Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually that was cool and rad cause you got to see a lot of new guys in action instead of pokemon you had seen and used for 4 gens previously.

Would have been a lot better if it wasn't full of clunkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah that really wasn't a good move, preventing people from using any of the old Pokemon in case they didn't like any of the new ones. Especially with incredibly divisive designs such as the Klink, Trubbish, and Vanillite lines.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Would have been a lot better if it wasn't full of clunkers.

roughly as many as gen 1

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah that really wasn't a good move, preventing people from using any of the old Pokemon in case they didn't like any of the new ones. Especially with incredibly divisive designs such as the Klink, Trubbish, and Vanillite lines.

yeah they need such great designs such as: Ball (guess which one i mean)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

alcharagia posted:

roughly as many as gen 1

Yeah and once was enough thank you very much.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

incredibly divisive designs

You're right, they really should have predicted fan reactions in advance, how could they have forgotten to? :rolleye:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Black and White's "reboot" idea was neat but it really seemed like some of the new pokemon were just old ones with a new coat of paint.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gen 5 is a perfect untainted gem

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Klink line is divisive?
I thought everyone loved it, even it it's kinda eh in battles. Although I only say that cause I'm not the biggest fan of singature moves that do no damage.

Ruggington posted:

:yeah:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ruggington posted:

I want to agree but I'm replaying White at the moment and Watchog has way too many irritating status moves for a common Team Grunt Pokemon. Otherwise, though, it's great.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dr. Fetus posted:

All of those are good

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Don't talk poo poo about the Ice Cream Kid. He's great.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

trubbish/garbodor is like 10 times better than grimer/muk, but i love them both

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love all pokemon

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dr. Fetus posted:

There were, what, 150ish Pokemon introduced in Gen V? With some of the strongest and best designs ever?

If you couldn't find any you liked out of that, the problem is with you, not with the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Gen V has a fuckton of great designs.

The real issue is it doesn't mesh with the rest of the series mechanically because it was built in its own little ecosystem. Pokemon evolve way the gently caress too late overall and it makes using them a pain in the rear end in any gen with mixed rep because they have really long awkward weak periods.

Also why the gently caress does Hydreigon evolve at 64

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Gen V has a fuckton of great designs.

The real issue is it doesn't mesh with the rest of the series mechanically because it was built in its own little ecosystem. Pokemon evolve way the gently caress too late overall and it makes using them a pain in the rear end in any gen with mixed rep because they have really long awkward weak periods.

Also why the gently caress does Hydreigon evolve at 64

Because BW and the sequels were all about the Endgame. Cause there sure is a lot of stuff to do in those games once you beat the E4.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Honestly are few evolution thresholds are too much even for BW. Hydreigon as mentioned above, and Litwick doesn't evolve until 41, in or after the last gym.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlphaKretin posted:

Honestly are few evolution thresholds are too much even for BW. Hydreigon as mentioned above, and Litwick doesn't evolve until 41, in or after the last gym.

See also; Elektross who has a Magikarp form for 39 levels. Volcarona which evolves at level 59 (14 levels after Garchomp!). Bisharp at level 48. Etc, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

See also; Elektross who has a Magikarp form for 39 levels. Volcarona which evolves at level 59 (14 levels after Garchomp!). Bisharp at level 48. Etc, etc.
Volcarona is at least justifiable because you catch it as a Volcarona. Really screws them out of putting Larvesta in later games, but compared to the others it's less egregious.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I picked White SOLELY for Braviary, pretty much, and the drat thing takes fifty-four levels to evolve.

Game Freak needs to go in for some hardcore number tweaking at some point, and also make Luvdisc evolve into Alomomola. Because SERIOUSLY.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Volcarona is at least justifiable because you catch it as a Volcarona. Really screws them out of putting Larvesta in later games, but compared to the others it's less egregious.

You get a Larvesta Egg tho way earlier.

And they even realized they hosed up since they have like super underlevelled Volcarona at 35 in B/W2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zore posted:

The first is tragic because Elektross is an amazing design which is a also good in battle.
The second and third make no loving sense since "bug pokemon are pretty weak, but the evolve fast" is something they tell you a lot.

...what, Bisharp is not a bug? Well he looks like one :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pokemon should have a chance to evolve every level, which increases every level until evolution is guaranteed. also trade evos are gone

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oddium posted:

pokemon should have a chance to evolve every level, which increases every level until evolution is guaranteed. also trade evos are gone

That's actually a pretty cool idea

I adore Gen 5 a ton but just looking through the Gen 5 dex I don't know how it never occurred to me how much of a reboot it really was--there are a ton of one-to-one Poke "remakes" from Gen 1

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Golden Goat posted:

Black and White's "reboot" idea was neat but it really seemed like some of the new pokemon were just old ones with a new coat of paint.

Every Gen 5 retread of a Gen 1 design idea is easily 100% better. Gigalith and Swoobat are miles ahead of Golem and Golbat.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Uh excuse me Zubat is not an adorable psychic type with a heart nose. :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Uh excuse me Zubat is not an adorable psychic type with a heart nose. :colbert:

Yeah tha's what I'm saying. Swoobat is a better Bat than Zubat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
There are some big duds in Gen V too. Patrat/Watchog are super inferior Rattata/Raticate. Unfeazent is the only starter bird somehow worse than Pidgeot through either stupid stat or movepool allotment.

Also Hitmons>>>>>Sawk/Throh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

There are some big duds in Gen V too. Patrat/Watchog are super inferior Rattata/Raticate. Unfeazent is the only starter bird somehow worse than Pidgeot through either stupid stat or movepool allotment.

Also Hitmons>>>>>Sawk/Throh

Counterpoint: The Hitmos suck visually and Sawk and Throh are cool and good. And Raticate is pure wet garbo. Sorry haters.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Black and White were the strongest entries in the series for me. Loved the new Pokemons, locations and gyms. Headed down that runway to battle was amaaaaazing. Also the Poison Gym concert, rockin'.

I also liked the Gen4 extra evolutions which helped out old Pokemon. They should do that again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Counterpoint: The Hitmos suck visually and Sawk and Throh are cool and good. And Raticate is pure wet garbo. Sorry haters.

Hitmons are cool and distinct visually and not Bert and Ernie in a kid's karate outfit.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Do not diss the muscle muppets, thank you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Uh, have you seen Faticate?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can't hold the requisite rat/bird against Gen V specifically, every new game has their own versions of those.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Uh, have you seen Faticate?

Sun and Moon haven't released yet so we don't know how well the Alolan forms will fare against their regular counterparts or other Pokémon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

You can't hold the requisite rat/bird against Gen V specifically, every new game has their own versions of those.

They've been done well though. See; Staraptor, Talonflame, Linoone, Furret, Gumshoos

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

There were, what, 150ish Pokemon introduced in Gen V? With some of the strongest and best designs ever?

If you couldn't find any you liked out of that, the problem is with you, not with the game.

Agreed. Gen 5 is overall, the strongest gen in the series.

It's impossible to make a Pokemon game with 100% great designs, because a lot of it comes down to taste. You might not like Trubbish, but someone else finds it charming. It's okay to not love every single design because they weren't all designed for you.

However, if you can't find it in your heart to love:

Chandelure
Cincinno
Whimsicott
Lilligant
Scolipede
Leavanny
Golurk
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Reuniclus
Braviary
Cofagrigus
Eelektross

Then you're really missing out.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 15, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited to get a Delcatty in S&M. will teach her Bind, Play Rough, Tickle, and end it all with Rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nessa posted:

Agreed. Gen 5 is overall, the strongest gen in the series.

It's impossible to make a Pokemon game with 100% great designs, because a lot of it comes down to taste. You might not like Trubbish, but someone else finds it charming. It's okay to not love every single design because they weren't all designed for you.

However, if you can't find it in your heart to love:

Chandelure
Cincinno
Whimsicott
Lilligant
Scolipede
Leavanny
Golurk
Hydreigon
Volcarona
Reuniclus
Braviary