Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Also last time I made a supersonic bike (like 4 V8 engines and otherwise minimal weight), the minimum acceleration was so immense that it got up to >100 km/h in one turn and killed me instantly, does anyone know if that's fixed yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My best run so far was ruined by a random mi-go on my way to a mansion :argh:

What are good hobo armor options? I had survival, tailoeing and fabrication at 3 or 4 but I didn't have any crafting options. Should I be reinforcing with plastics and stuff instead?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I typically reinforce with leather, yeah.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Demiurge4 posted:

My best run so far was ruined by a random mi-go on my way to a mansion :argh:

What are good hobo armor options? I had survival, tailoeing and fabrication at 3 or 4 but I didn't have any crafting options. Should I be reinforcing with plastics and stuff instead?

You can pad stuff with leather which can boost its protection a little bit.

If you can't find Kevlar stuff, then firefighter stuff is often a good bet as it tends to be quite hardy. A PBA mask is especially useful as it combines great protection with a gasmask. They can be difficult to find though unless you stumble upon a fire engine or a fire station.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I dunno, padding stuff out really shoots up the encumbrance and next thing you know for the crime of wearing a backpack and a leather padded sports bra makes you stumble trying to hit everything that isn't a hulk.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Well yeah, it definitely depends on your melee skill.

As long as you stay at +2 with a +2 hit weapon (so five melee skill <40 encumbrance), I don't typically have problems hitting anything other than the occasional zombie child, who can't penetrate my armor so even if it takes 5-6 rounds to hit them I don't really care.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you "drive" a shopping cart?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Shift-G to grab it and then just walk around.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I still have problems reading the encumbrance numbers on the clothing layer screen. I generally try to keep the total number in the thirties if possible, but I admit I'm not entirely sure how to interpret it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I insist on keeping encumbrance below 20, but I'm weird.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what about weapon progression? Right now I rely on the almighty knife spear to the point where I spawn with 1 survival just so I can craft one in my shelter. I try to keep a shotgun around for big stuff but what should I be looking at for my first melee upgrade?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Get an awl pike from a mansion. :black101:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Baseball bats. They're +3 to hit, so you crit really easily

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait, accuracy influences critical hit rate?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I loved my forged spear.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Demiurge4 posted:

So what about weapon progression? Right now I rely on the almighty knife spear to the point where I spawn with 1 survival just so I can craft one in my shelter. I try to keep a shotgun around for big stuff but what should I be looking at for my first melee upgrade?

You really don't need to start with that 1 in survival. Just get a sheet from pulling down some curtains, then craft it into a makeshift sling, [D]isassemble it back into a sheet, craft it again, etc etc. You'll only have to do this a few times to get level 1 survival. Each crafting takes less than a minute, and the only resource it consumes (the sheet) you get back 100% guaranteed.

As for progression, it's really hard to compete with long-range melee weapons. As others have said, the forged spear and the awl-pike are both excellent weapons and straight superior to the knife-spear. The awl-pike actually has a range of 3.

Once I've gotten confident with my ability to kill stuff in melee I like to start training up archery. Archery is complete garbage until suddenly it's amazing. Early on you'll take 20 of your awful fire-hardened wooden stick arrows to kill one zombie. Once you get 5-6 ranks in it (and a few in fabrication, for the ammo crafting), you'll be two-shotting brutes with a reflex recurve, making unlimited ammo out of the random scrap metal you bash off cars. It's perfectly silent and completely nuts.

Disclaimer: I am not sure how viable archery is if you dump-statted perception and dexterity. Probably not very.

Edit: One advantage the knife spear has that I'm not sure if the forged spear and awl-pikes have is that the knife spear has a wooden shaft, so stabbing shocker zombies with it is safe. I do not remember if awl-pikes are considered 100% metal. If they are, you will want some other way to stab shockers.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 9, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On that note, what is considered dump statting? My base start is 11, strength, 10 dexterity, 11 intelligence and I leave perception at 8. So far I haven't progressed far enough to use ranged weapons enough that I can tell how the perception affects me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Perception is the closest thing you're going to get to a dump stat, but below 8 it does have some effects. As far as how much it effects you...that's difficult to say. The reality is that 99% of gunplay occurs at ranges short enough that you can get reasonable hit rates with the correct weapons (that is, shotguns) at perception as low as 4. At longer ranges it will still hurt you a fair bit, but when a grand total of 1 class of enemy attacks you from substantially off screen (bots/turrets) it's debatable how much that's even a problem.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
You could install the stats through skills mod. Your base stats will go up as you level your skills. Go to the library a weakling, walk out a god king.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That seems like cheating a little bit. If I want better stats I'll get some mutagens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main issue with dumping perception is that you need it to see traps.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You don't need it. You can hear them just as well, if you step on them.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PE (the ingame version) won't save you from driving over a minefield at 100.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

bitcoin bastard posted:

PE (the ingame version) won't save you from driving over a minefield at 100.

Much like real life it pays to take things a bit slower sometimes. Or just have a rocket launcher handy (assuming you can target the ground with vehicular weapons anyway).

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I found a lab and FEMA camp right next to eachother.

The FEMA camp was easy to clear out. The zombie soldiers provided me plenty of kevlar materials, the camp lockers had some good rifles with ammo, and the zombie scientists gave me some more bionics.The camp also has a zombie brute locked in a cage of reinforced glass. It can't get out, so I left it there.

The lab was not what I expected at all. This is my first lab. Getting in was easy with my electrohack, and the enemies have not been a problem. Turrets are easy to avoid or kill with an EMP grenade, and other enemies go down quickly under rifle fire. My big problem is that the lab is loving HUUUUGE. Is there some trick to navigate these places?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The FEMA camp was easy to clear out. The zombie soldiers provided me plenty of kevlar materials, the camp lockers had some good rifles with ammo, and the zombie scientists gave me some more bionics.The camp also has a zombie brute locked in a cage of reinforced glass. It can't get out, so I left it there.

The lab was not what I expected at all. This is my first lab. Getting in was easy with my electrohack, and the enemies have not been a problem. Turrets are easy to avoid or kill with an EMP grenade, and other enemies go down quickly under rifle fire. My big problem is that the lab is loving HUUUUGE. Is there some trick to navigate these places?

Mark stair and notable locations on your map and also watch out for lights and unexpected turrets behind doors. Some labs are as small as 9 rooms and other labs can sprawl into huge complex installations that might even have a sewer pipe connecting it to cities (or nothing, in some cases).

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

One thing I found out is that the different levels don't always have all the rooms connected, sometimes if you check all the stairs on a level you can find little isolated areas in the level below, and for me they always seem to be the barracks/armory areas.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Had a weird bug on my save. I went near a refugee center that had NPC's standing guard outside as well as a broker who would buy stuff off me. The game freaked out a little when I went near it with errors that I choose to ignore but after I stole a hippie truck and brought it back to my base the game will spam random errors and statistics in my message log every time I take a step.

I suspect it's the more locations mod doing that which is a shame because it means I have to abandon that save.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I leave trails of breadcrumbs. Drop individual nails occasionally along the paths between stairs. Open all the doors of rooms I've explored so I know when I'm looping back. Just change something about the environment so you can tell you've been there.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Thanks for the advice.

Lab raid went well, except for that one time I failed a hack and a security bot spawned and almost gunned me down. I looted a lot of guns, kevlar, mutagens , electronics, chemicals, and recipe books. I know how to make meth now! I still need to raid a locked armory.

The bionics I found were underwhelming. Most of them were utility bionics. Some of the cooler bionics were a blood filter and something that let's me breath underwater. And then there is the bionic that made this whole lab raid worth it, artificial muscles, which increase strength by 20 when activated. Hell yes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Internal furnace and artificial muscles bionics make for an interesting combination. I eat trash and throw scrap like a howitzer cannon.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

covering all your bases I guess

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Haine posted:

covering all your bases I guess

For all the sperging that goes on with proper rifle names and barrel lengths this somehow doesn't surprise me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So I found a library on night 2:

Can't wait to do something stupid like eat uncooked meat or set my bed on fire.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What does uncooked meat do to you in these builds, does it give you Nethack level food poisoning and force you to look for a unicorn horn?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

nftyw posted:

What does uncooked meat do to you in these builds, does it give you Nethack level food poisoning and force you to look for a unicorn horn?

It gives you brain parasites, which are a massive pain in the rear end. Lots of weird visual effects on screen, maybe hallucinations and other problems too? It's been a long time since I've had them on a character.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they generally give you parasites as a whole. the other major parasite type is digestive parasites, which are super annoying because they increase your hunger by a lot. in general, eating uncooked meat is a little like doing a hooker without a rubber. you just don't do it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

nftyw posted:

You basically do need a unicorn horn. There's some medicine for it, and I think the blood filter aug works too.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
My current character got messed up by an eye and presumably infected with mushroom, so I went thru my stash and dug up some antifungal powder and choked down a couple doses and recovered. Thank goodness too fungal infections suck balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I wouldn't mind fungus so much if the fungal biome didn't keep spawning those drat puffballs, and if it began to recede after you destroy the master fungus in the area.