Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Day 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6AizjqnaQ

The two leaders continue to impress, and so does Chiyoshoma so far this tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqsziFjx_6A

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

get ready for the goeido yusho

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

If Kakuryu doesn't step it up, he could be gone really quick, couldn't he? The hardest matches are still ahead of him. From what I understand, he would be expected to retire if he didn't put up an impressive record, right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MrSmokes posted:

If Kakuryu doesn't step it up, he could be gone really quick, couldn't he? The hardest matches are still ahead of him. From what I understand, he would be expected to retire if he didn't put up an impressive record, right?

I'd suspect if he claims an injury, he might get one poor basho excused, but if he doesn't manage a clearly good record next basho, there might be more than a few whispers coming.

I would never have thought the words "Goeido stands alone on top of the standings after Week 1" would happen while the Mongolian yokozuna trifecta was around, but here we are.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

anakha posted:

I'd suspect if he claims an injury, he might get one poor basho excused, but if he doesn't manage a clearly good record next basho, there might be more than a few whispers coming.

I would never have thought the words "Goeido stands alone on top of the standings after Week 1" would happen while the Mongolian yokozuna trifecta was around, but here we are.

That's what I kind of assumed. I've only been watching sumo for a few years and haven't seen a yokozuna step down yet. It's a strange feeling that any of the three could be gone with just one or two bad tournaments. That's got to be a lot of pressure.

Anyway, day 8 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kibU76ymb0

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:laffo: at the double henka attempt in Takekaze-Tamawashi.

Okinomi-Mitakeumi beats out Tochiozan-Terunofuji for MOTN today.

Too bad it's already evening here - I would have been checking the sky for flying pigs at that Giku henka.

Chiyootori's gimmick just doesn't work at the higher ranks.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 18, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh god. I don't know if anyone follows the lower divisions, but there's this kid in jonokuchi, Hattorizakura. He's just awful - super skinny, no technique, after a full year in sumo he's racked up a record of 1-34. No idea why he hasn't quit.

So on Day 3 he was scheduled against Kinjo, a much beefier guy who has a brutal grabbing/throwing arm on him. Seems like Hattorizakura was real scared he was gonna get hurt, and decided beforehand to lose painlessly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiAI8fXBJoM

Not sure if laughing or crying is the more appropriate response.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 18, 2016

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Speaking of small guys, Ura is 3-5 at the top of juryo banzuke currently. Would be fun seeing him in makuuchi, hopefully he can pull a positive record during the later half of the basho.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Not sure if laughing or crying is the more appropriate response.

Please post more of these type of things as you come across them. Love how the gyoji kept making him go through with the farce.

EDIT: For those wondering, the guy he beat is 2-19.

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 18, 2016

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Diplomat posted:

EDIT: For those wondering, the guy he beat is 2-19.

The victory in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk&t=56s
Scintillating stuff.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

The victory in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk&t=56s
Scintillating stuff.

:wtc: I could walk into jonokuchi and own bones, if those guys are any indication.

I wonder what the Vegas odds would have been for Goeido to be 8-0 after 8 days, and immediately following a kadoban performance, no less. If only I had a dollar bet on that... But somehow, I fully expect Harumafuji to squeak through in the end. The triumvirate of Haruma, Kise, and Goeido is going to be very exciting to watch in the final few days.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Fryhtaning posted:

:wtc: I could walk into jonokuchi and own bones, if those guys are any indication.

It's not all like that, you have no hopers like those guys, people recovering from major injuries, people who are just big and don't have any technique yet, and people who have been doing high level amateur sumo for years. Still, you'd think that one guy would at least be able to master the "eat a lot" part of sumo after a year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The heya he is part of has an open door policy, anyone with 'a love of sumo' can join. So, he doesn't turn down anyone. The oyakata is a cool laid back guy but his rikishi don't have much success.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UQqpbe2yZo

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Nice throws.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goeido is almost completely in control of his destiny now, and just may have it in the bag if he takes care of Harumafuji. He is locked in and free of nerves, much like Kotoshogiku was when he came out of nowhere to take his yusho. Clearly match-fixing.

A couple of cakewalks for the Yoks tomorrow, but 3 key matchups happening on day 10.

code:
Sekiwake Takayasu (7-2) vs  Maegashira #1 Okinoumi (7-2)

Ozeki Kisenosato (7-2) vs Ozeki Kotoshogiku (7-2)

Ozeki Goeido (9-0) vs Ozeki Terunofuji (4-5)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Elephant

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I feel like Terunofuji could've sat this one out. He scraped kk last time, so he wouldn't have lost rank, and he's clearly still not fit. His elbow particularly seems to be an issue

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

I feel like Terunofuji could've sat this one out. He scraped kk last time, so he wouldn't have lost rank, and he's clearly still not fit. His elbow particularly seems to be an issue

He's gone through so many bashos while apparently being injured that I've given up on him taking time to get healthy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MrSmokes posted:

He's gone through so many bashos while apparently being injured that I've given up on him taking time to get healthy.

But enough about Endo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

It's hugely disappointing considering how great he was to watch when he was 100%. He kinda had it all for a guy his size. Strength and great technique.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bB7Si530c

e: Tochinoshin/Takanoiwa was MOTD for me.

Geez, Goueidou might just do it. He's showed no signs of slowing down.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 20, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Amakaze was getting rocked today. I wouldn't be shocked if his ears were still ringing up to now.

Goddammit, Tochinoshin-Takanoiwa should have had a better ending than what it got.

Goeido with the Giku belly-bumpin' finish, but I'm still skeptical since Terunofuji is at maybe 50% of where he was before.

Once Harumafuji had the belt, that was over.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

But enough about Endo.

Right now Endo could crush Terunofuji. Yeah he's only M14, but he looks really good right now.

If you asked me to choose 15 rikishi that could survive that kind of belt match with Tochinoshin, I'm not sure I would have chosen any Mongolian lower than sanyaku, let alone Takanoiwa.

I have a feeling Kisenosato is going to end up with yet another jun-yusho...

Harumafuji v Takayasu, Kisenosato v Goeido tomorrow - poo poo's about to blow the gently caress up.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Is Kise getting up there on the list of best guys to never win a title or is there some other unlucky SOB that had an even longer run of putting up second place finishes?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I got tickets for day 14. Usually I go to nakabi or the day before. I'm pretty psyched at what the possible match ups will be.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Dr.Radical posted:

I got tickets for day 14. Usually I go to nakabi or the day before. I'm pretty psyched at what the possible match ups will be.

Have fun! I hope I get a chance to see sumo in person someday.

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVMWRVdXws

welp, no new yokozuna.

Awesome win by Takayasu!

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 21, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Okinomi-Takarafuji for MOTN.

Okinomi's kinboshi from last week appear to be wasted though.

Terunofuji's facing demotion at this point.

Ok, fine, Goeido looks to be for real.

:lol: at Kisenosato's supposed yokozuna run ending on this note. He was very hesitant to go for the belt this bout.

Rooting hard for Takayasu to make Ozeki now.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Okinomi-Takarafuji for MOTN.

Okinomi's kinboshi from last week appear to be wasted though.

Terunofuji's facing demotion at this point.

Ok, fine, Goeido looks to be for real.

:lol: at Kisenosato's supposed yokozuna run ending on this note. He was very hesitant to go for the belt this bout.

Rooting hard for Takayasu to make Ozeki now.

I wouldn't call Kisenosato hesitant on that - Goeido was trying to lure him in for a throw or a hatakikomi, then ended up bulldozing him anyway. If Kise got overeager it would have been even more pitiful of a loss. Goeido is in the zone right now.

Harumafuji owns Goeido, so he's still got to take care of business against at least one of Kotoshogiku (who is desperate for win #8) or Kakuryu to fully be in charge of his own destiny. Harumafuji looooves snatching away yushos in the final couple of days.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Harumafuji looooves snatching away yushos in the final couple of days.

Takayasu did the snatching today for sure. He and Goeido both look totally dialed in and I'd be over the moon for either of them to take the yusho.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

besides the matches, the best thing about today's video is the two little obaasans in pink in the left corner. they are hyped af

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i don't think i've ever seen a watashikomi before. i guess it's also somewhat questionable whether goeido could even be said to be performing one there since the leg underhook doesn't really seem to have that much to do with the fact that kisenosato went down/out, but still.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fluffdaddy posted:

besides the matches, the best thing about today's video is the two little obaasans in pink in the left corner. they are hyped af

That's actually a comedy couple known for wearing pink and laughing annoyingly. Think Richard Simmons in husband and wife form.

http://rocketnews24.com/2016/03/11/722141/

My SO saw them and called them idiots and never funny so...

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

That's actually a comedy couple known for wearing pink and laughing annoyingly. Think Richard Simmons in husband and wife form.

http://rocketnews24.com/2016/03/11/722141/

My SO saw them and called them idiots and never funny so...

To be fair most manzai duos are unfunny as poo poo so makes sense

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Holy poo poo, Shouhouzan's utchari. I've never seen someone do that move without even falling with their opponent.

It must be demoralizing for Shoudai to get his first win of the basho because Shouhouzan's toe skidded in the dirt as he was almost killing him.

I don't remember which match this was, but it was odd to me to see someone force their opponent out with a winding underhook, but the kimarite called was yorikiri. Odd that they have so much differentiation between moves, and multiple armlock kimarite, but don't account for someone clinching their opponent out by underhook.

Kinjo/Hattorizakura made me, like, depressed and mad at the same time. Have some respect for the sport, at least.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYidvALGcMA

Takanoiwa/Shoudai is my MOTD. Love how Takanoiwa slapped the poo poo out of Shoudai and then Shoudai immediately decided he'd had enough.

Goueidou still killing it!

Imagine if Kakuryuu only went 8-7...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

If Goeido wins tomorrow, it's a guaranteed Japanese yusho, and he could also possibly get the yusho outright as well.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It would be kind of amusing if Takayasu nicked this basho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What I really want to see is a big rear end play off between 3 or 4 people.