British to stop the rush of fanatical tribesman, the bullets were vigorously defended by Sir John Ardagh against the heated attack of all except the American military delegate, Captain Crozier, whose country was about to make use of them in the Philippines. In warfare against savages, Ardagh explained to an absorbed audience, "men penetrated through and through several times by our latest pattern of small calibre projectiles, which make small clean holes," were nevertheless able to rush on and come to close quarters. Some means had to be found to stop them. "The civilized soldier when shot recognizes that he is wounded and knows that the sooner he is attended to the sooner he will recover. He lies down on his stretcher and is taken off the field to his ambulance, where he is dressed or bandaged. Your fanatical barbarian, similarly wounded, continues to rush on, spear or sword in hand; and before you have the time to represent to him that his conduct is in flagrant violation of the understanding relative to the proper course for the wounded man to follow—he may have cut off your head".[19] However, the rest of the delegates at the Hague Convention 1899 did not accept this justification and voted 22–2 to prohibit the future use of the dumdum bullet.

Haha loving :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Eonwe posted:

those type of bullets are basically (actually are? Idk) hollow points, which violates the Hague Convention when used in war (obviously between two parties who are signatories to the convention)

Yep.

Of course my country more or less imprisoned the Boer farmers families in the first modern concentration camps and more or less let their farms rot forcing the Boer states economy to tank to the point of utter collapse but dammit man THOSE BULLETS KILL OUR GUYS SUPER BADDER!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

South posted:

As long as there isn't a recreation of Popedactyl's BF3 server with tehinternet as an admin everything should be fine.

Heh.

I'm the Brett Favre of badmins. I send pubbies pictures of my dick I'm never truly done badminning. It changes you. It never leaves.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You know what we've not mentioned yet, for those of us who played the beta.

The terrain has some interest deformation going on. Like a shell or explosion can make a sort scrape deep enough to cower in and snipe/throw grenades/shoot wildly with the lmg and pray over. Me and some squadded up goons captured D and C twice using improvised shell hole cowering tactics.

Great way to ambush vehicles too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
AT mines make gigantic ditches compared to other explosives, it's only right that tanks will drive into them and blow up now that they don't have the crutch of thermal vision.

Also if snipers are camping a rooftop you can use dynamite and take out the floor underneath them. I only wish support got dynamite so they can do rapid house renovations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Support just needs more kit options in general. Alpha/beta options were just ammo and tripwires. Every other class got the fun toys.

I'd say give them dynamite, and maybe even the AT rifle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonkish posted:

Support just needs more kit options in general. Alpha/beta options were just ammo and tripwires. Every other class got the fun toys.

I'd say give them dynamite, and maybe even the AT rifle.

Eh, I'd say that the only class with decent options was the Assault. Medic basically had medkits and grenades since revives were buggy and everyone mashed on the spacebar to release quickly. Recon has flares and k bullets. I don't think anyone used binoculars as a real gadget. The flashbang gun was good, but most recons were just sniping meaning it wasn't useful to them.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Periscope binoculars were the best poo poo and nobody can convince me otherwise.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I doubt Support will get dynamite, seeing as giving Support C4 in BF4 was such a hassle for balance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Perhaps the Support should either have the bundled grenades. Or just give him the AT Rocket.

I mean the AT Rocket makes more sense when you think about it, you should be proned and deftly tucked away just out of sight as Support. Assault should balls to the wall running around storm trooping and nading poo poo.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Nebiros posted:

Can I get the version of BF4 you've been playing, it sounds like a good change of pace from BF4's normal gameplay of dodging hill wookies, idiots with DMRs that can't aim and LMGs everywhere. Would make my ASVAL antics easier.

BF1 related question though, have they said if there's going to be all class weapons aside from the pistol? If I'm going to play JJ Abrams' attempt at a Battlefield game and stick with my AT habits, I'd like a gun that that didn't feel like a clunky piece of poo poo. Especially since we don't have flashbangs and tasers to just play Axe Cop hero like in Hardline.

Team deathmatch or Rush. Either one, everybody runs medic, everybody uses aek-971 or m416. Ina game at the end of it's lifespan, I expect everybody to have gravitied to the 'best' options, but it's so unsatisfying.

I'm not looking for a game where killing people is this multi-phase QTE, but I'm tired of guns with no frigging impact to them. if nothing else, the sound design of BF1 seems loads better over BF4.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The bayonet certainly has impact!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Monocled Falcon posted:

Team deathmatch or Rush. Either one, everybody runs medic, everybody uses aek-971 or m416. Ina game at the end of it's lifespan, I expect everybody to have gravitied to the 'best' options, but it's so unsatisfying.

I'm not looking for a game where killing people is this multi-phase QTE, but I'm tired of guns with no frigging impact to them. if nothing else, the sound design of BF1 seems loads better over BF4.

i take it youve never fired the UTS?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

sarmhan posted:

The slug shotgun was surprisingly great for me in the beta. It's just weird to get used to, and you have to swap to your pistol to finish people off.

just lol if you're not caving in another soldier's face with a fuckin mace when running with the slug shotgun ALL THE drat TIME :black101:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Stationary AA that can actually kill planes (and other things to boot) is a first for the battlefield series

Actually in BF2 I knocked down quite a few planes in CAL play by using stationary emplacements. It helped that our jet and I were working together to knock down their jet and actively talking to eachother though (i.e. If you can force him to bank by A that would be *BOOOM*)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Perhaps the Support should either have the bundled grenades. Or just give him the AT Rocket.

I mean the AT Rocket makes more sense when you think about it, you should be proned and deftly tucked away just out of sight as Support. Assault should balls to the wall running around storm trooping and nading poo poo.

Yeah, this makes sense. The AT rocket rifle thing seems like the perfect support weapon. Assault got all the AT options in beta, by the looks of it. I don't know if they'd want the AT rifle to be on the ammo class, though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I played assault so I could get the AT gun and just countersnipe or take out jeeps. It was fun as gently caress but I was essentially in a support role and hated the SMGs; I'm a bolt-action guy

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Don't forget the support will likely have the small mortar to sit back and generally miss targets with.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Off to a great start here.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh hey the thread's back.

Yeah the new origin interface terrible and everything is way too large and everything takes more clicks and the friends list is no longer a separate window. I have no idea why they stopped copying Steam and started copying the worst iPad interfaces - complete with hamburger menus!

If you haven't fired up Origin since the beta ended get ready for a shock!

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Periscope binoculars were the best poo poo and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Yeah the red outline spoting made helping your air and armor have a easy time killing everything. I only wish more people had used it. I think it was you or Jeremyy who spotted a tank with them that I was about to drive in front of. Instead I got to drive around behind him and wreck his poo poo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Support with AT rifle would be a better AT class than the actual AT class since right now the limiting factor on the rifle is ammo. It's super satisfying to sneak on a tank, put 3 AT rounds in its butt then become useless, let me tell you.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I'd usually just suicide after my AT gun ran out in beta because nobody was running support and I hated the assault class guns.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

xyigx posted:

Yeah the red outline spoting made helping your air and armor have a easy time killing everything. I only wish more people had used it. I think it was you or Jeremyy who spotted a tank with them that I was about to drive in front of. Instead I got to drive around behind him and wreck his poo poo.

Honestly I would love more people playing dedicated spotter as a bad pubbie. I'm blind as a bat when it comes to locating things hiding in plain sight or in dark spots of the screen and it resulted in a lot of embarrassing deaths in the beta. It's me, I am the enabler for pubbie snipers

I'm completely new to modern FPSs and it took me a while to discover the hint that told me I can peek from around a corner or behind cover with RMB and such. It may also have been that everything in Sinai Desert shares the same earthy color tones and/or I may need to pull my monitor closer to me.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Delacroix posted:

Also if snipers are camping a rooftop you can use dynamite and take out the floor underneath them. I only wish support got dynamite so they can do rapid house renovations.
That's what artillery is for. By the end of beta, every time we captured D I'd try to get on one of the artillery pieces and just blast apart every roof I could between D and C.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Support with AT rifle would be a better AT class than the actual AT class since right now the limiting factor on the rifle is ammo. It's super satisfying to sneak on a tank, put 3 AT rounds in its butt then become useless, let me tell you.

'Hell yeah almost got the guy now I just need one more shell OH gently caress OUT ALREADY!'

It really was annoying when you got even the toughest tank on ropes and you've only got three rockets on you.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

KM Scorchio posted:

I'd usually just suicide after my AT gun ran out in beta because nobody was running support and I hated the assault class guns.

Use the Shotguns like man, sir. Shotguns are best guns. Never mind AT gun for tanks. You run n' gun around C with your buckshot avenger taking out mans and using your AT rocket to kill snipers. :black101:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

'Hell yeah almost got the guy now I just need one more shell OH gently caress OUT ALREADY!'

It really was annoying when you got even the toughest tank on ropes and you've only got three rockets on you.

I noticed some people holding back on firing at obviously-soon-to-be-dead tanks because they wanted to get the last shot in for points.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

afkmacro posted:

I noticed some people holding back on firing at obviously-soon-to-be-dead tanks because they wanted to get the last shot in for points.

On that note, It's pretty nice you get credit for knocking out and disabling parts on vehicles as well as telling snipers to gently caress off and a bunch of other things. I just hope they bring back tickets.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

afkmacro posted:

See I don't get that line of thinking. My thinking is "either I'm going to kill this mother fucker or tee him up so someone else can knock him into space."

Firing AT rockets at tanks is literally never a waste.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Was the exact same with the AT nades too, you'd throw 3 at a tank, get it disabled, then sit there with your dick in your hand as noone else shot it.

Meanwhile with the support kit you just spam light AT nades at everyone and everything.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It certainly made you appreciate the field guns until of course they were knocked out by the bombers/tanks and they remained useless twisted metal wrecks.

They should also consider giving the support a limited repair kit or something so we can at least get those loving guns repaired.

If you've not done the survey yet, feel free to throw those ideas at DICE maybe they'll notice!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I filled out the survey but LBR I did that for hardline too and look how much that POS improved from beta to release (it didn't).

Some YTuber (i think lvlcap) had a recap/review of the beta and it was basically a list of all the bullshit the goons have been complaining about here. I mean the game's kinda fun with goons but the pub experience is just so bad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I filled out the survey but LBR I did that for hardline too and look how much that POS improved from beta to release (it didn't).

Some YTuber (i think lvlcap) had a recap/review of the beta and it was basically a list of all the bullshit the goons have been complaining about here. I mean the game's kinda fun with goons but the pub experience is just so bad.

It sucked but it was a free game and a lot of pubbies were new to the series and hyped over the trailers. I doubt a lot of them barely ever went near the Battlefield games before. I am eager to see how the game plays after release fingers crossed it won't be too much of a cluster gently caress.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

It certainly made you appreciate the field guns until of course they were knocked out by the bombers/tanks and they remained useless twisted metal wrecks.

I don't know why dice avoids bringing back good features from previous games but stationary weapons should respawn if destroyed. It shouldn't require reinventing the wheel for age-old problems.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Delacroix posted:

I don't know why dice avoids bringing back good features from previous games but stationary weapons should respawn if destroyed. It shouldn't require reinventing the wheel for age-old problems.

It makes no sense because well, unless the structure they are mounted on can be knocked out you can have invincible heavy machine guns like the ones at D.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure the field guns and flak guns do respawn they just take a while to do so? Or do they need a pilot/tanker to repair them? Admittedly I didn't pay that much attention but I'm fairly certain that I've seen them come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I'm pretty sure the field guns and flak guns do respawn they just take a while to do so? Or do they need a pilot/tanker to repair them? Admittedly I didn't pay that much attention but I'm fairly certain that I've seen them come back.

Sadly the field guns I encountered were either prestine or broken to gently caress during the beta. I never witnessed any pubbie repairing anything. I got out and repaired my tank and armoured car twice during the beta.