Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Preoccupations (formerly known as Viet Cong) album is out on Spotify. I really love their new sound, especially the way they treat the vocal tracks. I don't think it's as good as their previous album but it's a great listen!

https://open.spotify.com/album/1BedrXdH4el7fWWIYMC99N

Silver Apples also have a new album on Spotify today that's about 100 times better than I was expecting. I love this dude! If you don't know Silver Apples, stop whatever you're doing and listen to their self-titled debut

https://open.spotify.com/album/3VZpIoEv5y68viqapa3ZJV

edit: oh god i love silver apples

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also new Kishi Bashi is out. It's p good. I like how he's expanding his sound.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

turnip kid posted:

the guy they kicked out of The Flaming Lips.

yeah that narrows it down to like ten people

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fenech-Soler is an awesome electro pop band who have a new single out today, Kaleidoscope:

https://youtu.be/3NacHRonI_w

It's bouncy and positive and cool. Sounds a bit like a Phoenix song.

It's part of a 4 track EP, also out today on the usual services.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Nice will definitely get the reissue of Fuzzy Logic.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I bought 2 weekend passes to ACL Weekend 2, but my Austin buddy that I'm crashing with just told me he can only do the first weekend. I managed to get weekend 1 tickets but I paid out the nose =/

So anyone interested in weekend passes to weekend 2? Looks like Stubhub wants $375 each with fees and I would get $275 of that. So $325 each seems reasonable to me.

I still got the passes and I'll take face value ($255 each). PM me if interested.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I still got the passes and I'll take face value ($255 each). PM me if interested.

I may know someone who's looking for tickets. I'll let you know my man, gonna ask around.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Gorillaz are currently posting a sort of timeline of their releases on Twitter and Instagram. Oh boy, could this be it?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Dugong posted:

Gorillaz are currently posting a sort of timeline of their releases on Twitter and Instagram. Oh boy, could this be it?

Has it honestly been 6 years? Yeah! Hoping fo a Demon Days caliber record

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Julien Baker eat your heart out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2Sh9MBDIc

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Anyone have thoughts RE: the new Okkervil River and Local Natives albums?

I like them both fine. New OR has some tracks that I'd put up against anything they've done; "Days Spent Floating (In the Halfbetween)" is absolutely gorgeous.

As for LN, Sunlit Youth also has some good tracks that recall their earlier work; maybe a few songs that are a bit too arena-ready, but they're catchy.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Very surprised Pitchfork didn't get around to reviewing Sunlit Youth, but they had press about it the entire time. They seem to have been doing that more and more lately though, less indie "rock" music reviews, more R&B and synth pop.

As for the album I like it, has some great tracks.. but overall not as good as the other two (I actually like Hummingbird the best).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sometimes I wonder whether Pitchfork sits on certain albums for several days past their release dates because they don't care for them, but don't want to poo poo on the artists, either. They haven't reviewed the new OR yet, too.

E: Oh, poo poo I missed that. Didn't see it in Metacritic at first.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 21, 2016

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Real Name Grover posted:

Sometimes I wonder whether Pitchfork sits on certain albums for several days past their release dates because they don't care for them, but don't want to poo poo on the artists, either. They haven't reviewed the new OR yet, too.

Yeah they have actually:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22288-away/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dugong posted:

Here's hoping! Time to reimmerse myself in their discography.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Aww you got my hopes up.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Preoccupations (formerly known as Viet Cong) album is out on Spotify. I really love their new sound, especially the way they treat the vocal tracks. I don't think it's as good as their previous album but it's a great listen!

https://open.spotify.com/album/1BedrXdH4el7fWWIYMC99N

it's really disappointing that they caved in on the naming issue. kind of ridiculous that anyone would get so loving worked up over it.

new album is great, though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

justbread posted:

it's really disappointing that they caved in on the naming issue. kind of ridiculous that anyone would get so loving worked up over it.

new album is great, though

Being bothered by a band not being huge assholes about a dumb name is even more ridiculous.

Preoccupations is a loving terrible name though

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

T Bowl posted:

Very surprised Pitchfork didn't get around to reviewing Sunlit Youth, but they had press about it the entire time. They seem to have been doing that more and more lately though, less indie "rock" music reviews, more R&B and synth pop.

As for the album I like it, has some great tracks.. but overall not as good as the other two (I actually like Hummingbird the best).

i enjoy the new album also but i have just accepted that they'll probably never release another as good as hummingbird unless somebody elses mom dies and someone else quits the band

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Being bothered by a band not being huge assholes about a dumb name is even more ridiculous.

Preoccupations is a loving terrible name though

we can all breathe a sigh of relief now that a bunch of pissy white twentysomethings can move on and find something else to be offended by

and don't get me wrong, I respect their decision to change the name considering it was actually affecting their careers / ability to book shows. I just think the exaggerated response to their name choice was loving stupid

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

please excuse me while I finish writing this strongly worded letter to Ian Curtis

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shoulda changed their name to National Liberation Front.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Nah, Khmer Rouge would have sounded cooler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

justbread posted:

we can all breathe a sigh of relief now that a bunch of pissy white twentysomethings can move on and find something else to be offended by

and don't get me wrong, I respect their decision to change the name considering it was actually affecting their careers / ability to book shows. I just think the exaggerated response to their name choice was loving stupid

The only major criticisms I saw came from actual Vietnamese people but sure, it's just those drat white SJWs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

The only major criticisms I saw came from actual Vietnamese people but sure, it's just those drat white SJWs.

Same. Minnesota has a pretty substantial southeast Asian population, and that includes Vietnamese people. One of my best friends came over at age 6. His father was in the South Vietnam Army, so yeah Viet Cong is still a raw rub.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Viet Cong is a bad and insensitive band name. I'm not sure how anyone with any empathy or knowledge of history could disagree.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

justbread posted:

This is the worst Hot Take I've ever read.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Viet Cong is a bad and insensitive band name. I'm not sure how anyone with any empathy or knowledge of history could disagree.

I don't recall arguing that it wasn't an insensitive name, nor did I claim that Viet Cong is the high water mark of band names. is it unreasonable that someone might agree that it wasn't a great name, but still express disappointment that they were basically forced to change it out of threat of having their shows cancelled or protested? Maybe I'm a sociopath :confused: idk sorry for the derail I guess

edit: preoccupations is a good album / bad band name, and I'm glad they emerged from this controversy better off than the Morning Benders did

snack soul fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 22, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I grew up in a scene with a bunch of intentionally offensive band names (e.g., The PLO, Ancient Chinese Penis, The poo poo Whores, Ricky Retardo), and to me the most baffling thing is that you'd pick that sort of name in the first place if you're the kind of person/band who wasn't actively trying to piss people off. Doing something so deliberately provocative and then saying "oh poo poo apparently we provoked people" is just hard for me to grasp.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

I grew up in a scene with a bunch of intentionally offensive band names (e.g., The PLO, Ancient Chinese Penis, The poo poo Whores, Ricky Retardo), and to me the most baffling thing is that you'd pick that sort of name in the first place if you're the kind of person/band who wasn't actively trying to piss people off. Doing something so deliberately provocative and then saying "oh poo poo apparently we provoked people" is just hard for me to grasp.

They're Canadians born long after the Vietnam War ended. I don't think most young people get what the VC actually did.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe, but I guess I have a hard time understanding how you could be so loving dumb as to not google your own band name.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

They're Canadians born long after the Vietnam War ended. I don't think most young people get what the VC actually did.

What did they do, apart from defend their country against the vast tendrils of US imperialism?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Empire of the Sun - High and Low video out now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntlpTad3PLM

:woop:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I know a lot of people find Dirty Projectors' style annoying but I think their new single Keep Your Name is worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9tbusKyvMY

Context: Amber Coffman broke up with David Longstreth and left the band recently.

------
Kishi Bashi's new album is all over the place in the best way possible. Huge step up from Lighght, and I actually really enjoyed that one too.

bowser fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 24, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the hell out of Dirty Projectors, thanks!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cyril Sneer posted:

This is catchy and perfectly listenable but every song by these guys is almost exactly the same.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I like this a lot, thank you!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Who the hell finds Dirty Projectors annoying? gently caress that.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_ath9-Y0E

New Luke Haines song (he was in The Auteurs and Black Box Recorder). His solo albums are pretty hit or miss, but I think i'm going to like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

T Bowl posted:

Who the hell finds Dirty Projectors annoying? gently caress that.

I have tried introducing people to their music a few times and got bad reactions every time. I love 'em, tho so yeah, gently caress the haters!