Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

If enemy pods didn't path between you and the objective, they'd end up behind you, which is even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SweetBro posted:

No it's not. If the purpose of it to avoid wasting time hunting the AI down then it should only affect units that have left concealment (which would actually loving make sense).

Thats not its only purpose? Timers where added to stop overwatch crawl. Concealment was added to help in bum-rushing objectives without triggering pods on your turn (and ambushes are cool). Pod patrol paths where added so you could have non-static pods that where always 'in the way' so you could ambush them. Not having to hunt down the AI is just icing. We just went over this

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It's gamey no matter which way you slice it, but the pod mechanics have always been gamey. I really dig the idea of activating all pods on the field with constant reinforcement, but that's not the game Firaxis decided to make, and instead they have balanced around pod scale combat, typically 3-6 enemies at a time. It's pretty easy to find the seams in that kind of a design if you try to employ any strategy beyond ambush and then advance.

I feel like it's all symptomatic of the idea that Field of View MUST be limited. What if you and the enemy could both see way further than combat range once you broke concealment, then you're not stumbling in the dark and can maybe employ positional tactics over several turns, rather than just grenade+kill/flank+kill.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Serephina posted:

Not having to hunt down the AI is just icing.

I miss the one Sectoid that would hide in a trailer indefinitely though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

NAT-T Ice posted:

I miss the one Sectoid that would hide in a trailer indefinitely though.

I don't miss having to hunt that one loving Tasoth down who's hiding in a one-tile closet god-knows-where upon this cruise liner. I have NEVER seen the bottom half of cruise liner terror missions for that very reason, I usually just reloaded for a cargo ship.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The AI doesn't inherently knows where you are, but they tend to camp the objective with multiple pods, since that's their freaking job.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Doobie Keebler posted:

they just saw the Skyranger blast overhead.

Except they didn't because then you wouldn't be in stealth and every mission would be no different than ones where you start not in stealth and the guy is like "Hey ADVENT knows we're here".

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Bholder posted:

The AI doesn't inherently knows where you are, but they tend to camp the objective with multiple pods, since that's their freaking job.

Wrong. I tested this on a non Ironman game with one soldier. No matter where you move him the enemy will always continue to approach him once you get close enough to the objective.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bholder posted:

Yeah, this is provably wrong based on the code in the game. The Line of Play is a core concept that drives how the pods are positioned on the map. The line of play stretches and squeezes based on the average centre of the squad relative to the objective, and then pods endeavour to maintain their relative position to the line of play. This is why if you have sight on a pod whilst in concealment, and then dash perpendicular to a line towards the objective, it will often seem as if the pod is following you as they try to follow their relative position on the line of play.

This is why you can't skip any engagements via stealth, you WILL just get owned as they follow the shrinking line of play.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did Beagle get bored? All his recent streams are DnD and Long War.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

concealment is fine.

alien rulers and repeaters are not however

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dongicus posted:

concealment is fine.

alien rulers and repeaters are not however

those are HILARIOUS.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Did Beagle get bored? All his recent streams are DnD and Long War.

He seems to have, yeah. I know he commented recently that he doubted he'd be playing xcom forever. Sad, but certainly can't blame him. I just wish he'd done more with XCOM 2.

And yeah, alien rulers and how hard they cheat bothered me so much that I downloaded a mod to give them four actions per turn, but force them to take normal turns. It's still not enough to balance them meaningfully; now they're just big dumb HP sinks. I like the idea of 'Nemesis' type enemies, I really do, but the implementation is just.... ugh.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, if they just got 2 actions each turn and a reaction only when you actually damaged them they'd be ok. Reacting on movement is dumb as gently caress though, especially when they show up in certain missions.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, if they just got 2 actions each turn and a reaction only when you actually damaged them they'd be ok. Reacting on movement is dumb as gently caress though, especially when they show up in certain missions.

Finally got around to installing the DLC and holy loving poo poo you're right. It's worse that they're given a map evac mechanism and the fact that each reaction procs debuff timers. On the other hand, having a killzone sniper with an extended clip and a plasma rifle almost entirely trivializes encounters against them. Who the gently caress thought this would be a good mechanic?

EDIT: Also, lol the ui breaks if you stun a ruler during it's action.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 22, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's not a stealth game. Stop trying to play it like a stealth game.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
I still think the main issue with Rulers for the average player is how soon they appear, not their reaction mechanics in of itself. Like them appearing a few force levels later with this installed does a huge difference in how much doable they can be since you have much better equipment and perks to deal with them (and survive their reaction rounds + the enemy's turn), especially on Legend since 15+ more days can be the difference that has your soldiers having more ranks, having a new tier of weapon/armor, etc.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A Better Advent adds a sectopod variety that gets a reaction turn when shot at. It's as scary as it sounds.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
You take a shot at the champ, you better not miss.

Also I'm getting back into my poo poo after a break, pulled things out of my GW stuff:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766513507
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766511505
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766512413

This stuff should be compatible with mods with enemies with a little configuration.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Serephina posted:

I don't miss having to hunt that one loving Tasoth down who's hiding in a one-tile closet god-knows-where upon this cruise liner. I have NEVER seen the bottom half of cruise liner terror missions for that very reason, I usually just reloaded for a cargo ship.

:thejoke:

It was great when seekers spawned in a shed and refused to leave though; it made them completely ineffectual.

Re Beagle he said he wanted to wait until there were more substantive/less buggy mods for XCOM 2, which is understandable given that basically all his campaigns ended in horrible crashed and playing WAVECOM for the rest of the night.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong but rulers don't actually appear until you do the DLC mission, right? So you can just not do it until you're better equipment.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's not a stealth game. Stop trying to play it like a stealth game.

Then don't loving give me stealth mechanics.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SweetBro posted:

The tutorial tells you exactly how you're supposed to use the stealth mechanics: to get the drop on the first enemies you encounter on your way to the objective.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

The tutorial tells you exactly how you're supposed to use the stealth mechanics: to get the drop on the first enemies you encounter on your way to the objective.

That's like being given a spoon with some ice cream with the instructions of "Only use spoon for first bite, then eat the rest of it with your hands like a loving animal. Why? Because gently caress you." Then the spoon explodes and takes off your hand if you try and use it a second time.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

SweetBro posted:

That's like being given a spoon with some ice cream with the instructions of "Only use spoon for first bite, then eat the rest of it with your hands like a loving animal. Why? Because gently caress you." Then the spoon explodes and takes off your hand if you try and use it a second time.

It's like being served kebabs as an appetizer, then trying to eat the soup that's being offered for the main course using only the skewers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SweetBro posted:

If you want Stealth XCOM go play Invisible Inc.

The game is not balanced around stealth beyond giving the player a chance to clear a pod, maybe two off of the board with an initial ambush because you are supposed to be a guerilla resistance ambushing a stronger opponent. It also makes the turn timers not nearly as vicious since the player has until they go hot to make normally risky dash moves across the maps relatively safely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SweetBro posted:

it's exactly like the opposite of this tortured analogy

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

No, it is all of you who is wrong.
:colbert:

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 23, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Psion posted:

it's exactly like the opposite of this tortured analogy

It is, however, exactly like being given all the tools for the job but trying to only use the hammer for everything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SweetBro posted:

in fact, it is like seeing this picture

and putting your hands in the microwave too because hey in for an explosive penny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

like literally the #1 thing people complained about in EU/EW's combat, aside from bugs, was not being able to set up properly to kick combat off so you'd spend the entire first half of the map never using your gold move because if you were to ever, ever activate a pod on someone's gold move they were probably hosed sideways

so they made a fun and cool system to fix that and balanced it in most cases with a timer to poke you along instead of encouraging you to hold your dick in your hands for 15 years waiting for the perfect opportunity and oh wait now i just don't even want to really engage in the tactical combat that this game series has been known for since its inception

i make this a double post because i'm not actually saying this to sweetbro, more in general. this has come up a number of times in this thread and i have been a little thrown by the cognitive dissonance every single time

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 23, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i could get behind more stealth in xcom but the tools and rules in this game are horrible for it and there is nothing in it that encourages any type of stealth run

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Combat in XCOM 2 is amazing when compared to XCOM EW, since I feel like I'm in a better position to just charge around the map blasting fools and destroying cover. Having Battle Scanners not limited to a lovely Sniper perk was also an amazing decision, as well as having a Phantom Scout. Just fantastic fun killing all them ayys and doing it in 6 turns or less.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
embrace the killing, become a monster

the aliens would do the same to you

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I did Shen's Last Gift... a little late. Meaning I had pulse/laser shotguns and plasma rifles.

One of my soldiers (Wrex) rolled as a Scout from Beagle's Escalation mod - he had Hit and Run by then, which lets the first attack you make against an uncovered/flanked target free. His pulse shotgun also had a Superior Stock. So basically Wrex killed all the robots.

I'm not sure whether to bother hitting the Alien Rulers mission - to be honest I haven't played it, just watched it, and it didn't seem like a lot of fun. On the plus side it would be a challenge since everything is getting steamrolled.

At least I have a choice between stopping Lids for Everyone and UFO Defense. :v:

VVVV - I just did the Investigate Vial Coordinates mission (after picking up Julian) and somehow avoided activating a pod. I'm not even entirely sure where it was - they may have been on the roof, but probably outside the facility on the opposite side from the evac zone so they were never activated. But yeah, not fighting a pod is extremely rare, sometimes you have to wipe all ayys out to win the mission which really only makes sense with Retaliation missions.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 23, 2016

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I think this is a two part problem. The first part of the problem is that it's labeled as stealth, but it's "stealth*". The second part of the problem, is that if it was actual stealth, then the missions would feel a gently caress less monotonous. I don't think I've ever done a mission where I DIDN'T wipe out every single enemy pod, even on Vet which basically makes every single mission the same in terms of playstyle and objective. It also causes a lot of- can I say it? Ludonarrative dissonance. Where you're supposed to be this underground guerrilla resistance, but you've basically got the same tactics as as a ADVENT sanctioned kill-squad and employ gently caress all for guerrilla tactics.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this reminds me of Dishonored so much right now

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SweetBro posted:

I think this is a two part problem. The first part of the problem is that it's labeled as stealth, but it's "stealth*". The second part of the problem, is that if it was actual stealth, then the missions would feel a gently caress less monotonous. I don't think I've ever done a mission where I DIDN'T wipe out every single enemy pod, even on Vet which basically makes every single mission the same in terms of playstyle and objective. It also causes a lot of- can I say it? Ludonarrative dissonance. Where you're supposed to be this underground guerrilla resistance, but you've basically got the same tactics as as a ADVENT sanctioned kill-squad and employ gently caress all for guerrilla tactics.

There are a lot of mods that can enhance the stealth part of the game. This user has some stuff that helps: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198016374396/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268500
I also like this one, although it's probably unbalanced http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=641582211

The stealth and the hacking are probably the least fleshed out / worth it parts, so hell yeah mods.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SweetBro posted:

I agree with this however I disagree with most people's interpretation of it needing to become metal gear style ghosting. I think concealment is still fine the way it is, but the pods should be more proactive and reinforcements stream in as soon as you break it. The absolute most important thing is to decouple pods from the line of play for this to happen, and start bloody communicating.

I agree that the play doesn't fit the narrative because you win the field near every time. Which makes no sense really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's fun, stop nerding over it.