Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

There are more than 10 different Sami-dialects for the ~35k Sami people living in the Northren Europe, especially Lapland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages

Here are the fun facts; currently there are more fluent Inari-Sami speakers in the Helsinki metropolitan area than in the region of Inari, and at one point there were only two remaining people fluent with one of the Karelian Sami dialects, both living in the Soviet Union. Only one of them had a phone.

The dialects are not mutually understandable, although all the remaining "main" branches more or less are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Der Kyhe posted:

There are more than 10 different Sami-dialects for the ~35k Sami people living in the Northren Europe, especially Lapland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages

Here are the fun facts; currently there are more fluent Inari-Sami speakers in the Helsinki metropolitan area than in the region of Inari, and at one point there were only two remaining people fluent with one of the Karelian Sami dialects, both living in the Soviet Union. Only one of them had a phone.

The dialects are not mutually understandable, although all the remaining "main" branches more or less are.

This reminds me of another language problem. The language known as Ayapa Zoque/Ayapaneco is thought to have only two remaining native speakers: Manuel Segovia (b. ~1936) and Isidro Velasquez (b. ~1942). The two did not get along, and didn't speak to one another for decades which frustrated anthropologists and linguists to no end.

Apparently, they decided to put their issues aside and open up a school together in 2014.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aphrodite posted:

Nice try, trickster.

This has been placed in the area by Dwarves to attack their foes the plant men!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

This reminds me of another language problem. The language known as Ayapa Zoque/Ayapaneco is thought to have only two remaining native speakers: Manuel Segovia (b. ~1936) and Isidro Velasquez (b. ~1942). The two did not get along, and didn't speak to one another for decades which frustrated anthropologists and linguists to no end.

Apparently, they decided to put their issues aside and open up a school together in 2014.

Seriously? From the Wikipedia article you linked in the same post:

quote:

In 2010 a story started circulating that the last two speakers of the Ayapaneco language were enemies and no longer talked to each other. The story was incorrect, and while it was quickly corrected it came to circulate widely.
In 2013 Vodafone launched an advertisement campaign in which they claimed to have helped the community revitalize the language, proposing an erroneous story of enmity between Don Manuel and Don Isidro.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

the 'celtic sprig'

That's what I call my drat dick.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Nth Doctor posted:

Somewhat similarly, the last two Jewish people in Afghanistan hated each other and repeatedly denounced each other to the authorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Afghanistan

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Somewhat similarly, the last two Jewish people in Afghanistan hated each other and repeatedly denounced each other to the authorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Afghanistan

Muslim countries, who had previously existed side by side with Jews for centuries, basically expelled their populations to Israel in the immediate aftermath of the 1948 war. So many Jews left that most muslim countries now have Jewish populations in the double and single digits, and almost all of these are old people who chose not to go to Israel following WW2.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Dr. Hans Suess was a German nuclear physicist known for his work in radiocarbon dating. In his later years he moved to La Jolla, California, where he would often get mail addressed to another La Jolla resident, Ted Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss. Coincidentally, many of Dr. Suess' personal papers are now located in the Geisel Library at UC San Diego.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The British army almost didn't adopt the Brody helmet in ww1. Shortly after it was introduced the army saw a massive spike in casualties admitted to field hospitals, so they figured there must have been a defect with the helmets. They soon realized however that the fatality rate had dropped because they had been overwhelmed by the influx of surviving casualties

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the bronze age Troy was known for their bootlegs, one of their most popular merchandise was fake amber made out of colored glass.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Oh poo poo, has this thread turned historical too now? Let's remedy that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GduCExxB0vw

This is ridiculously cool and looks to me suspiciously like magic, technical explanations notwithstanding

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

System Metternich posted:

Oh poo poo, has this thread turned historical too now? Let's remedy that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GduCExxB0vw

This is ridiculously cool and looks to me suspiciously like magic, technical explanations notwithstanding

They must apply this at Herculaneum, where there's an entire Roman library waiting to be read.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's super cool. Looks like there's also been work (by others) at scanning Herculaneum papyri using similar techniques, too.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there an article that mentions how they obtain the 3d-volume scan of the scroll? Like is that something that a CAT scan can do?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Greatbacon posted:

Is there an article that mentions how they obtain the 3d-volume scan of the scroll? Like is that something that a CAT scan can do?

This is the paper written by the research team in question. I haven't read it yet, but I'd imagine that technical details can be found in there

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
jesus was the first documented homosexual to suck a dick for a haircut

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

System Metternich posted:

This is the paper written by the research team in question. I haven't read it yet, but I'd imagine that technical details can be found in there

Sweet, thanks for the link.

Quick skim says they used x-ray–based micro–computed tomography (micro-CT) which a quick google says is the same realm as a medical CAT scan, just on a smaller scale with higher levels of detail. Cool.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Nonviolent J posted:

Stunning, if true.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Jesus gay, so what?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The British army almost didn't adopt the Brody helmet in ww1. Shortly after it was introduced the army saw a massive spike in casualties admitted to field hospitals, so they figured there must have been a defect with the helmets. They soon realized however that the fatality rate had dropped because they had been overwhelmed by the influx of surviving casualties

Related, this same sort of process was how the Americans studied and improved their bombers' armor protection during WW2. Standard practice until 1944 or so was to look at where damaged planes had most been shot up and armor those parts. Around 1944, however, engineers realized they needed to study which parts of damaged aircraft weren't suffering extensive damage, because planes getting hit in those areas typically didn't return to base at all.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nonviolent J posted:

i cut myself on this post

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Related, this same sort of process was how the Americans studied and improved their bombers' armor protection during WW2. Standard practice until 1944 or so was to look at where damaged planes had most been shot up and armor those parts. Around 1944, however, engineers realized they needed to study which parts of damaged aircraft weren't suffering extensive damage, because planes getting hit in those areas typically didn't return to base at all.

Abraham Wald: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Wald
https://medium.com/@penguinpress/an-excerpt-from-how-not-to-be-wrong-by-jordan-ellenberg-664e708cfc3d#.ht10lwzac

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

i cut myself on this post

you should be more careful

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to post this to a GBS historical thread, but welp :shrug: I am doing a research project on 1880 Detroit, and came across this gem:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now I understand why the Danube waltz has so many pauses.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rutibex posted:

I was going to post this to a GBS historical thread, but welp :shrug: I am doing a research project on 1880 Detroit, and came across this gem:

That's actually kind of sad

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rutibex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a31vY8YNTg

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That's actually kind of sad

Even sadder is she probably weighed like 220lbs which wouldn't even lift an eyebrow these days.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Going off a google books search, she was an orphan and the woman she wrote to was her only living family. It's the suicide of a lonely woman who was mocked all her life. It's more than kind of sad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Going off a google books search, she was an orphan and the woman she wrote to was her only living family. It's the suicide of a lonely woman who was mocked all her life. It's more than kind of sad.

drat son, I didn't even follow up on that one. I assumed there would be nothing! This tid bit is going in my paper, thanks.

Its a sad story, but when you read 19th century newspapers all day it just kind of blends into the general sadness:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

They just didn't investigate poo poo back then.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bertrand Hustle posted:

They just didn't investigate poo poo back then.

They did, but only if you were the right sort. That girl evidently wasn't.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Despite the comical hats, the late 19th century was pretty loving dark.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Despite the comical hats, the late 19th century was pretty loving dark.

Even the hats were a problem:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did someone say hat problems? Slightly later than late 19th century.

quote:

Although the initial brawl was broken up by police, the fights continued to escalate the next evening. Gangs of teenagers prowled the streets wielding large sticks, sometimes with a nail driven through the top, looking for pedestrians wearing straw hats and beating those who resisted. One man claimed that his hat was taken and the group who had taken his hat joined a mob of about 1,000 that was snatching hats all along Amsterdam Avenue.

Hats are serious business.

e. I should have taken cues from the newspaper posts earlier, Wikipedia sources some gems

zedprime has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Sep 25, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hat crimes are nothing to laugh about.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Straw Hat Smashing Orgy is a good name for a punk folk band.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hat crimes are nothing to laugh about.

And hat crimes against fashion! That's a very somber matter as well.

Via: http://yesterdaysprint.tumblr.com/post/150851578149/the-daily-republican-monongahela-pennsylvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I get enough brutal Victorian era murders watching Ripper Street, thanks.