Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

ColdPie posted:

We're going camping this weekend with our new Dutch oven. I'm definitely planning to make biscuits and we'll probably cook bacon and eggs. Anyone have any favorite camping Dutch oven recipes?

https://youtu.be/p9g392de0NM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ColdPie posted:

We're going camping this weekend with our new Dutch oven. I'm definitely planning to make biscuits and we'll probably cook bacon and eggs. Anyone have any favorite camping Dutch oven recipes?

Camp Curry.
curry paste, coconut milk/+stock, chicken thighs, rice + veg.

Add in order listed with a minute or three between the first and second ingredients, and five between the third and fourth.
Serve when rice is done. 15-20m.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

ColdPie posted:

I did this with a few changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5LjJnazVuA

I seared the outside of the chicken first and for veggies I just did yukon golds and carrots. Looked like this (cook it breast side down, I just flipped it for the photo):

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Leviathan Song posted:

Dutch oven cobbler. Butter the bottom of the dutch oven. Pour in a big can or two small cans of pie filling. Pour a bag of cake mix on top in a layer of even depth. Slice up a stick of butter and put slices on top distributed roughly evenly. Cook until bubbly.
Don't eat this unless you're a loving 10 year-old kid in a boy scout camp-out. That poo poo is foul

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

Don't eat this unless you're a loving 10 year-old kid in a boy scout camp-out. That poo poo is foul

It's dump cake, and it tastes fine. Good way to feed a bunch of people something sweet in the woods.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I found my old, beat up, scratched up and poorly seasoned cast iron pan but my oven doesn't have a self cleaning option, would 550F be sufficient to remove the old seasoning or should I see if my BBQ is big enough to fit my cast iron pan, other option is steel wool and soap?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

whatupdet posted:

I found my old, beat up, scratched up and poorly seasoned cast iron pan but my oven doesn't have a self cleaning option, would 550F be sufficient to remove the old seasoning or should I see if my BBQ is big enough to fit my cast iron pan, other option is steel wool and soap?

550 won't cut it. I'd give it a go on the hottest your BBQ will get, let it cool down, rinse, then hit it with steel wool to clean it up.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
Thanks, I've got it on the BBQ now, currently 650F and climbing. The temp gauge only goes to 700F but I'm guessing it can get hotter in there if I leave the cover closed, not sure if I have enough propane to keep it in there an hour but I'll leave it in for as long as I can then I'll go with soap followed by steel wool.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Amazon had a couple deals going on

preseasoned skillte

enameled dutch oven

Don't know anything about them just thought id share

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Leviathan Song posted:

Beef burgundy

We ended up doing beef burgundy for dinner, and then cooked bacon and eggs on the upturned lid the following morning. Now I've filed divorce papers so I can get married to this oven.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Amazon had a couple deals going on

preseasoned skillte

enameled dutch oven

Don't know anything about them just thought id share

Those are made in china. They could be nice but most chinese cast iron is weak from the lovely metal used, has casting flaws, has rough spots that aren't cleaned up at yhe factory.

Lodge pans are only a few bucks more and are a known quality.

Also get at least a 5qt dutch oven if you want to fit even a small roast.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A specific question I know... anyone used a cast iron kettle?

Example that caught my eye:
Old Mountain 78226 Cast Iron Tea Kettle
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AT5CF8

I'll be using it for making tea mostly, and the awesome look on the stove.

Anyone know if the water flavour is affected etc or are there other considerations? Wondering if rust might be one of the considerations...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

read the reviews, it will rust

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You just have to season the kettle by brewing some bacon tea every now and again.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

A specific question I know... anyone used a cast iron kettle?

Example that caught my eye:
Old Mountain 78226 Cast Iron Tea Kettle
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AT5CF8

I'll be using it for making tea mostly, and the awesome look on the stove.

Anyone know if the water flavour is affected etc or are there other considerations? Wondering if rust might be one of the considerations...

In my experience those are mostly used as humidifiers on top of wood buring stoves. They are thick and won't be damaged by the heat of being boiled dry.

As a teapot I would imagine they would be impossible to keep from rusting and would effect the taste/color of your water.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you're anemic you should get and use one, otherwise...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I think I'll pass on the kettle.

New question though, is there a preferred non-enameled dutch oven for campfire use and home use? I've got a 6qt enameled one for home and I'm wondering if I go larger so I've got a large capacity pot and one I can take outside.

Having said that, it's not like I'm feeding an army daily...

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

I think I'll pass on the kettle.

New question though, is there a preferred non-enameled dutch oven for campfire use and home use? I've got a 6qt enameled one for home and I'm wondering if I go larger so I've got a large capacity pot and one I can take outside.

Having said that, it's not like I'm feeding an army daily...

Cast iron seems awful for a kettle, since you'd spend so much energy (time) heating up the metal itself. You want something thin and conductive for a kettle since you're just bringing the water up to temp quickly and then taking it off the heat. Cast iron's heat retention isn't useful.

We got the 12 inch shallow (6 qt) Lodge with the three legs. Should have enough room for generous servings for four-six.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I have the 6qt Lodge BSA dutch oven and it's great. I'm pretty sure it's the same dimensions as the one linked in the post above except it's $20 more. It did come with a nice recipe book though.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L12CO3BS-America-Pre-Seasoned-6-Quart/dp/B0009JKG92

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Normally I would say make a CamelCamelCamel price watch and wait if you don't need the dutch oven today.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Lodge-Camp-Dutch-Oven-Qt/product/B00006JSUH

But from the looks of it that's a great price.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 14, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tj maxx had a lodge cast iron pizza pan for $12 so it's in my oven getting seasoned right now

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Simmering all day won't hurt my enameled cast iron, will it? I never really thought about it and don't see why it would, but then I'd hate to mess up something good because I overlooked something simple.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
It shouldn't hurt it at all. I flipped through the book that came with mine and it didn't say anything about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QuarkMartial posted:

Simmering all day won't hurt my enameled cast iron, will it? I never really thought about it and don't see why it would, but then I'd hate to mess up something good because I overlooked something simple.
Pretty much everything I use mine for involves it sitting in the oven or on the stove for 4+ hours

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pubic Lair posted:

If you use a good drying oil like flax or sunflower and follow the technique listed here to apply it you will have a good solid seasoning.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

This comes up from time to time, and it brings up a question I've been meaning to ask.

My two skillets look like the those to the left. I seasoned them a few times over with avocado oil and have since then, just made it a point to cook with them as much as possible. Is that texture eventually going to even out like on the right? Is the right that more stick resistant? Or is this just splitting hairs with cooking aficionados?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's just like stovetop vs oven mannn

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Quick q: what's the best way to remove crappy seasoning from cast iron? A while back I bought some cast iron skillets and they've got gross burned on oil blobs in parts and areas where there appears to be no seasoning. I spent 15 minutes earlier today aggressively scrubbing with dish soap and a scrubbing brush but got pretty much nowhere. My cast iron dutch oven is my favourite cooking vessel and really want to put these skillets to good use.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Theophany posted:

Quick q: what's the best way to remove crappy seasoning from cast iron? A while back I bought some cast iron skillets and they've got gross burned on oil blobs in parts and areas where there appears to be no seasoning. I spent 15 minutes earlier today aggressively scrubbing with dish soap and a scrubbing brush but got pretty much nowhere. My cast iron dutch oven is my favourite cooking vessel and really want to put these skillets to good use.

Soak it in oven cleaner or lye overnight.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Soak it in oven cleaner or lye overnight.

Awesome, thanks! Should I be aiming to get any particular lye:water ratio?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Theophany posted:

Awesome, thanks! Should I be aiming to get any particular lye:water ratio?

One pound of crystals per five gallons of water is the ratio you want to go for - or the equivalent in liquid form, depending on concentration.

It might take longer than overnight, depending on how badly encrusted it is. Apparently some need days :stare:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Avocados posted:

This comes up from time to time, and it brings up a question I've been meaning to ask.

My two skillets look like the those to the left. I seasoned them a few times over with avocado oil and have since then, just made it a point to cook with them as much as possible. Is that texture eventually going to even out like on the right? Is the right that more stick resistant? Or is this just splitting hairs with cooking aficionados?

Not a food scientist or a chemist but if you look over my posts in the thread I put up some info about seasoning.

From what I understand the best oils to use are those that are drying oils. They have a higher iodine number which relates to amount of saturated fats.

As mentioned before the best are probably Flax(aka food grade linseed) oil, poppy oil or sunflower oil. I have never heard of seasoning with avocado oil so I looked it up.

Not on this table
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_value

But some googling pointed me to this soap making guide
http://www.northcountrymercantile.com/soapmakinglibrary/iodine-values-of-various-soap-making-oils/

Based on that info I would say Avacado isn't a great seasoning oil to get that type of finish.

I would recommend either sunflower or flax as I haven't tried with poppy. Read the seasoning article and follow it exactly step by step. The better oils do seem to take longer to build up seasoning so you have to be patient and follow the preheat/oil/heat/cool cycle until it's thick enough.

That said what you have is still ok to cook on, probably just not as nonstick or sturdy as the seasoning you would get from the article.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

I've posted several times in this thread recommending stripping using the cleaning cycle on your oven. If you click to see my posts I even stripped two pieces and re seasoned them not that long ago.

Bob Morales posted:

Tj maxx had a lodge cast iron pizza pan for $12 so it's in my oven getting seasoned right now

drat I've actually had a CamelCamelCamel price watch on one of those for a while. Almost snagged one last month for $26 but missed out. I'll have to check the local TJ Maxx/homegoods/ross/marshalls tomorrow.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 20, 2016

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pubic Lair posted:

I've posted several times in this thread recommending stripping using the cleaning cycle on your oven. If you click to see my posts I even stripped two pieces and re seasoned them not that long ago.

Unfortunately I don't have a self-cleaning oven so chemical warfare is my only option.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bummer, just use easy off and a garbage bag.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Even in this wealthy hipster pro-organic town, not a single bottle of flaxseed oil is in sight. Sunflower oil it is.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Only place I found it was at while foods in the vitamin department in a cooler. It spoils on the the shelf.

Sunflower works just as well and is cheaper/easier to find/won't spoil in your pantry.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah you need the refined kind iirc, and the "healthy" kind has all kinds of acids and stuff that you don't want

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I actually have an apartment with an electric range for once - Boo! But on the upside, I now have an electric oven and access to a self clean cycle. I am wondering however - the electric oven has a heating element that covers the "floor" and I'm led to believe you have to remove the oven racks for the self clean cycle or they warp.

So, uh, where do I put the cast iron I'm trying to strip?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The racks should be fine. It's baking sheets, which some people keep in the oven, that'll warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

moller posted:

I actually have an apartment with an electric range for once - Boo! But on the upside, I now have an electric oven and access to a self clean cycle. I am wondering however - the electric oven has a heating element that covers the "floor" and I'm led to believe you have to remove the oven racks for the self clean cycle or they warp.

So, uh, where do I put the cast iron I'm trying to strip?

That's how I clean my racks!